Player of the year awards

copa-mundial

copa-mundial

In years gone by, it's usually a player from the league winner which obviously makes sense. However, this year I'll be bitterly disappointed if Lawrence Shankland doesn't win it. 

It would be completely unjust given how important he has been for us this season so far. Not just with his goals or goal involvement, but his whole round game play has been ridiculously brilliant. 

He's a stand out in almost every game. 

He's been involved in 50% of our goals and assists. It just goes to show how high above he stands. 

5 league games to go and a cup semi final, and possible final. He's easily going to smash through the 30 goal barrier for the season. This being an improvement on last season. 

Should he win the cup with us, this coupled with finishing third in the league, it would be the icing on the cake for Shanks to collect the player of the year award. 

I'm sure many others, not just us Hearts fans but fans of other teams would agree. 

Without a doubt. Hasn't really been any standouts for the OF, so surely a shop-in. 

Absolute Scenes

I’m the same

by far he has been the standout performer.

James TavPen-ier should be no where near the award. The same narrative of Shankland only being to score pens should be the same one used to describe him. (Anyone able to confirm how many goals Tav has scored that aren’t pens this season?)
Shankland has outscored strikers who have cost probably 5/6 times what he cost hearts in successive seasons. 

sadly I think we are pi55ing into the wind as Kris Boyd is already at it trying to drum up the POTY and every journo at the daily Rag will be throbbing themselves into oblivion at the thought of a rangers player winning it

Daveandal

I'd be amazed if he didn't get it.

There hasn't been any standout player for Celtic or Rangers. O'Rielly started well but fell off a cliff. The only thing I can see stopping him is people feeling that if Rangers win the league their captain has to get it. But that would be disgraceful IMO.

Should also be between Naisy and McInnes for the Manager of Year. It won’t be though, which ever manager of the erse cheeks wins the league will get it.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Rudy T said:

Should also be between Naisy and McInnes for the Manager of Year. It won’t be though, which ever manager of the erse cheeks wins the league will get it.

McInnes should probably get it tbh.

Lambert Simnel

I'd think Tony Docherty is the most deserving of manager of the year, tbh.

Victorian
2 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Not convinced.  Hearts are 11 and then 19 points clear of 4th and 5th.  That's probably a bit more than expectations based on resources.  We're 12 points behind Rangers.  Based on resources,  surely that's quite a clear over-achievement.  We're 5 wins behind Rangers and 6 ahead of Kilmarnock.  In my opinion we're a bit beyond expectations by both measures.  

*Rangers have a game in hand.

McInnes has done a great job and they have a really good squad.  But Naismith edges it for me.

Absolute Scenes
12 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

How’s that then?

Shankland should obviously be POTY but won't be. I actually think Docherty should be MOTY but both awards will go to the bigots

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Victorian said:

Not convinced.  Hearts are 11 and then 19 points clear of 4th and 5th.  That's probably a bit more than expectations based on resources.  We're 12 points behind Rangers.  Based on resources,  surely that's quite a clear over-achievement.  We're 5 wins behind Rangers and 6 ahead of Kilmarnock.  In my opinion we're a bit beyond expectations by both measures.  

McInnes has done a great job and they have a really good squad.  But Naismith edges it for me.

McInnes Has blown away all expectations at kilie, taking them from 11th to 4th is fantastic tbh, he's also beaten the OF. 

McInnes for me, taking a Hearts side from 4th to 3rd comfortably is good but hardy unexpected,  killie finishing 4th is.

Voldermont or Rodgers will probably get it, although tbh rangers winning the league over celtic is also grudgingly an achievement,  celtic have, or did have a big advantage over them.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Absolute Scenes said:

How’s that then?

Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

McInnes Has blown away all expectations at kilie, taking them from 11th to 4th is fantastic tbh, he's also beaten the OF. 

McInnes for me, taking a Hearts side from 4th to 3rd comfortably is good but hardy unexpected,  killie finishing 4th is.

Voldermont or Rodgers will probably get it, although tbh rangers winning the league over celtic is also grudgingly an achievement,  celtic have, or did have a big advantage over them.

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

There was a season Livi finished 6th and arguably had the lowest budget - no shout for Martindale there, and it’s the same kind of situation with Killie (albeit difference in table standings). There’s an expectation they should be at least top 6, 4th ain’t that big an achievement. They’ve beaten the old firm yes, but we’re the only team to have beaten Celtic twice in a row this season, as well as having the gap in 3rd that we have. 

Naismith doing what he has as a rookie manager should be highlighted above anything that clogger McInnes has done this season.

all in my opinion of course :) 

Polonia Gorgie
17 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I honestly think McInnes is a great shout, especially with the resources he has at Killie, their turnaround has been something else. However if Hearts win the cup then Naismith's would definitely deserve it.

