Third place Euro football ( merged )

Gimme an H...

Gimme an H...

Does anyone have to hand a decent 'explainer' on what the eventualities are for finishing third, placing in the SC final pertaining to Europa League Conference league?

I had a decent link a couple of months ago but can't find it anymore.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Watt-Zeefuik

Lord Beni of Gorgie

So long as Aberdeen dont win the cup we are in Europa League final round qualifier,

Win the qualifier Europa League group of 9, 4 home 4 away, lose the qualifier Conference League group of 9 4 home 4 away. Europe stretches into January 2025.

Mikey1874

Same arrangement next season too though after that need good results in Europe next season to avoid more qualifiers. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Victorian
6 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

So long as Aberdeen dont win the cup we are in Europa League final round qualifier,

Win the qualifier Europa League group of 9, 4 home 4 away, lose the qualifier Conference League group of 9 4 home 4 away. Europe stretches into January 2025.

I think the Conference format has been changed to 6 matches vs 6 opponents.  

Victorian

It's not a group of 9 as well.  It's one big league table.  You just play 8 or 6 other teams.

Chuck Berry
10 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Conference League is less,  3 home, 3 away against different opponents.

It's not groups either, is one massive league table ranked 1-36.

Luckies1874

Posted this on another thread a few weeks ago. Details some dates etc.....

Went to have a look at potential dates for European games later in the year, so I could put them in the calendar and I've ended up spending wayyyyy too long looking at the new format etc :vrface:

But to be fair I think it's pretty exciting and it's really huge for our club to be getting involved both because of the financial windfall it brings but more importantly because it raises our profile each and every season we can achieve this. As the capital of Scotland it's important we as the 3rd largest club in a football mad country are competing every season even if it's routinely in the Conference League.

There have been plenty of posts with some of this info already on the thread but just to confirm a few things and hopefully save some people the trouble of looking for themselves, I've put the likely dates of interest below. It's my strong view that 3rd is wrapped up so the only 'threat' to the below is Aberdeen winning the Scottish Cup - improbable in my view! 

Therefore I think this is what things will look like for Hearts:

The Europa League Play off Draw is on Monday 5th August and the games are on Thursday 22nd August and Thursday 29th August.

The draw for the Group stages of both the Europa League and Conference League are on Friday 30th August so whether we win or lose the Europa League Play Off round we will be involved in that. The difference between the two is that we will either face either 8 games (EL) or 6 games (CL). These will be against either 8 or 6 different teams with 4 or 3 home/away games. This is in a league format. 

Realistically we will be up against it to win the Europa League Play Off and that being the case we would fall into the Conference League and play 6 matches:

Thursday 3rd October

Thursday 24th October

Thursday 7th November

Thursday 28th November

Thursday 12th December

Thursday 19th December

If we did somehow win the EL Play off we would have an additional 2 Thursday matches

23rd January 2025

30th January 2025

Thursday 19th December would also be replaced by Thursday 26th September. 

Of the 36 teams in the Group Stage (in both EL and CL competitions) only 12 will be eliminated leaving 24 teams so it's not out of the realms of possibility we could be competitive in hoping to avoid elimination. The top 8 teams in the League will automatically qualify for the last 16 with teams 9-24 playing in a 2 legged knock out round. These games are played:

Thursday 13th February 2025

Thursday 20th February 2025

That's probably optimistic enough for now 😂

As things stand Hearts would be in Pot 5 for the Conference League draw meaning we fall seeding wise in spots 25-30 of the likely participants. 

One thing that immediately seems obvious is that the football calendar is once again getting squeezed tremendously. When you consider Scotland have 6 Nations League games in Sept-Nov too there are going to be very few free midweeks. A big squad required, so even more reason to be pleased with what has gone down in the last few days. Anyway, I hope this is somewhat helpful! 

LarrysRightFoot

UEFA are an utter farce. A bunch of idiots. 

1 minute ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I think it's refreshing. The current group stage format is terribly boring and ran it's course, more so for champions league though. 

It will be extremely beneficial to get europa league with the extra games and more money with the new format.

Victorian

It's a tremendous format and can easily be expanded further.  But it doesn't half put some strain on a squad.  We might end up playing near 55-57 matches next season.  

soonbe110
18 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

It’s not groups, it’s one big league, everyone plays 8 games in the Europa league and at the end top 8 go to last 16, teams finishing 9-24 play-off for last 16 place, then it’s straight knockout.  Conf league works exactly same except teams only play 6 games against 6 different teams. 

