Andy Irving

colinmorewasgash

colinmorewasgash

The former Hearts midfielder Andy Irving is looking forward to the summer as he has shone in the Austrian Bundesliga for Klagenfurt over the past two seasons but it was still a surprise when it emerged last summer that West Ham were lining him up. The Austrian side became an affiliate of the Irons and it was the first trading of a player to come from that.There was a bit of a grey area around the transfer with Irving officially becoming a player owned by the Hammers but remaining at Klagenfurt after the summer deadline passed. He's now spoken on it for the first time and revealed he will be joining West Ham for pre-season training in the summer. Be interesting to see what happens to him and fair play to the lad he was talented but never thought he would ever get a chance at that level.

GavK1012

Amazing career move for him, I was positive when he decided to move to get out his comfort zone and see how it worked out. Cue the absolute melts who tried to belittle him and be unnecessarily negative when he done something the majority of us could only wish....

Interview with the EEN yesterday:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/exclusive-andy-irving-explains-his-west-ham-transfer-making-history-after-hearts-plus-his-scotland-hopes-4568011

Exclusive: Andy Irving explains his West Ham transfer, making history after Hearts, plus his Scotland hopes

Austria Klagenfurt's push for Europe is preparing the midfielder for England

The route from Klagenfurt am Wörthersee to Rush Green isn't exactly well-trodden. Few footballers have travelled directly from Austria's sixth-largest city to the English Premier League, so Andy Irving is a bit of a trailblazer. He is aiming to make history with his current club, Austria Klagenfurt, before a transfer worth seven figures takes him to East London this summer.

Swarms of people awaiting his arrival outside West Ham United's training ground are unlikely. He will check in largely under the radar from the Austrian Bundesliga. As a quiet unassuming type, that might well be his preference. It doesn't mean he will be content just to make up the numbers. At 23, Irving is a midfielder of notable ambition who is not scared to do things differently.

He already has some experience of trailblazing after leaving Hearts in 2021 to join the German third-tier club Türkgücü Munich. Their financial collapse saw him move to Klagenfurt a year later. When West Ham appointed Tim Steidten technical director in summer 2023, he already had a strong eye on the Austrian market. He knew of Irving from his time in Munich and monitored him closely. The player was quickly transferred to West Ham and loaned back to Klagenfurt for this season.

Dates are now in place for him to report to Rush Green for pre-season training. He is preparing for yet more trailblazing as Steidten's link-up between England and Austria kicks into action. First, Irving is focused on helping his current team achieve history with their highest-ever domestic finish. Last season, he helped Klagenfurt to sixth place by contributing six goals and nine assists from 34 appearances. He has four goals and four assists from 22 games to date this term. The club are currently fifth and will qualify for European competition if they stay there.

Irving is now a fluent German speaker and does media interviews in his second language. Thankfully, he sticks to English for an exclusive chat with the Edinburgh News. "I've definitely developed a lot over the past two years here, in all aspects," he says. "The style here in Austria has allowed me to play as a more attacking midfielder, which has changed my game quite a bit. Since I’ve been here we’ve been pretty successful in reaching the top six both years, which is big for the club. Obviously, being one point off Europe last year was close and we would love to change that this time around.

"It’s not all been rosy since I came abroad but I’ve loved every minute of being abroad with its ups and downs. I have grown massively as a person and as a footballer. The life experience away from the pitch has been amazing, in terms of where I’ve lived, the friends I’ve met and having learnt a new language. When you add in the football side of things, that only adds to the enjoyment I’ve had."

Two of his closest friends are Klagenfurt team-mates, the German forward Sinan Karweina and Austrian defender Nicolas Wimmer. "I spend a lot of my time with my team-mates here. There is a group of us that are alone here so we tend to do a lot of things together," explains Irving. "We’re often drinking coffee together, eating together and normally having some sort of debate! There is a mix of culture so it’s quite an interesting group to be a part of. They have become great friends and have made my time here very enjoyable.

"The nature here is class and I enjoy a swim in the lake and playing some padel tennis with the boys. My girlfriend doesn’t live here but, with her being a teacher, there are plenty opportunities for her to come out which is always great. My family have all been out to Klagenfurt as have my friends and they’ve all loved it - and Klagenfurt definitely enjoyed having them.