I think Shankland deserves POTY, had he been playing for anyone of the old firm it wouldn't even be a debate.

RustyRightPeg
33 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Without a doubt. Hasn't really been any standouts for the OF, so surely a shop-in. 

Bookies odds have O'Riley and Tav ahead of him.

Sadly, he won't win it even though he deserves to.

29 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

I’m the same

by far he has been the standout performer.

James TavPen-ier should be no where near the award. The same narrative of Shankland only being to score pens should be the same one used to describe him. (Anyone able to confirm how many goals Tav has scored that aren’t pens this season?)
Shankland has outscored strikers who have cost probably 5/6 times what he cost hearts in successive seasons. 

12 of Tavernier's 17 league goals have been penalties. 

Taking away Shankland's penalties and he's still comfortably the top scorer in the league with 18 non penalty goals. The next closest is Dessers at Rangers on 13. 

For what it's worth I think Shankland must be in with a great shout for player of the year. 

RustyRightPeg
9 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

How’s that then?

The job he's done at Killie shouldn't be understated. 

Hackney Hearts

Gordon Strachan publicly backed Shanks for the award this week.

Also Steven Thomson on Saturday's Sportscene - albeit prompted by Neil McCann (and Lee Miller). 

Hackney Hearts
3 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Bookies odds have O'Riley and Tav ahead of him.

Sadly, he won't win it even though he deserves to.

These are dictated by the amount of money placed though? Which is down to the respective hordes blindly backing their player, I'd have thought.

iantjambo

Tavernier will probably get it. Even though he’s the most vastly overrated player in the country.

Shankland is the obvious choice but we all know that he won’t get it.

RustyRightPeg
17 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

These are dictated by the amount of money placed though? Which is down to the respective hordes blindly backing their player, I'd have thought.

I just can't see it, as much as I want him to win. Tav should be judged on defending, but won't be. O'Riley has been largely average since about February.

Who was the last non OF player to win it?

Edited by RustyRightPeg

doctor jambo

POTY - mcgregor or tavernier.

neither reserve it.

whichever OF manager wins the league will win that 

Bazzas right boot
27 minutes ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

I honestly think McInnes is a great shout, especially with the resources he has at Killie, their turnaround has been something else. However if Hearts win the cup then Naismith's would definitely deserve it.

I think Shankland deserves POTY, had he been playing for anyone of the old firm it wouldn't even be a debate.

The cup won't be considered,  remember St Johnstone won the double and Gerrard got it.

:rofl:

Unbelievable, only in Scotland.

Polonia Gorgie
Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

The cup won't be considered,  remember St Johnstone won the double and Gerrard got it.

:rofl:

Unbelievable, only in Scotland.

Actually aye....... Calum Davidson got robbed!! Quite depressing when you start thinking about it. Only in Scotland 

Percival King

Always seems odd that these awards are voted on before the end of the season. Would seem to make more sense after the end of the season. Clement winning the treble creates more of a case for him than just winning a League Cup but votes are cast before the outcome of all the competitions is decided (though hopefully this time next week it's only a double he's going for).

Push the vote and the awards night back.

Bazzas right boot
31 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

There was a season Livi finished 6th and arguably had the lowest budget - no shout for Martindale there, and it’s the same kind of situation with Killie (albeit difference in table standings). There’s an expectation they should be at least top 6, 4th ain’t that big an achievement. They’ve beaten the old firm yes, but we’re the only team to have beaten Celtic twice in a row this season, as well as having the gap in 3rd that we have. 

Naismith doing what he has as a rookie manager should be highlighted above anything that clogger McInnes has done this season.

all in my opinion of course :) 

Fair post, but I'll  say getting a Hearts team 3rd from 4th the season before isn't that remarkable. 

Killie being above Aberdeen,  hibs and going from 11th and in the play offs to 4th and European football is actually quite brilliant. 

Naismith has done a good job, but McInnes has transformed Killie in a season. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

Actually aye....... Calum Davidson got robbed!! Quite depressing when you start thinking about it. Only in Scotland 

Yip, depressing. 

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I just can't see it, as much as I want him to win. Tav should be judged on defending, but won't be. O'Riley has been largely average since about February.

Who was the last non OF player to win it?

One non OF player in over 20 years.

Higdon from Motherwell.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Hackney Hearts
32 minutes ago, Percival King said:

Always seems odd that these awards are voted on before the end of the season. Would seem to make more sense after the end of the season. Clement winning the treble creates more of a case for him than just winning a League Cup but votes are cast before the outcome of all the competitions is decided.

