Motherwell

Wee Mikey

Wee Mikey

There have been a few reports on the telly and in the press the last few days about Motherwell getting into bed with an American investor.

https://news.stv.tv/sport/scottish-football-club-to-roll-out-red-carpet-for-hollywood-investor-former-netflix-chief

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ex-netflix-chief-erik-barmack-32517352

I have a hunch that this is (yet) another example of someone attracted for reasons more to do with that person's own ego.

Apparently, it all hinges on how the 'Well Society vote on the issue and if I were them then I'd be questioning it big time.

It seems like this fella was responding to their recent 'begging for investment' video. To me, that smacks of someone thinking of taking advantage of a club in desperate circumstances.

A lot has been made about this fella, but his main attribute as reported seems to be that he was once the* Vice President of Netflix.

Well whoopidy-doo!

Having the title 'Vice President' may sound impressive, but methinks it is a title handed out like confetti, certainly in the good ol' US of A. What's more, is having held an administrative appointment in the entertainment industry good credentials for running a football club? It may very well be (transferrable skills etc.) but I have my doubts.

* Currently, Netflix has no fewer than 8, EIGHT, Vice Presidents. 🤔

https://about.netflix.com/en/leadership

A niggly nippy club that I'd like to see continue to play in the top flight.

Always had a grudging respect for their support.

BigAlim

With all due respect, why would an American multimillionaire buy Motherwell? It seems a bit shady to me

The big concern I think is that the investor wants to make money/ a return on their investment.

Dundee Utd and Hibs are both in a bit of precarious situation - as I understand, Hibs debt is paid but now they're kinda at the behest of Foley and his lot now. 

Wee Mikey
10 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

With all due respect, why would an American multimillionaire buy Motherwell? It seems a bit shady to me

I always take reported wealth with a pinch of salt.

At least they've not gone down the line of having attracted a billionaire with 'wealth off the radar'; nor that he's a life-long Motherwell supporter with Scottish roots looking to give something back to his ancestral Lanarkshire homeland.

He's reported as coming over soon to have a look ...

... and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he has 2nd thoughts once he surveys that which awaits.

45 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

There have been a few reports on the telly and in the press the last few days about Motherwell getting into bed with an American investor.

https://news.stv.tv/sport/scottish-football-club-to-roll-out-red-carpet-for-hollywood-investor-former-netflix-chief

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ex-netflix-chief-erik-barmack-32517352

I have a hunch that this is (yet) another example of someone attracted for reasons more to do with that person's own ego.

Apparently, it all hinges on how the 'Well Society vote on the issue and if I were them then I'd be questioning it big time.

It seems like this fella was responding to their recent 'begging for investment' video. To me, that smacks of someone thinking of taking advantage of a club in desperate circumstances.

A lot has been made about this fella, but his main attribute as reported seems to be that he was once the* Vice President of Netflix.

Well whoopidy-doo!

Having the title 'Vice President' may sound impressive, but methinks it is a title handed out like confetti, certainly in the good ol' US of A. What's more, is having held an administrative appointment in the entertainment industry good credentials for running a football club? It may very well be (transferrable skills etc.) but I have my doubts.

* Currently, Netflix has no fewer than 8, EIGHT, Vice Presidents. 🤔

https://about.netflix.com/en/leadership

The VP title is an important title in the US, they are only typically given out to a member of the senior leadership team. This guy will have been paid a shed load and is likely to be a multi millionaire. 

1971fozzy

Has Foley even been to Easter Road yet ?  I don’t think he has. Or if he has it’s been the once.

therin lies the problem. These folk don’t really give a crap and if I was a Motherwell supporter I’d be voting to steer well clear of it. That’s why they are fan owned is it not ?  

i8hibsh

Hate Motherwell but anyone who lives in that bigoted shit pitt part of the country and does not take the dishounarable option gets a tip of my cap.

BigAlim
1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

Hate Motherwell but anyone who lives in that bigoted shit pitt part of the country and does not take the dishounarable option gets a tip of my cap.

Never been to Hamilton type post imo

jock _turd

It never ceases to amaze me that on here when any team in Scotland attracts interest from an investor... somehow it is bad and its all going to end in tears. For whatever reason any investor in our game is a shady character and out to do no good . Is this a denial response ? Or do people on here actually hope that it all goes wrong for the teams involved. With the exception of Hibs I hope that teams struggling at the moment can benefit from investor input and encourage interest in Scottish football.

