Edinburgh Council's 60m budget headache

Spellczech

Spellczech

Bet the fools wish they hadn't built all those cycle lanes with bollards now...

So what would you advise to fix it?

Starter for 10: Close libraries - nobody reads books anymore, so 20th century. Repurpose or sell the buildings. Donate the stock to McDonalds.

Edited by Spellczech

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Spellczech

• il Duce McTarkin

• Seymour M Hersh

Sooperstar
4 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Bet the fools wish they hadn't built all those cycle lanes with bollards now...

So what would you advise to fix it?

Starter for 10: Close libraries - nobody reads books anymore, so 20th century. Repurpose or sell the buildings. Donate the stock to McDonalds.

I'm pretty sure there are still more people who read physical books than read ebooks or listen to audio books. 

JudyJudyJudy

Libraries offer a variety of services to the local communities . They should not be closed at all . 

ArcticJambo

Well I'm all for the new improved speed cubes on Duddingston Road. :thumbsup:  There used to be just two sets where you really had to slow down (in front of St Johns, think they forget that Duddy Primary was there lol) but now that they've improved the others from Brighton Place to Milton Road, and in doing so they seem to have removed the bollards with big plastic stand to do the work, I can now just chicane round them on the inside.

:sweeet:

Doubt it will solve the problem but well done to CeC for hiring contractors who dont give af, or the DoT engineers who set up the contract.

Tommy Brown

Follow West Lothian's route, close swimming pools. Sell the land (Almondvale) to build a new McDonald's and Costa.

Broxburn Pool, spend up £200 to £250k to bulldoze it to make it a more viable purchase.

Charge households £50 pa to empty garden waste, when the bin is already being emptied of food waste.

I do understand cuts need to be made along the lines but, closing pools should be well down that list.

AlimOzturk

They will do the usual, send the parking wardens out by force and up the amount they charge motorists in parking fines and bud lane fines. They will be raking it in with LEZ fines as well now. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

Victorian

Every local authority in the UK is in the grip of austerity on steroids as a downstream effect of a ****ed national economy.  That's all there is to it.

Mikey1874
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Every local authority in the UK is in the grip of austerity on steroids as a downstream effect of a ****ed national economy.  That's all there is to it.

Not according to the SNP

Although

Edited by Mikey1874

Victorian

UK wide,  all parties involved will indulge in all manner of localised blame games.  But the source is the same.  A per capita economic landscape in freefall.  It's seriously ****ed.  A brutal reckoning will eventually come.  Councils are already starting to cut into the essential services budgets.  Adult social care,  etc.  The result will not be pretty.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Der Kaiser said:

New teacher pay deal for April needs to be the priority........

You deserve more holidays as well.

Spellczech
2 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

I'm pretty sure there are still more people who read physical books than read ebooks or listen to audio books. 

From libraries?

Just now, Spellczech said:

From libraries?

When I worked for city of Edinburgh libraries there were audio books to borrow. Since then I guess that ebooks will be available. Certainly you can access online versions of magazines etc

But not everyone is digitally literate, so physical access is still very important.

One service we did was for elderly citizens who couldn't really get out so we would select books/audio books for them based on their preferences and then they'd be delivered to them.

For a lot of folk living in sheltered housing/homes, these little things made them happy.

I'm biased, funnily enough, but libraries are a mark of a civilised society imo. In my experience we were a community hub. More to your local library than just(!) books.

Sooperstar
7 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

From libraries?

I dunno, but you said 'nobody reads books anymore' and I just don't think that's true. 

Spellczech
2 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I dunno, but you said 'nobody reads books anymore' and I just don't think that's true. 

Context. You cannot just select one phrase from a paragraph and take issue with it...

been here before

If only @Mikey1874 had a link he could post.

Maybe the council could tax him for every link he posts, libraries stay open, budget deficit is slashed and a couple of new Primary schools are paid for.

Libraries do far more than book borrowing these days.

Most of them do free internet, IT education classes, literacy classes, they're almost a citizens advice bureaus these days as well as offering lots of social groups.

Whack parking charges up.

Whack business rates up for larger businesses.

Impose a tourist tax. Nobody is cancelling a holiday to Edinburgh because they're paying an extra one/five/ten quid a day on top of their budget.

Impose a land tax. Extra taxes for empty land which has planning permission but not being built on. Build the houses or sell up.

Impose punitive council tax charges for empty properties.

Increase council tax for the upper bands.

Ban Air BnB.
Impose private rental caps.

Impose some kind of levy on the Universities.

Take full control over the Festival and Christmas market; stops the money being hoarded away by private concerns, have it all flow into the Council coffers instead.

Fast food companies pay an extra surcharge for refuse collection.

Stop subsiding the feckin trams. They either stand on their own or they go bust. Sunk cost fallacy is a thing.

Sack almost all upper and middle management in the Council itself.

Massive road patching effort (yes patches are shite and don't last long and need re-doing not long after but the roads are in crisis so a short term fix is better than nothing and we certainly can't afford total re-surfacing).

Increased frequency of refuse collections, especially in the city centre.

Increased frequency of street cleaning.

Re-open public toilets.

