Food hints / ideas after High blood pressure diagnosis

JudyJudyJudy

JudyJudyJudy

Hi guys 

been researching this a lot and finding out more and more of what to eat and not . Shocking the amounts of sodium / salt in many foods . 

Any suggestions of foods / sauces / flavouring / herbs / etc which are very low in sodium ? It’s hard to find stuff to add to various dishes such as fish , chicken etc . 

Malinga the Swinga
3 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Hi guys 

been researching this a lot and finding out more and more of what to eat and not . Shocking the amounts of sodium / salt in many foods . 

Any suggestions of foods / sauces / flavouring / herbs / etc which are very low in sodium ? It’s hard to find stuff to add to various dishes such as fish , chicken etc . 

It sounds boring but it's pretty much the basics. I try and avoid using any ready made sauce and stick to garlic, peppers, chillies and other spices to use with pasta, fish or chicken. Also drastically reducing red meat consumption. Try and avoid processed food as well.

You can also add regular exercise and take fish oil supplements as they help, along of course with bananas and fresh fruit.

Gorgiewave

Unprocessed is usually lower in salt than processed. Herbs, pepper and spices are low in sodium.

Potassium negates the effect of sodium (sodium helps take water out of cells into the bloodstream, hence increasing the volume of blood and the pressure it exerts on arteries and veins; potassium helps get water out of the bloodstream and into cells, i.e., lowering the volume of blood). Bananas have a lot of sodium. You can also get potassium supplements.

Edited by Gorgiewave

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

It sounds boring but it's pretty much the basics. I try and avoid using any ready made sauce and stick to garlic, peppers, chillies and other spices to use with pasta, fish or chicken. Also drastically reducing red meat consumption. Try and avoid processed food as well.

You can also add regular exercise and take fish oil supplements as they help, along of course with bananas and fresh fruit.

Cheers that’s what I’ve basically been doing . I thought red meats were ok like steak ? Pork etc . I just am finding my dishes quite dry so trying to flavour them . 

milky_26
8 minutes ago, Gorgiewave said:

Unprocessed is usually lower in salt than processed. Herbs, pepper and spices are low in sodium.

Potassium negates the effect of sodium (sodium helps take water out of cells into the bloodstream, hence increasing the volume of blood and the pressure it exerts on arteries and veins; potassium helps get water out of the bloodstream and into cells, i.e., lowering the volume of blood). Bananas have a lot of sodium. You can also get potassium supplements.

bananas are high in potassium and low in sodium

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Yes that’s what I thought . 

Gorgiewave
2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Pardon, that's what I meant.

JudyJudyJudy

I have a meeting on Monday with a nutritionist. I had to complete a 5 days food and drinks diary and she has all my blood test results too so it’ll be interesting what she advises / recommends . 

henrysmithsgloves

I have a meeting on Monday with a nutritionist. I had to complete a 5 days food and drinks diary and she has all my blood test results too so it’ll be interesting what she advises / recommends . 

😂

th-616287907.jpg

JudyJudyJudy

These are meant to be low salt crisps ? But have high carbs ? Are they healthy ? Still tryin to understand  the labels 

IMG_7804.jpeg

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Wee Mikey said:

Surely a wee glass o' red wine would be the very dab?

🍷

In moderation, of course.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/medical/ask-the-experts/red-wine-and-your-heart

Tastes like vinegar ! 😦though might be persuaded to have a drink or 2 at POTYA 😎

JudyJudyJudy
21 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

😂

th-616287907.jpg

I’m trying to be optimistic 😳

Roxy Hearts
41 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Hi guys 

I've got high blood pressure Triple J. I'm on Candesarten and Amlodopine. I try to eat veg and fruit as part of a balanced diet but still love and eat all types of food. I drink as much as I always have too. 

My recent blood pressure reading was normal. I think plenty of exercise helps, which I should do more of! As was with most things, it depends on your own body.

Stay off political forums if possible 🤣

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Roxy Hearts said:

Now that’s so true . 

JudyJudyJudy

I've got high blood pressure Triple J. I'm on Candesarten and Amlodopine. I try to eat veg and fruit as part of a balanced diet but still love and eat all types of food. I drink as much as I always have too. 

My recent blood pressure reading was normal. I think plenty of exercise helps, which I should do more of! As was with most things, it depends on your own body.

I’ve hardly had a drink in the last few months . My diet was always not too bad but now it’s really streamlined . Yes as you say everyone’s body is different . I walk a lot and go to gym too . So generally doing the right things plus I still have “ cheat “ days when I go for a meal or restaurant . What’s the point of life if you can’t have some pleasures ? 