"I’ve been doing interviews in German for a fair bit now and I am comfortable speaking German. The Austrian dialect is much different to what I learned in Germany but I’ve picked it up. Everyone seems to understand me better in German than they do in my Scottish accent."

Finishing with a flourish in Austria would set him up nicely for the biggest challenge of his career to date. Irving knows the task awaiting him in England is daunting, however he is far from overawed. Competing for a place in the West Ham midfield are the Brazilian internationalist Lucas Paquetá, England cap Jarrod Bowen and the Czech Republic captain Tomáš Souček.

The Scot is understandably elated at joining an established EPL side once the Klagenfurt loan agreement expires. He fully intends to seize the opportunity. "I heard about the possibility from my agents about 10 days before the window shut [last August]. It was a lot to take in having games to focus on too, but of course it’s something every kid dreams about. I was buzzing, as were my family," he says.

"Travelling to London was a bit chaotic. It was during the time when UK control towers were down so flying to Brussels and then driving with my agent to London wasn’t exactly the easiest - but it was definitely worth it, absolutely. I believe that I can go to West Ham and show my quality. It’s a challenge I’m very excited for. I understand the level that I’m going to and it’s up to me to show that I can play at that level."

It remains to be seen if David Moyes, a fellow Scotsman, renews his contract to remain West Ham manager for next season. Irving knows he must impress whoever is in charge in order to secure a place in the first-team squad. Another loan may be a possibility given United already have players farmed out to clubs in England, Denmark, France and Netherlands.

Should he make the desired long-term impact in England, Irving would surely come into contention for a Scotland cap. He represented his country at under-17, under-19 and under-21 level and a long-term ambition is to make the final step into the senior side. Scotland's current left-sided central midfielders are 29-year-old John McGinn, 30-year-old Callum McGregor and 32-year-old Kenny McLean, so a succession plan is vital over the next few years.

Speaking German isn't sufficient to earn him a call-up for this summer's European Championship despite Scotland playing in Munich, Cologne and Stuttgart. The next generation of the national team will likely start breaking through during qualifiers for the 2026 World Cup and the 2028 European Championship. Irving's career trajectory suggests a player with the potential to force himself into the senior international arena.

"Yeah, it was always an honour to play for Scotland throughout the youth and I would love to represent Scotland at senior level. If I keep working hard to improve and perform well, then hopefully I can make that a reality."

The trailblazer from Portobello has had quite an adventure already, from Edinburgh to Munich and now Klagenfurt. As he prepares to move on to London, it is worth considering whether he is only just getting started.

boag1874

Honestly fair play, he took a risk and it's paid off.

Proof that you can't judge a player at 20 years old, most people thought he'd be back playing in the Scottish championship within 6 months but here he is 3 years on bossing it in a better league than the Scottish premiership and on the books at a massive EPL side.

We've moved on and gone from strength to strength since he was here and he's done the same with his development so clearly he picked the right path in the end after a rocky first year in Munich.

Nucky Thompson

I read about that yesterday.

The lad has got his head screwed on. He's learned German while over there and gives his interviews in the native language.

Seems to be really popular with his team mates and fans 

Bongo 1874

Stendel's looking on like a proud dad Andy 😉,keep it up, and welcome back at us anytime.

joondalupjambo

A lot of Scottish people flourish when they leave these shores.

Good luck to the guy and well done for taking the step.

Strange move as he'll never ever play in the West Ham first team,fair play to him however going abroad learning the lingo and by all accounts helping his Austrian team up the league 👍

RustyRightPeg

He was (and is still) a good player. Good on him.

Spoke to him last summer, seen him at the Fringe and he is an incredibly nice boy, really humble. 

Scott Leitch
27 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Stendel's looking on like a proud dad Andy 😉,keep it up, and welcome back at us anytime.

😂

Lone Striker
8 minutes ago, rory78 said:

Strange move as he'll never ever play in the West Ham first team,fair play to him however going abroad learning the lingo and by all accounts helping his Austrian team up the league 👍

Some folk on here wrote him off at every club he's been at, including Hearts.   He sounds like a guy who thrives on  a challenge, so its a bit insulting to write him off as a potential EPL player.

