The bizarre Tosh McKinlay game

Shaggy2

Shaggy2

Late 1988 we went to Dens Park with the worst kept secret in Scottish football being that Tosh McKinlay was playing his last game for Dundee prior to signing for Hearts, funnily enough against us. Hearts fans cheered his every touch and sang his name. Tosh proved to be the consummate professional as he set up Dundee’s equaliser that day before going on to become an excellent defender for Hearts.

Not expecting that level of adoration on Saturday but can see Yan Dhanda getting a good reception from the away support (traditionally the drunkest support of the season), should be fun. 

PaddysBar

I remember that game and you’re right. Will be the same on Saturday and after his wind up antics tonight he’ll deserve the cheers. 

Outstanding😂

Spellczech

I don't think I'd be too upset if County beat us this weekend...Would be panic time at Pittodrie

martoon
36 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

Late 1988 we went to Dens Park with the worst kept secret in Scottish football being that Tosh McKinlay was playing his last game for Dundee prior to signing for Hearts, funnily enough against us. Hearts fans cheered his every touch and sang his name. Tosh proved to be the consummate professional as he set up Dundee’s equaliser that day before going on to become an excellent defender for Hearts.

Not expecting that level of adoration on Saturday but can see Yan Dhanda getting a good reception from the away support (traditionally the drunkest support of the season), should be fun. 

The Tosh game crossed my mind tonight. Very strange circumstances but a terrific signing. 

A great week when we also went on to clinch our UEFA QF berth and the return of Robbo.

Benny Klack
7 hours ago, martoon said:

The Tosh game crossed my mind tonight. Very strange circumstances but a terrific signing. 

A great week when we also went on to clinch our UEFA QF berth and the return of Robbo.

That was a terrific week to be a Hearts fan - the Euro run continuing, Tosh signing, Robbo coming back and beating Rangers 2-0 at Tynecastle with Mike Galloway halfing Butcher on the goal line. Brilliant 🤩 

Benny Klack
8 hours ago, PaddysBar said:

I remember that game and you’re right. Will be the same on Saturday and after his wind up antics tonight he’ll deserve the cheers. 

Outstanding😂

I think he would have been given a great reception anyway but after last night and celebrating in front of the Hibs fans he will be very warmly welcomed 😎

tazhearts

I think there is a good chance he won't start against us and maybe won't even be sub.

1971fozzy
11 minutes ago, tazhearts said:

I think there is a good chance he won't start against us and maybe won't even be sub.

I’d be surprised if that was the case

martoon
1 hour ago, Benny Klack said:

That was a terrific week to be a Hearts fan - the Euro run continuing, Tosh signing, Robbo coming back and beating Rangers 2-0 at Tynecastle with Mike Galloway halfing Butcher on the goal line. Brilliant 🤩 

Certainly was, Benny.

Blonde Fergie's clincher at the school end was the icing on the cake.

I’m fascinated by Saturday. Dhanda will want to play a blinder to show off what we’re going to get. If RC beat us, we’ll boo him ( if he scores). However, if he’s garbage we’ll be questioning why we’ve signed a donkey. If he claps the jambos at the end the RC fans will be peed off. Wonder how players manage that one!! 

Shaggy2
2 hours ago, Benny Klack said:

It was Richard Gough but yes, it was a brilliant week. 😀

been here before

Mind how the frothers on here were all raging at Souttar and Der Hun for pulling the same shite a couple of years back?

PapaShango
2 minutes ago, been here before said:

Mind how the frothers on here were all raging at Souttar and Der Hun for pulling the same shite a couple of years back?

One of the differences was that Rangers announced Souttar on a pre-contract in the January, which was disrespectful to Hearts and the players when it was pretty obvious they weren't going to stump up the money. As far as I know Hearts have not said anything official on Dhanda even if it is pretty clear he is coming (even more so after last night)! Hearts done it right with Alan Forrest as we waited until we had played Livi for the last time that season before announcing it. We may get some official announcement on Dhanda next week. 

martoon
29 minutes ago, Carter said:

I enjoyed that.

Cheers for the link.

martoon

I loved Tosh.

He played for Hearts like a lifelong fan would. 

Especially against Hibs.

He still makes my Hearts best XI to this day.

Shaggy2
25 minutes ago, martoon said:

I loved Tosh.

Especially against Hibs.

Totally agree, although Gary Naysmith dethroned him for my own personal lifetime XI 👍

Robbo-Jambo
11 hours ago, Spellczech said:

I don't think I'd be too upset if County beat us this weekend...Would be panic time at Pittodrie

Nah don't get that at all.

Hate seeing us get beat anytime.

Robbo-Jambo
27 minutes ago, martoon said:

I loved Tosh.

Especially against Hibs.

Tosh was a brilliant full back.

He could defend, attack, had it all really.

henrysmithsgloves

:notsure::interehjrling:

Shaggy2
34 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

One of the differences was that Rangers announced Souttar on a pre-contract in the January, which was disrespectful to Hearts and the players when it was pretty obvious they weren't going to stump up the money. As far as I know Hearts have not said anything official on Dhanda even if it is pretty clear he is coming (even more so after last night)! Hearts done it right with Alan Forrest as we waited until we had played Livi for the last time that season before announcing it. We may get some official announcement on Dhanda next week. 

