Happy 10th anniversary of the ‘relegation derby’

Craigieboy

Section Q
3 hours ago, busbyfth said:

bet you didnt need to shop the guy sitting in the front row with the green top, having a whale of a time with his laddie !!!

One word describes his look - DEJECTED 

Wonder if they kept the party hats.........😁

I’ve been at 100s of derbys and there’s been some real memorable ones over the years from the mercer derby through to the cup final but I genuinely think I enjoyed the derbys and that one in particular more that season than any before. That relegation party stuff gave me more motivation to go that day after what had been a long hard season so what it did for Lockie and the boys in that dressing room was just inspirational, had to be the easiest team talk in history. 

The songs that day were amazing, their faces when Carrick scored the first, that sinking feeling as they looked at each other knowing they made prize tits of themselves. Even then it wasn’t the most painful match of their season!

4 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

One of my favoirite derbies. Loved it. Also loved seeing Gary pounding his Heart when we slotted one in against them! Delicious. What a bunch of utter fuds 😂😂😂

I think the fact an absolute die hard Jambo was in charge adds more to it. He’d have been in the stands with us if he hadn’t been in the dug out. No danger we’re Hibs relegating us at Tynecastle on Lockies watch 🇱🇻

martoon
3 hours ago, trotter said:

I've thought about this very thing a lot. We were relegated that season before the first ball was kicked. It was a matter of when, not if. If they had, especially at Tynie, it would've been a sickener to take, no doubt about it. But i honestly think that as a fan base we would've collectively got over it relatively quickly and got on with supporting the team back up. 

Compare and contrast with the sheer quantity of tears, snotters and butthurt that still eminates from over t'road over one day in May. 

🇱🇻 🇱🇻 

I agree.

They would have made sooooo much out of it but it just serves to illustrate how pathetic they are.

No club is ever relegated by a single game.

I can't post a link but take a look at YouTube footage of Dundee fans and their joy at "relegating" Dundee Utd in 2016.

It's beyond pathetic.

"Revenge for United winning 2 League Cup at Dens (including the 0-3 derby final of 1980/81)" they claim and "the 1983 title clincher".

Naw it wisnae. 

It doesn't even scratch the surface.

But Dundee fans will still cherish that game as if it is.

:4_1_72:

And Hibs, and their fans, didn't even see it through.

Edited by martoon

Gillsland jack
11 hours ago, Rudy T said:

I think the fact an absolute die hard Jambo was in charge adds more to it. He’d have been in the stands with us if he hadn’t been in the dug out. No danger we’re Hibs relegating us at Tynecastle on Lockies watch 🇱🇻

Yes its a shame we don't talk about this game more, for me it was up there with a cup final victory, knowing how sick it makes them when we win something, I kinda seen how devastated they were after this game still not knowing what was to come with their relegation.

I would like to see a commerative trophy designed or maybe a wee glass engraved champagne glass set, it will have relegation derby winner on it, then get Lockie on the pitch at half-time at any game but possibly a derby and give GL the credit he deserves for getting us all through that game that day, with a victory.

TexasAndy

The utter self humiliation.  Possibly the most embarrassing own goal ever by a support.  Yet they still maintain an arrogance to this day.   

PortyBeach
On 31/03/2024 at 11:24, davemclaren said:

It was quite an achievement, in many ways, for them to get relegated that season.  The second leg of the playoff is one of my favourite tv watches. 🤩

Quite how they managed to contrive to put themselves into that situation beggars belief - well, almost. 
It’s hilarious stuff 😂

davemclaren
1 hour ago, PortyBeach said:

Quite how they managed to contrive to put themselves into that situation beggars belief - well, almost. 
It’s hilarious stuff 😂

Indeed.  The ultimate Hibsed-it really. 

Ricardo Quaresma
4 hours ago, Gillsland jack said:

Yes its a shame we don't talk about this game more, for me it was up there with a cup final victory, knowing how sick it makes them when we win something, I kinda seen how devastated they were after this game still not knowing what was to come with their relegation.

I would like to see a commerative trophy designed or maybe a wee glass engraved champagne glass set, it will have relegation derby winner on it, then get Lockie on the pitch at half-time at any game but possibly a derby and give GL the credit he deserves for getting us all through that game that day, with a victory.

I remember shortly after that game I posted on here that they were 'bricking it' :rofl:

Then the 2 CP headers at ER, shortly followed by the protests "wur gaun doon stotty" 😆

Finally, the single boyd goal loss to killie :smuggy:

Like everyone else, thought it was over after 0-2 at hamilton

Just getting started :rofl:

Ricardo Quaresma
4 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

The utter self humiliation.  Possibly the most embarrassing own goal ever by a support.  Yet they still maintain an arrogance to this day.   

Convinced it's mostly Hearts Fans on there, leading them up the garden path continually

Surely :cornette_dog:

-

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma