Hearts Euro football 24/25 thread ( merged )

Gimme an H...

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, ramrod said:

You've only got to look at yesterday to see the difference  between the two.

McInnes has always set up his teams a particular way, its tried and tested and fairly easy to achieve. 

His teams have always played percentage football which has largely been successful up here 

Naismith is implementing a completely different style of football,  a much harder brand which is difficult to achieve, given the calibre of player he can attract.

For a rookie manager to have achieved what he has achieved,  while playing a possession,  attacking based ethos is far more impressive than McInnes imo.

We are sometimes to quick to ignore what is in front of us as Hearts fans. 

Nah, Hearts from 4th to 3rd is good but for me not "manager of the year" award.

Don't even think Bob won it on  his two jumps from championship to 3rd, so 4th and a fairly strong position to 3rd isn't exceptional. 

I'm  not ignoring what he's done, it's just not as unexpected as killies performance over the season. 

If it was fairly easy to achieve then every team would be doing it with as much success, but they can't and don't so don't agree with that.

I also don't think our brand of football has changed that much,  we are a bit more Conservative,  but our style is still possession based and build from the back.

We are defensively better, that's been the big difference.

Killie have had a brilliant and unexpected season as have Dundee.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Victorian

• JimmyCant

• Daveandal

2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

That's not the criteria for manager of the year.

Kilie from championship, 1th to 4th and finishing above the likes of Aberdeen deserves credit. Killie have far out performed expectations. 

Hearts have went from 4th to 3rd, it's good but McInnes edges the award for me.

Dundee have done really well too.

Rodgers will get it anyway.

You make a good point re McInnes but Naismith has achieved third place (likely) and two semi finals in his first year of management.  That's really good going.

davemclaren
20 minutes ago, RENE said:

You make a good point re McInnes but Naismith has achieved third place (likely) and two semi finals in his first year of management.  That's really good going.

No more than some expect every year from him.  😎

db211833
6 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Fair enough, but given that winning EVERY game isn’t possible, the next target is to win as many as possible. I submit we’d win more in the Conference than we would in the Europa. Winning feels good. losing feels bad. Aside from which, we’d have a fair chance of getting out of the big group in the Conference and progressing a bit further. 

From a longer term perspective conference makes more sense too. To keep getting group stage football Scotland needs a good year for the coefficient next year. Rangers run to the final drop off next year I think.

db211833
2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Nah, Hearts from 4th to 3rd is good but for me not "manager of the year" award.

Don't even think Bob won it on  his two jumps from championship to 3rd, so 4th and a fairly strong position to 3rd isn't exceptional. 

I'm  not ignoring what he's done, it's just not as unexpected as killies performance over the season. 

If it was fairly easy to achieve then every team would be doing it with as much success, but they can't and don't so don't agree with that.

I also don't think our brand of football has changed that much,  we are a bit more Conservative,  but our style is still possession based and build from the back.

We are defensively better, that's been the big difference.

Killie have had a brilliant and unexpected season as have Dundee.

Disagree about the style ov football to an extent.  The possession has much more purpose now. Previously it was often possession for possessions sake. And I am not a Neilson hater.

johnking123

We really should make a fortune next season. Hotel fully established,  European money and think a couple of player sales. We have to use that money to bring real quality in so we can be more competitive in Europe.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, db211833 said:

Disagree about the style ov football to an extent.  The possession has much more purpose now. Previously it was often possession for possessions sake. And I am not a Neilson hater.

Disagree tbh very similar and actually less goals this season, by a distance. 

More resilient and better defensively which is the difference v last season, imo that is not a debate. Our defence has been far better with Kent being a massive difference.

Much more solid especially away from home which as resulted in us getting  more wins.

Style is still possession based and we tend to grow into games.

We score less goals but that doesn't matter as we aren't chucking as many goals in with imo Kent key to this as wee are stronger in the air and at defending set pieces, which was a massive issue all laat season.

If anything has changed we are more pragmatic and less open.

Bad Religion
16 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Disagree tbh very similar and actually less goals this season, by a distance. 

More resilient and better defensively which is the difference v last season, imo that is not a debate. Our defence has been far better with Kent being a massive difference.

Much more solid especially away from home which as resulted in us getting  more wins.

Style is still possession based and we tend to grow into games.

We score less goals but that doesn't matter as we aren't chucking as many goals in with imo Kent key to this as wee are stronger in the air and at defending set pieces, which was a massive issue all laat season.

If anything has changed we are more pragmatic and less open.

Remind us which league your Bob is operating in now? 

