Visiting the US in April

Jim_Duncan

Jim_Duncan

Which part of the US would you recommend visiting in April (2025)? Wife wants to go to New York, kids want to go to either Miami or California. 

I'm not fussy. Never been to NYC. I visited LA, San Francisco and Yosemite about 20 years ago and loved them. 

As we'll no doubt be coming out of another shitty winter, a bit of reliable warmth (even high teens or low 20s) would be nice. 

Needs to have direct flights from the UK. 

New York is genuinely one of the greatest cities in the world. Something for everyone to do. However I do love California. Miami I’d rather cut a pinkie off. 

Ministryofdad

Texas. Your won't ever regret it. 

Doubt it will be a direct flight from edinburgh. But Shannon in Ireland is the gateway to the USA. 

Sunshine, bbq and hospitality you have never felt before.

They love Scotland. Bring a bootle of Whisky. 

Jim_Duncan
3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

New York is genuinely one of the greatest cities in the world. Something for everyone to do. However I do love California. Miami I’d rather cut a pinkie off. 

Yeah, the plan would be to fly into either LA or SF then drive to the other one and fly home from there. 

NYC in April could be shitty weather, meaning most things are done indoors. I’d like a bit of hiking nearby if possible. 

I don’t know much about Miami, but would try combining it with the the rest of southern Florida. 

Will have a 13 year old and a 10 year old in tow, so don’t want to leave them grumbling. 

Jim_Duncan
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Ministryofdad said:

Doubt it will be a direct flight from edinburgh. But Shannon in Ireland is the gateway to the USA. 

I suggested that and the wife was unsure. Mainly because she’s a bit thick, I reckon. 

Where would you recommend? Austin? Dallas? Houston?

Happy to fly from London. 

Edited by Jim_Duncan

3 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Yeah, the plan would be to fly into either LA or SF then drive to the other one and fly home from there. 

NYC in April could be shitty weather, meaning most things are done indoors. I’d like a bit of hiking nearby if possible. 

I don’t know much about Miami, but would try combining it with the the rest of southern Florida. 

Will have a 13 year old and a 10 year old in tow, so don’t want to leave them grumbling. 

Fly to LA and drive down to San Diego. It’s a great option, clean nice city with enough stuff to keep kids amused and amazing Mexican food as it’s so close to the border. Good beach’s ready to enjoy as well. 

Edited by Tazio

Jim_Duncan
1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Fly to LA and drive down to San Diego. It’s a great option, clean nice city with enough stuff to keep kids amused and amazing Mexican food as it’s so close to the border. Good beach’s ready to enjoy as well. 

Good shout, never thought about SD before. 

Problem is, I have an old friend just outside SF and should really pay him a visit if in California. Plus, have always wanted to visit Big Sur. 

1 minute ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Problem is, I have an old friend just outside SF and should really pay him a visit if in California. Plus, have always wanted to visit Big Sur. 

Big Sur is a nice drive but not much more. LA to Sf is a nice drive via it if you spend the time and do a day in Monterey, very busy but the kids would love the aquarium. Really interesting with lots of cool animals to see. 

Jim_Duncan
3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Big Sur is a nice drive but not much more. LA to Sf is a nice drive via it if you spend the time and do a day in Monterey, very busy but the kids would love the aquarium. Really interesting with lots of cool animals to see. 

Cheers. Plenty to think about. 

Last time I went from SF to LA via Hawaii, so would really love to see that strip of California between the two. 

Ministryofdad
22 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I suggested that and the wife was unsure. Mainly because she’s a bit thick, I reckon. 

Galevston or rockport. Right on the gulf of Mexico so you get the climate like here with the wind to break the relentless heat. 

If your wanting actual dessert and tumbleweeds and the likes. Get on the i10 to San Antonio and not too far away is Austin. 

However. 

It's a very very busy metropolis if you have a trade and these places are practically joining together like Edinburgh and Glasgow will eventually do. 

(kinda same distance) an hour. 

This part of the world will be different next time you visit as so much is happening, building wize that it's hard to keep up. 

So much land to be built on that it will take over as the fastest growing (counry) US state in the world. 

If texas votes to leave the USA it will be the one of the richest countries in the world. 

It won't, however when trump gets back in texas will be at the forefront of his mind in terms of growth. 

Ulysses
13 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

It's no harm to think a bit about your flight options, depending on where in the UK your starting point is.  It can be easier and (sometimes) a wee bit less expensive to book with Aer Lingus and route yourselves through Dublin, to the extent that you can buy some options like that on the BA website because of their code-sharing arrangements with Aer Lingus.  Also, you do customs and immigration clearance for the US in Dublin before you depart, so you get treated as a domestic arrival on landing in the US - which is useful if you have an onward connecting flight.  

