Your top 3 most boring spectator sports…are ?

Angel eyes

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• been here before

• highlandjambo3

• PortyJambo

• Angel eyes

Baseball. It's just Rounders FFS. A kid's sport.

Cricket. Any game that takes five days to play should be banned. Twenty20 is pish too.

Basketball. Team A scores in 4 seconds. Team B scores in 4 seconds. Repeat for an hour. 

Daktari

F1

Cricket

Golf

Horse Racing.

But not darts or snooker, because as anyone with ant sense knows, they're actually sports anyway.....😉

I P Knightley
13 hours ago, Boof said:

Golf, for instance. Never been to an event but I get the feeling you'd either sit by a green all day watching a few shots come in every 15 minutes or you'd stand by a tee and watch 3 tee shots every 15 minutes or you'd follow a 3-some and see, maybe, 210-odd shots over the course of 5+ hours.

However - watch it on TV and you'll see just about every shot, the good shots multiple times, each one commented upon without bias by a highly knowledgeable expert. You'll also get wee snippets of info regarding pin positions and hazards.

Yep - I qualified my response to say it's boring if attending live. 

I've only been to one tournament - at Wentworth - and it involves lots of walking or waiting to see guys hit shots really well but then you've got to move to see what happens next. By the time you've got there, half the crowd has gone with you so you might not have a decent view. 

More frustrating is standing by a fairway while a player sizes up an approach shot (which he inevitably hits really well) but then you hear through the trees a loud roar but have no way of knowing what's just happened. 

On the TV, though, you miss nothing and have a decent view of everything. 

4 hours ago, escobri said:

Test cricket (play all week for a draw)

Rugby Union (Sport for Ruperts & piss drinkers)

Ice hockey (like it but can never see the puck on tv)

It's in my top 3 for watching and I now wonder whether I'm doing it wrong. Next time I'm at a match, I'll order a pint of piss :D.

I can understand why many don't take to rugby as it's become overly complex with lots of decisions being unclear to the spectator - even those of us who know a thing or two about the game, such as the ITV commentators - and the long delays while a scrum gets set and reset. The sport's got a few challenges to overcome if the pro game's to halt its decline. Part of the trouble is that it's run by Ruperts and piss-drinkers who can't see beyond their own little world where other Ruperts and piss-drinkers enjoy the unique characteristics of their sport - the same characteristics that make it inaccessible to many. 

I P Knightley
8 minutes ago, Daktari said:

F1

Cricket

Golf

Horse Racing.

But not darts or snooker, because as anyone with ant sense knows, they're NOT actually sports anyway.....😉

FTFY

Boxing too actually. Too many sports on their own are a bit dull. But maybe if they combined a few?

Boxing + basketball

All roads lead to Gorgie

F1, Basketball and Skiing 

PortyJambo
21 minutes ago, kila said:

Boxing too actually. Too many sports on their own are a bit dull. But maybe if they combined a few?

Boxing + basketball

Synchronised swimming and boxing could be combined....although I think they already do that and call it water polo!

Americana
18 hours ago, Angel eyes said:

F1 , cricket & snooker is there anything worse than they 3 ?

Used to stick the snooker on when I couldnt sleep, no idea how people go to watch it live.

Golf, Snooker, Cricket. Worked in a bookies when I was in my teens for that experience Horse Racing also gets a mention, unless youve had a flutter.

highlandjambo3

1.  Cricket

2.  The other one is that game where they lob a wee hard ball at some sticks (cricket)

3.  The final one is where they stop to drink tea and quit when it rains (cricket) 

highlandjambo3
38 minutes ago, Americana said:

no idea how people go to watch it live.

Not related but on a similar point…..who the f…. goes to watch tipping point, the chase, wheel of fortune *.  Surly you need to queue up, get in early, wear dark clothes etc…….I bet it’s the bingo/cruise ship mob 😁

* insert any of the other numb skulling game shows with a live audience. 

been here before
24 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Not related but on a similar point…..who the f…. goes to watch tipping point, the chase, wheel of fortune *.  Surly you need to queue up, get in early, wear dark clothes etc…….I bet it’s the bingo/cruise ship mob 😁

* insert any of the other numb skulling game shows with a live audience. 

Does Tipping Point, the ultimate show for the quizzing halfwit, or the Chase have an audience? And why would they wear dark clothes?

