Transfer " war chest"

Bazzas right boot

Seymour M Hersh

I have an exclusive photo of the Heart of Midlothian "warchest".

th.jpeg

FarmerTweedy
3 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Tbh, the idea is not to spend any money, it would be to divert funds that were previously used for projects and extra like foh funds and part of players save so that it becomes a more substantial amount.

It wouldn't be a case of spend no money, that would be daft.

We have a stronger base and no long term projects so there may be scope to "save" some so that thre is a more substantial amount in the medium term future to spend.

It wouldn't be a case of spending none, in fact spending would be on par with the last few seasons but with no project's, the funds that we're used for them would go to the "war chest".

I didn't say spend no money, and was aware you weren't suggesting that.  Your suggestion is that we don't spend some money that we have available and can afford to spend now, so that we can instead spend it in the future.  My reply talked about exactly that, and explained why I don't think it makes sense.

naeclue

I think it's all about the way we can attract players - either with wages or by helping players improve and build their careers.

Transfer fees paid to us would be nice, but signing players on big fees doesn't make much sense for me.

FarmerTweedy
17 hours ago, zeke1874 said:

Don't know about the war chest but continually qualifying for Europe season after season ( long game I ken people want instant success..) will put us in afar stronger position to sign better players.

Long term I'd like to see the foundation money put aside for a major project like stadium expansion. I've pledged since day one and now the club is in a good place financially I'd like to see that money go to something for the future instead of just extra money for the team. We should be able to compete without the pledge money so let's use it for something that will really put us on another level. A 24,000 + capacity stadium would mean we can generate way more money and really pull us away from all the non old firm teams...

I think if the club actually do have long term plans which involve likely further expansion of Tynecastle (or other major infrastructure projects such as new training facilities), it would make sense to start saving up a bit of money to go towards that now, given that such projects would cost a lot, and probably require substantial borrowing with resultant significant interest costs. Building up a pot over the coming years to go towards that could save a significant amount of that interest.

That's a different story from the OP's proposal of simply not spending some money on the team now so we can spend that money on the team later.

Hearts1975
On 30/03/2024 at 11:13, zeke1874 said:

I get what you're saying. Of course the guaranteed group stage is a big money earner but if its not available it's out of our hands. The only thing we have in our control is to keep qualifying for Europe. Which should really be the status quo for us in Scottish terms. The more we qualify and play in Europe then slowly our seeding improves. There was an article about it this week ( we are still ranked lower than Aberdeen, simply because they have played in Europe way more than us the last 10 years or so) 

Regular qualification will slowly improve our seeding so hopefully we avoid the stronger teams. PAOK were too much for us this season but that's not to say we couldn't beat a Greek team in the future. Like I said smaller clubs than us have made the group stages the hard way...

What can be frustrating, is when u watch other Scottish teams in Europe, you are almost willing them out of the competition - I do it myself, yet, it's at the detriment of our own chances if the co-efficient drops.

But then I don't think many will support all Scottish teams in Europe as a result of having better qualification chances for their own side.

I just can't do it, personally, and always have a smug look and a chuckle when other scottish sides get bombed out. 

Agree in principle with everything else you have said. I wasn't oblivious to this at all, but was just trying to re-emphasize the importance of having the ability to gain entry to the group stages, and without negotiating one off ties, in the resultant qualification legs.

As you say, we can only effect, what we can effect. 

Edited by Hearts1975

gregzy2k7

Ah the fated "war chest" eh? 

Never heard anybody use that term and it actually result in a club spending a big amount of money on players 💰 😆 🤣 

It's usually paper talk, spread by shite and or bored journalists to fill a news column.

It's a nice idea though, but really not a fan of that word tbh.

martoon

Iirc, Ann suggested recently that there was no need. Something about us not being a bank and therefore hoarding cash was unnecessary.

Spend what we have, and only what we have, and improve the club incrementally day by day, month by month...

There's also no need for vague, hollow empty promises about things being better tomorrow. We're probably already better than we were yesterday and the future, immediate and long term looks about as assured as it can be.

Feck me, it's magic being a Hearts supporter. 💕 😊

Edited by martoon