14 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

We travelled with a 16-year old in 2013, and he loved everywhere we got to in California.  We rented an apartment for a few days in the strip between Mission Bay and Mission Beach in San Diego, and it was really good, with beaches either side of the apartment only a few dozen metres away, and lots of places to eat and drink and just chill.  I'd say kids at 13 and 10 would love the place.  If you get bored of the beach life, you can also take a 20-minute spin to see the USS Midway aircraft carrier museum, and several other nearby attractions to keep both adults and kids happy.

11 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I drove from Monterey to Santa Monica in one go once.  Officially it's six hours, but I was b*****ed at the end of it. :eek:   If I was doing it again, I'd put an extra stop in.

cosanostra

I wouldn't really bother with LA or Miami. Miami is fairly shite and LA is kind of sketchy without a vast amount to do. 

You could be in New York for a month and not do or see everything you'd like to. A couple of days in LA is enough.

I like the Pacific North West and BC. I also love Boston, New York, Rhode Island and the rest of New England.

San Francisco is pretty cool but incredibly expensive and also kind of unsafe at night.

San Diego is a great city. I also love Hawaii. Been to all of the major island apart from Kauai but heard numerous times that it's great.

luckyBatistuta

I wouldn’t ever visit LA ever again, soulless place. Out of all the places I’ve been in the States, Sam Diego is my favourite, such a vibrant feel good city. Wouldn’t be going anywhere near San Francisco. Every person I’ve spoken to in the last couple of years who’s visited or lives there, says that the city has been hit in a really real bad way with fentanyl. I’d suggest flying direct to Boston, then down to New York. If you don’t fancy them, I’d suggest New Orleans.

Howdy Doody Jambo

Anybody been to Lad Vegas? San Francisco or Boston

8 minutes ago, Howdy Doody Jambo said:

Anybody been to Lad Vegas? San Francisco or Boston

Been to all three.

Boston is one of my favourite cities in the US - but the weather can be crap.  Great place to walk around, interesting history, enough things to do to keep busy for a few days and terrific restaurants.

San Francisco used to be my favourite city in the US, but I last went there two years ago and didn't enjoy it at all.  A bit sketchy and much dirtier and lots of junkies rolling about.

I hated Las Vegas, but I can see why some people might love it.  I was there for work and stayed in the Bellagio for a week.  Its pretty special.

Austin is worth a visit (but it isn't as good as it thinks it is). Friendly people and good food.

For everything we read that is bad about the USA (and there are problems), there are 100x more great things there.  It is absolutely worth visiting.

JudyJudyJudy
7 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I lived in Houston . It’s a cultural barren but they have plenty “ all you can eat “ buffet places . The biggest arses in the world too due to this . But I actually quite liked the place . Great weather too and Texans are a friendly bunch . New York is everything I imagined it to be , as Quentin Crisp said when he settled there in his 70s 

“ it’s even more like the movies “ . 

hmfc_liam06

Weather will be fine in NY. I’ve been twice in April and it was glorious for the most part.

Yeah, the plan would be to fly into either LA or SF then drive to the other one and fly home from there

We did that last year (Inc Vegas). I didn't want to go but absolutely loved it, we had an amazing time. Really mixed bag weather though. Some torrential rain and wind but other days of really nice weather. Late March into early April we were there .

The drive through death valley days were by far and away my favourite though. Absolutely brilliant.

Edited by Taffin

hughesie27

Unless you're able to go to Disney etc I'd avoid Miami/Florida. Heard Miami is a bit of a dump 

NYC is brilliant though.

Jim_Duncan
9 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Unless you're able to go to Disney etc I'd avoid Miami/Florida. Heard Miami is a bit of a dump 

NYC is brilliant though.

We went to Orlando and Tampa last year and had a blast. It’s the kids who want to go to Miami, bizarrely. I’d quite like to see more of Florida; love rural America. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

I loved Miami. The Florida Keys are worth going to.

However, NY and California are excellent too. You'll have a great time regardless.

Jim_Duncan
45 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Weather will be fine in NY. I’ve been twice in April and it was glorious for the most part.

Had a look at the weather for just now and it seems to swing between sun and rain. 

Id be happy to go but know I’ll end up with my wife (who is pushing hardest for NYC) moaning that she wants a sun holiday if it pisses down all the time. 

Jim_Duncan
Just now, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

I loved Miami. The Florida Keys are worth going to.

However, NY and California are excellent too. You'll have a great time regardless.

