Football Coaching

Bender

Anyone else on Kickback involved in coaching football, be it children, juniors or adults? I got back into it nearly a year ago after a gap of about ten years and I genuinely don't know why I ever gave it up. I'm curious to know about other peoples experiences in the game, good or bad.

Surely there'll be some good stories out there.

44 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Morgan coached Albion Rovers for a few years 

Did I? 🤷🏿‍♂️

Did I really?

Forget about me, you slavering slaver.

I found you incredibly easy to forget.

PaddysBar
1 hour ago, Bender said:

Anyone else on Kickback involved in coaching football, be it children, juniors or adults? I got back into it nearly a year ago after a gap of about ten years and I genuinely don't know why I ever gave it up. I'm curious to know about other peoples experiences in the game, good or bad.

I coached from about 2017-21. Enjoyed it when the kids were young (8-12) but less so as they got older. 

The main reason I gave up was my son swapped football for rugby for a year but the saddest thing for me was discovering nothing had really changed since I was a kid playing in the late 70s early 80s. 

Most of the coaches are dicks and the refs are shite. 

It was great seeing the boys develop a team spirit though. My son’s now 14 and still playing and loving it so I’m happy to go along and support. 

Lochend Jambo
14 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

I coached from about 2017-21. Enjoyed it when the kids were young (8-12) but less so as they got older. 

The main reason I gave up was my son swapped football for rugby for a year but the saddest thing for me was discovering nothing had really changed since I was a kid playing in the late 70s early 80s. 

Most of the coaches are dicks and the refs are shite. 

It was great seeing the boys develop a team spirit though. My son’s now 14 and still playing and loving it so I’m happy to go along and support. 

Now that you’re not coaching you could do the course and show the refs how it’s done.

Really easy to stand on the side and criticise.

henrysmithsgloves

Mate coaches kids, loves doing it, it's the parents he hates. Kids enjoying a game he passionate about, whether they are good or bad, it's Mr and Mrs miggins who thinks their child is the next messi when clearly they're not is the problem 🤣

The_razors_edge
1 hour ago, Bender said:

I’ve been coaching football on and off for the last 20 years - when I say off, only taking breaks to start a family. Coached grassroots, community, schools and pro youth. 

Loads of brilliant moments, too many to mention and made loads of friends through it. Still in touch with guys I coached 20 years ago. 

Worst thing about it is the parents and managing their expectations but by and large I’ve been very lucky and only had a handful of bangers to deal with over the years. 

would recommend it to anyone 👍🏻

Armageddon

Parents coaching their own kids, picking their kids and their kids pals and then other parents sucking up their arse for a manipulated pick.  Tragic.  Amazing that parents support and get involved, but far too many do it to ensure their kid plays every week.

Hearts weekend sessions on the other hand, not run by parents, absolutely impartial, how it should be 👌🏼

The_razors_edge
3 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Parents coaching their own kids, picking their kids and their kids pals and then other parents sucking up their arse for a manipulated pick.  Tragic.  Amazing that parents support and get involved, but far too many do it to ensure their kid plays every week.

Hearts weekend sessions on the other hand, not run by parents, absolutely impartial, how it should be 👌🏼

I’ve coached 2 out of my 3 kids. Anyone who knows me would tell you my kids had to work harder than anyone else to earn their ‘pick’. I’d also add without parent involvement many grassroots teams wouldn’t exist. I’m VC of my local grassroots club and trying to get volunteers to run our teams who aren’t parents is pretty much impossible. 

That said I have witnessed teams ran by guys where the team was only there for the benefit of their child - team captain, took all the penalties and free kicks etc. Indeed, I took on a team where that was the case but that shit stopped immediately. 

PaddysBar
1 hour ago, Lochend Jambo said:

Now that you’re not coaching you could do the course and show the refs how it’s done.

Really easy to stand on the side and criticise.

Oh feck off. 

Lochend Jambo
7 hours ago, PaddysBar said:

Oh feck off. 

That’s a grown up response.

Probably how you react when you don’t get the decision you want.