Footballfirst

I wonder if Hearts will be due some compensation from his "transfer" to West Ham in September last year. Andy turned 23 in May 2023.

From a UEFA document: 

4. SOLIDARITY MECHANISM If a player moves during the course of a contract, after reaching the age of 23 or after his second transfer (whichever comes first)], a proportion (5%) of any compensation paid to the previous club will be distributed to the club(s) involved in the training and education of the player. This distribution will be made in proportion to the number of years the player has been registered with the relevant clubs between the age of 12 and 23.

Scott Leitch
9 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Some folk on here wrote him off at every club he's been at, including Hearts.   He sounds like a guy who thrives on  a challenge, so its a bit insulting to write him off as a potential EPL player.

He won't play for West Ham in the EPL. 

46 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

FFS :laugh:

Madjambo21

Hands up didn't see him doing much when he lest us but I wish him well.

Hope he makes it at West ham so we can watch him and Hickey battle it out next season 

Decent player, but can't help wondering if this is some sort of FFP dodge. Would be surprised to see him ousting Ward-Prouse, Pacqueta et al.

Bongo 1874

You have always had it Andy, that day you pocketed Lewis Ferguson to me proved,you could be a very special player.

SomethingAboutObua

Jesus christ, the absolute desperation of folk to be 'right' about players. Guys leaves at 20 - 'aye he'll be back in the championship in 6 months, never good enough'

goes to german 3rd tier - 'aye but he canne get a game there, no a better league than bottom of the Premiership'

Gets a move to Austria bundesliga- 'aye but he'll never play there, that's the highest he'll go, Austria top flight's only about our level eh?' 

Gets a move to West Ham - 'he'll neve make it there, no good enough eh? A ken best cos I said a 19 year old wisnae a finished product once before and a wiz right then ken eh?' 

Shut the **** up you clueless gits, he's in his early 20's and had a significantly better football career and knowledge than any of us, give the boy a chance to actually train with West Ham before telling us how he'll get on there ffs 

HexhamJambo
2 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Decent player, but can't help wondering if this is some sort of FFP dodge. Would be surprised to see him ousting Ward-Prouse, Pacqueta et al.

West Ham have a partnership with Klagenfurt. Essentially, instead of buying shares in them, WHUFC funnelled money to Klagenfurt by buying Irving on the understanding he'd be loaned back for the foreseeable. Not an insult to him to say he won't make it at West Ham, he's never going to actually be there. 

4marsbars

It's great to see youngsters we rated highly doing well and confirming our early impressions.

Just a pity that he didn't stay longer at Hearts. 

The Hearts team he played in was utter dug shit. Wasn't a great time to come through. Always thought his talent was obvious but didn't think he was quick enough to play at a much higher level. Clearly the moves he's made have given him a bit of maturity and he's developed well. Good luck to him. I hope he gets himself to the next level and gets himself in a Scotland squad. 

lost in space
25 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Jesus christ, the absolute desperation of folk to be 'right' about players. Guys leaves at 20 - 'aye he'll be back in the championship in 6 months, never good enough'

goes to german 3rd tier - 'aye but he canne get a game there, no a better league than bottom of the Premiership'

Gets a move to Austria bundesliga- 'aye but he'll never play there, that's the highest he'll go, Austria top flight's only about our level eh?' 

Gets a move to West Ham - 'he'll neve make it there, no good enough eh? A ken best cos I said a 19 year old wisnae a finished product once before and a wiz right then ken eh?' 

Shut the **** up you clueless gits, he's in his early 20's and had a significantly better football career and knowledge than any of us, give the boy a chance to actually train with West Ham before telling us how he'll get on there ffs 

Jesus Christ, the absolute desperation of some posters to slag off other posters.......

11 minutes ago, HexhamJambo said:

West Ham have a partnership with Klagenfurt. Essentially, instead of buying shares in them, WHUFC funnelled money to Klagenfurt by buying Irving on the understanding he'd be loaned back for the foreseeable. Not an insult to him to say he won't make it at West Ham, he's never going to actually be there. 