FarmerTweedy
14 hours ago, Marty-man said:

They do get a bigger award. They win a trophy, get their name on a cup and in the record books. If you want to award them 'Euro Prize' on top of that, then give them the lowest available spot. Sorry - but we are now reaching the stage in this country where 3rd place is the real competition.  The fact that a team only needs to win five games (possbily some of them by penalties) to get the group spot ahead of a team that's put in the hard graft for 38 games, is beyond bonkers and does absolutely hee-haw for the coefficient.

Forget the uglies - there is only one real competition in our top league, where the majority of clubs can compete and have at least a chance of achieving success ... Third place - and THAT should be rewarded properly.

Oh and BTW -  I wasn't too bothered about the cup this season. If we won it - great, but my main focus was on that third spot. This is the last season for a while, where third spot will gve us guaranteed group stage football and we HAD to win it. And THAT is the main reason why, in my mind, the most important game last weekend wasn't our match on the Sunday, but the Aberdeen - Celtic game the day before. Celtic HAD to beat Aberdeen. If Aberdeen had managed to win that shootout I would have been a nervous wreck until the final. The fact that they could trash our season, and win THAT prize, by winning just five games (at least one of which was by penalties) just doesn't bear thinking about.

"For a while" being till next season!

Pasquale for King
21 hours ago, Hansel said:

You make a good point, although, none of those victories over the uglies were away from home, which they would need to achieve if they want to stand a chance.

Good point, I think we are safe enough 

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, davemclaren said:

No more than some expect every year from him.  😎

Hopefully his bosses expect that, especially with the draws we got in the cups. 

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, db211833 said:

It’s pretty similar, especially when only Nieuwenhof and Vargas have actually been the only different players midfield to front. 

Watt-Zeefuik
12 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Incidentally I think McInnes should be manager of the season for his work at Kilmarnock this year. A side he took over in the championship then took them to the SPL and spent their first season struggling to avoid relegation.

Took him a season to consolidate and now he's in a Euro spot. The sheep would hire him if they could, I think they might be feeling differently about the man who gave them top 4 finishes season after season. But they already shot their bolt there.

I wouldn't be surprised if hubz make a move on him somewhere along the line. 

Could do a lot worse than him for next Scotland manager when the position comes open. Killie isn’t a bad place to show how you set up a team and develop players to go against sides with far deeper talent.

davemclaren
51 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Hopefully his bosses expect that, especially with the draws we got in the cups. 

An away trip to Kilmarnock isn't that easy. 

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

An away trip to Kilmarnock isn't that easy. 

Our recent record there is fantastic, probably better than anywhere apart from ER. 

davemclaren
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Our recent record there is fantastic, probably better than anywhere apart from ER. 

Which is great but still not an easy place to go for a cup tie. 

johnking123

McInnes is a good manger. Football is not pretty,  but it's effective.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Which is great but still not an easy place to go for a cup tie. 

Probably the hardest cup tie we had, and played better than we did in any of the other 4 games with them. 

gregzy2k7

For me Mcinnes should get Moty imo, Killies budget is not that big and he has recruited most of the players who have got them 4th this season. Done an outstanding job there.

Buster HMFC
On 28/04/2024 at 11:08, Bazzas right boot said:

Yes it was, 3rd was wrapped up and the cup game had no inpact on 3rd place.

Only a fool would think different.

Calling me hibs, did you think of that all by yourself?

Clever and original. 

How's the weather in Dingwall 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Buster HMFC said:

Over a week to think of a reply?

Did you think of that all but yourself. 

If you keep trolling you'll get punted again.

Buster HMFC
3 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Over a week to think of a reply?

Did you think of that all but yourself. 

If you keep trolling you'll get punted again.

I come on on game days mate. I work Monday to Friday and have more of a life than coming on here everyday. Punted for what cyber polisman 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Buster HMFC said:

I come on on game days mate. I work Monday to Friday and have more of a life than coming on here everyday. Punted for what cyber polisman 

You came on and your first thought was to troll me, ya wee weirdo.

Away back under your rock and bother some other poster.

Buster HMFC
1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

You came on and your first thought was to troll me, ya wee weirdo.

Away back under your rock and bother some other poster.

No I came on and had a notification from you. If you cannae handle it don't reply ya wee snitch.

Cameronstheman

Sickner the day but nout new through in the weeg

Could be hibs/Lorient

Malinga the Swinga
5 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Are we really supporting a win for TFKAR tomorrow?

Or a draw, just not a Kilmarnock win.

db211833
2 hours ago, Buster HMFC said:

Seriously get a grip. I disagree with BRB a lot. But he's not hibs ffs.