Lord Montpelier

Happily retired coach here... did about 10 years all in, mainly coaching 5 to 12 year olds, grassroots. Still occasionally lend a hand if needs must which I enjoy though good to leave it to others now.

Did enjoy it whilst I was doing it. Can take up a lot more time than you think and fair play to anyone who does it. In my experience with kids this age, got to bring high energy the kids bounce off it, have a bit of a plan, don't take it too seriously 99% of them won't be pro footballers but hopefully good people that the coach can help with / influence. 

For those without a teaching background, can be a challenge to get concepts across. As I found out in a training game when I asked one of my players to "sit" and cover in defence as their team went on a counter attack. And the kid did exactly that, and sat down (!).  Patience is a pre requisite . 

periodictabledancer

I managed my sons team for two years as there was no over 16s team at his club , so I started one up myself. We had some tremendous players , quite a few who'd been through the academy set up in England and likewise two lads from NL/Germany who'd play at that level.  A seriously talented bunch , an absolute pleasure to watch. Often played against adults (regularly smashed the local university sides - all three of them) Problem was by the time they reached 18 it was all boooze and birds and it all kinda fizzled out. Also not helped because the standard of Saturday/Sunday football was a total embarrassment :  literally adults trying to maim each other , so the kids saw no future in football. 

9 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Quite the opposite to my experience. I’ve coached my son’s team for 5 years. Along with most of the other coaches kids, he is often disadvantaged to ensure we are being as “fair” across the group. 

I enjoy the games and generally the training. Not so much the hours of admin but I can put up with that, along with the dickhead coaches you encounter along the way.

However, I am currently very close to jacking it all in as I’ve been pushed well past the limit of the amount of bullshit I’m willing to tolerate from parents. The sense entitlement, absence of personal responsibility and lack of basic respect from a small minority is absolutely disgusting. I truly pity their kids. 

Lord Montpelier
9 hours ago, The_razors_edge said:

I’ve coached 2 out of my 3 kids. Anyone who knows me would tell you my kids had to work harder than anyone else to earn their ‘pick’. I’d also add without parent involvement many grassroots teams wouldn’t exist. I’m VC of my local grassroots club and trying to get volunteers to run our teams who aren’t parents is pretty much impossible. 

That said I have witnessed teams ran by guys where the team was only there for the benefit of their child - team captain, took all the penalties and free kicks etc. Indeed, I took on a team where that was the case but that shit stopped immediately. 

Still not seen a 2015 team in the fixtures from your club Razor come on pull the finger out lol 

The_razors_edge
39 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Still not seen a 2015 team in the fixtures from your club Razor come on pull the finger out lol 

Fancy coming out of retirement to start one up? 🤔😅

Nookie Bear

One piece of advice: don't get a training top with your initials on it because you'll look like a tw@t.

Also, let the kids play and tell parents to shut up or (even better) don't even watch.

Lord Montpelier
18 minutes ago, The_razors_edge said:

Fancy coming out of retirement to start one up? 🤔😅

Do I ****

Did help out with one of juniors teams at the weekend as they were short of a coach.

Spent the entire match rolling my eyes with some of the things the other coaches were coming out with, thought one of them might have needed the de fib from behind the bar at one point lol

I P Knightley
52 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Quite the opposite to my experience. I’ve coached my son’s team for 5 years. Along with most of the other coaches kids, he is often disadvantaged to ensure we are being as “fair” across the group. 

I enjoy the games and generally the training. Not so much the hours of admin but I can put up with that, along with the dickhead coaches you encounter along the way.

However, I am currently very close to jacking it all in as I’ve been pushed well past the limit of the amount of bullshit I’m willing to tolerate from parents. The sense entitlement, absence of personal responsibility and lack of basic respect from a small minority is absolutely disgusting. I truly pity their kids. 

I've never coached but have nothing but admiration for the parents who do and am also happy to let them get their kids in the team for a match. After all, they're the ones giving up all their time; it has to be primarily for their kid's benefit and it's just a huge bonus that a whole bunch of other kids get to come along and have something structured to do. 

