Visiting the US in April

Jim_Duncan

Cairneyhill Jambo

Take your kids to Falkirk for the day. That'll teach them. 😎

Screenshot_20240411_192609_Chrome.jpg

J.T.F.Robertson

Been a couple of times to San Diego although most recent was the late eighties so there will be many changes, since.

Stayed in the Mission area both times and absolutely loved it!

I wasn't such a miserable bassa back then, right enuff. 😎

ArcticJambo
19 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Will have a 13 year old and a 10 year old in tow, so don’t want to leave them grumbling. 

If you are into driving and like the outdoors, and of course the kids pretend they're into it too :D then the four corners area is spectacular.  Vegas is pretty cool for kids too, and LA (venice beach, isn't that far away really for a coupe of nights) - all doable as well.

However, If you want to limit the driving to just a couple of 1000 miles but also want to get the most out of a state or maybe 2/3 then I'd advise Florida (Georgia/S Carolina).  Florida has everything. The weather for a start at that time oif year, probably the best you're going to get in all honesty.

You've got Miami south beach, for people watching. and the beach is not bad too.

The Keys and gators.

Baseball games if you fancy it.

Daytona for tack!

Walt Disney World and Universal Studios, im guessing there's a Six Flags or the like

Cape Canaveral - a must, albeit I was last there 20 yrs ago

The pan handle is quite different but worth the effort - old Forts, naval avaition museums and a national seashore.

We also got to swim in a grotto sink hole in central Florida whihc was full of fish, was very cool, had it to ourselves

:thumbsup:

Swimmer

My vote goes to Portland, Oregon! Beautiful city! 3 hours from Seattle, 1 hour from Colombia river gorge, 1 hour from the beach, 12 hours from Mount St Etna, 4 hours from the high desert. 

so much to see and do and no sales tax!

Jim_Duncan
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Swimmer said:

My vote goes to Portland, Oregon! Beautiful city! 3 hours from Seattle, 1 hour from Colombia river gorge, 1 hour from the beach, 12 hours from Mount St Etna, 4 hours from the high desert. 

so much to see and do and no sales tax!

Last time I was in Portland, I went to see Franz Ferdinand play. In the same venue, there was a poster advertising The Proclaimers and their upcoming gig. It may have been defaced…

Oregon was the first place I ever went in the US. Didn’t realise sales tax was a thing until I accused some poor guy in Seattle of trying to rip me off. 

Edited by Jim_Duncan

Dawnrazor
1 minute ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Last time I was in Portland, I went to see Franz Ferdinand play. In the same venue, there was a poster advertising The Proclaimers and their upcoming gig. It may have been defaced…

3bf66ee5214cbd361855f0c79c1d7d8611-leo-toast-9.h473.w710.gif

ArcticJambo

Was it Seattle last July for four nights. **** all to see and sketchy throughout most of downtown.

Good venue for Soccer and baseball mind.

Very expensive.

Jim_Duncan
1 minute ago, ArcticJambo said:

Was it Seattle last July for four nights. **** all to see and sketchy throughout most of downtown.

Good venue for Soccer and baseball mind.

Very expensive.

Agreed. Wasn’t taken by it at all. Decent mincrobreweries mind

Class of 75

Been to the States on several occasions, had my honeymoon in Vegas, Boston and NYC. All cracking cities but Boston was great for things to do. Not the largest of cities and easy to get around. April is a great time to visit as the weather is just right. Been to Florida as well in April and going back in October as the weather is about the same. Hope you have a great time.

Edited by Class of 75

Swimmer
10 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Oregon was the first place I ever went in the US. Didn’t realise sales tax was a thing until I accused some poor guy in Seattle of trying to rip me off. 

Seattle / Portland have such a vibrant music and micro brewery scene. I remember paying $5 to watch the Stereophonics play at a small pub called Berbati’s Pan! It was fantastic. 

such a great part of the USA! I love it there! Proper seasons and so much great golf, outdoor stuff, skiing and so close to so many things! Should you wish, 6 hour drive to Vancouver as well

Jim_Duncan
Just now, Swimmer said:

Seattle / Portland have such a vibrant music and micro brewery scene. I remember paying $5 to watch the Stereophonics play at a small pub called Berbati’s Pan! It was fantastic. 

such a great part of the USA! I love it there! Proper seasons and so much great golf, outdoor stuff, skiing and so close to so many things! Should you wish, 6 hour drive to Vancouver as well

Same place we saw FF!

I used to live up that way as a student so don’t want to be driving around with the wife and kids pointing out memorable places like “that’s where I had a quick knee trembler with a bird from the bar” or “that’s the street where some lad threatened me with a shotgun”!

Swimmer
8 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Same place we saw FF!

I used to live up that way as a student so don’t want to be driving around with the wife and kids pointing out memorable places like “that’s where I had a quick knee trembler with a bird from the bar” or “that’s the street where some lad threatened me with a shotgun”!

😂😂

luckyBatistuta
23 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

An NYC/Philly/DC triple header would be superb.

I’ve done all 3 but not as a triple.

We’re in the process of sorting out a quadruple header…Boston/NYC/Philly/DC

PortyJambo

I was in Miami 5 years ago for my birthday and, although the city of Miami itself isn't much to write home about, South Beach (where the Art Deco houses of Ocean Drive are) and the other beaches are great, plus a drive down the Keys is well worth the trip.

Edit - the weather in April will be great there too, wouldn't want to go there from June-Sept when the humidity is horrendous and there's decent chances of hurricanes. We went in December and it wasn't hot all the time, but it still did reach the low 90's some days even then!

Edited by PortyJambo

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Nice one. If you need any recommendations (for Philly mostly, been there the most) then give me a shout 👍

I have family across California and also some in Pennsylvania so most of my suggestions have already been put forward.

What I would say is if you’re in LA region, try get to Palm Springs and the next door Joshua Tree national park, phenomenal places. If you’re in the SF area, Sacramento is the capital of California and well worth a visit about an hour away, although one day is enough probably to see everything. 

Likewise in Pennsylvania, Philadelphia is the obvious attraction but if you go further into the state you should get to Gettysburg, incredible. My family live very close to there  in rural Pennsylvania so you’re close to Maryland which is very pretty and on the way to DC. 
Last time I was there we went to Harper’s ferry in West Virginia (one for history buffs) where the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers meet and you can see Maryland and Virginia across the two rivers right in front of you. It’s possibly the most beautiful wee historic town I’ve ever been to. Next time I go I’d love to go further into West Virginia/Kentucky and see Appalachia which is unbelievably beautiful. It’s a part of America that is stigmatised a lot but the scenery and friendly people would make it a great trip if you wanted to see a part of America that’s not on the coasts and most will never even think of, let alone see. 

iantjambo

Can’t recommend as I’ve never been to the US.

I would love to visit Boston though.

il Duce McTarkin
8 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

So when will your house be empty and for how long?

luckyBatistuta
13 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Nice one. If you need any recommendations (for Philly mostly, been there the most) then give me a shout 👍

Will do Liam, cheers👍

luckyBatistuta
8 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

So when will your house be empty and for how long?

IMG_6873.jpeg