Food hints / ideas after High blood pressure diagnosis

JudyJudyJudy

Ulysses
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

They also spike pre diabetes 

however this article says they are ok , ? I am getting mixed messages online about it ?

https://www.eatingwell.com/article/8078393/do-bananas-lower-blood-pressure/#:~:text=Are bananas OK if you,manage sodium intake as well.

Feck me, that came as a surprise, but it seems to be a real thing.  Apparently a lot of BP medicines increase your blood potassium levels, and if you add more to those by eating potassium-rich foods you risk getting an excessive potassium level and causing heart arrhythmia problems.

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

Feck me, that came as a surprise, but it seems to be a real thing.  Apparently a lot of BP medicines increase your blood potassium levels, and if you add more to those by eating potassium-rich foods you risk getting an excessive potassium level and causing heart arrhythmia problems.

I know you can’t win it seems , however that article says they are ok in moderation . I was having one every day . 

Ulysses
29 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I know you can’t win it seems , however that article says they are ok in moderation . I was having one every day . 

I'd say one a day is moderate, unless your diet is completely made up of stuff that's high in potassium. 

JudyJudyJudy
22 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I'd say one a day is moderate, unless your diet is completely made up of stuff that's high in potassium. 

Yep . 

tightrope
3 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

They also spike pre diabetes 

however this article says they are ok , ? I am getting mixed messages online about it ?

https://www.eatingwell.com/article/8078393/do-bananas-lower-blood-pressure/#:~:text=Are bananas OK if you,manage sodium intake as well.

Honestly don't now know, I was told by the doc to eat in moderation, but best avoided. He was about 150 though. 

Wee Mikey
On 23/03/2024 at 10:26, davemclaren said:

Bloody hell, that's high. 

Almost as high as mine was just a few minutes ago.

I dunno what thread this should be on ...

... but ...

Screenshot_20240324_174738_Photo Editor.jpg

davemclaren
14 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

... but ...

😫

39 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

... but ...

They should be paying you to take a white pudding off their hands!

Wee Mikey
10 minutes ago, Tazio said:

They should be paying you to take a white pudding off their hands!

Well, I did express my dis-belief, but was given a 🤷‍♂️ in response.

Ps ... it really was as bad as you might imagine ... as was the haggis.

Live & learn, etc.

On a tangent ...

... At least there's now a bollard in place at Greenside Lane to stop those who blindly follow their sat-nav coming to grief. Lol.

Screenshot_20240324_183913_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240324_184014_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20240324_184019_Google.jpg

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

... but ...

Absolute joke 

Wee Mikey
1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Absolute joke 

Absolute choke, more like. 😄

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Wee Mikey said:

Absolute choke, more like. 😄

All those carbs , fats !! Yuck 🤮 I’m jealous did it taste nice ? 

Wee Mikey
1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

All those carbs , fats !! Yuck 🤮 I’m jealous did it taste nice ? 

Put it this way ... last night's impromptu 'Burns Supper' as made by my gal was streets ahead ... and a fraction of the cost.

Proper haggis, neeps, and tatties.

westbow
On 23/03/2024 at 12:05, JudyJudyJudy said:

Thanks for this advance about salt as i have totally cut it out my diet. Ill start adding safe amounts to dishes etc. I am aware that we need a certain level each day. You are right regarding foods not tasting that great without it. I also use fresh lemons and limes and mix it was salads like spinach and garlic ., parsley etc and i add some vinegar. olive oil and mustard and you get a really tasty dressing. Sometimes add a wee bit honey too . depending on what i am eating.  Yes ive also been reading HBP may be the symptom of another underlying health condition and I def think I have sleep apnea but GP wont entertain this as yet. Ill need to push for this being tested. 

I went to my GP with what the internet said was Sleep Apnea symptoms (wakening up choking and snoring loudly) and was told it wasn't. She said Sleep Apnea was regularly interrupted sleep causing daytime drowsiness. I was referred to the dept of sleep medicine at the Royal Infirmary who, after questionnaires and a home sleep study (uncomfy night that was), arranged for a consultation.  The result of which means I'm on the waiting list for a CPAP. The whole process from GP until now (still waiting) has been 10 months

In the meantime I use mouth taping, which works partially for me but maybe not for everyone. I only use a postage size piece of 3M tape - other crazies tape their whole mouth shut.

