Edinburgh Council's 60m budget headache

Spellczech

frankblack
1 hour ago, Bender said:

Plenty of van leasing companies out there. If you're genuinely that worried about how many jobs you're going to miss out on because you drive an old banger that pollutes the air, go out and find one.

You are living in cloud cuckoo land with the Scottish Greens.  Complete lack of empathy for working people.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Spellczech

• il Duce McTarkin

• Seymour M Hersh

Don Dan
On 19/03/2024 at 09:04, JudyJudyJudy said:

I got the letter yesterday . Mine has went up £3 a month . 

I’m broke now ours went up £8 per month. 

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

You are living in cloud cuckoo land with the Scottish Greens.  Complete lack of empathy for working people.

I'm not sure understanding what the LEZ is actually for has to do with a lack of empathy for working people. Petrol cars registered after 1st January 2006 will meet the standard. How much of Edinburghs traffic do you believe was registered more than 18 years ago?

The Hogfather

Frank spewing because he can't drive into town to do some jobs in his motor.

del-boy-car-2021.jpg

Spellczech
20 hours ago, Gundermann said:

:wtfvlad:

What do you think? Think a bit...Subsidised nursery care, taxis to school for truants, free tuition fees for tertiary education.

As someone without children a lot of my tax pays for other people's kids to be educated.

frankblack
42 minutes ago, Bender said:

I'm not sure understanding what the LEZ is actually for has to do with a lack of empathy for working people. Petrol cars registered after 1st January 2006 will meet the standard. How much of Edinburghs traffic do you believe was registered more than 18 years ago?

Total bollocks and deflection over wanting working class people to lose their income. 

Far more vehicles are excluded than you include.

frankblack
41 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

Frank spewing because he can't drive into town to do some jobs in his motor.

del-boy-car-2021.jpg

🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

I take the bus into work pal and use the car to transport family.

Gundermann
22 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

What do you think? Think a bit...Subsidised nursery care, taxis to school for truants, free tuition fees for tertiary education.

As someone without children a lot of my tax pays for other people's kids to be educated.

Parents do pay for their kids.

Do you think ring fencing all tax money to its users will save money? How many more civil servants do you want to employ? I'd also wager that kids/ future adults/ parents keep you in a job or looked after. I take my kids to Tynecastle when I can as do hundreds of others. Without us, the club would be poorer. And that's just one tiny part of our society. 

Selfish Tory barsteward of the year award.

Edited by Gundermann

Cranston

It would be a nice touch if those in the public sector earning over 100k a year agreed to half their vastly over inflated salaries. Get down with us plebs, show some much needed solidarity.

3 hours ago, frankblack said:

Total bollocks and deflection over wanting working class people to lose their income. 

Far more vehicles are excluded than you include.

It's good to see you're not losing your composure over this trivial matter.

How much of Edinburghs traffic is made up of petrol cars/vans registered before January 2006? Surely you have some data to back up the claims of the fictitious tradesmen you're worried about.

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 22.31.05.png

Edited by Bender

Spellczech
4 hours ago, Gundermann said:

Parents do pay for their kids.

Do you think ring fencing all tax money to its users will save money? How many more civil servants do you want to employ? I'd also wager that kids/ future adults/ parents keep you in a job or looked after. I take my kids to Tynecastle when I can as do hundreds of others. Without us, the club would be poorer. And that's just one tiny part of our society. 

Selfish Tory barsteward of the year award.

What are you ranting about? I'd respond but I have no idea where to start...

Cranston

True democracy would be the power for the citizens to entirely remove failing councils, and give them no more than three months notice and wages. Vastly inflated salaries and perks obviously don't work, they ignore their core responsibilities and become God like in their own mind of course.

i wish jj was my dad
9 hours ago, Cranston said:

It would be a nice touch if those in the public sector earning over 100k a year agreed to half their vastly over inflated salaries. Get down with us plebs, show some much needed solidarity.

If everybody in the private sector did the same we could have a  communist's utopia? 

The country is well on its arse but there is still enough money in the economy to improve services if it were to be distributed a little more evenly. 

Gundermann
9 hours ago, Spellczech said:

What are you ranting about? I'd respond but I have no idea where to start...

That much was obvious several posts ago. Maybe go back and read them when you sober up.

JudyJudyJudy
8 hours ago, Cranston said:

True democracy would be the power for the citizens to entirely remove failing councils, and give them no more than three months notice and wages. Vastly inflated salaries and perks obviously don't work, they ignore their core responsibilities and become God like in their own mind of course.

It could been worse . It could been an SNP led council . Only time in my life I’ve voted Tory. Was in the council elections to oust them in a tactical vote and it worked .

il Duce McTarkin
2 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

That much was obvious several posts ago. Maybe go back and read them when you sober up.

Sneering at alcohol problems isn't a good look, bud.

Gundermann
Just now, il Duce McTarkin said:

Sneering at alcohol problems isn't a good look, bud.