Buster HMFC
Just now, db211833 said:

Seriously get a grip. I disagree with BRB a lot. But he's not hibs ffs.

Cannae believe you've got 2 accounts tosh😂😂

db211833
4 minutes ago, Buster HMFC said:

Cannae believe you've got 2 accounts tosh😂😂

Yeah and we go so far as set up fantasy disagreements. Away and boil your head.

jr ewing
13 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Or a draw, just not a Kilmarnock win.

Draw it is then. 

Gorgierools

I'll predict a win against rangers to seal it then 😁

Buster HMFC
2 hours ago, db211833 said:

Yeah and we go so far as set up fantasy disagreements. Away and boil your head.

😂😂 really pal. Terrible comeback 

Sooks
15 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Are we really supporting a win for TFKAR tomorrow?

A draw for me . Rangers are spending a lot of money and the less that comes back in the better . Twenty odd million effectively bails them out . I think the automatic CL places are possibly ending after next season for Scotland . Maybe a better chance of winning a cup final against them if they are forced to cut the squad quality to match income 

Chuck Berry

Bring on the 8 (minimum) European games 🇪🇺

Mikey1874

At least 4 European trips. 4 games at Tynecastle.

Happy days.

PapaShango
Just now, Mikey1874 said:

At least 4 European trips. 4 games at Tynecastle.

Happy days.

Tremendous for us and financially massive. Should come out with more this time as well due to not needing to upgrade parts of the stadium. Hopefully get a few decent trips for the fans as well.

AndrewB

A lot of similar threads currently.

Lots of opportunities to say YAAAAAAS.

alicante jambo

Can anyone post the dates for the euro games please?

colinmaroon
6 hours ago, Sooks said:

A draw for me . Rangers are spending a lot of money and the less that comes back in the better . Twenty odd million effectively bails them out . I think the automatic CL places are possibly ending after next season for Scotland . Maybe a better chance of winning a cup final against them if they are forced to cut the squad quality to match income 

Today penalty didn't work; ploy 2, get a man sent off; keeper has 3 howlers v his penalty save.

Whatever reservations we might have about; about Clark at crosses, he's still the first rated Scottish keeper up here.

• davemclaren changed the title to Euro football 24/25 thread ( merged )
tartofmidlothian

:yas:

We welcome the challenge! So when do we get an idea who we'll be playing in the Europa League?

tartofmidlothian

Also just realised we're guaranteed European football until six days before Christmas! 

• davemclaren changed the title to Hearts Euro football 24/25 thread ( merged )
maybolejambo
42 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

:yas:

We welcome the challenge! So when do we get an idea who we'll be playing in the Europa League?

Screenshot_20240505_184727_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.049d108a30a766d12b37b0583b61efd5.jpg

Daveandal

Looking at this season and last season when we got Zurich... it's not impossible to get a winnable tie. 

We'd probably get a few tankings but the prestige of playing in it would be fantastic.

kingantti1874
11 minutes ago, Daveandal said:

Looking at this season and last season when we got Zurich... it's not impossible to get a winnable tie. 

We'd probably get a few tankings but the prestige of playing in it would be fantastic.

if we want to move forward then we have to take it on.  If we do receive a smelling or 2 fans need to stick with the management team 

JimmyCant
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, maybolejambo said:

Screenshot_20240505_184727_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.049d108a30a766d12b37b0583b61efd5.jpg

Serbian entrant is Vojvodina 

Austrian is Rapid Vienna

Belgium is Antwerp

Turkey only at semi final stage but Besiktas and Trabzonspor are still in

Edited by JimmyCant

16 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

if we want to move forward then we have to take it on.  If we do receive a smelling or 2 fans need to stick with the management team 

Correct, what you learn from the experience at that level is invaluable, if we are realistic, we look at who we are playing, and their finances compared to ours, all these factors should give us a level of expectation in terms of results. 
Tynie on a European night is quite something and if the crowd does its job, we might pull off a wee upset

Daveandal
2 hours ago, sac said:

Correct, what you learn from the experience at that level is invaluable, if we are realistic, we look at who we are playing, and their finances compared to ours, all these factors should give us a level of expectation in terms of results. 
Tynie on a European night is quite something and if the crowd does its job, we might pull off a wee upset

Absolutely agree. A side note of caution we do have a few trumpets who will be raging, kicking hats outside the stadium, flying planes and booing if we lost say 2-0 to a Spurs etc.

Its such an exciting time though and with the new format it allows us to make money but also gives us more changes of qualifying. Even in the Europa.