One of the parent/coaches said to me that he realised that his lad was nowhere near the best in the squad (true - but he wasn't that bad) and I encouraged him to keep doing it as long as his lad was enjoying it. When the kids reach mid-teenage years, the parent/coaches found it easier to step aside and bring in unrelated/paid coaches; just due to the moodiness of teenage boys. 

As others have said, too many parents take it far too seriously and fail to see it for what it is - just a bunch of kids having organised fun on the weekend. If the kids are that good, take them to academies or somewhere that they'll pay through the nose for full-time coaches; the kids will get their hopes sky high that they'll soon be picked for Arsenal and then, after six months, they'll hate it and realise that they're miles from being the best player on the park. 

I've seen a number of lads who took that route; one of them's just signed for Brentford Under-18 (brought in by a Mr S Pressley, formerly of this parish!), a couple who came back with their tails between their legs to our friendly Sunday morning club and a couple who, sadly, just gave up on football. 

Jim_Duncan

Hats off to all those who do this. My own work commitments mean I could never commit to being there consistently, so I appreciate the time these guys put in, even if some of them are terrible coaches who sound like they've been wheeched out of the stands at Tynie or Easter Road and just continue to shout stuff rather than coach.

One of my mates (who played at various age levels for the NT and continued to be involved in coaching until his mid 30s) is unequivocal about this: keep parents well away from the games, and make the coaches do higher level qualifications before they can take teams.

The_razors_edge
19 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Do I ****

Did help out with one of juniors teams at the weekend as they were short of a coach.

Spent the entire match rolling my eyes with some of the things the other coaches were coming out with, thought one of them might have needed the de fib from behind the bar at one point lol

😂 

Sounds like a normal morning at Pitreavie 🙈

Lord Montpelier
1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Hats off to all those who do this. My own work commitments mean I could never commit to being there consistently, so I appreciate the time these guys put in, even if some of them are terrible coaches who sound like they've been wheeched out of the stands at Tynie or Easter Road and just continue to shout stuff rather than coach.

One of my mates (who played at various age levels for the NT and continued to be involved in coaching until his mid 30s) is unequivocal about this: keep parents well away from the games, and make the coaches do higher level qualifications before they can take teams.

Do agree with the qualifications point. As much about the ideas it can give you than a badge. 

Think that some of the success the national team have got more recently could be traced back to revised coaching curriculums introduced 10-15 years ago for grassroots guys 

24 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Do agree with the qualifications point. As much about the ideas it can give you than a badge. 

Think that some of the success the national team have got more recently could be traced back to revised coaching curriculums introduced 10-15 years ago for grassroots guys 

Until you get to the higher level of the qualifications the course are pretty poor, near impossible to fail and basically a money making exercise. Unfortunately it comes down to the person not the course. I’ve seen shockingly coached teams all by qualified coaches. Unstructured nonsense sessions aren’t unusual that can’t even get basic fitness right. The problem is of course without these volunteers so many kids and teens wouldn’t be playing football. I don’t have the answer but qualifications aren’t it. They need far more support than a piece of paper. The bigger youth clubs have a lot to answer for when it comes to coach support and development. Alas as long as the monthly direct debits keep rolling it not many ****s are given. 

Der Kaiser

In my 9th year with my sons team from fun 4s to 11s now.......although I'm always Number 2. I have no intention of ever being a head coach and dealing with organising games, numbers for training etc.

I've enjoyed it and I've watched my laddie become a better footballer as a kid than I was. First time your kid scores a worldie in a competitive game is just a fantastic moment.

At present my son plays in a team below his level due to a long running story that I wont bother you with. Unfortunately he's in a team with a couple of kids who are clearly there so their parents can have a break from them. Their attitude is awful and its this that is starting to grind away at my laddie. He's been accepting of lower skill levels around him but as we get near the end of the season he's found it harder to be as...gracious with his words shall we say.....in the car journeys after games.

He comes off at the end...red faced, out of  breath, muddy kit, at least one sore knock....and watches teammates who are the complete opposite. Only interested in trying to score. No effort or desire.