Luckies1874
2 minutes ago, Tour22 said:

It will be extremely beneficial to get europa league with the extra games and more money with the new format.

Not necessarily true as we are far less likely to get many results in the Europa League than we are in the Conference League as we saw with winning the 2 games v Riga. Yes an extra 2 games but could be 2 heavy defeats and means we have the workload of Thursday-Sunday. Tricky one as obviously higher profile. 

soonbe110
7 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Looks a pretty exciting format to me. Lots of interest in just about every game that’s getting played. 

thehibsareintheirbeds

Somehow missed all of this! Intrigued by how it'll all pan out, be amazing to get into EL and the extra games that go with it but will make do with conference!

Three years in a row of European football is just brilliant

LarrysRightFoot
4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Looks a pretty exciting format to me. Lots of interest in just about every game that’s getting played. 

I cannot get my head around it at all - let’s see how it plays out. I suspect it’ll be scrapped after a few years personally. 

karipidis
20 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Went to have a look at potential dates for European games later in the year, so I could put them in the calendar and I've ended up spending wayyyyy too long looking at the new format etc :vrface:

But to be fair I think it's pretty exciting and it's really huge for our club to be getting involved both because of the financial windfall it brings but more importantly because it raises our profile each and every season we can achieve this. As the capital of Scotland it's important we as the 3rd largest club in a football mad country are competing every season even if it's routinely in the Conference League.

There have been plenty of posts with some of this info already on the thread but just to confirm a few things and hopefully save some people the trouble of looking for themselves, I've put the likely dates of interest below. It's my strong view that 3rd is wrapped up so the only 'threat' to the below is Aberdeen winning the Scottish Cup - improbable in my view! 

The Europa League Play off Draw is on Monday 5th August and the games are on Thursday 22nd August and Thursday 29th August.

The draw for the Group stages of both the Europa League and Conference League are on Friday 30th August so whether we win or lose the Europa League Play Off round we will be involved in that. The difference between the two is that we will either face either 8 games (EL) or 6 games (CL). These will be against either 8 or 6 different teams with 4 or 3 home/away games. This is in a league format. 

Realistically we will be up against it to win the Europa League Play Off and that being the case we would fall into the Conference League and play 6 matches:

Thursday 3rd October

Thursday 24th October

Thursday 7th November

Thursday 28th November

Thursday 12th December

Thursday 19th December

If we did somehow win the EL Play off we would have an additional 2 Thursday matches

23rd January 2025

30th January 2025

Of the 36 teams in the Group Stage (in both EL and CL competitions) only 12 will be eliminated leaving 24 teams so it's not out of the realms of possibility we could be competitive in hoping to avoid elimination. The top 8 teams in the League will automatically qualify for the last 16 with teams 9-24 playing in a 2 legged knock out round. These games are played:

As things stand Hearts would be in Pot 5 for the Conference League draw meaning we fall seeding wise in spots 25-30 of the likely participants. 

One thing that immediately seems obvious is that the football calendar is once again getting squeezed tremendously. When you consider Scotland have 6 Nations League games in Sept-Nov too there are going to be very few free midweeks. A big squad required, so even more reason to be pleased with what has gone down in the last few days. Anyway, I hope this is somewhat helpful! 

with this format I assume teams do not drop into the below competition. For example if you finish 3rd in group in Europa you drop into conference. 

Nookie Bear
16 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

It’s not groups, it’s one big league, everyone plays 8 games in the Europa league and at the end top 8 go to last 16, teams finishing 9-24 play-off for last 16 place, then it’s straight knockout.  Conf league works exactly same except teams only play 6 games against 6 different teams. 

Had a quick look and i think we are probably around the level of the play off round following the league stage (i think!)

That would give us a wee chance of reaching the last 16 knockout (agian, i think!)

Mikey1874
5 minutes ago, karipidis said:

with this format I assume teams do not drop into the below competition. For example if you finish 3rd in group in Europa you drop into conference. 

Only drop down from qualifiers from next season. 

Gundermann
19 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It's a tremendous format and can easily be expanded further.  But it doesn't half put some strain on a squad.  We might end up playing near 55-57 matches next season.  

