John Robertson's first game back after Newcastle

connlach

connlach

Robbo was my hero growing up and I remember the excitement of his first game back after coming back from Newcastle but I was still quite young. Am I right in thinking it was a game v Rangers and we won 1 nil. I remember being delighted but gutted Robbo didn't score. Or is my memory making thinks up?

2 minutes ago, connlach said:

Robbo was my hero growing up and I remember the excitement of his first game back after coming back from Newcastle but I was still quite young. Am I right in thinking it was a game v Rangers and we won 1 nil. I remember being delighted but gutted Robbo didn't score. Or is my memory making thinks up?

I think it was and then he scored against Hibs the following game at Tynecastle 

Benny Klack

It was a 2/0 win v Rangers at Tynecastle 

Galloway sent off. Tosh McKinley’s debut - brilliant game - Great highlights available on Sportscene. 

connlach
18 minutes ago, Benny Klack said:

It was a 2/0 win v Rangers at Tynecastle 

Galloway sent off. Tosh McKinley’s debut - brilliant game - Great highlights available on Sportscene. 

Thanks. My memory was failing me! Can you remember who scored?

queensferryjambo
48 minutes ago, lou said:

I think it was and then he scored against Hibs the following game at Tynecastle 

Think there was a big gap between the Rangers game and his winner vs Hibs. The Rangers game was before Christmas and the Hibs game was near the end of the season.

He dfinitely scored a couple against Celtic a few games after that Rangers game in a 4-2 defeat at Parkhead.

queensferryjambo

Rangers game - Robbo's return - 1988

Hibs game - Robbo winner - 1989

Edited by queensferryjambo

Benny Klack
40 minutes ago, connlach said:

Thanks. My memory was failing me! Can you remember who scored?

Galloway and Ferguson 

Paris 84

The thing that sticks in my mind from that game was Whittaker getting a hold of Tosh McKinlay at the final whistle and pointing around the ground at the celebrations and basically saying “see this, this is why you’ve come here”. 

19/05/2012

Some of the tackles in the Rangers game would get you a straight red these days. 

tcjambo

I have a special edition bottle of whisky where Robbo scored the only goal but I can't member the date. Might have been 1985?

Hector Riva

I was late and making my way around to the shed to meet my mate. Robbo came out the tunnel and right across to the corner of the shed . Robbo,robbo,robbo Robertsoooonnn. I was greeting 😭with happyness .I was 26 

Edited by Hector Riva

martoon

One of those magic days in the shed.

1-0 up toward the end, down to 10 men, then suddenly Butcher & Woods (iirc) get in a mess at the school end and blonde Fergie has an open goal.

Not sure I saw the ball cross the line, tbh.

The atmosphere that day was electric.

martoon
8 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

I have a special edition bottle of whisky where Robbo scored the only goal but I can't member the date. Might have been 1985?

Robbo scored the winner in a 1-0 vs. Rangers in October 1984, iirc.

I think footage exists.

Rangers were a dawdle at Tynecastle in those days:

1983/84

3-1

2-2

1984/85

1-0

2-0

1985/86

3-0

3-2 (Cup)

3-1

There was a 0-3 League Cup defeat at the start of the '83/84 but I've only posted the results that followed. 😜

Edited by martoon

iain ferguson
42 minutes ago, martoon said:

One of those magic days in the shed.

1-0 up toward the end, down to 10 men, then suddenly Butcher & Woods (iirc) get in a mess at the school end and blonde Fergie has an open goal.

Not sure I saw the ball cross the line, tbh.

The atmosphere that day was electric.

One of my favourite games. Think we had just qualified for uefa cup quarters, signed McKinley and Robbo came home. 

tcjambo
1 hour ago, martoon said:

Robbo scored the winner in a 1-0 vs. Rangers in October 1984, iirc.

I think footage exists.

Rangers were a dawdle at Tynecastle in those days:

1983/84

3-1

2-2

1984/85

1-0

2-0

1985/86

3-0

3-2 (Cup)

3-1

There was a 0-3 League Cup defeat at the start of the '83/84 but I've only posted the results that followed. 😜

Thanks

martoon
52 minutes ago, iain ferguson said:

One of my favourite games. Think we had just qualified for uefa cup quarters, signed McKinley and Robbo came home. 

Aye.

A week to remember.

AndrewB
4 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

Quite something to watch these highlights and realise Whittaker, Wilkins and Cooper have all died too young.

Loved the old Tynie on days like that.

Was never a huge Archie MacPherson fan at the time but his commentary was far better than most current offerings.

And, most importantly, happy memories to set us up for this weekend.

Jambo-Fox

Thanks for sharing!

Every Hearts victory is a joyous occasion!

However it’s always tinged with sadness when I see ‘visiting’ fans occupying the Gorgie Road end! It should never have been allowed because Gorgie Rules ….

Deodato

Really enjoyed watching these. I was at both games. 

22 minutes ago, Deodato said:

Really enjoyed watching these. I was at both games. 

Same here.

Back when football was enjoyable and spontaneous.

luckyBatistuta
8 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

I know I was at both, but a hell of a lot of that I don’t remember. Feel sorry for the young lads these days not getting to experience The Shed, the passion. Proper men getting stuck in and just getting back up and on with the game. Guys getting kicked all over the park for 90 minutes every week and still ready to go the following Saturday. After watching those, it makes me feel sad, wish I could turn the clock back.

The new West End

What I do remember is being in the hotel in Mostar after the game and the guy from Topsport at White Park phoned home from a payphone in the foyer.

As we were drinking with players and management he came charging into the bar shouting " we have signed Robbo he is coming home"

The place went mental but you could tell by Doddys face he knew sod all about it.