Incorrect Tax Codes

magic roundabout

magic roundabout

I've just checked my tax codes for the new financial year and realised they have been wrong for the last couple of years!

My codes don't have the prefix S so I've paying the English bands even thou I'm living in Scotland. Unfortunately, it means I'll owe them a fair bit of cash! 

My address is correct so not sure why this happened. 

Anyone else had this issue!

Any chance you moved to a new build ?

My daughter moved to a new build in Midlothian a couple of years ago, and it has only been in the last month that by chance she discovered that herself, and other people she spoke to in the new scheme, were also on English tax codes.

Apparently, and it sounds unbelievable, when she moved from Edinburgh to the new build in Midlothian, she and her neighbours were put onto the English tax system, and there you will stay until you phone up and personally ask to be moved to a Scottish tax code. 

Sounds crazy, and you would think that the Holyrood parliament would be aware of this.

And yes, you will have to pay any tax due.

If you have not moved, then sorry I have no idea.

magic roundabout
12 minutes ago, Sirudi said:

Any chance you moved to a new build ?

My daughter moved to a new build in Midlothian a couple of years ago, and it has only been in the last month that by chance she discovered that herself, and other people she spoke to in the new scheme, were also on English tax codes.

Apparently, and it sounds unbelievable, when she moved from Edinburgh to the new build in Midlothian, she and her neighbours were put onto the English tax system, and there you will stay until you phone up and personally ask to be moved to a Scottish tax code. 

Sounds crazy, and you would think that the Holyrood parliament would be aware of this.

And yes, you will have to pay any tax due.

If you have not moved, then sorry I have no idea.

No traditional Edinburgh tenement...My wife's code is correct!

Agree seems crazy they can't get this right! Looking at some other websites seems to happen a lot (even people in living in England paying Scottish tax).

Hope your daughter didn't get stung for too much. 

Lone Striker
31 minutes ago, magic roundabout said:

No traditional Edinburgh tenement...My wife's code is correct!

Agree seems crazy they can't get this right! Looking at some other websites seems to happen a lot (even people in living in England paying Scottish tax).

Hope your daughter didn't get stung for too much. 

Sounds a bit of a slog, but you need to contact HMRC and explain it to them.  SOme info and contact phone number here -

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/check-tax-code/wrong-tax-code/

magic roundabout
17 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Sounds a bit of a slog, but you need to contact HMRC and explain it to them.  SOme info and contact phone number here -

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/check-tax-code/wrong-tax-code/

Cheers for that.....I'll give them a buzz tomorrow.  The A19 section looks interesting as I think I meet that criteria which would save me about half of what is due! 

If carlsberg did rivals...
10 hours ago, magic roundabout said:

I've just checked my tax codes for the new financial year and realised they have been wrong for the last couple of years!

My codes don't have the prefix S so I've paying the English bands even thou I'm living in Scotland. Unfortunately, it means I'll owe them a fair bit of cash! 

My address is correct so not sure why this happened. 

Anyone else had this issue!

Do you work for a company who has their payroll in England? Something similar happened to a mate of mine a couple of years ago, due to company payroll being down south, for some reason it linked him with an English tax code.

magic roundabout
5 hours ago, If carlsberg did rivals... said:

Do you work for a company who has their payroll in England? Something similar happened to a mate of mine a couple of years ago, due to company payroll being down south, for some reason it linked him with an English tax code

No...work in the public sector so don't think its a payroll issue.

I've worked what has happened....I was abroad for 13 months in 2021. It looks like I was moved off the Scottish tax bands then.  When I returned I updated my address (back to Scotland) but it's kept me on the English tax rates.

Looking at the HMRC guidance it appears I've done everything correctly in terms of informing them. I think it's a system glitch.

davemclaren
7 minutes ago, magic roundabout said:

I've worked what has happened....I was abroad for 13 months in 2021. It looks like I was moved off the Scottish tax bands then.  When I returned I updated my address (back to Scotland) but it's kept me on the English tax rates.

Looking at the HMRC guidance it appears I've done everything correctly in terms of informing them. I think it's a system glitch.

Claim political asylum in England and you should be fine. 😎

il Duce McTarkin
59 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Claim political asylum in England and you should be fine. 😎

Will end up with a Rwandan tax code.

davemclaren
23 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Will end up with a Rwandan tax code.

🫢

Jim_Duncan

I don’t think tax codes are the only issue here. 

12 hours ago, magic roundabout said:

...I was abroad for 13 months in 2021.

magic roundabout
25 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Why?

Roxy Hearts
8 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

😅

Roxy Hearts
8 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

😅

Edited by Roxy Hearts
Dp

Jim_Duncan
7 hours ago, magic roundabout said:

Why?

Well, on our planet, we have 12 months ;) 

Edited by Jim_Duncan

Helzibob
23 hours ago, magic roundabout said:

You made me check mine and luckily it starts S. I’m in that middle band that doesn’t exist in England. Hope you don’t get stung for too much in back taxes.