Yeah, was roughly sketching flying in and out of Miami with a boomerang drive to the Keys. 

Jim_Duncan
1 hour ago, Sydney said:

Been to all three.

Boston is one of my favourite cities in the US - but the weather can be crap.  Great place to walk around, interesting history, enough things to do to keep busy for a few days and terrific restaurants.

San Francisco used to be my favourite city in the US, but I last went there two years ago and didn't enjoy it at all.  A bit sketchy and much dirtier and lots of junkies rolling about.

I hated Las Vegas, but I can see why some people might love it.  I was there for work and stayed in the Bellagio for a week.  Its pretty special.

Austin is worth a visit (but it isn't as good as it thinks it is). Friendly people and good food.

For everything we read that is bad about the USA (and there are problems), there are 100x more great things there.  It is absolutely worth visiting.

I’m a massive fan of US history (know more about it than Scotland, TBH) and Boston would be great for that. Not sure my kids would appreciate it. 

I’ve no interest in Vegas at all. Not least because I don’t like their hockey team. 

Jim_Duncan
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I wouldn’t ever visit LA ever again, soulless place. Out of all the places I’ve been in the States, Sam Diego is my favourite, such a vibrant feel good city. Wouldn’t be going anywhere near San Francisco. Every person I’ve spoken to in the last couple of years who’s visited or lives there, says that the city has been hit in a really real bad way with fentanyl. I’d suggest flying direct to Boston, then down to New York. If you don’t fancy them, I’d suggest New Orleans.

I really liked LA when I was there before. Just mad enough to be interesting and unlike any other city I’ve been to across the US, Africa, Asia or Europe. 

Sad to hear that about SF. I spent three of the best days of my life there. 

Will save New Orleans for when it’s just me and the wife travelling so we can hit the bars. 

Edited by Jim_Duncan

Jim_Duncan
7 hours ago, cosanostra said:

I wouldn't really bother with LA or Miami. Miami is fairly shite and LA is kind of sketchy without a vast amount to do. 

You could be in New York for a month and not do or see everything you'd like to. A couple of days in LA is enough.

I like the Pacific North West and BC. I also love Boston, New York, Rhode Island and the rest of New England.

San Francisco is pretty cool but incredibly expensive and also kind of unsafe at night.

San Diego is a great city. I also love Hawaii. Been to all of the major island apart from Kauai but heard numerous times that it's great.

I went to uni up that way. It’s like Scotland on steroids. Absolutely beautiful. 

Jim_Duncan
7 hours ago, Ulysses said:

It's no harm to think a bit about your flight options, depending on where in the UK your starting point is.  It can be easier and (sometimes) a wee bit less expensive to book with Aer Lingus and route yourselves through Dublin, to the extent that you can buy some options like that on the BA website because of their code-sharing arrangements with Aer Lingus.  Also, you do customs and immigration clearance for the US in Dublin before you depart, so you get treated as a domestic arrival on landing in the US - which is useful if you have an onward connecting flight.  

We travelled with a 16-year old in 2013, and he loved everywhere we got to in California.  We rented an apartment for a few days in the strip between Mission Bay and Mission Beach in San Diego, and it was really good, with beaches either side of the apartment only a few dozen metres away, and lots of places to eat and drink and just chill.  I'd say kids at 13 and 10 would love the place.  If you get bored of the beach life, you can also take a 20-minute spin to see the USS Midway aircraft carrier museum, and several other nearby attractions to keep both adults and kids happy.

I drove from Monterey to Santa Monica in one go once.  Officially it's six hours, but I was b*****ed at the end of it. :eek:   If I was doing it again, I'd put an extra stop in.

Yep, happy to do the Dublin flight. 

My wife works for the airport and has regular contact with the airlines, so hoping she can sort that side of things. We already get good parking at EDI. 

Another SD recommendation. Tempted. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
2 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Yep, happy to do the Dublin flight. 

My wife works for the airport and has regular contact with the airlines, so hoping she can sort that side of things. We already get good parking at EDI. 

Another SD recommendation. Tempted. 

San Diego is (probably) my favourite US city. End of last last century I went to Tijuana for a day, it was brilliant, too. A complete contrast to SD.

RustyRightPeg

Been to Vegas, Houston, Florida and New York. 

Couldn't recommend any of them enough. 

All very different mind you.

I do fancy Nashville at some point too. 

cosanostra
7 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I went to uni up that way. It’s like Scotland on steroids. Absolutely beautiful. 