1 hour ago, superjack said:

Not sure if this is up there with boring sports, but possibly 1 of the more unusual ones.

At the 1908 London Olympics, pistol duelling using wax bullets was an actual event.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_dueling_at_the_Summer_Olympics

That in theory would be a decent thing to watch if they used live prope bullets. Knowing they're inly wax makes it a poor sibling to its potential greatness.

Angel eyes
1 hour ago, Americana said:

Used to stick the snooker on when I couldnt sleep, no idea how people go to watch it live.

Golf, Snooker, Cricket. Worked in a bookies when I was in my teens for that experience Horse Racing also gets a mention, unless youve had a flutter.

My gran in the 70s watched snooker on a black & white tv :berra:

highlandjambo3
24 minutes ago, been here before said:

Does Tipping Point, the ultimate show for the quizzing halfwit, or the Chase have an audience? And why would they wear dark clothes?

Yes there’s muppets in both of them…..the dark clothes are so they don’t stand out on camera during the show…….seems to work no.

been here before
4 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

My gran in the 70s watched snooker on a black & white tv :berra:

So did millions of people.

"Steve is going for the pink ball – and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green."

been here before
4 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Yes there’s muppets in both of them…..the dark clothes are so they don’t stand out on camera during the show…….seems to work no.

A quick google shows that wearing the dark clothes seems to works so well that it means there is no audiences on either The Chase or Tipping Point:

There are on the "Celebrity" versions though.

vegas-voss

F1 , Cricket and long distance running ( 5000m onwards to marathons )

That's purely on watching of course

highlandjambo3
14 minutes ago, been here before said:

A quick google shows that wearing the dark clothes seems to works so well that it means there is no audiences on either The Chase or Tipping Point:

There are on the "Celebrity" versions though.

Ah ok, didn’t know that as I don’t watch either, I just recall hearing people in the background on the odd occasion I’ve scanned through the Chanel’s……still can’t fathom out why people would watch but, I suppose there are celeb chasing geeks out there 😊

highlandjambo3
8 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Long distance running ( 5000m onwards to marathons )

TBH I can see the attraction 😉

IMG_2106.jpeg

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

F1, Cricket and Golf.

And rugby.

:bigyawn:

Golf is definitely a sport you need to play to find some enjoyment in watching, though the likes of the Ryder Cup can appeal more broadly.

Samuel Camazzola

A lot of sports that are deemed 'boring' and less desirable have made efforts to be innovative and try to attract a new viewership. Unfortunately, as an entertainment spectacle, football has rapidly regressed in the last 10-15 years. 

The value for money is not there. The quality on show is rarely there and poor games heavily outweigh good ones. 

Legend Claws
11 hours ago, been here before said:

Team 1 goes down and had a throw... Team 2 goes down and has a throw... Team 1 goes down and had a throw... Team 2 goes down and has a throw... Team 1 goes down and had a throw... Team 2 goes down and has a throw... Team 1 goes down and had a throw... Team 2 goes down and has a throw... Team 1 goes down and had a throw... Team 2 goes down and has a throw... 

...for an hour.

Way more to it than that mate!

been here before
18 minutes ago, Legend Claws said:

Way more to it than that mate!

Ok

Team 1 goes down and had a throw... Team 2 goes down and has a throw... Team 1 goes down and had a throw... Team 2 goes down and has a throw... Team 1 goes down and had a throw... Team 2 goes down and has a throw... Team 1 goes down and had a throw... Team 2 goes down and has a throw... Team 1 goes down and had a throw... Team 2 goes down and has a throw... 

...for an hour and the game finishes 112-110.

Greedy Jambo

I can't get my head around people watching darts, that's a bandwagon i'm not willing to jump on. 

Obviously i don't watch Cricket, i'm Scottish, and i don't watch Rugby, because i'm not a toff. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

Irufushi

Can’t think of 3 . Most boring for me is darts, absolute horse shit. 

Shooter McGavin
9 hours ago, Cade said:

Baseball. It's just Rounders FFS. A kid's sport.

Cricket. Any game that takes five days to play should be banned. Twenty20 is pish too.

Basketball. Team A scores in 4 seconds. Team B scores in 4 seconds. Repeat for an hour. 