Roxy Hearts

I’ve hardly had a drink in the last few months . My diet was always not too bad but now it’s really streamlined . Yes as you say everyone’s body is different . I walk a lot and go to gym too . So generally doing the right things plus I still have “ cheat “ days when I go for a meal or restaurant . What’s the point of life if you can’t have some pleasures ? 

Are you on medication?

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Are you on medication?

Yes almopodine too . At one point my bp was at 214/114 !!! 

Roxy Hearts
Just now, JudyJudyJudy said:

How on earth did it get that high? Hearts get beat? 🤪

the posh bit
30 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

These are meant to be low salt crisps ? But have high carbs ? Are they healthy ? Still tryin to understand  the labels 

IMG_7804.jpeg

Why don't you just wait until Monday and then ask your nutritionist what crisps she recommends? 😁

Edited by the posh bit

JudyJudyJudy

I had a blood pressure monitor at home to take readings for a week from GP the readings were creeping up each day and after a particularly stressful day at work , well that reading happened later and I ended up in hospital . It started to go down to 190/110 but still crazy . Anyway it certainly feels more settled but still getting headaches . Might be side effect of the med ? I’m averaging 140/80 

JudyJudyJudy

I’ve had those. Crisps before bp issues ! No doubt she won’t approve 😳

Malinga the Swinga
4 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I had a blood pressure monitor at home to take readings for a week from GP the readings were creeping up each day and after a particularly stressful day at work , well that reading happened later and I ended up in hospital . It started to go down to 190/110 but still crazy . Anyway it certainly feels more settled but still getting headaches . Might be side effect of the med ? I’m averaging 140/80 

Some days I am at 120 or 130 but if I wait till I'm at work and speaking with management, it gets up to 150 odds. Not as high as yourself but I'm watching it carefully.

Also have cut out crisps and all fizzy juice.

You need your heat days though or else it will be existing and not living.

Might head to doctors to see if they can recommend something, well something other than shooting bosses.

JudyJudyJudy
11 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

No sure . Culmination of things , 

Roxy Hearts
1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

My wife had headaches with high blood pressure and was hospitalised. She had low sodium and it appeared she drank too much water and didn't take enough salt.

She was recently diagnosed with an under active thyroid and now on medication for that. Maybe worth checking sodium/salt intake and thyroid.

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

Some days I am at 120 or 130 but if I wait till I'm at work and speaking with management, it gets up to 150 odds. Not as high as yourself but I'm watching it carefully.

Also have cut out crisps and all fizzy juice.

You need your heat days though or else it will be existing and not living.

Might head to doctors to see if they can recommend something, well something other than shooting bosses.

Def was work issues which peaked my BP too ! No way it wasn’t a contributory factor that day . It’s a difficult one as we all need some level of stress in life ? It’s normal . 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Maybe worth checking sodium/salt intake and thyroid.

Def will . I’ve been looking into that . Is that hypothyroidism? GP won’t rest thyroid . Might need to do it private . It’s around £70 but worth it . Actually you’re making me think ! ( dangerous I know ) im hardly gettin any salt now .  

Roxy Hearts
5 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Def will . I’ve been looking into that . Is that hypothyroidism? GP won’t rest thyroid . Might need to do it private . It’s around £70 but worth it . Actually you’re making me think ! ( dangerous I know ) im hardly gettin any salt now .  

Don't mess about with your health. Get it done! £70 is worth it. 

Edited by Roxy Hearts

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Don't mess about with your health. Get it done! £70 is worth it. 

I will ! 👍👍

Ulysses
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

A nutritionist?  Or a dietitian?

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

A nutritionist?  Or a dietitian?

Nutritional therapist 

Ulysses
8 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Nutritional therapist 

Privately or NHS?  I get the heebie-jeebies at the sound of the word "nutritionist"

Konrad von Carstein

Candesarten, Amlopedene and just had Benzo something or other added...BP was raised at my last BP check up.

Follow up next week.

When it was diagnosed years ago I was hoyed up to the Western same day 

It sounds like you are doing all the right things J3 :)

Best wishes KvC x

highlandjambo3

I do overnight oats 3-4 times a week.  Pretty boring I know.  Just look it up, there are lots of ways to jazz up the oats.

davemclaren
11 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Bloody hell, that's high. 

westbow
12 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Hi guys 

I had high blood pressure but managed to bring down the systolic to normal (120) but the diastolic is stubborn at 90. I cut out caffeine and only have a glass or two of wine at the weekend. Salt is in all prepared food, as is sugar so I invested in better cookware to prepare food from scratch. You still need some salt but add what you consider to be safe. Soups for example are just gross hot watery vegetables without a bit of salt. 
I tend to use fresh limes and lemons with a lot of meals or vinegar. Garlic and ginger grated helpsz
My blood pressure was due to a sleep disorder so you may want to get that checked too.

