Maroon Mile

davemclaren

davemclaren
7 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Another great initiative this , gorgie rules 

Will be interesting to see how thet hope to prevent vandalism - football related things tend to attract that given its partisan nature. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Will be interesting to see how thet hope to prevent vandalism - football related things tend to attract that given its partisan nature. 

Yeah you're right

hughesie27

Brilliant. Should be great for the local community and fellow Hearts fans.

What is it?

BigAlim
2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Brilliant. Should be great for the local community and fellow Hearts fans.

What is it?

Hop scotch 

Polonia Gorgie

Can't wait to see it completed, Gorgie Rules 🇱🇻🇱🇻

Pans Jambo
6 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

What is it?

Its the morron mile mate!!!

What else do you need to know!!!

(I havent a clue what it actually is either). 

hughesie27
3 minutes ago, Daktari said:

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/blogs/news/maroon-mile-project-launched

It's a heritage trail reflecting the combined history of the club and the Gorgie area. It will start at the war memorial which it says will have some enhancement, and finish at the museum.

So a few plaques with a Blurb and a QR code to scan.

24 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

That's always a concern. It would be interesting to see how the club goes ahead with it. 

37 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

My first thought was of what Hibs fans will do to ruin it.

db211833
33 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Its the morron mile mate!!!

What else do you need to know!!!

(I havent a clue what it actually is either). 

Just a mile lined with village idiots then? Like te sound of the moron mile.

No Idle Talk

This sounds like an interesting project. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. 

Maiden Gorgie
11 minutes ago, db211833 said:

I think that's officially called Easter Road

Give or take a few metres/idiots.

Edited by Maiden Gorgie

Decent . I like it . We need a statue of the Terrible Trio at the start or end of it imo

I would hope that after the “ 18 months “ that it is delivered , that there will still be a presence after that ❤️

jamboozy

Great stuff, I must admit, even though I don’t originate from Edinburgh, I love the things the club do for the local community and Edinburgh as a city.

4 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

Great stuff, I must admit, even though I don’t originate from Edinburgh, I love the things the club do for the local community and Edinburgh as a city.

My first flat was in Gorgie . Grew up further west 

jamboozy
Just now, Sooks said:

My first flat was in Gorgie . Grew up further west 

I hope it has good memories for you Sooks👍I must admit, if I had a win on the lottery? I would buy a flat in the Gorgie area so’s I wouldn’t have far to stagger after games.:lol:

Gundermann

Great idea. Hope it highlights places where former players opened shops and the like after retirement.

11 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

I hope it has good memories for you Sooks👍I must admit, if I had a win on the lottery? I would buy a flat in the Gorgie area so’s I wouldn’t have far to stagger after games.:lol:

Totally , it would probably just be a nicer one than the one I bought way back when !!

Pans Jambo
1 hour ago, Daktari said:

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/blogs/news/maroon-mile-project-launched

It's a heritage trail reflecting the combined history of the club and the Gorgie area. It will start at the war memorial which it says will have some enhancement, and finish at the museum.

I meant what is it though? Specifically?

9,000 litres of maroon paint along Dalry road or what?

The detail is a bit lacking in actual detail. 

Edited by Pans Jambo

GinRummy
14 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

I meant what is it though? Specifically?

9,000 litres of maroon paint along Dalry road or what?

The detail is a bit lacking in actual detail. 

That must be deliberate surely. No idea why it would be, to keep it as a surprise?

Buster HMFC

They need to change the name. Every time I read it I picture a big Hearts fan on death row.

busbyfth

A few snippets (appropriately placed) of personal history of a selection of fans who signed up for the "Great" war wouldnt go amiss, as plenty is RIGHTFULLY said of the players who went and died, but not enough said about the supporters who also signed up, especially on the same day that the players did - who also gave their lives or health !! 👍

Mikey1874

Trying to find the video they did a few years ago with Ian Black, Billy Brown and Jim Jefferies.

highlandjambo3

In the same vein, can we also consider a “maroon boaby” mile theme aimed at a walk starting from Waverley and heading down leith way……we could introduce plaques en route commemorating dry humpings of the vermin………that’s a lot of plaques but I’m sure FOH could chip in.

The Treasurer
2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Sadly that was my first thought 

Sigma One
57 minutes ago, Buster HMFC said:

They need to change the name. Every time I read it I picture a big Hearts fan on death row.