BigAlim
1 minute ago, jock _turd said:

It never ceases to amaze me that on here when any team in Scotland attracts interest from an investor... somehow it is bad and its all going to end in tears. For whatever reason any investor in our game is a shady character and out to do no good . Is this a denial response ? Or do people on here actually hope that it all goes wrong for the teams involved. With the exception of Hibs I hope that teams struggling at the moment can benefit from investor input and encourage interest in Scottish football.

Assuming this is aimed at me I actually do see the appeal in buying a club like Hibs from an outsider. If you didn’t know any better you would think that they had some potential in terms of the fact that they have a lot of fans (who don’t attend games) and they’re based in Edinburgh.

I can even sort of see why a random businessman would buy one of the Dundee clubs because there is some potential there as well.

Motherwell though? I just don’t understand the motivation there. I do respect their fans for not following one of the bigot brothers but I just don’t see where the profit comes from

16 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Aye 

Disco Dave
41 minutes ago, McCrae said:

The VP title is an important title in the US, they are only typically given out to a member of the senior leadership team. This guy will have been paid a shed load and is likely to be a multi millionaire. 

Is it not the other way around? I think anyone who is a relatively middle manager in a US company is given the VP title. 

jock _turd
3 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Assuming this is aimed at me I actually do see the appeal in buying a club like Hibs from an outsider. If you didn’t know any better you would think that they had some potential in terms of the fact that they have a lot of fans (who don’t attend games) and they’re based in Edinburgh.

I can even sort of see why a random businessman would buy one of the Dundee clubs because there is some potential there as well.

Motherwell though? I just don’t understand the motivation there. I do respect their fans for not following one of the bigot brothers but I just don’t see where the profit comes from

Actually my post is not aimed at you but your post does come into the category 😂

No my post is based on exactly what happens when any team, other than Hearts, attracts any sort of investor interest. There is almost always an immediate " the guy is out to take them for a ride" response from a large number of posters.

My question is , why do people looking to invest in Scottish football have to be "shady characters" who are out to at worst asset strip the team involved and do them no good?  The majority of Scottish football is on its knees surely investors are to be welcomed not scorned or condemnd ?

Football is a funny sporton one hand fans say they care for the sport and complain about the disparity in the game but on the other they would far rather anything bad would happen to other teams than anything good😂

Spellczech
27 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

Which ones do you think have been good for their club?

10 minutes ago, Disco Dave said:

Is it not the other way around? I think anyone who is a relatively middle manager in a US company is given the VP title. 

Yeah I'm not sure either - I know at State Street (bank) they have VPs at what looks like middle management/ level above team supervisor which doesn't seem hugely senior TBH

I wonder if its more to do with the rest of the job title though? Like it seems like he's VP of a huge portfolio/remit than just a wee team ? 

Whole thing seems a weird move TBH. He will not make money doing this. 

Edit: Although, I could see someone of his background being an asset to the league, especially when it comes to analysing the TV deal and perhaps pushing back on the SFA for their poor commerical performance. 

Edited by OTT

John Findlay
58 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

I always take reported wealth with a pinch of salt.

At least they've not gone down the line of having attracted a billionaire with 'wealth off the radar'; nor that he's a life-long Motherwell supporter with Scottish roots looking to give something back to his ancestral Lanarkshire homeland.

He's reported as coming over soon to have a look ...

... and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he has 2nd thoughts once he surveys that which awaits.

Tell him not to walk through the underpass near the train station.

BigAlim
6 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

Actually my post is not aimed at you but your post does come into the category 😂

No my post is based on exactly what happens when any team, other than Hearts, attracts any sort of investor interest. There is almost always an immediate " the guy is out to take them for a ride" response from a large number of posters.

My question is , why do people looking to invest in Scottish football have to be "shady characters" who are out to at worst asset strip the team involved and do them no good?  The majority of Scottish football is on its knees surely investors are to be welcomed not scorned or condemnd ?

Football is a funny sporton one hand fans say they care for the sport and complain about the disparity in the game but on the other they would far rather anything bad would happen to other teams than anything good😂

You make some valid points but I just don’t think there’s a good track record of outsiders buying into the Scottish game and I include us in that. When all is said and done our league is not marketable enough for any outsider to really consider buying in imo

jock _turd
1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

Well I have no idea do you?

That is not the point of my post though. People are quite willing to chip in and tell us all how teams that have had investment are no better off or are going down the pan but one has to ask would those team still be in existance if they had not ?

The only vibe you will every get on this forum is that hopefully something bad is going to happen to any team other than Hearts. Of course the same applies on other team forums. But at the same time while the majority of footabll fans in Scotland are complaining about the inequity in the Scottish game they are wishing nothing but the worst for any team attracting a possible investment😂

buzzbomb1958
21 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

The only outsider to have actually improved a club massively was Fergus Mcann AKA The bunnet who saved septic from oblivion and set them on the path they went on since then no one has 

jock _turd
5 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

You make some valid points but I just don’t think there’s a good track record of outsiders buying into the Scottish game and I include us in that. When all is said and done our league is not marketable enough for any outsider to really consider buying in imo

Well it just takes time and investors to get the ball rolling. Look at the EPL. The English first div always was a powerful league but look at it now it is the world power house of football. Then look at the teams in that EPL and EC... some of them more likely to have been associated with the second and third divs of the old setup. Some say that it is a house of cards and they could well be right but is it really worse than what we have in Scotland ?

The problem with Scottish football and investment is they don't go together because historically the SFA has been ineffectual in promoting the game. To the SFA there are only two teams and the game revolves around them. They go out of their way to protect them and Scottish football is institutioally corrupted by them .

Then if we look at the SPL this association has sadly followed the SFA lead. Instead of the teams outwith the OF getting together to better their positions they are more likely to ally with one of the OF, as we saw when there was a real chance to change things . What Scottish football needs is new blood to at least try to challenge the OF teams off the field and in some way wrestle back the power to make changes by vote without the OF power of veto, that could be the start of a fairer and more entertaining Scottish football.

Swimmer

Time will only tell if this interest in Motherwell is a good thing or not! 

All I know is that our last foreign investor gave us the ride of our life that almost ended in the demise of the club but we are all moaning about the lack of investment in Scottish Football and when it comes we then laugh and ridicule it! Why? Maybe out of fear that these teams do get significant investment and leave us behind! Or maybe not. 

time will tell!

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, jock _turd said:

Good posting . 

Bazzas right boot
51 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

Well I have no idea do you?

That is not the point of my post though. People are quite willing to chip in and tell us all how teams that have had investment are no better off or are going down the pan but one has to ask would those team still be in existance if they had not ?

The only vibe you will every get on this forum is that hopefully something bad is going to happen to any team other than Hearts. Of course the same applies on other team forums. But at the same time while the majority of footabll fans in Scotland are complaining about the inequity in the Scottish game they are wishing nothing but the worst for any team attracting a possible investment😂

Fair post and it would take a lot less money to make a Scottish club competitive than it is just to keep an English club afloat.

These buyers also tend to have big egos, breaking the OF would be global news and make the owners and managers legends.

I'm surprised more bodies don't invest in the Scottish game.

Imo, to reach the "next level " it's the only way to do it.

We would be in a good position and we wouldn't be doing it in desperation  like we did last time.

Organic growth won't see us near the league title, it has to be done through a spontaneous infusion of hard currency.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

1 hour ago, Disco Dave said:

I always thought it was like director here. But not the proper directors on the board and listed on companies house. A title to massage the ego of long servers and without the corresponding salary you'd expect 

Mikey1874
56 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

The only outsider to have actually improved a club massively was Fergus Mcann AKA The bunnet who saved septic from oblivion and set them on the path they went on since then no one has 

Where massive potential wasn't being realised. 

Different to the more struggling Scottish mid level club.

20 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Wrexham would be a big part of the answer to Why?

Part of Wrexhams "charm" I would say is Ryan Reynolds & Rob McElhenney as personalities and the journey Wrexham are on to see how far they can climb. 

I'm not sure the same applies to Motherwell. Where can they go from where they are? Up a league placing or two? 

Hopefully their fans hold onto 51% and work with this guy.

I for one am cynical of these US investors in fact in Scotland for any foreign investors (for obvious reasons) 

The worry should be when the romance of being involved in a Scottish club wears off what happens to the club at that point.

We have seen failures and also taking a quick look at Hibs and United the owners certainly seem to be happy to plunge the club into debt. 

A lot of problems ahead after the initial boost I reckon. 

Doc Rob
1 hour ago, jock _turd said:

The cynical response is that when wealthy businessmen invest in something, they expect a return on that investment. There is no money in Scottish football, and what little there is, is mostly tied up in two teams. The chances of success, and a return on that investment, are very slim indeed if you invest in any other team.

OK, sometimes the return isn’t a financial one. The Saudi and Emirati investors in England may be looking for a way to present a more appealing public profile - though that is in England, where there are billions sloshing around the game. Vlad wanted to gain a foothold for his banking empire in the UK (and transiently did). But still, anyone proposing to invest in a non-OF team in Scotland invites the question ‘why?’ and a degree of suspicion around their motives.

Mikey1874
25 minutes ago, Rods said:

Hopefully their fans hold onto 51% and work with this guy.

I for one am cynical of these US investors in fact in Scotland for any foreign investors (for obvious reasons) 

The worry should be when the romance of being involved in a Scottish club wears off what happens to the club at that point.

