Maroon Mile

davemclaren

132goals1958
37 minutes ago, kevinref said:

2 Things i'd like too see, or explored

1 painting the gable end at the plaza, in the style of the 74 poster (evening news)

from the beginning to right up to date, involving the local schools, designing and painting

would need to be a few feet of ground, so not vandalised,

2 the return of the board at the gorgie road entrance, even if it was on the stand,

it was one of the most iconic signs, the feeling you got when you saw it, on bus or turning corner to ente

image.jpeg

periodictabledancer
17 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

So a few plaques with a Blurb and a QR code to scan.

Some maroon plaques instead of the usual blue ones. 

Fxxx the SPFL
12 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

I would like to see huge signs put up on both the railway bridge up from Tynecastle, and the other bridge at Robertson Ave saying something like  “Wecome to Gorgie - Home of Heart of Midlothian FC” and the Hearts 150 Year Crest (if the council/railway would allow it).

image.jpeg.e573d7b496f0de3a2146901a88aa8d6f.jpeg

great idea but unfortunately the numskulls from fester road would no doubt deface it 

Midloth_Iain
12 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

I would like to see huge signs put up on both the railway bridge up from Tynecastle, and the other bridge at Robertson Ave saying something like  “Wecome to Gorgie - Home of Heart of Midlothian FC” and the Hearts 150 Year Crest (if the council/railway would allow it).

image.jpeg.e573d7b496f0de3a2146901a88aa8d6f.jpeg

I am imagining (part of it to be) lamp post 'advertising' in maroon. Perhaps a scaled down version similar to this on Wembley Way. 

Wembley Stadium on X: "The famous walk up Wembley Way 🤩 See you inside 🙌  #WomensFACup https://t.co/vD1rZwfBwE" / X

Pans Jambo
5 minutes ago, Midloth_Iain said:

I am imagining (part of it to be) lamp post 'advertising' in maroon. Perhaps a scaled down version similar to this on Wembley Way. 

Wembley Stadium on X: "The famous walk up Wembley Way 🤩 See you inside 🙌  #WomensFACup https://t.co/vD1rZwfBwE" / X

That would be cool.

Pans Jambo
5 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

great idea but unfortunately the numskulls from fester road would no doubt deface it 

No doubt the ninja bed spread spray painters will be looking forward to it.

boag1874
15 hours ago, Daktari said:

Celtic fan on death row, but they didn't do it, it's a conspiracy and anyway someone else did something similar somewhere sometime, and they got away with it!

:lol: bet if it was a hun he'd get let off, they make them wear orange jumpsuits for a reason! Masonic prison service corrupt to the core

I support this initiative, but I think it needs to be very carefully thought out. If it is to be permanent or semi permanent signage, then it needs to be well done and maintainable. As folks have said, it will attract the idiots, and even if not, will begin to look shabby in a few years time if not made future proof.  As its to end at the museum, I like the idea of having the old sign restored there and maybe illuminated signs (as on the stand) in key places (e.g. the bridge). 

Jambo-Fox

Lamppost banners in maroon and white on every lamppost along the maroon mile and made locally!!

IMG_3598.webp

Edited by Jambo-Fox

On 06/03/2024 at 18:23, Sooks said:

My first flat was in Gorgie . Grew up further west 

Hutchison? ;)

Berrassobad
On 06/03/2024 at 17:07, davemclaren said:

Will be interesting to see how thet hope to prevent vandalism - football related things tend to attract that given its partisan nature. 

Will be the green mile once the vermin stop sniffing their spray paint

On 07/03/2024 at 09:08, Andrew Gilbert Wauchope said:

It starts from the Tesco at the bottom of Easter Road and goes as far as where the Foley Tesco will be, in the not too distant future.

Tesco_Fester_Road.jpg

• 1 month later...
tian447
On 08/03/2024 at 17:34, Gizmo said:

Tesco_Fester_Road.jpg

ec7zai7yhw231.jpg

Be hard to tell the difference. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
10 minutes ago, tian447 said:

ec7zai7yhw231.jpg

Be hard to tell the difference. 

🤣🤣🤣

jamboinglasgow

Was watching a few travel videos giving advice on going to Edinburgh on youtube recently, and what struck me is how restricted where they say to go is. It normally the Old Town, New Town, Arthurs seat, Dean Village and Stockbridge. So I can see the problem there is to get people over to Tynecastle as unless they know about Tynecastle and want to go then they wont be heading up Dalry Road.

My hope is the maroon mile is something that makes that route a bit more noticeable. Something that can be tarted up a bit and have signs to it, as it would raise attention to those walking in the west end.

I do think though the hotel can help improve tourism to Tynecastle, not only as you have people staying there for the hotel, but it can spread word to others about the area, as I think you get a lot of tourists who love to find the history and culture of a place and Tynecastle has a lot.

Edited by jamboinglasgow