In basketball, the fans and commentators go ape shit over slam dunks, and yet they look completely average 😂

Day@theraces
On 13/03/2024 at 20:48, JudyJudyJudy said:

Golf golf and golf

Standing behind the tee box watching one of the bigger hitters is a sight to behold. Was more enjoyable when I was a kid and could wangle my way through o the front though. 

Jim_Duncan
57 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Can’t think of 3 . Most boring for me is darts, absolute horse shit. 

I think the throwing of the darts plays second fiddle to aftershave and perfume drenched alcoholics trying to outdo each other in being loud and daft. That’s the real point. 

leginten

I used to have an enormous capacity for watching all sorts of sports on TV that I now regard as pretty tedious. They’ve all been mentioned - American football, snooker, basketball, anything with cars and motor bikes.

Snooker does serve some kind of purpose in acting as decent preparation for the grave, I think.

Nucky Thompson

I don't dislike any sports and would give any a chance.

I'm so glad I persevered with American football in 1995. It's now my favorite sport

i8hibsh

All forms of motor 'sport'

Golf

women's football

Edited by i8hibsh

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I don't dislike any sports and would give any a chance.

I'm so glad I persevered with American football in 1995. It's now my favorite sport

This is a good shout, as all the people that go to it aren't all drooling idiots hypnotized into thinking they're having a good time when in fact they're bored out of their minds . . .

It makes a huge difference what you've actually played as well. I played youth baseball but then didn't for decades. Signed up for a softball (closely related game with a bigger ball that moves slower so it's easier for rec league) team in grad school and got a new appreciation for just how far those throws from outfield were. That made baseball exciting all over again. Kind of like how passing a football accurately 20 yards looks easy on the screen until you get out on the pitch yourself. Basketball remains my #1 favorite sport but if you haven't tried it yourself I'm sure it all looks a bit silly.

All that said, for me, I'll go for golf, MMA, and any kind of racing (F1, stock car, horses, even athletics). I've got a particular dislike for horseracing as the horses always look on the verge of having a catastrophic accident that will end up with them being euthanized.

jamb0_1874
On 13/03/2024 at 20:53, PortyJambo said:

Horse racing, F1, anything where they go round and round...and round, and there's not much in the way of human athleticism involved.

Do you not think you need to be an athlete to be a top end racing driver in either a car or a bike? 🙄 

jamb0_1874
On 14/03/2024 at 07:24, been here before said:

Team 1 goes down and had a throw... Team 2 goes down and has a throw... Team 1 goes down and had a throw... Team 2 goes down and has a throw... Team 1 goes down and had a throw... Team 2 goes down and has a throw... Team 1 goes down and had a throw... Team 2 goes down and has a throw... Team 1 goes down and had a throw... Team 2 goes down and has a throw... 

...for an hour.

You forgot about all the squeaking from the shoes on the court!!!!

for an hour.... 🤬

F1 used to be exciting but it's just a procession these days, I have up on it about 20 years ago and started watching the MotoGP, sat one day watching Valentino Rossi make a mistake with 10 laps to go, fall down to 11th place and somehow managed to end the race in 1st...pure racing, risky manoeuvres, edge of your seat stuff..just brilliant to watch. 

Baseball is dreadful to watch too, no wonder the Americans spend all day at the game drinking 

PortyJambo
2 hours ago, jamb0_1874 said:

Do you not think you need to be an athlete to be a top end racing driver in either a car or a bike? 🙄 

Of course....but not like they're doing all the work 🙄

Cycling I'll give you, I don't actually mind watching track cycling at all. Cars going round and round bore me to tears though.

The Jazz Emu

I'm quite disappointed to see cricket, tennis and polo mentioned on the thread.

They are great sports to watch, and are much more fun than the rough and tumble of rugby which is really just 30 people chasing a ball and trying to hurt one another.

Harry Potter
On 13/03/2024 at 20:28, redjambo said:

Squash.

played it once, never again, kept missing the baw😧,

Cricket high up there with fishing.

Edited by Harry Potter

heatonjambo
On 13/03/2024 at 21:56, PortyJambo said:

And, if I could add another 3, gymnastics, ice skating and synchronised swimming too, where any score is dependant on what a judge thinks and it's not that clear to inexpert viewers what they're actually looking at.

like Olympic boxing

or 

currently the ref and TMO in rugby

🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by heatonjambo

redjambo
25 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

played it once, never again, kept missing the baw😧,

Most knackering sport I've ever played. Fun to play, utterly abysmal to watch.