Get the grass cut, verges sorted and trees properly maintained. City parks too.
Tow away the Gold Bros cars and crush them next time they're illegally parked, then shut down all their shitey shops in the Old Town, citing uncompetitive business practices.

Build a wall around Pennywell/Pilton/Drylaw/Muirhouse and invite the RAF to use it as a live fire bombing range. 

manaliveits105

that's what you get with a snp government though 

get them oot ! 

i wish jj was my dad

The bottom line is that freezing council tax when inflation is pushing up costs and public finance is on its arse has an inevitable ending. If you want services you have to pay for them. 

John Findlay

Ah, politicians. Rather play party politics, as in blaming each other, than trying to help the people who voted them in, in the first place. I guess the bottom line truth is.

We only have ourselves to blame.

Lord Montpelier
8 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Ever wondered why?

th-231958401.jpg

This is inaccurate

It's missing several Diversity and Inclusion officers. 

indianajones
9 hours ago, Victorian said:

It's what happens when you shut down a country for a couple of years. 

Libertarian
11 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

I think that spellczech was being facetious 

Libertarian
8 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Brilliant. Thanks for posting this. You have brightend up my day 

Jim_Duncan
3 minutes ago, Libertarian said:

Brilliant. Thanks for posting this. You have brightend up my day 

We need more Ron Swansons. 

Libertarian
6 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

We need more Ron Swansons. 

👍👍👍

il Duce McTarkin
9 hours ago, Boris said:

I'm biased, funnily enough, but libraries are a mark of a civilised society imo. 

:spoton:

henrysmithsgloves
1 hour ago, Lord Montpelier said:

This is inaccurate

It's missing several Diversity and Inclusion officers. 

🤣🤣

Buy up buildings of public interest as a longer term strategy and make money from them them. Blackpool Council do this and seem to be one of the few councils bucking the trend.

Equally, I've just had notification of a council tax rise and quite honestly wouldn't be opposed to them cutting around 50% of what they list as it covering.

Edited by Taffin

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Buy up buildings of public interest as a longer term strategy and make money from them them. Blackpool Council do this and seem to be one of the few councils bucking the trend.

Equally, I've just had notification of a council tax rise and quite honestly wouldn't be opposed to them cutting around 50% of what they list as it covering.

I got the letter yesterday . Mine has went up £3 a month . 

JudyJudyJudy

Just echoing the support for libraries again . One of my neices used to take her wee ones to them as they also did story telling and “ Rymme time “ kids loved it . They also do community classes and let out rooms etc to other groups who may need them . I for one still read books 📕 can’t abide reading stuff on tablets etc . Libraries formed an important part of my childhood . I have me access to learning and I felt it was a safe space too . 

The reality is that the cost of social care and inflation-linked pensions are what are causing budgetary pressures, along with cuts in central government funding.

Sadly, the council don't appear keen to make any fundamental changes to the way they operate, so it'll be frontline services which get cut as usual.

il Duce McTarkin
10 hours ago, Cade said:

Libraries do far more than book borrowing these days.

Most of them do free internet, IT education classes, literacy classes, they're almost a citizens advice bureaus these days as well as offering lots of social groups.

Whack parking charges up.

Whack business rates up for larger businesses.

Impose a tourist tax. Nobody is cancelling a holiday to Edinburgh because they're paying an extra one/five/ten quid a day on top of their budget.

Impose a land tax. Extra taxes for empty land which has planning permission but not being built on. Build the houses or sell up.

Impose punitive council tax charges for empty properties.

Increase council tax for the upper bands.

Ban Air BnB.
Impose private rental caps.

Impose some kind of levy on the Universities.

Take full control over the Festival and Christmas market; stops the money being hoarded away by private concerns, have it all flow into the Council coffers instead.

Fast food companies pay an extra surcharge for refuse collection.

Stop subsiding the feckin trams. They either stand on their own or they go bust. Sunk cost fallacy is a thing.

Sack almost all upper and middle management in the Council itself.

Massive road patching effort (yes patches are shite and don't last long and need re-doing not long after but the roads are in crisis so a short term fix is better than nothing and we certainly can't afford total re-surfacing).

Increased frequency of refuse collections, especially in the city centre.

Increased frequency of street cleaning.

Re-open public toilets.

Get the grass cut, verges sorted and trees properly maintained. City parks too.
Tow away the Gold Bros cars and crush them next time they're illegally parked, then shut down all their shitey shops in the Old Town, citing uncompetitive business practices.

Build a wall around Pennywell/Pilton/Drylaw/Muirhouse and invite the RAF to use it as a live fire bombing range. 

Ever thought about going into local politics, Cade?

You'd need to stop being so much of a ^***, which is a big ask, and the Ukranian high command would need to do without your instruction for a bit, but you've got some solid ideas in there.

If carlsberg did rivals...
12 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

They will do the usual, send the parking wardens out by force and up the amount they charge motorists in parking fines and bud lane fines. They will be raking it in with LEZ fines as well now. 

I think it's June 1st the LEZ kicks in properly, as for parking charges and fines they can quadruple them for me as I don't park in town when the charges are active and I'm not daft enough to park somewhere i shouldn't. Hopefully this keeps my council tax down!