Motherwell

Wee Mikey

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, McCrae said:

No, it’s a separate title. They would report to a VP. The position you are thinking of would be an executive assistant. I used to work in the US and am familiar with the job titles.

Woosh 😂

Independence
On 06/04/2024 at 10:19, jock _turd said:

It never ceases to amaze me that on here when any team in Scotland attracts interest from an investor... somehow it is bad and its all going to end in tears. For whatever reason any investor in our game is a shady character and out to do no good . Is this a denial response ? Or do people on here actually hope that it all goes wrong for the teams involved. With the exception of Hibs I hope that teams struggling at the moment can benefit from investor input and encourage interest in Scottish football.

Spot on. 

Saint Jambo

Interesting (and quite long) written interview on the BBC website with this Netflix guy about why he wants to invest in Motherwell.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68790801

It actually reads as one of the more sensible interviews with potential foreign investor. Not promising the earth. Not claiming he is going to win them the league. Doesn't want to disempower the Well Society.

If I was a Well fan that wanted long term stability, I think I would be quite impressed. If I was a Well fan that wanted the club to win the golden ticket then I think I'd be disappointed.

Given how level headed he sounds, I'd also say there must be a fair chance it comes to nothing.

Watt-Zeefuik
On 06/04/2024 at 05:40, Disco Dave said:

Is it not the other way around? I think anyone who is a relatively middle manager in a US company is given the VP title. 

I'm late to this thread but while VP gets handed out more than you'd expect, there won't be more than a half dozen, if that, and they'll be very near the top of the food chain and likely have a spot on the board.

Given the size of company that Netflix is, the man I'm sure has more cash than he knows what to do with from his stock options alone.

And I realize they're all total weirdos, but there are the odd Americans who take an interest in Scottish football and find it really compelling, to the point that they want to get involved for nothing other than being really, deeply taken by the level of passion in the sport and the appeal of a non-OF club that's really connected to its fans. Like I said, weirdos all of them. But they're out there.

That was a really good interview, of course the proof will be in the pudding

His first paragraph..

'Scottish football is super fan-led. It's a dynamic league, it has the highest attendance per capita in all of Europe, that passion is there. The narrative stories are so strong, there are so many teams situated close together, so many rivalries, it's accessible globally. It's easy to follow the drama, that's the SPFL.'

My immediate thought was here is a person who understands drama, perspective, and how the SPFL could be genuinely promoted. 

I think we undersell the Scottish game massively. It can't compete financially with top leagues but it has its own unique selling points. 

There is an authenticity to Scottish football that has been replaced by big business and showbusiness in England. 

I enjoy watching the EPL but given a choice between that and our game, it's our game every time. There is still a connection with the fans and with local communities. 

This guy looking at Motherwell, he seems to get that so good luck to him. It wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to use him and his wife as consultants on how to promote our game. 

jock _turd

That snooker supremo came and looked at Scottish football and slammed the presentation of the product and they institutions within Scottish football for not promoting the product better... I am sure he was told to bolt by all and sundry 😂

The problem with Scottish football is not all about the quality of the product but the fact that at the hearts of the running and promotion of the sport there are people within the institutions making quite a nice little earner and they hold the power.

For Scottish football to flourish it needs that deeply protective instututionalisation to be dismantled and someone with forward thinking ideas to take the helm to promote and improve the image and appeal of the game. As long as there are place men in the SFA and SPL Scottish football will remain in the doldrums. If one looks at what Dungcaster brings to the SPL interms of funding and his salary we see clearly that while he and other people within the SFA who were placed there by interested parties are what is holding Scottish football back.

If one looks at the appeal within Scotland itself interms of fan involvement and attendance Scottish football at the highest level has never been better placed in my lifetime and yet most of the teams by and large are stagnating through lack of funding. 

Edited by jock _turd

scott herbertson
3 hours ago, XB52 said:

That was a really good interview, of course the proof will be in the pudding

Yep

Have to say though that reading it I thought "wish he was running the SFA/SPL"

The more people like him who get involved the more chance thre is of breaking the duoply so good luck to him

buzzbomb1958
14 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Interesting (and quite long) written interview on the BBC website with this Netflix guy about why he wants to invest in Motherwell.

It actually reads as one of the more sensible interviews with potential foreign investor. Not promising the earth. Not claiming he is going to win them the league. Doesn't want to disempower the Well Society.

If I was a Well fan that wanted long term stability, I think I would be quite impressed. If I was a Well fan that wanted the club to win the golden ticket then I think I'd be disappointed.

Given how level headed he sounds, I'd also say there must be a fair chance it comes to nothing.

He really wants to make a Wrexham scenario at Well in other word he will turn them into an ongoing documentary and Well will reap the benefits of any monies this brings in is my take on it at the end of the day the publicity cant harm them

SE16 3LN
On 07/04/2024 at 12:54, hmfc_liam06 said:

Assistant to the VP.

I get it

jamboinglasgow
14 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

When I first saw it reported that one of the potential investors was from a streaming background, I thought this will be someone who just comes in, thinks they can replicate Wrexham's doc but not fully understand why it was a success.

But reading that its clear he has a deeper understanding of things then most investors. As you say he is not promising the earth which I think is always a good start, too often you get new owners saying they will win x or y or will be 3rd place going forward. Rarely do they reach those aims (Leicester is the best example of one that actually achieved what they said they would.)

Reading what he says, I think he wants to grow Motherwell but I also get a sense he wants Scottish football to grow as well. Certainly a lot of talk of a technology grounding which they think can help. If (and knowing the way Scottish football operates a massive if) Scottish embraces that it could really benefit the league.

Also I do like what he says about a documentary, it does almost sound like he wants one that covers Scottish football rather than just Motherwell. He also gets not doing the same as Wrexham. I hope he learnt lessons that you dont just copy the most successful documentry, you need a new angle of things. So Wrexham had the angle of a small Welsh town with Hollywood owners which shows what the community is actually like and how the owners are getting to grips. You cant do that again. Same with Drive to survive, it was unique when it came out (following ten teams, playing their stories and rivalries, mixed with danger.) But other sports tried it and it only really appeals to fans of that sport already. So need to do something unique.

Though saying that last paragraph, if there was drive to survive style documentry about Scottish football then biggest lesson they should learn from it is that spread the coverage around the teams, not focus solely on the Old Firm. You can personalities from other teams who almost become stars, it can make a battle for 7th place over 8th be exciting and see how much it means.

But certainly if I was a Motherwell fan (and didn't expect they suddenly get huge amounts of money) I would be positive reading that.

Edited by jamboinglasgow

RustyRightPeg
33 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

He really wants to make a Wrexham scenario at Well in other word he will turn them into an ongoing documentary and Well will reap the benefits of any monies this brings in is my take on it at the end of the day the publicity cant harm them

I thought quite the opposite. He comes across well (pardon the pun) and looks to be more interested in growing the game as a whole.

Watt-Zeefuik
17 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I thought quite the opposite. He comes across well (pardon the pun) and looks to be more interested in growing the game as a whole.

Yeah, folk are pointing to Wrexham as the catalyst but I think it's more emblematic of something I've thought for a while, that lower tier EFL and non-OF Scottish football are great stories and great competitions with passionate fans that a lot of Americans could get into if they gave it a chance. It's not going to reach the level of American plastic fandom that the EPL has but I'd hate to see that anyway.

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Would be tremendous if he can use his Netflix contacts and help broker a deal with them to cover Scottish football. That’s the sort of investment the league needs in order to grow.

RustyRightPeg
3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Would be tremendous if he can use his Netflix contacts and help broker a deal with them to cover Scottish football. That’s the sort of investment the league needs in order to grow.

It's something I was going to mention. Netflix are going into the world of live sport with the upcoming boxing PPVs and also the WWE deal they've secured from next year I think it is.

Mikey1874

What he and his wife are talking about doing is improving Scottish football. 

hmfc_liam06
50 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

It's something I was going to mention. Netflix are going into the world of live sport with the upcoming boxing PPVs and also the WWE deal they've secured from next year I think it is.

It would be a total game changer for us.

Gillsland jack

Best of luck to this chap and his wife, best of luck to Motherwell, never had a problem with them and will be good to see them with a level of financial security.

jamboinglasgow
2 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

It's not just Netflix, MLS agreed a deal with Apple TV that is $250m a season.

Not saying we could get that level but surely a streaming network could do a good deal with the SPFL