Agree on both. But, it's good we've been blooding some youngsters this season.

boag1874
9 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Agree, plus selfishly for clubs like us it gives a better chance to get into the knockout rounds

Victorian
1 minute ago, Gundermann said:

Agree on both. But, it's good we've been blooding some youngsters this season.

:Agree:

That's the absolute key for a club that might otherwise want to keep a smaller squad.  Options from the youth ranks.  We're going to need 4 or 5 to be fairly regularly featured in starting XIs and squads.  

It's asking for trouble to assemble too big a squad of senior players.  You probably need to control the numbers and rely on younger players as much as possible.  Denholm and Tait are now fully blooded.  We'll be trying to introduce others after the split.  

boag1874
12 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Correct, teams ranked 1-8 will get a pass straight through to the r16, teams 9-24 will play an extra knockout playoff round, with the winners going through to the r16, teams finishing below 24th are out

AlphonseCapone

This does look interesting actually. Definitely needed a refresh in Europe, was all getting a bit stale.

joondalupjambo

Big pressure on the club to have enough players to compete on several fronts, big pressure on the players in terms of games to be played in a season and big pressure on fans to be able to attend games due to cost.  That is not just for us as a club but others to, with top clubs now getting to the point of saying enough is enough.  Will be an interesting next few years to see what happens.

Edited by joondalupjambo

Boyces beard
39 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Thursday 3rd October

Thursday 24th October

Thursday 7th November

Thursday 28th November

Thursday 12th December

Thursday 19th December

23rd January 2025

30th January 2025

Thanks mate 👊

hmfc_liam06
53 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Only thing you got right there is Europa League is 8 games :rofl:

karipidis

I don’t argue the need for a big squad but we actually didn’t struggle that badly with games after European games in 22/23 season. The issue was the collapse in Feb/March time. 

Daveandal
2 minutes ago, karipidis said:

I don’t argue the need for a big squad but we actually didn’t struggle that badly with games after European games in 22/23 season. The issue was the collapse in Feb/March time. 

Totally agree. 

The squad doesn't mean certain players playing once a week but knowing when someone needs a rest. That can come at anytime.

When we went on the bad run last year Cochrane was running on empty but due to Kingsley being out we just kept playing him. We need the intelligence to know when to rest players not just doing it for the sake of it.

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

What’s the prize money for table placings in both - Europa and Conference Leauge?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
9 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Only thing you got right there is Europa League is 8 games :rofl:

Not really, 

So long as Aberdeen dont win the cup we are in Europa League final round qualifier 

Win the qualifier Europa League group of 9, 4 home 4 away

Europe stretches into January 2025.

The only thing that is apparently wrong is the Conference League, I was led to believe they were all 36 teams which would be broken down into 4 sections of 9, hilarious eh. 

Mikey1874
19 minutes ago, Jambo dans les Pyrenees said:

What’s the prize money for table placings in both - Europa and Conference Leauge?

Not sure if this is clear

martoon
1 hour ago, Luckies1874 said:

Thursday 3rd October

Thursday 24th October

Thursday 7th November

Thursday 28th November

Thursday 12th December

Thursday 19th December

23rd January 2025

30th January 2025

Everything a Jambo needs to know and a Hibby doesn't.

How does the League Cup group thing work? 🤔 😜

Pans Jambo
9 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Not sure if this is clear

Well that cleared that up :cornette:

I'm going to fire up the quantum computer and see what it makes of this 🙄

Italian Lambretta

Just had a look at some of the opposition if we manage to get through the Europa play-off stage 🤣

There are some cracking away ties but feck me we are getting bent over and rogered silly.

Victorian
17 minutes ago, martoon said:

Everything a Jambo needs to know and a Hibby doesn't.

How does the League Cup group thing work? 🤔 😜

It's all a bit different to the days of Hibs eventually being invited to and getting all the way to the semi final stage of the European Cup.  Heroically getting through round after round.  Rott-Weiss Essen,  Djurgarden,  eh,  em,  well just those two really.

Edited by Victorian

hmfc_liam06
39 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Not really, 

So long as Aberdeen dont win the cup we are in Europa League final round qualifier 

Win the qualifier Europa League group of 9, 4 home 4 away

Europe stretches into January 2025.

The only thing that is apparently wrong is the Conference League, I was led to believe they were all 36 teams which would be broken down into 4 sections of 9, hilarious eh. 

They're not groups of 9, it's two leagues of 36.

There is only 6 games in the Conference, not 8.

And the Conference doesn't run until January, it finishes in December.

Close though.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

They're not groups of 9, it's two leagues of 36.

There is only 6 games in the Conference, not 8.

And the Conference doesn't run until January, it finishes in December.

Close though.

I didnt say the Conference ran to December. And you will play 4 at home and away, the indicators this will be split into 9s

hmfc_liam06
2 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

I didnt say the Conference ran to December. And you will play 4 at home and away, the indicators this will be split into 9s

There will not be 8 games in the Conference League. There will be 6.

Victorian
1 minute ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Eh?  What indicators?

It's 1 group and table of 36 teams in each competition.  The section of 9 is in order to determine who plays who.  No league tables of 9.  No group of 9.  

All teams in one big league table.

hmfc_liam06
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Eh?  What indicators?

It's 1 group and table of 36 teams in each competition.  The section of 9 is in order to determine who plays who.  No league tables of 9.  No group of 9.  

Correct. 

Conference League is split into 6 pots. Each team will play 1 team per pot. 6 games

Europa League & Champions League is split into 4 pots. Each team will play 2 team per pot. 8 games.

Top 8 automatically proceed to last 16.

Teams 9-24 compete in a two legged playoff, with the 8 winners joining the top 8 in the last 16.

Teams 25-36 are sent packing.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Victorian
1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Correct. 

Conference League is split into 6 pots. Each team will play 1 team per pot. 6 games

Europa League & Champions League is split into 4 pots. Each team will play 2 team per pot. 8 games.

:Agree:

Victorian

The Europa League will be a bit difficult.  The qualifier will be hard enough.  Let's assume we're in the Conference for a minute...

6 matches.  An 'even' WDL record is 2-2-2 = 8 points.  Therefore a team might expect to be around the middle of the table with 8 points.  Maybe a bit below.  What would achieve 24th place and progression to the last 16 play-off?  It might take 8 but might be possible with 6.  I couldn't see it being fewer than 6.

There's no reason whatsoever that we are incapable of getting 6 points from 6 matches.  Entirely reasonable to aim to stay in after the group stage.

Edited by Victorian

martoon
26 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It's all a bit different to the days of Hibs eventually being invited to and getting all the way to the semi final stage of the European Cup.  Heroically getting through round after round.  Rott-Weiss Essen,  Djurgarden,  eh,  em,  well just those two really.

And the "away" leg at Djurgarden was at Firhill.

Jet set stuff.

I recall a poster on dotnut suggesting that a set of medals should be struck for the players (well, their families) who took part in this Hibs trailblazing.

About a decade ago now but I still can't believe it.

King Of The Cat Cafe

So, could Aberdeen win the cup and qualify for Europe - and get relegated via a play-off in the same season?

Luckies1874
3 minutes ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

So, could Aberdeen win the cup and qualify for Europe - and get relegated via a play-off in the same season?

Yes. 
None of that will happen. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
27 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

There will not be 8 games in the Conference League. There will be 6.

26 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Eh?  What indicators?

Obviously changed since the original changes were mooted. However to be clear certain parts of my original reply are entirely correct, what a day you two must be having banging me to rights :)

hmfc_liam06
12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The Europa League will be a bit difficult.  The qualifier will be hard enough.  Let's assume we're in the Conference for a minute...

6 matches.  An 'even' WDL record is 2-2-2 = 8 points.  Therefore a team might expect to be around the middle of the table with 8 points.  Maybe a bit below.  What would achieve 24th place and progression to the last 16 play-off?  It might take 8 but might be possible with 6.  I couldn't see it being fewer than 6.

There's no reason whatsoever that we are incapable of getting 6 points from 6 matches.  Entirely reasonable to aim to stay in after the group stage.

Would be interesting if there was even a hypothetical Conference table, so that we could see who we'd be up against but most importantly, where we'd be seeded.

My gut is we'd be roughly 5th pot, so 6 points wouldn't be unachievable. All ifs and buts at the moment.

We'd be in for some outrageous ties should we make the Europa.

• davemclaren changed the title to Third place Euro football ( merged )