JudyJudyJudy
5 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Have you considered Huel? Surprisingly tasty.

Not heard of it but ill look it up. Thanks 

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Candesarten, Amlopedene and just had Benzo something or other added...BP was raised at my last BP check up.

Follow up next week.

When it was diagnosed years ago I was hoyed up to the Western same day 

It sounds like you are doing all the right things J3 :)

Best wishes KvC x

Thanks KvC . Yes im trying my best but its  hard slog and its got me down. Felts quite depressed lately tbh knowing you have to rely on meds to probably keep you alive. I suppose old age does no come itself as the saying goes. :) 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Bloody hell, that's high. 

Well I didnt really know much about BP until i had had the check at the surgery and as i said that was 157.97 but that reading was crazy. Since then ive read that some people can have readings into 240/110 range and thats a hyper emergency state. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, westbow said:

I had high blood pressure but managed to bring down the systolic to normal (120) but the diastolic is stubborn at 90. I cut out caffeine and only have a glass or two of wine at the weekend. Salt is in all prepared food, as is sugar so I invested in better cookware to prepare food from scratch. You still need some salt but add what you consider to be safe. Soups for example are just gross hot watery vegetables without a bit of salt. 
I tend to use fresh limes and lemons with a lot of meals or vinegar. Garlic and ginger grated helpsz
My blood pressure was due to a sleep disorder so you may want to get that checked too.

Thanks for this advance about salt as i have totally cut it out my diet. Ill start adding safe amounts to dishes etc. I am aware that we need a certain level each day. You are right regarding foods not tasting that great without it. I also use fresh lemons and limes and mix it was salads like spinach and garlic ., parsley etc and i add some vinegar. olive oil and mustard and you get a really tasty dressing. Sometimes add a wee bit honey too . depending on what i am eating.  Yes ive also been reading HBP may be the symptom of another underlying health condition and I def think I have sleep apnea but GP wont entertain this as yet. Ill need to push for this being tested. 

Konrad von Carstein
30 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Thanks for this advance about salt as i have totally cut it out my diet. Ill start adding safe amounts to dishes etc. I am aware that we need a certain level each day. You are right regarding foods not tasting that great without it. I also use fresh lemons and limes and mix it was salads like spinach and garlic ., parsley etc and i add some vinegar. olive oil and mustard and you get a really tasty dressing. Sometimes add a wee bit honey too . depending on what i am eating.  Yes ive also been reading HBP may be the symptom of another underlying health condition and I def think I have sleep apnea but GP wont entertain this as yet. Ill need to push for this being tested. 

Do you snore heavily, or woken up choking and coughing? 

If either of both are occurring, get the GP telt!

One of Mrs KvC's uncles died years ago as a direct result of SA.

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Do you snore heavily, or woken up choking and coughing? 

I dont know as im sleeping lol.  No seriously apparently i do snore. And ive woke up at times with breathing issues. What compounds this is that I have chronin rhinitis so my nose goes through times of flare up with that and my breathing is stifled. I will talk to GP about that . however i sometimes feel they cant be bothered and that they think im a hypochrondriac just because I mention possiblities of any diseases or illneses. Surely they should be happy that a patient is clued about about their health issues and it should be a  2 way dialogue? 

Armageddon
On 22/03/2024 at 22:26, JudyJudyJudy said:

I’ll bet “Lay off the sausage” will feature 😂

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Armageddon said:

1 minute ago, Armageddon said:

IMG_1533.gif

tightrope
On 22/03/2024 at 22:21, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes that’s what I thought . 

Bananas are a no if on ace inhibitors for HBP. So be carefull.

flogel41
2 hours ago, tightrope said:

Thanks for posting this, I did not know that and often have bananas for breakfast. 

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, tightrope said:

They also spike pre diabetes 

JudyJudyJudy
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, tightrope said:

They also spike pre diabetes 

however this article says they are ok , ? I am getting mixed messages online about it ?

https://www.eatingwell.com/article/8078393/do-bananas-lower-blood-pressure/#:~:text=Are bananas OK if you,manage sodium intake as well.

Edited by JudyJudyJudy