My laddie plays football, trains at school, plays after school with his mates, watches fitba, ST at Hearts with me and plays FIFA. Some of his other teammates are only football at training and a game....theres no real interest in it outside so they lack the football savvy to understand a through ball, an offside trap, moving into space etc which before didnt bother him but I can see as the season has gone on it definitely eats away at him now.

I'm not sure what he'll want to do next season as at present we lose a lot more than we win and he's fed up with that. Don't think he's confident enough to move teams and leave some of his mates. I've just told him he needs to be happy and make a decision end of season which does that.

John Findlay

I'm that old I started coaching a boy's team along with my future father in law away back in 1980. Travaux FC in South East Hampshire.

Took us Three years to win a league and cup double in 1983. 

Great memories.

Lord Montpelier
3 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Until you get to the higher level of the qualifications the course are pretty poor, near impossible to fail and basically a money making exercise. Unfortunately it comes down to the person not the course. I’ve seen shockingly coached teams all by qualified coaches. Unstructured nonsense sessions aren’t unusual that can’t even get basic fitness right. The problem is of course without these volunteers so many kids and teens wouldn’t be playing football. I don’t have the answer but qualifications aren’t it. They need far more support than a piece of paper. The bigger youth clubs have a lot to answer for when it comes to coach support and development. Alas as long as the monthly direct debits keep rolling it not many ****s are given. 

Can't disagree with most of that

Like I say as much about the ideas it starts to give you. Like you seen some poorly coached teams by supposedly well qualified coaches (not you Razor if your reading lol). 

If i can give you an example. As a kid in the 80s, I was never coached to scan. Something as a concept that was alien to me until my mid 30s , bizarre as that might sound. 

The coaching courses opened my eyes to the importance of this. Like you say down to the person to do the research to bring it alive . I even scan more pro actively when I play now lol

Coaches do need support. Many need to be receptive to taking it which I've found can be a problem for some who put the blockers up. For those that open up and seek out feedback and input from others can really stand out even at grassroots level. 

Lord Montpelier
1 hour ago, The_razors_edge said:

😂

Sounds like a normal morning at Pitreavie 🙈

I was down there a few weeks ago and got the "you don't fancy being chairman?" question. 

Which made me shiver uncontrollably and run out the pavilion at a million miles an hour. Not for all the tea in China. 

25 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Can't disagree with most of that

Like I say as much about the ideas it starts to give you. Like you seen some poorly coached teams by supposedly well qualified coaches (not you Razor if your reading lol). 

If i can give you an example. As a kid in the 80s, I was never coached to scan. Something as a concept that was alien to me until my mid 30s , bizarre as that might sound. 

The coaching courses opened my eyes to the importance of this. Like you say down to the person to do the research to bring it alive . I even scan more pro actively when I play now lol

Coaches do need support. Many need to be receptive to taking it which I've found can be a problem for some who put the blockers up. For those that open up and seek out feedback and input from others can really stand out even at grassroots level. 

Aye I probably done a little disservice to the courses which if you’re willing to engage there can be little things to be picked up. Again though that’s on the person willing to engage. Agree about being receptive too as you can learn so much more from other good coaches .  

rudi must stay
14 hours ago, Morgan said:

Did I? 🤷🏿‍♂️

Did I really?

Forget about me, you slavering slaver.

I found you incredibly easy to forget.

You sum up this place these days. A wee joke and you're on the offence 

RustyRightPeg

Tried it here, and didn't enjoy it. 

I have my beliefs in how I want my teams to play and sadly I don't think Scotland is the place I can do it. 

Might sound snobby but coming up against coaches who just want their teams to kick the s***e out your players and do things the wrong way IMO isn't for me. 

Won a few cups, got on well with the majority of parents but ultimately just got a bit fed up of it. If the day ever comes where I move abroad or to the States I'd love to give it another whirl.