You obviously know more than me, then.

il Duce McTarkin
13 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

You obviously know more than me, then.

Most of the forum know more than you about most things, tbf, but in the sanctimonious bellend olympics, you'd be in contention for at least a silver medal.

Gundermann
8 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Most of the forum know more than you about most things, tbf, but in the sanctimonious bellend olympics, you'd be in contention for at least a silver medal.

Have a good day. Bud.

il Duce McTarkin
9 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

Have a good day. Bud.

You too, bud. I'll be busy occupying Edinburgh. No rest for the wicked.

JudyJudyJudy
22 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

IMG_1484.jpeg

19 hours ago, Bender said:

Then don't bring your car into the city centre. It's pretty simple when you consider just how good our public transport network is.

As for trades people, I'm sure they'd find a way to get themselves a vehicle that was less than 10 years old. People are quite adaptable when they want to be.

Most trades people's vans will be compliant. Low emissions zones are about the people who live in them anyway, not people who don't but who want to drive about in it. If you can't afford to work somewhere, you can't afford to work there...it's quite simple really.

Where I do take umbrage with it is how it's been defined. You can have a vehicle that only attracts £30 per annum vehicle emissions tax, and has a high mpg but still have to pay ULEZ fees. They're targeting those less well off imo.

New Town Loafer
On 19/03/2024 at 22:04, Malinga the Swinga said:

Maybe add 

Stop sending foreign aid when we have problems at home.

Start charging students council tax. They use facilities same as everyone else.

Extend school day making it 8.30 till 5pm, 5 days a week. 

Give teachers 6 weeks off a year, same as most other occupations.

Review public sector pensions. 

Stop free prescriptions.

Extend support for families with autistic and special needs children. They deserve it.

Conversely, everyone adult who can work must work.

Bring public sector into 21st century and make them work for living. They can't do job, get rid of them. Too many of them have job for life and would never cope in private sector.

Bring utilities back under public control. In return for this, minimum service must always be maintained so unions can't hold country to ransom as per 1970's.

Stop extending tram world in Edinburgh. They're a drain on everything and every business.

Pursue every single person who owes money from poll tax. These people expect services and used protests as a means of getting something for nothing.

Simplify tax laws to dissuade people/business from evading tax.

Any person who holds elected position and then commits fraud should be immediately sacked, jailed and never allowed to hold office again.

Any business owner who commits fraud should be jailed and receive a lifetime ban from running another business.

Cyclists should be licensed and insured.

Anyone dropping litter should be made to do community service.

Bring back National Service.

Good post.

A few years ago my road was fully resurfaced; stripped right down to the bare bones and re-laid in its entirety. Took months to finish the job.

However, the road surface material used must have been cheap shite, as the road very quickly developed potholes.

Over the last couple of years all the potholes have linked up and the road is a complete mess.

Today, a work crew arrived on site equipped with a tipper truck, some wheelbarrows and wee diddy road roller.

Warm tarmac was shovelled into the wheelbarrows, dumped into the holes then run over the the roller. Everybody back in the van and offski again. About two hours from start to finish.

:vrface: 
This pish is only going to last a matter of weeks before crumbling away to nothing again.
Constantly spending money on shite patch-jobs like this is a false economy, it's a sticking plaster so they can pretend they've "done that job" even though they know fine well they'll have to do it again next year.

il Duce McTarkin
25 minutes ago, Cade said:

A few years ago my road was fully resurfaced; stripped right down to the bare bones and re-laid in its entirety. Took months to finish the job.

However, the road surface material used must have been cheap shite, as the road very quickly developed potholes.

Over the last couple of years all the potholes have linked up and the road is a complete mess.

Today, a work crew arrived on site equipped with a tipper truck, some wheelbarrows and wee diddy road roller.

Warm tarmac was shovelled into the wheelbarrows, dumped into the holes then run over the the roller. Everybody back in the van and offski again. About two hours from start to finish.

This pish is only going to last a matter of weeks before crumbling away to nothing again.
Constantly spending money on shite patch-jobs like this is a false economy, it's a sticking plaster so they can pretend they've "done that job" even though they know fine well they'll have to do it again next year.

Are you sure it was warm tarmac? My mates in the business tell me that they're supplied with cold tar, and despite their proteststion that it's shite and won't last 5 minutes, they're instructed to pish with the cock that they've got. It's a farce.

10 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Are you sure it was warm tarmac? My mates in the business tell me that they're supplied with cold tar, and despite their proteststion that it's shite and won't last 5 minutes, they're instructed to pish with the cock that they've got. It's a farce.

It was steaming when it came off the back of the tipper truck. 

il Duce McTarkin
2 minutes ago, Cade said:

It was steaming when it came off the back of the tipper truck. 

Righto. Luck you, looks like you got the not-so-shite stuff. 🤣

New Town Loafer
51 minutes ago, Cade said:

My dad lives in Dubai and left Edinburgh 25 odd years ago. 

Every time he comes back he is absolutely shocked at the state of basic facilities, roads, pavements etc. it’s absolutely embarrassing.

Unpopular opinion, but it would take a dictatorship to solve many of Scotland and the U.K.’s ills. Democracy is weak and ineffectual.

Dawnrazor
3 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

Every time he comes back he is absolutely shocked at the state of basic facilities, roads, pavements etc. it’s absolutely embarrassing.

Unpopular opinion, but it would take a dictatorship to solve many of Scotland and the U.K.’s ills. Democracy is weak and ineffectual.

To be fair to her, Sturgeon did try.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

Sadly most things in the UK are all short term fixes.

There never seems to be a long term solution for anything. 

New Town Loafer
1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

To be fair to her, Sturgeon did try.

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Sadly most things in the UK are all short term fixes.

There never seems to be a long term solution for anything. 

Vote New Town Loafer, chaps.

:greggy:

jack D and coke
4 hours ago, New Town Loafer said:

Good post.

For real?? It’s like something out Victorian times ffs! 

The Real Maroonblood
25 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

Vote New Town Loafer, chaps.

:greggy:

:lol:

The Real Maroonblood
14 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

For real?? It’s like something out Victorian times ffs! 

I wouldn’t expect anything less from the said poster.

jack D and coke
Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

I wouldn’t expect anything less from the said poster.

Ridiculous post eh :lol: 

Honestly. 

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, New Town Loafer said:

I go away to work for a couple of months and I'm shocked at how much things have deteriorated since I've been gone. Edinburgh is a shithole.

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Ridiculous post eh :lol: 

Honestly. 

Reds-Mogg would be proud.

Seymour M Hersh

I was told today that the 2 miles of "cycle track" created from Roseburn to St Andrew Square cost £24 million! If true (and I've no reason to disbelieve the source) that is scandalous. No wonder they are short of money. 

Cranston
3 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I was told today that the 2 miles of "cycle track" created from Roseburn to St Andrew Square cost £24 million! If true (and I've no reason to disbelieve the source) that is scandalous. No wonder they are short of money. 

Its not their money they're running short of. Its our plebs money they're spewing out on minority 'progressive' projects. Its us that'll have to pay for it, with ever higher taxes, and punitive car charging hikes, bus gate fines, parking fines etc etc etc. Someones got to pay for their massive salaries and perks, us the plebs.

See the council have announced there at 14,000 pot holes in Edinburgh and by not fixing them it's costing the council £70k a year in paying out for damage to cars

Couple of years ago I was staying in Brentford for work, road at the hotel was being resurfaced and they must have managed 3/400 yards overnight yet up here it takes 3 weeks to re-do a pothole 

Jim_Duncan
15 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Don't they get central government money as a reward for each mile of cycle lane added? Something about the whole thing stinks, either way. 

15 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Told by whom? That sounds extremely unlikely.

Jim_Duncan
13 minutes ago, Bender said:

Told by whom? That sounds extremely unlikely.

Scotsman suggested it was £19,000,000.

Wonder if they measure how much pollution is created by the construction of these projects? Or do works turn up at these places riding bikes and carry all their equipment on the back of magical rainbow unicorns? Not to mention the traffic congestion (and consequent pollution) created by road closures, diversions and other inconveniences for other road users.

davemclaren
On 22/03/2024 at 10:42, Jim_Duncan said:

Don't they get central government money as a reward for each mile of cycle lane added? Something about the whole thing stinks, either way. 

On 22/03/2024 at 11:20, Jim_Duncan said:

Scotsman suggested it was £19,000,000.

Wonder if they measure how much pollution is created by the construction of these projects? Or do works turn up at these places riding bikes and carry all their equipment on the back of magical rainbow unicorns? Not to mention the traffic congestion (and consequent pollution) created by road closures, diversions and other inconveniences for other road users.

Not a cyclist then. 😄

Seymour M Hersh
5 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Interesting the bus they show is responsible for churning up the roads more than any other vehicle. 

The Mighty Thor
7 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Interesting the bus they show is responsible for churning up the roads more than any other vehicle. 

Surprised at that assertion. 

There are far heavier fixed and articulated vehicles on the roads

Stuart Lyon
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Surprised at that assertion. 

There are far heavier fixed and articulated vehicles on the roads

Agreed but the effect of the buses braking at stops causes ruts in the tarmac. Some are worse than others and I suppose that is dependent on the num bar of buses using the stop.

Jim_Duncan
16 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Not a cyclist then. 😄

Bizarrely, I do cycle in Edinburgh fairly regularly. I find most cyclists to be okay, as are most drivers. The ones who can’t bring themselves to follow a few simple rules are arseholes. 

Had a confrontation with ones of those delivery riders in Manchester the other night. He was bombing along the pavement near Oxford Road station and shouted at me to get out the way. Apparently his favoured moniker isn’t ‘****ing clown’, which is disappointing given how well it suited him.