He is going next season, no idea how long he’ll be there but to say he won’t be there is wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

The Hearts team he played in was utter dug shit. Wasn't a great time to come through. Always thought his talent was obvious but didn't think he was quick enough to play at a much higher level. Clearly the moves he's made have given him a bit of maturity and he's developed well. Good luck to him. I hope he gets himself to the next level and gets himself in a Scotland squad. 

Neilson IMO could have done a lot more to have encouraged the laddie to stay. 

Wish him the best, he did something different and I'm glad its worked out for him. Jambo too, so hopefully see him push on at West Ham. 

Hopefully we see him back in maroon eventually. 

tian447

The football bit aside, he has jumped in at the deep end with something new, and has picked up a new language to the point where he can do interviews in it.  All whilst doing something he loves.

Fair ****ing play.  Doing something well outside of his comfort zone is something that young Scottish footballers have struggled with in recent years.

Lord Montpelier
1 minute ago, tian447 said:

The football bit aside, he has jumped in at the deep end with something new, and has picked up a new language to the point where he can do interviews in it.  All whilst doing something he loves.

Fair ****ing play.  Doing something well outside of his comfort zone is something that young Scottish footballers have struggled with in recent years.

Agree with that. Is good to see more young lads going abroad, Irving, Doig, Gauld, Ferguson probably others

davemclaren
43 minutes ago, Dazo said:

He is going next season, no idea how long he’ll be there but to say he won’t be there is wrong. 

I would expect him to be loaned out, but you never know. 

Bongo 1874
Just now, davemclaren said:

What are you suggesting dave 🤔😂.

davemclaren
Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

What are you suggesting dave 🤔😂.

😎

Smithian

Good for this young man. Jumping off into a new country is the type of risk I would never take, so fair play to kids like him who do the thing and thrive.

9 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Me too, just correcting the nonsense he won’t be at West Ham. He’s done very well for himself, not sure why people need to stick the boot in. 

Benny Klack

Good on him - he’s taken an unorthodox route in his career but it seems to be paying off. Must be helluva tempting in Scottish fitba to get into a comfort zone and never push yourself further than the central belt.

Going abroad, learning a new language, new culture and general broadening of horizons will make you a better person let alone a better player.

Kids these days should look to the likes of him, Hickey, Ferguson, Doig (even Henderson) and see that going outside the country can be a tremendous career opportunity.

Great player - hope he succeeds 

Edited by Benny Klack

SeaOfMaroon
3 hours ago, the posh bit said:

Meh. 

What's the point of posting just to say this?

reaths17
2 hours ago, OTT said:

Neilson IMO could have done a lot more to have encouraged the laddie to stay. 

Wish him the best, he did something different and I'm glad its worked out for him. Jambo too, so hopefully see him push on at West Ham. 

Hopefully we see him back in maroon eventually. 

it wasn't neilson it was levein that forced him out

soonbe110
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

To Klagenfurt? 

After all the players we have signed from that neck of the woods it’s good to see players from home take a chance down under.  Best of luck mate. 

Des Lynam

He has broadened his horizons and learnt a new language which is wonderful. All the best to him. 

Some sensitive souls on here 😂😂

"The bad men don't rate a player 😭"

Bunny Munro
31 minutes ago, reaths17 said:

it wasn't neilson it was levein that forced him out

He was here about a year after CL left.

reaths17

levein was director of fitba and they didn't get on so he decided to leave no matter what there was no changing his mind after that

Jack Torrance
41 minutes ago, May98 said:

After all the players we have signed from that neck of the woods it’s good to see players from home take a chance down under.  Best of luck mate. 

Austria mate. 😜

And he's no Finnish, before anyone asks... 😁

spacerjoe
7 hours ago, Taffin said:

Good news story and gives hope to the rest of us.

You fancying a move to the German 3rd Division?

tian447
16 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

You fancying a move to the German 3rd Division?

Tbh, I'd take that in a flash if it made financial sense :lol:

upgotheheads
9 hours ago, GavK1012 said:

Amazing career move for him, I was positive when he decided to move to get out his comfort zone and see how it worked out. Cue the absolute melts who tried to belittle him and be unnecessarily negative when he done something the majority of us could only wish....

Yup. He backed himself and already has had the kind of life experience that most people could only dream of. Well done to him, and I always liked him as a player.

Jim_Duncan
2 hours ago, May98 said:

:rofl: