Well done Steven Naismith

connlach

Wee Mikey
17 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Thats it for me. They way we have played this season is not what I think ultimately how he wants to play, but he has been pragmatic with the team he has. Next season we will see the team evolve more to ultimately what he wants. Look at the signings already for this summer, which has been about opening up more the attacking area behind the striker to create much more. I do think this summer window will be fascinating as I think we will have a few moved out.

I do think his striving for the right mentality is something you dont see in many managers, I think its a combination of both his own personality and his time at clubs like Rangers and some managers where players need to able to keep pushing especially when under high expectations. I also echo his ability to learn is something you dont often see from managers, he does learn from his mistakes. I also think the way he is quite open in how he talks about everything (from analysing games to player's weaknesses and how they want to fix it) is really refreshing, he does not hide behind cliches or BS (like the last two Hibs managers do.)

I am also impressed with his attitude towards youth players, he does have high expectations for them but he also not shutting the door on them. Tait is growing week on week and even today Denholm came on and did well. He has given four young players their competitive or League debut so far this season I am sure a few more will do as well before the end of the season. He was talking this week about how he may grow the squad size by 1 or 2 players next season but does not feel the need for more as he will use youngsters and the difference from previous managers is that I do believe him as he has shown to be honest when talking.

Lots of words, and all of them spot-on. 👍

Naismith showed faith in his younger players today. That's quite the contrast vis-a-vis Neilson.

All Robinson had at his disposal were more giants and I, for one, am more than happy that we value skill over height & weight.

Having said that, we've been up against numerous (physical) squads who are well drilled and today was no exception. St M's players played to their strengths and showed some resolve.

Ultimately, we won ...

.... by a pen and an awful own goal.

Such is life in the crazy world of football ...

😄

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wee Mikey

• Oda be a JT

• jamboinglasgow

• connlach

Tynecastle Valhalla

He’s definitely instilled confidence in the players this year.

the defence looked solid (lembi aside).

Brining through youngsters should be continued 

hearts00
59 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

The away performances this season have been excellent. We are a pretty solid team. Naismith has done really well overall. Does Frankie Mc get any credit?? 😝

Well it has been said Frank McCavoy recommended Kent. That alone has been crucial. 

jamboinglasgow
3 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Lots of words, and all of them spot-on. 👍

Naismith showed faith in his younger players today. That's quite the contrast vis-a-vis Neilson.

All Robinson had at his disposal were more giants and I, for one, am more than happy that we value skill over height & weight.

Having said that, we've been up against numerous (physical) squads who are well drilled and today was no exception. St M's players played to their strengths and showed some resolve.

Ultimately, we won ...

.... by a pen and an awful own goal.

Such is life in the crazy world of football ...

😄

The funny thing is that you could argue the managers of the teams 3rd, 4th and 5th have done amazing this season. Naismith in his first season as manager has managed to make Hearts a clear third, McInnes has made a Kilmarnock side been at their best since Clark getting wins against the Old Firm. Robinson has managed to get a St Mirren side to back to back top six finishes, before last season the last time they had been in the top half of top division was in 84/85 season and if they hold onto 5th (and Aberdeen dont win the cup) then they will be Europe for the first time since the 80s, I know a few St Mirren fans and they are delighted with him.

As others have said, we played a St Mirren team today who know how to play to their strengths in conditions that can be tricky for us and came away with a win. I dont think we would have done that last season.

Philfigo

Naismith has the team playing in a very organised and structured manner. We keep our players and shape bang on most games. If we loose the ball we are back in position and trying to win the ball back early. I know alot of people would love to see us open right up and have a go but and I've no doubt Naismith will get us doing that. He at the minute is just getting us to do the basics extremely well and build on that. I am convinced now he will add add different diamensions to our play once we nail on the absolute basics of a winning team. The guy is a born winner and that makes some difference as the players are now buying into that mentally. Deserves massive credit and I am happy to admit I was wrong about him early doors this season. 

Deodato
2 hours ago, connlach said:

I have to admit I was not a fan of the appointment of Steven however today was a game we would have lost last year. He has definitely got something. There are still things to learn for example I would have got Tait off quicker today to avoid a red but there is a great team spirit and I am excited to see what we can do in Europe next year. 

Agreed @connlach I posted a thread on the word 'composure' a while back - point being when did we last have a manager that focussed on this word so much. Robbie and Craig didn't know how to spell it. The path to straightening what is a solid squad is visible and achievable. Third is fine, for now. This time next year, let's move it up a peg. 