The links give some info.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36141367/

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/sep/25/the-tiktok-mouth-taping-trend-may-not-be-as-beneficial-as-youre-told

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, westbow said:

I went to my GP with what the internet said was Sleep Apnea symptoms (wakening up choking and snoring loudly) and was told it wasn't. She said Sleep Apnea was regularly interrupted sleep causing daytime drowsiness. I was referred to the dept of sleep medicine at the Royal Infirmary who, after questionnaires and a home sleep study (uncomfy night that was), arranged for a consultation.  The result of which means I'm on the waiting list for a CPAP. The whole process from GP until now (still waiting) has been 10 months

In the meantime I use mouth taping, which works partially for me but maybe not for everyone. I only use a postage size piece of 3M tape - other crazies tape their whole mouth shut.

The links give some info.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36141367/

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/sep/25/the-tiktok-mouth-taping-trend-may-not-be-as-beneficial-as-youre-told

You trying to kill me !! I already have chronic rhinitis so taping my mouth at night would probably do me in 😂 I’ve never heard of this before . I’ll speak to GP and the sleep A say what he says . Good luck with your referral 👍

All roads lead to Gorgie

I don't know if anyone has mentioned raw beetroot, either juiced or eaten with a meal. It has properties that help blood flow and reduce the pressure. Don't overdo it though as you will start to piss and shit red😄

JudyJudyJudy
JudyJudyJudy
11 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I don't know if anyone has mentioned raw beetroot, either juiced or eaten with a meal. It has properties that help blood flow and reduce the pressure. Don't overdo it though as you will start to piss and shit red😄

I take it in powder form and put it in my juicer , usual with blue berries . And yes the first time I had it my piss was pink ! 😳

All roads lead to Gorgie
3 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I take it in powder form and put it in my juicer , usual with blue berries . And yes the first time I had it my piss was pink ! 😳

😄Pomegranate is another fruit worth trying although they are a bit pricy depending where you get them. They are said to increase testosterone too which can't be a bad thing 😄

JudyJudyJudy
24 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

😄Pomegranate is another fruit worth trying although they are a bit pricy depending where you get them. They are said to increase testosterone too which can't be a bad thing 😄

oooo def , yes heard about them too. cant seem to find them anywhere  

tumblr_lrj7cjj7Oe1qlvie8o1_500.gif

henrysmithsgloves
21 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

... but ...

At those prices,I would have high blood pressure 😲

westbow
2 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Aye it’s good stuff- Costco do a good version of cooked beetroot too which I think is salt free. My wife can’t have it cos she gets low blood pressure and it sends her to sleep 😴 

westbow
2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

You trying to kill me !! I already have chronic rhinitis so taping my mouth at night would probably do me in 😂 I’ve never heard of this before . I’ll speak to GP and the sleep A say what he says . Good luck with your referral 👍

Cheers- I’d happily buy a CPAP from Amazon but scared I’ll set it up wrong and fill my lungs to look like Dolly Parton.

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 minute ago, westbow said:

Aye it’s good stuff- Costco do a good version of cooked beetroot too which I think is salt free. My wife can’t have it cos she gets low blood pressure and it sends her to sleep 😴 

It's all about the amount you can tolerate and don't go overboard with anything. The sleep thing is probably why some say to take it close to bed time to aid sleep.

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

You can't find them so often now as all the folks going to the gym are buying them up in numbers. Raising the bar in more ways than one so to speak 😉

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, westbow said:

Cheers- I’d happily buy a CPAP from Amazon but scared I’ll set it up wrong and fill my lungs to look like Dolly Parton.

:0 

22 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Slag.

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Slag.

Hey listen my men don’t need any testosterone substitute when they are even near me !!!  

IMG_7474.gif

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, cheetah said:

Isometric exercises like Planks and wall squats will lower your blood pressure amongst other benefits.

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/57/20/1317

Or you could just stop eating shite.

What a lovely beside manner you have !!! 😎HBP can be caused by a variety of issues . My diet , as confirmed by nutritionnlist only needs a few tweaks and am all set ! 

Fxxx the SPFL
On 24/03/2024 at 07:47, tightrope said:

Bananas are a no if on ace inhibitors for HBP. So be carefull.

What are Ace inhibitors i eat bananas and i'm on Amlodipine morning only and Lisipronol morning/night and Simvastatin at night. 

tightrope

Sure amlodipine is a calcium channel blocker, it is listed as one of the ten most important drugs. It's also feckin poison as far as I am concerned. I had awful side effects, swollen legs headaches etc. If it works for you then great. Ask about a water tablet. Bendroflumethocide or the likes. They help.