Hell yeah. I spent a year in Portland. It was phenomenal. Used to go and watch the Trailblazers or the Timbers every week and DJ'd in a club once a week. Traveled all over Oregon, Washington, BC, California and Idaho. The American countryside is unbelievable. I love the US. Never had a trip over there that I've not loved and I've been on a fair few.

Jim_Duncan

Of course, this could all be moot if and when Civil War 2 kicks off in November. 

Jim_Duncan
11 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

San Diego is (probably) my favourite US city. End of last last century I went to Tijuana for a day, it was brilliant, too. A complete contrast to SD.

Just how old are you? ;) 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
Just now, Jim_Duncan said:

Just how old are you? ;) 

:lol: I was in my 20s. I love sounding like my granny used to, though.

Jim_Duncan
8 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Hell yeah. I spent a year in Portland. It was phenomenal. Used to go and watch the Trailblazers or the Timbers every week and DJ'd in a club once a week. Traveled all over Oregon, Washington, BC, California and Idaho. The American countryside is unbelievable. I love the US. Never had a trip over there that I've not loved and I've been on a fair few.

We used to head into Portland at weekends. I actually took a gap year after my first year in the UK to make sure I was 21 when I went to study in the States. Great city. Like if you asked a European to design a modern American city. 

Curveball - Salt Lake City, Utah. 

Worked out there for a bit, was impressed 

New Town Loafer

Just go to the southern states and embrace actual culture other than big cities.

56 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

We went to Orlando and Tampa last year and had a blast. It’s the kids who want to go to Miami, bizarrely. I’d quite like to see more of Florida; love rural America. 

On the south side of the Tampa Bay, there's a brilliant little island called Anna Maria Island. Had many holidays there. It's pretty much a beach holiday, but hasn't been developed much. In the last ten years, a lot of the old houses have been replaced with big expensive houses, that's it. But it's an amazing place to chill and eat surprisingly decent food and watch sunsets on the beach.

John Findlay
9 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Which part of the US would you recommend visiting in April (2025)? Wife wants to go to New York, kids want to go to either Miami or California. 

I'm not fussy. Never been to NYC. I visited LA, San Francisco and Yosemite about 20 years ago and loved them. 

As we'll no doubt be coming out of another shitty winter, a bit of reliable warmth (even high teens or low 20s) would be nice. 

Needs to have direct flights from the UK. 

Go back to California.

Greenbank2

Not mentioned so far but one of my favorite cities in the world is Washington DC. Easily reachable from NY by train but stay over, there is so much to do. Unlike NYC which is enormous and VERY expensive, DC is a very walkable, affordable city. It is in fact 2 cities, Washington which is modern, and Georgetown which is 18th century (still lit by gas lamps). One of the biggest surprises is how close everything is (unlike NYC) even walking to Arlington Virginia is a short stroll over the bridge. The Capitol, National Mall, White House, Georgetown, Adams Morgan, Riverside etc all within an easy walk of the city centre. And all the incredible museums and the Zoo are free of charge. Really something for all the family. Easy to visit Alexandria on the other side of the Potomac as well.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, Greenbank2 said:

Not mentioned so far but one of my favorite cities in the world is Washington DC. Easily reachable from NY by train but stay over, there is so much to do. Unlike NYC which is enormous and VERY expensive, DC is a very walkable, affordable city. It is in fact 2 cities, Washington which is modern, and Georgetown which is 18th century (still lit by gas lamps). One of the biggest surprises is how close everything is (unlike NYC) even walking to Arlington Virginia is a short stroll over the bridge. The Capitol, National Mall, White House, Georgetown, Adams Morgan, Riverside etc all within an easy walk of the city centre. And all the incredible museums and the Zoo are free of charge. Really something for all the family. Easy to visit Alexandria on the other side of the Potomac as well.

I would recommend this, too. DC has loads to do and see.

Footballfirst

I've been to Florida several times, mainly to the Orlando area with the kids (theme parks).  I've also visited NY then gone on to Southern Florida (Tampa, Sarasota, Naples, Everglades and Miami Beach) and returned from there.  That was a great trip.

I have also done the Golden Triangle (San Francisco, LA and Las Vegas, including all the tourist sites, Monterey, Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Yosemite etc), both in a motorhome, and later by car. Both were fantastic trips.  However my favourite trip was San Francisco (4 nights), then headed south with 3 overnight stays on the way to San Diego where we spent a week. Lots of things to do in the SD area, the zoo, old town, the waterfront, Coronado and a trip over the border to Tijuana). We took advice on the Tijuana trip to avoid the endless queues at the border, by parking the car in one of the retail parks next to the border and crossed over on foot.

