West Lothian Council, Building permission

muldoon74

muldoon74

Folks, I want to build a shed for my motorbike in my back garden.

Guy at my work does this sort of thing so getting it done is no problem.

Only issue is he says a concrete base will be cheaper and easier than the pallet based design I had in mind. My brother is a builder ad confirms this however he is unable to come up from Yorkshire ATM to do it., 

I've searched the West Lothian council site and cannot find info on whether I need planning permission (at a further £160) or not. 

Anyone in West Lothian got any experience of this type of thing?

Regulations for 4 in a block/flats and houses are different (we are 4 in a block and proposed site is more than 1 m away from main building, will be approx. 6m squared. 

Any help gratefully received regarding personal experience.. 

hughesie27

From my limited knowledge I'm sure anything no taller than 2.5 meters in height does not require permission. 

6 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Folks, I want to build a shed for my motorbike in my back garden.

Guy at my work does this sort of thing so getting it done is no problem.

Only issue is he says a concrete base will be cheaper and easier than the pallet based design I had in mind. My brother is a builder ad confirms this however he is unable to come up from Yorkshire ATM to do it., 

I've searched the West Lothian council site and cannot find info on whether I need planning permission (at a further £160) or not. 

Anyone in West Lothian got any experience of this type of thing?

Regulations for 4 in a block/flats and houses are different (we are 4 in a block and proposed site is more than 1 m away from main building, will be approx. 6m squared. 

Any help gratefully received regarding personal experience.. 

Think the planning rules are the same throughout the country. Basically any small outbuilding which isn't attached to the house doesn't need planning permission. 

I certainly hope so, as we built a summerhouse a few years back without contacting the council! 

Carl Fredrickson

My experience of this is with Midlothian Council and a garden shed. IIRC any shed upto 4x6 was ok but bigger than that required planning permission. This was in 2012 though (moved in the Monday after the cup final which only allowed me one day of goading my horrible hibee neighbour)

Might be easier to give the council a call or drop them an email asking for advice or guidance. 

henrysmithsgloves

Wooden structure is seen as a temporary building so does not require planning permission. If it has a concrete base can't see a problem either 👍🏻 

highlandjambo3
4 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Think the planning rules are the same throughout the country. Basically any small outbuilding which isn't attached to the house doesn't need planning permission. 

I certainly hope so, as we built a summerhouse a few years back without contacting the council! 

My next door neighbour built a self contained annex in his back garden, it’s not attached to his house.  We received planning notification from the council of this project before it started, in case we had any objection……picture below, 

IMG_2080.jpeg

muldoon74

Thanks for all the replies, most helpful! 

I'm going to contact the council as I can't find anything regarding having to put ground back to original condition if we leave the property. 

Would be difficult with a concrete base as that's what I'm erring towards now.