Wee Mikey
23 minutes ago, H2 said:

So you know better than Steven Naismith, forgive me, but that is hilarious!

At least it was a valid point of view rather than being simply disparaging.

You don't have to look too hard for some sublime examples of those who imagine that they know better than Naismith. 😄

So, give @connlach a break as his/hers was otherwise supportive.

ps ... having only seen the match live I'm not convinced that Tait deserved his yellow ... but my eysight ain't the best ... maybe he 'took one for the team' ... I honestly don't know ... no doubt the so-called 'highlights' won't even show it.

Anyhoo ... we won, h1b5 lost ... and that makes my day.

Next up is the classic 'banana skin' v Livi.

Just thank whatever deity is responsible for Aberdeen failing to beat a team with but 3 wins all season.

As for A St J team led by Levein besting h1b5 at Lochend?

What a fine weekend.

😎

connlach
45 minutes ago, H2 said:

So you know better than Steven Naismith, forgive me, but that is hilarious!

Not at all it was just my opinion. That's what a forum is all about 👍

Dia Liom
23 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

Well it has been said Frank McCavoy recommended Kent. That alone has been crucial. 

Totally, if that’s right. The three amigos management team should get a lot of credit. Recruitment team did well in the summer too. 

jamboinglasgow
2 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

I'm absolutely embarrassed that I voted in the Managers poll on here earlier in the season to get rid of Naisy,and just shows that a number of fans (me included) are far too quick to judge.Fair play to our board for their outstanding work.

Love the work Naisy is doing and cannot wait to see who we add to with Dhanda,Spittal and Penrice already in.🇱🇻

I was one of those who felt he should be given time, but I dont judge most people who felt at the time Naisy was not right. With the weirdness of the appointment (with Frankie McAvoy situation,) the games with PAOK, the football not being the same as the previous season under Naisy, poor run at the start and the semi final performance. Fans who were concerned that we were taking on a rookie after the failure of the previous season, I can completely understand why with all these other reasons people felt Naismith was not right to continue.

Its mad to think there was even journalists reporting of player unrest behind the scenes, the thing that normally happens just before a sacking. How he has turned it all around is incredible. 

Edited by jamboinglasgow

7 minutes ago, sac said:

Wee Pep is doing a grand job, needs a black polo neck and coat though.

😆

He’s got the right ‘hairstyle’ though.

hereford_hearts
6 minutes ago, sac said:

Wee Pep is doing a grand job, needs a black polo neck and coat though.

I was disappointed with the blue chinos and hearts hoodie that he had an today. Didn't match his beige shoes. Must try harder🤣🤣

Jamb04life

Naismith has done incredibly well. We now show a lot of his characteristics as a player, in the team. Grit, determination, bravery and confidence. 

His trust in youth is also admirable. Tait struggled with the conditions as his touch wasn’t quite there but he was still working hard and was brave to keep showing for the ball 

I’m sure Naismith will be backed in the summer and I’m already excited about next season 

57 minutes ago, hereford_hearts said:

I was disappointed with the blue chinos and hearts hoodie that he had an today. Didn't match his beige shoes. Must try harder🤣🤣

Bring the style guru back

Wee Mikey
20 minutes ago, sac said:

Bring the style guru back

Maroon cardigans should be de rigueur for Hearts managers.

🎶🎵🎶

Nana nana nana nana nana na

Paulo Sergio, Sergio,

Paulo Sergio

🎶🎵🎶

Screenshot_20240406_233145_Google.jpg

Very good first Season and can only see him improving in the future

I hope he has an eye on some new recruit's as we need more pace and power

salvo69

I went to a sponsors evening and I said to my mate that Naismith just had a winners mentality and an assurance about how he spoke …..he was calm and succinct with what he said and he was very honest about what needed to change which is refreshing …I’d love for Hearts to attract and retain these characters going forward as opposed to some of the dinosaurs in Scottish fitba  

Byyy The Light
2 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I was one of those who felt he should be given time, but I dont judge most people who felt at the time Naisy was not right. With the weirdness of the appointment (with Frankie McAvoy situation,) the games with PAOK, the football not being the same as the previous season under Naisy, poor run at the start and the semi final performance. Fans who were concerned that we were taking on a rookie after the failure of the previous season, I can completely understand why with all these other reasons people felt Naismith was not right to continue.