The Tosh McKinlay scenario was pre-Bosman, it was just a badly kept secret. Closer to the Dhanda situation than Souttar because of all that you say re Hearts and Rangers respective behaviour, but a world of difference to both. I can’t think of another player in the pre-Bosman era who played his last game for a club against the team everyone knew he was about to sign for. 

Heartsofgold
11 hours ago, martoon said:

Carlsberg don't do once in a lifetime weeks, but this was one for sure.

martoon
15 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

Totally agree, although Gary Naysmith dethroned him for my own personal lifetime XI 👍

A fair call, Shaggy.

martoon
1 minute ago, Heartsofgold said:

Carlsberg don't do once in a lifetime weeks, but this was one for sure.

Absolutely, bud.

martoon
17 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

He did, RJ.

Well, apart from a right foot. 😊

Watt-Zeefuik

Need a rendition of “Send the Dons Down” to Send in the Clowns.

I’ll get ma coat.

Thomaso
1 hour ago, Carter said:

Enjoyed that 😊

Thomaso
58 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Never got a look in to a Scotland squad when at Hearts. Signed for Celtic and right in to the team!

BigAlim

I remember Ian Black signing very publicly before we got him at the end of the season. Can’t remember how the crowd were with him but he certainly played against us after doing interviews etc.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/hearts/4000614/Hearts-swoop-to-sign-Ian-Black-for-next-season-from-Inverness.html

Edited by BigAlim

Jim_Duncan
2 hours ago, Carter said:

Game would have been abandoned by half time if refereed under current rules. Great watch. 

daveydal
5 hours ago, Benny Klack said:

Pretty certain it was Richard Gough Galloway split in two on goal line?

1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Game would have been abandoned by half time if refereed under current rules. Great watch. 

All teams had players who could handle themselves. Football has changed almost beyond recognition in the intervening 36 years and not necessarily for the better. 

Luckies1874
4 hours ago, Carter said:

Great watch - cheers!

27,000 at Tynie that afternoon

Luckies1874

Something many people forget (or maybe don't even know given the passage of time) was that Tosh Mckinlay played for Dundee on the fateful day at Dens in May 1986! 

On a cheerier note, I always remember 2 goals he scored for Hearts

7.30 in this one

8 mins into this one

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
4 hours ago, Carter said:

Not surprised the over-rated Davie Cooper escaped being booked for a dirty challenge on Henry.

Pans Jambo
14 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Would pi55 me off immensely! County can sook on it!!!

Spellczech
22 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Not surprised the over-rated Davie Cooper escaped being booked for a dirty challenge on Henry.

Did he ever look like a young man? Haha

Always wondered how much silverware we could've won in the late 80s if Rangers had not got all that investment from Murray...?

Shaggy2
1 hour ago, Luckies1874 said:

Something many people forget (or maybe don't even know given the passage of time) was that Tosh Mckinlay played for Dundee on the fateful day at Dens in May 1986! 

On a cheerier note, I always remember 2 goals he scored for Hearts

7.30 in this one

8 mins into this one

I’m sure Tosh went off, Kidd came on. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
41 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Did he ever look like a young man? Haha

Always wondered how much silverware we could've won in the late 80s if Rangers had not got all that investment from Murray...?

He looked ancient, not as ancient as Danny McGrain, though. If I live to be a 100 I will never look as old as Danny McGrain did at 35.

The Hun cheating certainly boosted Cooper's medal total. The only game that Zico didn't have him in his back pocket was the 2-5 game.

Luckies1874
10 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

I’m sure Tosh went off, Kidd came on. 

You are spot on! 

Robbo-Jambo
5 hours ago, martoon said:

He did, RJ.

Well, apart from a right foot. 😊

😅 Very true.

Benny Klack
11 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

It was Richard Gough but yes, it was a brilliant week. 😀

👍

Benny Klack
8 hours ago, daveydal said:

Pretty certain it was Richard Gough Galloway split in two on goal line?

👍

John Findlay
21 hours ago, Spellczech said:

I will be very upset. I want County to take their medicine repeatedly.

Benny Klack
11 hours ago, Carter said:

Thoroughly enjoyed that - thanks. Hadn’t watched it in years.

As much as I love what Tynecastle looks like now, watching this made me pine for the old days. Maybe just getting old and sentimental 🥲

Appreciate he was a dirty bass in that game but watching that made me realise that Walters was a class act on his day - he was a brilliant signing by Rangers.

Also used to love watching Kidd v Cooper back in the day - Kidd was hard as nails 👍

Jim_Duncan
2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I will be very upset. I want County to take their medicine repeatedly.

Thank god there are some Hearts fans left on this forum. 

2 hours ago, Benny Klack said:

Thoroughly enjoyed that - thanks. Hadn’t watched it in years.

As much as I love what Tynecastle looks like now, watching this made me pine for the old days. Maybe just getting old and sentimental 🥲

Appreciate he was a dirty bass in that game but watching that made me realise that Walters was a class act on his day - he was a brilliant signing by Rangers.

Also used to love watching Kidd v Cooper back in the day - Kidd was hard as nails 👍

Walters had the hump that day and was itching for bother. He was a superb player though. That team had a number of good players. So did we though. 

Football was so different back then. I miss the way the game was in that era. The old ground was quite a place. The days of the old crazy corner!