Nah, that's green mile and obviously a Hibby on death row. 😅

Daktari
2 minutes ago, Sigma One said:

Nah, that's green mile and obviously a Hibby on death row. 😅

Celtic fan on death row, but they didn't do it, it's a conspiracy and anyway someone else did something similar somewhere sometime, and they got away with it!

3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

In the short term Hibs fans will be too busy sending letters to Westminster and the National Lottery about using charity money to aid "poppy thieves".

I'm sure a few cameras strategically placed would be effective.

Another fantastic off the field move from the club! Hopefully will help increase the clubs visability further and help maybe draw in more fans.

Quite where we're going to put them is a different question, but this is absolutely fantastic :) 

brownkg

Plans were submitted when the Friends and MBT were successful in getting the council to return the memorial to Haymarket before it was irrevocably damaged beyond restoration but the club had different priorities back in 2013. The planning permission lapsed and had to be reapplied for. Although it will not be possible to return to the grandeur of old it should give this important and unique war memorial some extra gravatis.

memorial1970ish.jpg

Gorgie_Rules

Don’t really understand what it is either despite the long post on the Hearts website but anything that enhances the clubs reputation/footprint and celebrates our history has got to be a good thing. 

davemclaren
22 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

In the short term Hibs fans will be too busy sending letters to Westminster and the National Lottery about using charity money to aid "poppy thieves".

I'm sure a few cameras strategically placed would be effective.

Both good points. 😄

davemclaren
3 minutes ago, brownkg said:

Plans were submitted when the Friends and MBT were successful in getting the council to return the memorial to Haymarket before it was irrevocably damaged beyond restoration but the club had different priorities back in 2013. The planning permission lapsed and had to be reapplied for. Although it will not be possible to return to the grandeur of old it should give this important and unique war memorial some extra gravatis.

memorial1970ish.jpg

Indeed. 

jr ewing
4 hours ago, davemclaren said:

My first thought too. 

escobri
4 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Quite sad that one of the first replies is about potential vandalism but after the recent behaviour by the rodents at Tynecastle, it is actually quite understandable. 

Pans Jambo

I would like to see huge signs put up on both the railway bridge up from Tynecastle, and the other bridge at Robertson Ave saying something like  “Wecome to Gorgie - Home of Heart of Midlothian FC” and the Hearts 150 Year Crest (if the council/railway would allow it).

image.jpeg.e573d7b496f0de3a2146901a88aa8d6f.jpeg

jamboinglasgow
6 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

So a few plaques with a Blurb and a QR code to scan.

Thats the way I read it, with the museum getting more things and the ability to do audio tours.

I was hoping that it was Dalry Road getting tarted up with Hearts stuff. For example having banners on lamp posts and more maroon around. I dont think that will be the case but to be fair its nice to have a heritage trail.

manaliveits105

Charity funding :rudiyas:

GIRUY ya hobo tramps !

it's our city 

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
15 hours ago, db211833 said:

14 hours ago, Maiden Gorgie said:

I think that's officially called Easter Road

Give or take a few metres/idiots.

It starts from the Tesco at the bottom of Easter Road and goes as far as where the Foley Tesco will be, in the not too distant future.

PapaShango

Would love to see some murals on the buildings of old Hearts players as you go from Haymarket down to Tynecastle. Not sure if they are allowed but seen some in Liverpool and Belfast and they look great. 

1 hour ago, PapaShango said:

Would love to see some murals on the buildings of old Hearts players as you go from Haymarket down to Tynecastle. Not sure if they are allowed but seen some in Liverpool and Belfast and they look great. 

They would end up ruined by the utter ******s who spend their nights scuttling around Edinburgh spray painting their ‘ tags ‘ on things 

kevinref

2 Things i'd like too see, or explored

1 painting the gable end at the plaza, in the style of the 74 poster (evening news)

from the beginning to right up to date, involving the local schools, designing and painting

would need to be a few feet of ground, so not vandalised,

2 the return of the board at the gorgie road entrance, even if it was on the stand,

it was one of the most iconic signs, the feeling you got when you saw it, on bus or turning corner to ente

Mr Sifter
15 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

In the same vein, can we also consider a “maroon boaby” mile theme aimed at a walk starting from Waverley and heading down leith way……we could introduce plaques en route commemorating dry humpings of the vermin………that’s a lot of plaques but I’m sure FOH could chip in.

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼🤣