Baltimore Key Bridge Collapse

Sooperstar

Sooperstar

A container ship has run into a road bridge in Baltimore causing it to completely collapse. Not going to be a good outcome for the folk on the bridge at the time. 

48 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Sheeeeeeiiiiiiiiiitttttt

This isn’t the time for humour mate. People on here might have friends or family in Baltimore. 

Jim_Duncan

Wife hadn’t told me she was starting her new job as a ship driver today. 

AlimOzturk
1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Sheeeeeeiiiiiiiiiitttttt

I know I shouldn’t but this made me laugh. 

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Sheeeeeeiiiiiiiiiitttttt

Bunk Moreland.

been here before

Crivvens, surely a bridge shouldnt go down like that 😮

been here before
33 minutes ago, Tazio said:

This isn’t the time for humour mate. People on here might have friends or family in Baltimore. 

Subtle.... very subtle.

The video shows it ploughing straight into a support column. Which somehow then travels the length of the bridge taking out more columns. It went down fast. 

iantjambo
25 minutes ago, been here before said:

Crivvens, surely a bridge shouldnt go down like that 😮

That’s what I thought. Obviously, a ship hitting a bridge is going to cause major damage. But the whole thing went down like it was made of Lego.

John Findlay
13 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

The video shows it ploughing straight into a support column. Which somehow then travels the length of the bridge taking out more columns. It went down fast. 

Like a pack of cards, unfortunately.

JDK2020
1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Wife hadn’t told me she was starting her new job as a ship driver today. 

FFS! 

joondalupjambo
17 minutes ago, Bozi said:

No Clay Davies 

Of course it was, my bad.

Memory had Clay in my head but Bunk as the name.  

An expert saying the bridge had no chance, he described the support column as looking like a relatively flimsy trestle like affair.

4 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

An expert saying the bridge had no chance, he described the support column as looking like a relatively flimsy trestle like affair.

It does look like a pretty shitty construction, to be fair.

Japan Jambo
2 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Yup, but think the ship captain should be facing most of the questions tbf. 

Jim_Duncan
11 minutes ago, JDK2020 said:

FFS! 

That's what I said when she reversed our new car (complete with reversing camera) into a tree.

Hope they can get as many survivors out of the water as possible and find out how this happened to stop it ever occurring again. 

hughesie27
1 hour ago, joondalupjambo said:

Bunk Moreland.

Wrong.

Sooperstar
7 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Yup, but think the ship captain should be facing most of the questions tbf. 

The ship went on fire and sunk, so he might not be around to answer the questions. 

I P Knightley
6 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

I'm sure that an engineer will be able to explain this better than me but it's possible to build a steel structure (such as that bridge) to withstand an enormous weight of traffic using it without the structure itself being super heavyweight. I expect that this bridge was designed without the powers of computer modelling to test it for thousands of unexpected events such as this collision. Looks like someone knocked out the wrong Jenga bar.

AlimOzturk
19 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Of course it was, my bad.

Memory had Clay in my head but Bunk as the name.  

Bunk liked a good shiiiittte comment to tbf. 

Though clays was the best. 

800k vessels went through the bridge last year. There was no chance those relatively flimsy bridge supports were standing up to a container ship of that size. 

I think the captain of the ship has been lining himself up between the two red flashing lights thinking the lights are on the piers.

Incidentally there are no white or green lights present indicating safe route through the bridge although concede there may be different pracricies in different parts of the world. Such a busy watercourse and the fact there is no significant pier protection seems incredible also.

(I'm partly responsible for vessel navigation lights on Forth and Tay bridges)

Edited by Homme

Ships normally have a harbour pilot to get them out to open sea or in to dock. The captain would hand over control of the ship until they are in safe water.

Looks dodgy. My guess is that it's the start of a worldwide terror campaign.

Daktari
16 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

The ship went on fire and sunk, so he might not be around to answer the questions. 

1 minute ago, Homme said:

I think the captain of the ship has been lining himself up between the two red flashing lights thinking the lights are on the piers.

From the BBC - Local pilots onboard......

Shipping company Synergy Marine Group confirms that its Singapore-flagged container ship 'Dali' has collided with a pillar of the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore.

"Whilst the exact cause of the incident is yet to be determined, the 'Dali' has now mobilised its Qualified Individual Incident response service," it says.

All crew members, including the two pilots who were aboard, have been accounted for and there are no reports of any injuries, it adds.

Victorian

The sheer mass of the ship multipied by the speed (albeit slow) means immense inertia travelling through the bridge pier.  A knife through butter.  

Ray Gin
2 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Sheeeeeeiiiiiiiiiitttttt

I feel bad for laughing so hard at this.

Daktari

In some ways, it's to be hoped that it was maybe a mechanical issue and the ship lost steerage. Of course there would then be an enquiry about the maintenance regime but a terrible thing for an individual to bear responsibility for.

Daktari
2 minutes ago, Cade said:

Reported as 7 cars being on the bridge at the time.

It looks like there are emergency vehicles with flashing lights to the right hand side of the bridge span just before the collapse.

redjambo
26 minutes ago, Serge said:

Ships normally have a harbour pilot to get them out to open sea or in to dock. The captain would hand over control of the ship until they are in safe water.

There were two pilots aboard, reportedly.

Footballfirst

One expert described the bridge as a "continuous truss" and that was the reason it collapsed as it did, i.e. it buckled along its whole length following the impact.

Key Bridge looking to the northeast with Sparrows Point and the Bethlehem Steel Corporation steel mill and shipyards of southeast Baltimore County in the distance, February 2018

Edited by Footballfirst

Daktari

It actually looks a bit like the old Tay Rail Bridge that collapsed in a storm in 1879.

image.png.726e368d2e934bda6966cb0a7bae48e9.png

Ray Gin
6 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

One expert described the bridge as a "continuous truss" and that was the reason it collapsed as it did, i.e. it buckled along its whole length following the impact.

Key Bridge looking to the northeast with Sparrows Point and the Bethlehem Steel Corporation steel mill and shipyards of southeast Baltimore County in the distance, February 2018

So basically we're ****ed if someone steers a ship in to one of the stands at Tynecastle?

4 minutes ago, Daktari said:

It actually looks a bit like the old Tay Rail Bridge that collapsed in a storm in 1879.

image.png.726e368d2e934bda6966cb0a7bae48e9.png

I was thinking the same thing 

Victorian

The FD chief said someone who went into the water was rescued and is essentially uninjured.  

1 hour ago, Serge said:

Aye, hit bridge pier, max damage to bridge and ship... dodgy as...

Ray Gin
13 minutes ago, FWJ said:

As catastrophic as it is - if it had happened at 1.30 pm instead of 1.30 am ….

Presumably they would have spotted the bridge in the middle of the afternoon

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Presumably they would have spotted the bridge in the middle of the afternoon

You’d think experienced local pilots would be aware of it anyway (and I’m sure it would be lit) 

Has to be a navigation light failure. Honestly can't think of any other reason this would happen in the dead of night.

Mikey1874
12 minutes ago, Homme said:

Has to be a navigation light failure. Honestly can't think of any other reason this would happen in the dead of night.

Daktari
14 minutes ago, Homme said:

A Singapore-based shipping expert who has sailed cargo ships through Baltimore’s port many times has been speaking with the BBC.

“The vessel had just departed from berth and made a turn before hitting the bridge”.

Having seen the footage, he has said there were a few possible causes:

Main engine failure

Steering failure

Generator blackout

Possibility of pilot/human error

Sooperstar
33 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Smart move.

received_641695064764693.jpeg

Knee-jerk reaction. Surely better to wait and assess the extent of the damage. 

IMG-20240326-WA0000.jpg