It’s mad to think there was even journalists reporting of player unrest behind the scenes, the thing that normally happens just before a sacking. How he has turned it all around is incredible. 

It’s perfectly fine to have concerns at the appointment, was always risky and nobody knew how it would pan out. It was the over the top reactions to it that folk were annoyed about. Some clown even make a complete shop front of himself at the agm calling for his head.

It only takes 3 or 4 bad results before it all

comes to the boil again. Personally hope we keep him for a good few seasons to see what he can build. I hope he’s given time when the inevitable rocky patch comes along.

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, Byyy The Light said:

It’s perfectly fine to have concerns at the appointment, was always risky and nobody knew how it would pan out. It was the over the top reactions to it that folk were annoyed about. Some clown even make a complete shop front of himself at the agm calling for his head.

comes to the boil again. Personally hope we keep him for a good few seasons to see what he can build. I hope he’s given time when the inevitable rocky patch comes along.

Completely agree. There were people who went over the top and as you say the AGM was an example of this, the crazy thing is that if the AGM was held the following week it would have been a completely different atmosphere.

Football these days is very short term thinking. As you mention, a few bad results and suddenly people are wanting your head. The hope now is that with everything that Naismith has done this season that he is given a chance (and to be fair, today was only our second league win in six and no one is calling for his head.) Early on after he was made manager this season, I did say that I do think that Naismith could potentially be a great manager for us long term, but the short term will determine if he gets that long or not. Thankfully he has handled that short term period. 

stirlingshirejambo
10 hours ago, hearts00 said:

There is no doubt we are better at both defending and attacking set pieces this season and as that’s his main role at club I would say he deserves a decent amount of credit 

The team 'found a way to win yesterday' when we under a bit of pressure. Everyone playing thier part has got to be down to man management. The best coaches are the one's that can lift a team at the right time. Yesterday was important with a semi final on the horizon and kept the 11 point gap. The buzz is back.  Be interesting now if you striped the points away for the top six games coming up how we will fair in a mini league of the best six teams in Scotland this season. A small barometer of how far we've come this season. We're at a point were we can relax and enjoy the top six game. A rarity, I thank Naismith  for that.

John Findlay

I believe yesterday was our Tenth away win of this season in the league.

Edited by John Findlay

fabienleclerq

He's calm and relaxed, it transpires onto the pitch. We've been old firm like this season in that we don't panic and follow the process. We've been good in possession and yesterday proved we can do it without Shankland. 

He's brought young players into the squad and team when they merit it and played them not just when we are winning,  2nil down to Dundee he brought on Tait. He's looking after the club as a whole.

Shows some we need more patience and you get the results eventually rather than a quick fix.

pettigrewsstylist
12 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Thats it for me. They way we have played this season is not what I think ultimately how he wants to play, but he has been pragmatic with the team he has. Next season we will see the team evolve more to ultimately what he wants. Look at the signings already for this summer, which has been about opening up more the attacking area behind the striker to create much more. I do think this summer window will be fascinating as I think we will have a few moved out.

I do think his striving for the right mentality is something you dont see in many managers, I think its a combination of both his own personality and his time at clubs like Rangers and some managers where players need to able to keep pushing especially when under high expectations. I also echo his ability to learn is something you dont often see from managers, he does learn from his mistakes. I also think the way he is quite open in how he talks about everything (from analysing games to player's weaknesses and how they want to fix it) is really refreshing, he does not hide behind cliches or BS (like the last two Hibs managers do.)

I am also impressed with his attitude towards youth players, he does have high expectations for them but he also not shutting the door on them. Tait is growing week on week and even today Denholm came on and did well. He has given four young players their competitive or League debut so far this season I am sure a few more will do as well before the end of the season. He was talking this week about how he may grow the squad size by 1 or 2 players next season but does not feel the need for more as he will use youngsters and the difference from previous managers is that I do believe him as he has shown to be honest when talking.

Agreed. I think we will see a busy window and he manages expectations very well indeed.

9 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

Good post, really glad we gave Naisy the time to stamp his style on the squad. The last thing we need is to be like the managerial clusterfeck of oor neighbours across the city. 

gar jambo
15 hours ago, connlach said:

I have to admit I was not a fan of the appointment of Steven however today was a game we would have lost last year. He has definitely got something. There are still things to learn for example I would have got Tait off quicker today to avoid a red but there is a great team spirit and I am excited to see what we can do in Europe next year. 

He knows what he wants next season! Fully back him and we will move on to the next level! 

