Forecast for Paisley on Saturday from the met office. Blowing a gale 

IMG_0122.png

been here before
8 minutes ago, ColinSmith1255 said:

IMG_0122.png

Thanks Carol.

Bob Loblaw

Don't understand this argument.  I'm not getting into the summer football debate as a whole, but the season is nearly 9 months long and we stay in Scotland. Obviously you'd still get less than perfect weather, but you'd still get more months that we're pleasant than we currently do. March being a bit shite doesn't change that.

RustyRightPeg

I can see it being off. It's been constant rain for near enough a week and a bit bar one or two days. 

been here before

:rofl:

Everytime it rains or snows theres someone 'seeing' the game being off.

When was the last postponement at St Mirren due to the rain?

Sooperstar

I don't want summer football. I'm quite happy spending my summer in the sun and having the football to provide a distraction during the miserable winter months. 

martoon
10 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I don't want summer football. I'm quite happy spending my summer in the sun and having the football to provide a distraction during the miserable winter months. 

Inclined to agree.

Mind you, we pretty much have all year round football anyway.

Bigger World Cups and Euros fill up every 2nd summer, qualifiers in June in the uneven years and early starts for clubs in Europe or League Cup group stages.

Hearts played a competitive game, a Europa tie, on my birthday, July 6, a few years back. Something I thought I'd never see.

Back in the 70's and early 80's there were no competitive games for three months. An absolute age to a fitba daft laddie.

Edited by martoon

soonbe110
1 hour ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Don't understand this argument.  I'm not getting into the summer football debate as a whole, but the season is nearly 9 months long and we stay in Scotland. Obviously you'd still get less than perfect weather, but you'd still get more months that we're pleasant than we currently do. March being a bit shite doesn't change that.

Yes, no such thing as summer football. Maybe get two months of hot summer weather if the season started in March.  Given it’s a game in April that’s stirred this up we would still be going to Paisley on Saturday unless the season started in May.  Of course, Scotland would withdraw from Euros and WC finals to allow that to happen. The argument doesn’t even exist, it’s a figment of some folks imagination. 

The Treasurer

So looks like it will be windy with a few light showers. 

A bit like a summer's day in Scotland 

fabienleclerq

Not too fussed about professional football being in the summer but it'd probably make sense. Might give us a better chance of making European group stages more often.

Kids football should 100% be played in the summer, more Oriam type facilities are needed and it's pretty shameful a football daft country doesn't have more.

davemclaren
2 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

My thoughts as well. 

Jack Torrance

About time we made artificial pitches, compulsory imo...

1971fozzy
2 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

same here.

Maiden Gorgie
6 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

About time we made artificial pitches, compulsory imo...

Agree, we should all be following Livi's example and get our asses to Bargain Carpets.

Our 8G effort is embarrassing

colinmaroon
3 hours ago, ColinSmith1255 said:

IMG_0122.png

We do know that the 80% just means % chance of rain?

Stiff breeze with occasional 50mph gusts?

Weather - Normal

Edited by colinmaroon

ColinSmith1255
1 minute ago, colinmaroon said:

We do know that the 80% just means % chance of rain?

My post said blowing a gale. I didn’t mention rain. Try taking a dead ball kick with winds approaching 60 mph.

I will be there but conditions are not conducive to decent football.

been here before
35 minutes ago, ColinSmith1255 said:

My post said blowing a gale. I didn’t mention rain. Try taking a dead ball kick with winds approaching 60 mph.

Gales start at 32mph. Your 24mph is a fresh breeze.

Better batten down the hatches eh?

tcjambo

No, plenty to do in the summer. Fitba is a winter sport unless you are a couch potato.

FionaHmfc

Part of why I love Christmas and new year is being off work and having all the football on to go to and watch on the tv every single day. Same with when it’s dark miserable nights like tonight - I love just coming home from work and sitting in front of the tv watching the premier league or foreign games. I don’t think I’d actually like summer football. For me it would make the winter months completely miserable with no games 😞 

Footballfirst

I had a look at the SEPA website https://www2.sepa.org.uk/rainfall to see how much rain we have had of late at the weather station closest to where I stay.