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Two separate discussion points here: 

Keeping parents away from games can be helpful for some of the players and I could tell many stories of arsehole parents who do nothing but undermine the coach, the team and, ironically, their own kid. However, I've come across many more parents who offer encouragement and proper support and, really, are there for the social of it with other parents on the touchline. I suppose it comes down to the team, age group, league, etc. I've seen signs at some matches (which I think were produced by the FA) with a code of conduct for 'supporters'. I've been at matches where, before kick off, the coaches have had a word with the parents asking them to look at that FA guidance and to stay supportive of both teams. I'd have hated it not watching my lads playing their matches although, from time to time, they probably wished I hadn't turned up. Nothing awful, just that I enjoy being an embarrassing dad and, though I say so myself, I'm pretty bloody good at it! Couple of weeks ago, Knightley Minor, playing on the wing, was through 1 on 1 with the goalie but from an obvious offside position - still took the shot but pushed it past the far post. "Shanks would still have put that in!" shouts proud Dad. :D

Coaches with qualifications has been a mixed success in my experience and the mixture of success is entirely down to each coach's personality. Knightley Jr has been in a team coached by a guy who, I understand, has a "UEFA A-Licence". I don't know the system and that sounds like he should be at Juventus or something - but I'm sure I've seen it on his profile. Anyway, the guy wants it all to be about himself and, consequently, has a squad that tolerates him but doesn't respect him, playing better when he's not there. Wins are entirely down to his tactics; losses are due to unfortunate things happening that are nothing to do with him or his coaching. Yet, at a previous club, his coach had a lower level badge and was excellent with the whole squad. Never raised his voice during a match; lots of positive encouragement and created an excellent squad spirit, without necessarily having strong players in every position. Before that, both kids had coaches who were unbadged parents of team-mates and neither ever had a bad experience. 

1 hour ago, Der Kaiser said:

In my 9th year with my sons team from fun 4s to 11s now.......although I'm always Number 2. I have no intention of ever being a head coach and dealing with organising games, numbers for training etc.

I've enjoyed it and I've watched my laddie become a better footballer as a kid than I was. First time your kid scores a worldie in a competitive game is just a fantastic moment.

At present my son plays in a team below his level due to a long running story that I wont bother you with. Unfortunately he's in a team with a couple of kids who are clearly there so their parents can have a break from them. Their attitude is awful and its this that is starting to grind away at my laddie. He's been accepting of lower skill levels around him but as we get near the end of the season he's found it harder to be as...gracious with his words shall we say.....in the car journeys after games.

He comes off at the end...red faced, out of  breath, muddy kit, at least one sore knock....and watches teammates who are the complete opposite. Only interested in trying to score. No effort or desire.

My laddie plays football, trains at school, plays after school with his mates, watches fitba, ST at Hearts with me and plays FIFA. Some of his other teammates are only football at training and a game....theres no real interest in it outside so they lack the football savvy to understand a through ball, an offside trap, moving into space etc which before didnt bother him but I can see as the season has gone on it definitely eats away at him now.

I'm not sure what he'll want to do next season as at present we lose a lot more than we win and he's fed up with that. Don't think he's confident enough to move teams and leave some of his mates. I've just told him he needs to be happy and make a decision end of season which does that.

This annoys me when I see it. Lazy, entitled parents who've spotted a way to get cheap childcare and doing nothing to support you. It's not your job - but I've seen a case with one of my lads' teams where the parent/coach ended up having a word with the parents to say that he's not prepared to put up with their child's behaviour and disruption and could they either go to the coaching sessions and matches to exercise some discipline or their kid would no longer be welcome. 

The kids' tolerance of others' incompetence is greater if the other kids play ball in terms of squad cohesion. I'm lucky that my kids' teams, although mixed abilities, got on great together and (almost) never got down on each other if there were mistakes or slip-ups that led to losses. I know the game's supposed to be competitive but they had a really nice balance where it was also supposed to be fun. 

2 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

You sum up this place these days. A wee joke and you're on the offence 

Oh!  It was a joke?  🤷🏿‍♂️

I hadn't realised that.  If only you’d said, I would have posted :rofl:instead.

Keep churning them gems out.  👍

TallPaul
16 hours ago, Armageddon said:

First part is exactly the experience we had with my oldest at our local team. Entire thing revolved around a half dozen kids and their dads whilst the were only there to make up the numbers.