Byyy The Light
12 minutes ago, gar jambo said:

He knows what he wants next season! Fully back him and we will move on to the next level! 

Massive challenge balancing European football and maintaining league form. Can’t see us going next level next season. Will be plenty sticky patches. 

Thomaso
15 hours ago, zeke1874 said:

18 wins from 32 in the league. 2 Cup semi finals. I wasn't sure about his appointment and tbh would have preferred a more experienced manager, but the results speak for themselves. I do think he has something about him. You could argue that we do have the 3rd best squad but you still have to prove it and he has definitely done that. Well done Naismith.

You could say the Aberdeen had the 3rd best squad on paper but their Manager(s) got nothing out of them!

Naisy has been a great acquisition to this Club - huge experience at the top level, a good man manager and communicates well.

wavydavy
14 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Impressive results 👏 

I am pleased to see that he has already been in the market place planning for next season unlike some of he predecessors who would be scrambling at the tail end of the transfer window to get someone in.

He obviously has a gameplan in his mind and has signed some players that he thinks can help him achieve that plan.

I am sure he has had to set the team up to suit the players he has at his disposal and that is not necessarily the way he wants his team to play.

We are a bit one dimensional in that we tend to do all our attacking down the wings and if that isn't working then we are impotent through the middle.

We see that currently with Hoff missing and we don't really have many options in an attacking sense. 

Exciting times ahead hopefully and it will be interesting to see who we sign next.

Thomaso
23 minutes ago, gar jambo said:

What is the next level?

hearts00
5 hours ago, stirlingshirejambo said:

There is no doubt we are better at both defending and attacking set pieces this season and as that’s his main role at club I would say he deserves a decent amount of credit 

100%. A lot of people took a lot of criticism at the start of the season, players, board, coaching staff. 

They have all done very well this season and deserve great credit. 

Bazzas right boot

He's done well.

We're far more resilient now, imo Kent has been a big part of that, not to mention having a fit Rowles and Kingsley. 

I'd say We're effective and functional and next season Naismith will really stamp his name on the team.

Naismith came into a relatively strong position,  maybe the strongest ever apart from Cathro and he's addressed the defence and taken us from 4th to 3rd and at least 2 semi finals.

Next season could prove to be a belter and we'll likely start stronger.

We will be 3rd, 4th, 3rd and likley strong favourites for 3rd again, it's the most consistent Hearts team in recent history.

Saint Jambo
4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I believe yesterday was our Tenth away win of this season in the league.

Along with four away wins in cup competition. Even if three of them were against lower league opposition, it is good to avoid banana skins and beating Killie away in the cup was a good result.

John Findlay
26 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Along with four away wins in cup competition. Even if three of them were against lower league opposition, it is good to avoid banana skins and beating Killie away in the cup was a good result.

I don't disagree.

8 hours ago, Thomaso said:

8 hours ago, Thomaso said:
9 hours ago, gar jambo said:

What is the next level?

Consistency. 3rd again coping with the extra European games could be considered a new level. 2nd in the league would be definitely be seen as a new level. Anything more including cups and a run in Europe is a bonus anything less than 3rd again is seen as step backwards. Simple really...but tough to achieve..I wish him good luck..

gar jambo
1 hour ago, Texaco said:

Consistency. 3rd again coping with the extra European games could be considered a new level. 2nd in the league would be definitely be seen as a new level. Anything more including cups and a run in Europe is a bonus anything less than 3rd again is seen as step backwards. Simple really...but tough to achieve..I wish him good luck..

Next level is improving a little bit more than this season simple more points better players etc! 

FarmerTweedy
On 06/04/2024 at 19:58, rory78 said:

Enjoy him while he's here as he'll soon get a gig down south more than likely in the cesspit of English Championship and it'll be soon as they chop and change often but the money is better

I'm confident he won't go to the English championship just for better money. He'll undoubtedly have ambitions to manage in England in the future and get to as high a level as he can, but I think he'll look at any opportunities that come up in terms of whether it's a stable, well run club, does their board have a track record of giving coaches time, etc, and not really give any thought to the better money on offer to him personally. Better money for him will just come with career progression, not be the goal in itself. 

I think he's likely to stick with us for another couple of seasons before actively looking for a move elsewhere, although if another club comes in for him before then and he feels it's too good an opportunity to pass up, he could go earlier. 