We have seen failures and also taking a quick look at Hibs and United the owners certainly seem to be happy to plunge the club into debt. 

A lot of problems ahead after the initial boost I reckon. 

I would look at England though I do believe the history of owners includes plenty British owners who did it to boost their own profile and business interests way back to at least the 1930s. 

Birmingham who wanted a celebrity manager in Wayne Rooney so sacked a good one.

Everton which would need the top forensic accountants to work out what is going on though I'm told the new stadium (August 2025 first game) is very nice. You can see some of their problems though. 

Likes of Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd were always easier and a lot of good there but the Man Utd debt loading does seem to be a US import. Early days for Chelsea but competing for 10th place might not have been the plan. And all wanted the breakaway Super League. 

Then there's the like of Sunderland pretty much run incompetently by every measure. 

Edited by Mikey1874

2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Will always have a lot of respect for those from the West that reject the gruesome twosome. 

Except St Mirren, they're singularly the angriest fans I've ever heard :lol: Every time we play them away, its just absolutely vitriol from the stands. 

2 hours ago, Disco Dave said:

No, you are thinking of Assistant VP.

Lone Striker
7 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

The cynical response is that when wealthy businessmen invest in something, they expect a return on that investment.

Yes, but not necessarily a financial return/profit.   If the guy is mega-rich with money to burn, he might just fancy it as a new hobby, and isn't too bothered if  his  investment gets wasted.   

As we know only too well, getting a top quality manager/coach is key to everything.  And then letting the manager/coach get on with it.      If the Motherwell guy does that, and provides funds for player signings way above the normal Motherwell level, then it is likely to make a big difference.

Alternatively, he might turn out to be another egomaniac like Vlad who just can't stop tinkering  ......

Can anyone explain  how much (if anything) the  Well Society members donate to the club per year now ?

Kalamazoo Jambo
2 hours ago, OTT said:

Yeah I'm not sure either - I know at State Street (bank) they have VPs at what looks like middle management/ level above team supervisor which doesn't seem hugely senior TBH

In the US, the banking sector tends to hand out VP titles to middle management, not so much the case with other sectors. In other sectors it’s more of a senior leadership role but not necessarily just the very top tier. I worked for a major multinational consumer goods company that had around 100 VPs, and that wasn’t unusual.

10 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Yes, but not necessarily a financial return/profit.   If the guy is mega-rich with money to burn, he might just fancy it as a new hobby, and isn't too bothered if  his  investment gets wasted.   

As we know only too well, getting a top quality manager/coach is key to everything.  And then letting the manager/coach get on with it.      If the Motherwell guy does that, and provides funds for player signings way above the normal Motherwell level, then it is likely to make a big difference.

Alternatively, he might turn out to be another egomaniac like Vlad who just can't stop tinkering  ......

Can anyone explain  how much (if anything) the  Well Society members donate to the club per year now ?

You make a good point on the hobby. If it is a plaything it could end up boring for the owner or even worse needing to be involved in every aspect despite his inexperience and that is a sure fire way for things to go south. 

The stories about Cormack at Aberdeen and also Ron Gordon’s son being involved in picking players for example inspite of not being football people is a dangerous path. 

2 hours ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

I was about to jump in with "what about Ann Budge", but we're talking about outsiders/non-scots :lol: 

Yeah, what Fergus McCann did for Celtic was incredible. Think similarly to Budge he wasn't appreciated by all corners of the support whilst he built them up either, but the results since speak for themselves. 

Owners with that kind of vision should be lauded. 

It would be good to see more owners funding infrastructure improvements for clubs. Dundee, Dundee utd & Aberdeen especially could really do with new stadiums/ renovations. Although, Dundees could be amazing if it actually happens!

Disco Dave
1 hour ago, McCrae said:

Just did a quick google for VP roles in the UK….. This role in my work for example would simply be “Product Owner”

https://jpmc.fa.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_1001/requisitions/preview/210497433/?keyword=Product+Manager+–+Vice+President&location=United+Kingdom&locationId=300000000289276&locationLevel=country&mode=location

jock _turd
2 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

The cynical response is that when wealthy businessmen invest in something, they expect a return on that investment. There is no money in Scottish football, and what little there is, is mostly tied up in two teams. The chances of success, and a return on that investment, are very slim indeed if you invest in any other team.

OK, sometimes the return isn’t a financial one. The Saudi and Emirati investors in England may be looking for a way to present a more appealing public profile - though that is in England, where there are billions sloshing around the game. Vlad wanted to gain a foothold for his banking empire in the UK (and transiently did). But still, anyone proposing to invest in a non-OF team in Scotland invites the question ‘why?’ and a degree of suspicion around their motives.

I would question why anybody would question the motives of an investor in Motherwell football team other than as a project. There is no money to be made selling the team up is there?

Superscot

Erik Barmack is now the CEO of Wild Sheet Content, who produce high budget TV shows for large streaming services like Amazon or Netflix. If you ask me, it won't be him looking to invest, but his business or some form of JV and they'll do so with the intent of generating TV content that they can sell.

Difference with Wrexham is i) no celebrity fronting it up, and ii) purely for content creation, whereas I genuinely reckon than Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney have some care or consideration for the community - albeit also obviously always intended to create TV content too.

Sub-par Welcome to Wrexham - Missing in Motherwell - might  result in failed content, and disinterested investors. Not the kind of investors I'd like to see for any Scottish clubs to be honest.

3 hours ago, Disco Dave said:

The U.K. is different to the US.

Mikey1874
2 hours ago, Superscot said:

Erik Barmack is now the CEO of Wild Sheet Content, who produce high budget TV shows for large streaming services like Amazon or Netflix. If you ask me, it won't be him looking to invest, but his business or some form of JV and they'll do so with the intent of generating TV content that they can sell.

Difference with Wrexham is i) no celebrity fronting it up, and ii) purely for content creation, whereas I genuinely reckon than Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney have some care or consideration for the community - albeit also obviously always intended to create TV content too.

Sub-par Welcome to Wrexham - Missing in Motherwell - might  result in failed content, and disinterested investors. Not the kind of investors I'd like to see for any Scottish clubs to be honest.

Agree about the Wrexham guys re supporting the community. It's what Hearts are too.

Make the community your priority first and you can develop the commercial side with more foundations.

Tricky choice but Motherwell need to give fan ownership a chance. 

Daveandal

Can't believe no one has asked what a junior vice president is yet....

Spellczech
9 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Fair post and it would take a lot less money to make a Scottish club competitive than it is just to keep an English club afloat.

These buyers also tend to have big egos, breaking the OF would be global news and make the owners and managers legends.

I'm surprised more bodies don't invest in the Scottish game.

Imo, to reach the "next level " it's the only way to do it.

We would be in a good position and we wouldn't be doing it in desperation  like we did last time.

Organic growth won't see us near the league title, it has to be done through a spontaneous infusion of hard currency.

You could call this the Firework Approach though. Burn bright for a season then the OF and their media pals pick your team apart and you are left with just the memories...

Whilst I agree with what you say, maximising your opportunities via organic growth ie having the correct stadium size, maximising alternative revenue streams, have players on contracts whereby they don't leave for nothing if they have value, having a reputation for treating players fairly and correctly when letting them go, or letting them fulfil their ambitions elsewhere... all these things allow for you to survive, rebuild and thrive after the Fireworks season/s

I've always believed that a blend of the energy and ambition of youth and the experience of older players tends to serve us best. In recent years we seem to have gone for the mid-20s, rather than the over-30s or under 23...

Edited by Spellczech

Bazzas right boot
14 hours ago, Spellczech said:

You could call this the Firework Approach though. Burn bright for a season then the OF and their media pals pick your team apart and you are left with just the memories...

Whilst I agree with what you say, maximising your opportunities via organic growth ie having the correct stadium size, maximising alternative revenue streams, have players on contracts whereby they don't leave for nothing if they have value, having a reputation for treating players fairly and correctly when letting them go, or letting them fulfil their ambitions elsewhere... all these things allow for you to survive, rebuild and thrive after the Fireworks season/s

I've always believed that a blend of the energy and ambition of youth and the experience of older players tends to serve us best. In recent years we seem to have gone for the mid-20s, rather than the over-30s or under 23...

Your last paragraph is my hope,  but it's just not going to happen.

When playes like Souttar,  Gino, Shankland,  Beni knock back the OF and championship clubs to stay with us then we might have a chance, but every season is a rebuild and a battle to stay 3rd - at the moment anyway.

gordon simpson
On 06/04/2024 at 10:19, jock _turd said:

most times the outside investor goes tits up ,the only time it seems to have worked was Fergus McCann .

These guys do not give a flying fcuk about the clubs or football ,only money and profit 

alicante jambo

Motherwell could pip scumdee and the world champions for the top 6 spot. Come on the well

hmfc_liam06
On 06/04/2024 at 12:51, McCrae said:

Assistant to the VP.

34 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Assistant to the VP.

No, it’s a separate title. They would report to a VP. The position you are thinking of would be an executive assistant. I used to work in the US and am familiar with the job titles.