We have had above average rainfall each month since July last year, barring August and February that were just below the long term average. In October, December and March the totals were almost double the average.

Looking at April, the average is 37.3mm for the month. As at 5pm today, we have had 40.4mm already this month and it's still only 3rd April.

Scotland is always going to be at the mercy of the weather regardless of when the season starts.  It takes a huge investment to create a surface that can cope with all weather conditions. 

Edited by Footballfirst

ColinSmith1255
28 minutes ago, been here before said:

Gales start at 32mph. Your 24mph is a fresh breeze.

Better batten down the hatches eh?

Get back to me after the match. I will be there, I presume you are going, and let me know if you think the weather had a negative impact on the game.

been here before
2 minutes ago, ColinSmith1255 said:

Get back to me after the match. I will be there, I presume you are going, and let me know if you think the weather had a negative impact on the game.

The weather as you think it will be (blowing a gale) or the weather as forecast (a stiff breeze)?

Ill be there but Im not planning on packing an anemometer.

ColinSmith1255
7 minutes ago, been here before said:

The weather as you think it will be (blowing a gale) or the weather as forecast (a stiff breeze)?

Ill be there but Im not planning on packing an anemometer.

Me neither. Hopefully the wind doesn’t spoil the game.

Fort Vallance

I remember this debate years ago and it was about the heat. Spanish,  Italian, French players were said to be technically better than British players because when they were growing up playing and training it was too hot to run around or chase the ball so they passed it better and played a shorter game. I actually think there was a bit of truth in that. I don't think it really applies much now.

FarmerTweedy
5 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

The season is actually usually nearly 10 months long, starting in early August and running till late May.  Shift the start to early March (still quite wintry weather many years) and you're looking at a late December finish to the season.  The big question for me is what happens when (because it will happen at some point) we get a really bad December weather-wise, and can't get the final games of the season played?

colinmaroon
4 hours ago, ColinSmith1255 said:

25mph with gusts up to 50mph.  Sounds like a regular Summer afternoon in Fife.

ColinSmith1255
57 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

25mph with gusts up to 50mph.  Sounds like a regular Summer afternoon in Fife.

Really??

TexasAndy

Summer Football is not for me simply because WTF would I do through the long winter months?  The football season gets me through this.  I have more than enough to be keep me occupied in summer.   Also Wind and Rain is not confined to the winter months.  

spacerjoe
16 hours ago, ColinSmith1255 said:

IMG_0122.png

What would be the season start and end dates for summer football?

4marsbars
22 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Exactly. Football is precisely what my winter days need.

kingantti1874

Summer football v winter football isn’t really the debate. We play football 10 months of the year, the question is would you prefer the 2 months down time to be in January / February or June /July. 

whilst I accept people are bored and want to get out in January / February.  Lots of people like me, can’t be arsed with the travel in these months.

I accept people go on holiday in the summer and do other things, that arguement doesn’t really stack up.  People go on holiday the whole year round these days

In general terms pitches will be better, the football has the opportunity to be better. clubs will save money on floodlights and under soil heating, maybe we could secure a better TV deal / sponsorship deals as the only show in town and I genuinely believe across the game gates would be up.  People more likely to make a day of it.  

For Scottish football, the pros clearly outweigh the cons.  

Edited by kingantti1874

Pans Jambo
8 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Summer football v winter football isn’t really the debate. We play football 10 months of the year, the question is would you prefer the 2 months down time to be in January / February or June /July. 

whilst I accept people are bored and want to get out in January / February.  Lots of people like me, can’t be arsed with the travel in these months.

I accept people go on holiday in the summer and do other things, that arguement doesn’t really stack up.  People go on holiday the whole year round these days

In general terms pitches will be better, the football has the opportunity to be better. clubs will save money on floodlights and under soil heating, maybe we could secure a better TV deal / sponsorship deals as the only show in town and I genuinely believe across the game gates would be up.  People more likely to make a day of it.  

For Scottish football, the pros clearly outweigh the cons.  

This. Its just the 2 months difference not the whole season!