Maple Leaf
On 06/04/2024 at 14:40, Oda be a JT said:

I have said it a few time recently but I’m getting more and more concerned about him leaving than any player, what he has achieved in a very short time will not have gone unnoticed by other, much bigger, clubs imo.

Am I right in thinking that he still does not have all his coaching credentials?

If that's the case, he will likely stay at Hearts until he has those.

Thomaso
12 hours ago, micole said:

Good post, really glad we gave Naisy the time to stamp his style on the squad. The last thing we need is to be like the managerial clusterfeck of oor neighbours across the city. 

They really are in the shit. Contact of mine is a non exec Director at ER and told me Monty is there for the long term as they cannot afford to continue to sack and pay off managers!

Arthur Morgan

If only we had started the season well, we would actually be up there in a title challenge this season! 42 points from our last 20 games, with Celtic on just 43. If we can continue our mid season form on to the start of next season, who's to say we can't be right up there?

Edited by Arthur Morgan

Oda be a JT
9 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Am I right in thinking that he still does not have all his coaching credentials?

If that's the case, he will likely stay at Hearts until he has those.

Sure I read in last week he is looking to starting them this month, just starting them will negate any problems next season with Euro games too.

Oda be a JT
6 hours ago, Arthur Morgan said:

If only we had started the season well, we would actually be up there in a title challenge this season! 42 points from our last 20 games, with Celtic on just 43. If we can continue our mid season form on to the start of next season, who's to say we can't be right up there?

Since the turn in form/away results I have started thinking the same but don’t want to get carried away. The arses from the west have not been as consistent as they normally are so this might have been the season we had a chance. Never know both their managers could go and leave them having to start again next season but I think that’s more wishful thinking on my part!

HopeDiouf

Think all the coaching staff, including McAvoy and Forrest deserve a lot of credit.  Team is very well organised, seem to have minimised the weeks where we don't turn up, and have seen improvements in a lot of the players this season.  Also youth has been given a chance.  Lot's of positives this year.

jamboozy

Well done Steven & management team, good work.👍

TexasAndy

Naismith has ticked a lot of boxes this season.  There is a calmed assuredness to his management style which actually surprises me considering how volatile a player he could be.  You can also see us building something on the pitch, slowly piecing together what could be a very good team.   Beating the Old Firm at Hampden is our next aspiration.  It's a huge ask against Rangers but it's imperative we go in with a  bit of confidence which makes that win in Paisley absolute gold assuming we follow it up against Livvie on Saturday.  

Edited by TexasAndy

tiger Rudi
On 06/04/2024 at 21:16, jamboinglasgow said:

The funny thing is that you could argue the managers of the teams 3rd, 4th and 5th have done amazing this season. Naismith in his first season as manager has managed to make Hearts a clear third, McInnes has made a Kilmarnock side been at their best since Clark getting wins against the Old Firm. Robinson has managed to get a St Mirren side to back to back top six finishes, before last season the last time they had been in the top half of top division was in 84/85 season and if they hold onto 5th (and Aberdeen dont win the cup) then they will be Europe for the first time since the 80s, I know a few St Mirren fans and they are delighted with him.

As others have said, we played a St Mirren team today who know how to play to their strengths in conditions that can be tricky for us and came away with a win. I dont think we would have done that last season.

I can see Kilmarnock and St Mirren keeping their runs going tbh. Both good managers who have built decent squads. They will lose some of their best players but seem to be able to pick up bargains that are well suited to the Spl. I doubt if Aberdeen and Hibs will be as bad next season, so there could be a strong challenge aiming for 3rd. 5 teams including ourselves all with high expectations. 

Our summer recruitment needs to be spot on. The signings so far are excellent. Adding Armstrong would strengthen us and weaken our nearest challenger. If Beni doesn't sign, I think Baccus could be someone that would improve with better players around him too. 

Saint Jambo
1 hour ago, Oda be a JT said:

Since the turn in form/away results I have started thinking the same but don’t want to get carried away. The arses from the west have not been as consistent as they normally are so this might have been the season we had a chance. Never know both their managers could go and leave them having to start again next season but I think that’s more wishful thinking on my part!

I don't think it is true that they have been less consistent this season. The winning points total is still likely to be over 90 points which is pretty standard. Second place is likely to be high 80s or low 90s.  In recent years the second place team has occasionally dropped into the high 70s.

I don't think there is any reasons to believe this was a particularly good year to challenge for the title or even second place.

We might just scrap 70 points. It has been a good season, but the gap to first and second place is still huge.