Dawnrazor
50 minutes ago, TallPaul said:

First part is exactly the experience we had with my oldest at our local team. Entire thing revolved around a half dozen kids and their dads whilst the were only there to make up the numbers.

This seems to happen a lot at grassroot sports, I've seen it at a rugby club my son was at for a few months, I can kind of see why the club would be loyal to lads/lassies that have been at the club since mini's and youths, but there should be some kind of rotation, but that doesn't seem to happen, such a shame as kids just leave, not just lost to the club but often to sport of all kinds.

rudi must stay
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

🤷🏿‍♂️

:rofl:

👍

Edited for you 

TallPaul
44 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

This seems to happen a lot at grassroot sports, I've seen it at a rugby club my son was at for a few months, I can kind of see why the club would be loyal to lads/lassies that have been at the club since mini's and youths, but there should be some kind of rotation, but that doesn't seem to happen, such a shame as kids just leave, not just lost to the club but often to sport of all kinds.

Yeah sadly our team had a two tier system based on the social crowd your dad was in. Not even based on merit or ability. My boy also plays rugby and thankfully our local rugby club is run in a far more inclusive and fair manner.

Dawnrazor
10 minutes ago, TallPaul said:

Yeah sadly our team had a two tier system based on the social crowd your dad was in. Not even based on merit or ability. My boy also plays rugby and thankfully our local rugby club is run in a far more inclusive and fair manner.

Lots of rugby clubs had to close certain age groups after COVID, my son's age group, u14 at the time and U17 now, suffered across the country, he was really pissed off at the last club, I explained to him that he'll never be able to do anything about favouritism and when he starts at college he'll start with a clean slate and you'll get where you get to on merrit and not who your Dad is or your mates are, he's thrived at college, he's been picked in the starting 15 for the U17 squad and is subbing for the u18 year squad for college that are going to the world youth rugby tournament in Portugal starting this weekend.

TallPaul
26 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Lots of rugby clubs had to close certain age groups after COVID, my son's age group, u14 at the time and U17 now, suffered across the country, he was really pissed off at the last club, I explained to him that he'll never be able to do anything about favouritism and when he starts at college he'll start with a clean slate and you'll get where you get to on merrit and not who your Dad is or your mates are, he's thrived at college, he's been picked in the starting 15 for the U17 squad and is subbing for the u18 year squad for college that are going to the world youth rugby tournament in Portugal starting this weekend.

Good to hear he's thriving at it now. Rugby is a brilliant team sport when you find the right place 

Played and managed a tiny bit at amateur level, once Ribble jnr is old enough to play football and assuming he enjoys it, I fully intend on being as involved as possible and will do my badges, won’t push to be a manager but definitely want to coach

Coaching is great. Dealing with idiot parents is horrendous. So glad I just get to watch my boy as a parent now without all the grief and can just sympathise with the p!sh the coaches always have to put up with.

The_razors_edge
1 hour ago, Ribble said:

Played and managed a tiny bit at amateur level, once Ribble jnr is old enough to play football and assuming he enjoys it, I fully intend on being as involved as possible and will do my badges, won’t push to be a manager but definitely want to coach

If I remember correctly you’re in Dunfermline mate? If/once he’s ready give me a shout, I’ll happily get you involved with my grassroots club - badges up to 1.3, first aid and PVG all paid for by the club. 

The_razors_edge
8 hours ago, Lord Montpelier said:

I was down there a few weeks ago and got the "you don't fancy being chairman?" question. 

Which made me shiver uncontrollably and run out the pavilion at a million miles an hour. Not for all the tea in China. 

Shitebag 😂

Armageddon
4 hours ago, TallPaul said:

Kids football does revolve around a core 6 or 7 and the other 33 are cast aside.  

The core 6 or 7 are the coaches kids and their pals, or the arse licking dads!  That’s a fact.  No volunteer can pick off a so called ‘elite’ small A Team, but we allow it to happen.

In that batch of 33 x 8 year olds is where Scottish football is dying, they get disinterested and are never developed, now multiply that through Scotland and you have a frightening amount of kids being cast aside.

Scottish sport has developed zero elite athletes, Andy Murray was all down to his mum, Robert McIntyre was down to his dad and the fact he lived on a golf course.  Sir Chris Hoy was just a machine - all driven individuals.

Curling is the only team sport to go against the grain, and they give everyone a chance when you look at the development structure.

Scottish football needs to change at grass roots level and IMO these so called A Teams need scrapped and all kids should be mixing and developing together.

5 hours ago, Morgan said:

Oh!  It was a joke?  🤷🏿‍♂️

I hadn't realised that.  If only you’d said, I would have posted :rofl:instead.

Keep churning them gems out.  👍

3 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Edited for you 

Take it outside please gents, it would be nice if at least one thread on here wasn't derailed by petty bickering.

Lord Montpelier
9 minutes ago, The_razors_edge said:

Shitebag 😂

110% correct

Dawnrazor
5 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Kids football does revolve around a core 6 or 7 and the other 33 are cast aside.  

The core 6 or 7 are the coaches kids and their pals, or the arse licking dads!  That’s a fact.  No volunteer can pick off a so called ‘elite’ small A Team, but we allow it to happen.

In that batch of 33 x 8 year olds is where Scottish football is dying, they get disinterested and are never developed, now multiply that through Scotland and you have a frightening amount of kids being cast aside.

Scottish sport has developed zero elite athletes, Andy Murray was all down to his mum, Robert McIntyre was down to his dad and the fact he lived on a golf course.  Sir Chris Hoy was just a machine - all driven individuals.

Curling is the only team sport to go against the grain, and they give everyone a chance when you look at the development structure.

Scottish football needs to change at grass roots level and IMO these so called A Teams need scrapped and all kids should be mixing and developing together.

I was told by a coach at a Gallagher League team that academies are similar, out of, say, twenty lads, there will be one or maybe two that they consider potential professional players, the rest are there to provide that one or two a high quality competitive environment to develop.

My Nephew is doing an apprenticeship at Scottish Championship side, he was the one in the academy, he's been on the bench for the senior team a few times this season, he's a goalkeeper.

7 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

I think I disagree with you here, to an extent. At our club we have different levels for each age group depending on ability. I feel this works well for making sure players don't become disinterested because the drills are too hard or they're having other players run rings around them. 

One of the biggest problems that I've seen is ego. Either from a parent who believes their child is going to make it and can't accept that they're not developing as quickly as they believe they are, or coaches ego that just want their teams to hammer each opponent and will sneak ringers into their side to do it. I've had to stop friendlies in the past because someone just wanted their team to hammer us and sent out players two levels above us and it was just pointless. They don't learn anything from it.

Attitudes need to change first before you look at anything else.

rudi must stay
9 minutes ago, Bender said:

Take it outside please gents, it would be nice if at least one thread on here wasn't derailed by petty bickering.

Ok I'll put my coat on 

TallPaul
17 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

100% in all this. 

Lord Montpelier
14 minutes ago, Bender said:

I think I disagree with you here, to an extent. At our club we have different levels for each age group depending on ability. I feel this works well for making sure players don't become disinterested because the drills are too hard or they're having other players run rings around them. 

One of the biggest problems that I've seen is ego. Either from a parent who believes their child is going to make it and can't accept that they're not developing as quickly as they believe they are, or coaches ego that just want their teams to hammer each opponent and will sneak ringers into their side to do it. I've had to stop friendlies in the past because someone just wanted their team to hammer us and sent out players two levels above us and it was just pointless. They don't learn anything from it.

Attitudes need to change first before you look at anything else.

Kids start at such a young age now. It's almost like a kid that turns up at a club age 7 or 8 could already be 3 years behind their peers. 

Clubs I don't think have a choice other than to "tier" them to have them developing with kids at similar stages. Anything else like you say can result in wild mismatches and disjointed training sessions benefitting no-one. 

For grassroots clubs it's then imperative they set up structures to cater for this. Typically though that's constrained by access to facilities particularly over winter and as Razor points out, getting the bodies in to volunteer (good luck with your recruitment efforts above Razor lol)