FionaHmfc

California is amazing. So much to do for everyone no matter what they like to do. Also a bit off topic with the US but have you thought about Canada? You can fly direct to Calgary from edinburgh in the summer months now too. We went there a few years back and explored the Rockies and done some of the bigger cities like Vancouver and Calgary too. Stopped in Banff too which was unreal. Nicest place we’ve ever been to. You could combine this with west coast USA. Flights between Canada and the US came in super cheap for us. Think it was around £70 each for a flight from Calgary to LA. Loved it. 

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Had a look at the weather for just now and it seems to swing between sun and rain. 

Id be happy to go but know I’ll end up with my wife (who is pushing hardest for NYC) moaning that she wants a sun holiday if it pisses down all the time. 

You’ll get April showers no doubt but I certainly wouldn’t let it stop me. Especially if it’s towards the latter part of April.

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Greenbank2 said:

An NYC/Philly/DC triple header would be superb.

I’ve done all 3 but not as a triple.

il Duce McTarkin
11 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I'm in NYC now and the weather isnae the greatest but isnae the worst. Warm enough in the sunshine but very changeable. 

11 hours ago, Ministryofdad said:

Galevston or rockport. Right on the gulf of Mexico so you get the climate like here with the wind to break the relentless heat. 

If your wanting actual dessert and tumbleweeds and the likes. Get on the i10 to San Antonio and not too far away is Austin. 

However. 

It's a very very busy metropolis if you have a trade and these places are practically joining together like Edinburgh and Glasgow will eventually do. 

(kinda same distance) an hour. 

This part of the world will be different next time you visit as so much is happening, building wize that it's hard to keep up. 

So much land to be built on that it will take over as the fastest growing (counry) US state in the world. 

If texas votes to leave the USA it will be the one of the richest countries in the world. 

It won't, however when trump gets back in texas will be at the forefront of his mind in terms of growth. 

I’m quite fond of Galveston but of all the places one could go to on a family holiday in the US, it wouldn’t be somewhere I’d recommend.

I love Texas but anyone visiting needs to bear in mind how ****ing massive it is and weigh that against how much of your holiday you want to spend in your car (that would apply to Houston on its own - that’s how big that city is). Speaking very generally, it’s the sort of place that great to live but as a tourist you really need to be visiting someone who live there to have the best experience. 

Burghlass

For great weather at that time of year and lots to do, I'd definitely choose LA and San Diego. We went for just over 2 weeks a couple of years ago and it was a brilliant holiday. Could easily have spent longer there too. San Francisco is such a disappointment I think. It's been a while since I was there, but nothing I've heard since would make me want to rush back. I'd be tempted to throw in Vegas for a few nights if you have the time, or even just the Grand Canyon.

trotter
14 hours ago, Ministryofdad said:

All depends what you want to do really. 

I can vouch for Texas lol. NO direct flights from Edinburgh, but Singapore do from Manchester, and you can get a train straight to the airport from Waverley. 

Avoid California like the plague. It's become a truly horrible place. Prices for everything have gone through the roof, crime has increased massively. Do not recommend. 

Agree with NYC, in that area, Boston and Chicago are great places as well. 

Also consider the Pacific North West. Washington state, Oregon, etc. 

Seymour M Hersh

Lived in San Diego for a number of years. It was a lovely place as others have said. Seaworld, The Zoo, The Wild Animal Park (though I think they call it something else now) are all worth a visit and depending on the kids ages they'll love all three.

Coronado is a lovely, almost village like place over the SD Bay Bridge. There you'll find the famous Hotel Del Coronado where the filmed Some Like it Hot (Tony Curtis, Marilyn Monroe and Jack Lemon). You might sea Navy Seals training on the beach further down toward Silver Strand State Beach. Island Navel Air Station is also there (although you cannot just stroll in for a visit).

Downtown SD has Old Town (very Mexican) and the Gas Lamp Quarter for restaurants and bars including the Kansas City Barbecue, famous for the sleazy bar scene in the original TopGun they do great barbecue in there as a bonus. 

As others have said TJ is just across the border but I believe it's a very dangerous place nowadays. I was last there in the early 90's and it was edgy (to say the least then) but now with the drug cartels ruling the roost it's a lot more dangerous I'm told. 

La Jolla and Del Mar just north of SD although La Jolla is really a part of San Diego are lovely to walk around and have excellent restaurants. 

If the Padres are having a home stand while you're there get tickets for a game at Petco Park. It's right downtown and near lots. 

My favourite city in the US is Boston though. I also lived a year up in the mountains in North Carolina. Beautiful scenery but not a huge amount to keep the kids amused/happy.