Might work in Shankland's favour - don't have to guess which team's going to win the league. Vote for the safe ("neutral") option)

Pasquale for King

Shankland should win the award but dont bank on it as the majority of the players will vote for whatever half of the uglies they favour, he probably voted for Tavernier himself 😆
Really not that big a deal though in the grand scheme of things though. 

copa-mundial

In all awards in my opinion. 

Player - Shankland 

Young player - David Watson

Manager - McInnes. 

I agree with most of the above. McInnes has done wonders with Kilmarnock this season. From the championship to what will be a 4th placed finish this season (deserved at that too.) With a very small budget. Really good manager. 

59 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Harry Stone got QoS player of the year

Looks a bit short for a goalkeeper, and bit concerned about his eyesight... 

2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

If we win the semi final I think that swings it Naismiths way. 

m One thibgs for sure neither Rodgers or Clement should get it.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Butland.  For the last month or so he has been bumped up by the Press and ex-players.

soonbe110
2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Docherty - promoted team straight in to top 6 is probably a bigger achievement. 

soonbe110
2 hours ago, iantjambo said:

Tavernier will probably get it. Even though he’s the most vastly overrated player in the country.

Shankland is the obvious choice but we all know that he won’t get it.

Tavernier has been found out in recent Celtic game and a gain yesterday.  If we can do similar next Sunday then h shouldn’t  even be a candidate. One of the poorest rb’s in the league defensively. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Docherty - promoted team straight in to top 6 is probably a bigger achievement. 

Could be, can see an argument for both.

I'd go with McInnes over Docherty,  but would understand Docherty.

karipidis
13 minutes ago, RENE said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Butland.  For the last month or so he has been bumped up by the Press and ex-players.

And then had a couple of shockers ever since. 

I P Knightley
6 hours ago, Lambert Simnel said:

I'd think Tony Docherty is the most deserving of manager of the year, tbh.

Do they have a "Groundsman of the Year" award? 

scott herbertson
5 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

Harry Stone got QoS player of the year

Surprised he's that small really. He looks chuffed to get it.

Well done, wee man

Edited by scott herbertson
damn - beaten to the punchline, dagnabit

Fozzyonthefence
7 hours ago, Victorian said:

I don’t think Naismith has any chance.  We’re going to finish 3rd which is where we want / expect to finish.   A cup win would be too late as the vote is usually before that (remember the ridiculous situation where St Johnstone won the cup double but Davidson didn’t get MOTY because the votes were cast before the Scottish Cup final).

Killie and Dundee have both massively overachieved in terms of league positions.  However, again I don’t think McIness or Docherty will have much chance either.  It will go to the manager of whoever wins the league so the whole thing is a bit pointless.  

Fozzyonthefence
6 hours ago, Hackney Hearts said:

It’s down to votes.  There are two for players - one voted for by the players and one by the sportswriters.  Not sure if there is only one (sportswriters) award for managers or if there is also something more official from the league / clubs?

Costanza

Shankland should be a stick on for POTY. It's not just the number of goals; it's the quality of the goals, the variety of goals, the importance of a lot of them and against nearly every team in the league.

Add in his overall game and assists and surely a no brainer.

For manager McInnes has most overachieved so should get manager.

Docherty has undoubtedly done well but Dundee have spent a fair bit of cash (a recent 2m loss?) and I read that Motherwell had apparently the 2nd lowest budget in the league and they were a missed sitter in the last game from likely taking top 6 away from Dundee.

indianajones

There is no way those mutants in the west give it to Shankland. 

Its Tavenier. 100%. 

Costanza
6 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Shankland should be a stick on for POTY. It's not just the number of goals; it's the quality of the goals, the variety of goals, the importance of a lot of them and against nearly every team in the league.

Add in his overall game and assists and surely a no brainer.

For manager McInnes has most overachieved so should get manager.

Docherty has undoubtedly done well but Dundee have spent a fair bit of cash (a recent 2m loss?) and I read that Motherwell had apparently the 2nd lowest budget in the league and they were a missed sitter in the last game from likely taking top 6 away from Dundee.

Actually that's wrong :laugh2:

*not far off pipping them for 6th place

Bunny Munro

It would be hard to argue against Clement getting MOTY if he wins Rangers the treble, but the awards will be given out well before that. I can't see either OF manager winning it unless the league is decided before voting. Can't give it to Clement if Celtic win both the Scottish and the league, and can't give it to Rodgers if he wins nothing.

For what it's worth, my nominees would be...

POTY: Shankland, Armstrong, Butland, McGregor 

MOTY: Naismith, McInnis, Docherty, McGlynn