*** Official Greenock Morton vs Heart of Midlothian Scottish Cup 1/4 final match day thread ( Live on BBC) ***

Scott980612

GinRummy
2 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

I called Grant after just minutes last night, when he did his usual bottle at a tackle, followed by a bad pass when under no pressure. 

He flatters to deceive, in the odd game.  Sure he can pass a ball.....sometimes, but so can others who contribute more.  Every time he plays it's us with, at best, 10.5 men.

Midfield needs tweaked for Saturday. Surely Devlin and Beni together should allow one of the younger guys a bit of space. Both Tait and Denholm (although totally different players) add a bit of energy and urgency.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• ScandinavianJambo

• jamboozy

• Harry Potter

maroonsgotop
9 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

I called Grant after just minutes last night, when he did his usual bottle at a tackle, followed by a bad pass when under no pressure. 

He flatters to deceive, in the odd game.  Sure he can pass a ball.....sometimes, but so can others who contribute more.  Every time he plays it's us with, at best, 10.5 men.

good at taking penalties though

KyleLafferty

Thought Grant was targeted early doors from Morton players. Got kicked good few times. Wasn’t his greatest game, infact maybe one of his poorest ones. However he has had a good season this year, and turned his career around at hearts.

montheton
10 hours ago, SM8 said:

They’d handle themselves in the Premiership. Not many teams would win at Cappielow that’s for sure, atmosphere was fantastic to their fans’ credit. Would be so easy to support one of the cheeks if you were from out that way so fair play

Cheers for that ,well done last night lads just too strong for us in the end , but we gave everything and I'm proud of the team , PS I'd rather the old firm would die would help boost our support a bit more, and as for our home cappielow, well I would not change it for the world, nostalgic , atmospheric, character. The new generation get to see what football was like back in the day hehe. Good luck in the cup lads and ladies wish you all the best.

Edited by montheton

avhudtheteeshirt
7 minutes ago, montheton said:

Cheers for that ,well done last night lads just too strong for us in the end , but we gave everything and I'm proud of the team , PS I'd rather the old firm would die would help boost our support a bit more, and as for our home cappielow, well I would not change it for the world, nostalgic , atmospheric, character. The new generation get to see what football was like back in the day hehe. Good luck in the cup lads and ladies wish you all the best.

Thanks for that, your a gentleman and a scholar!!!

I remember going to Cappielow when we had to park under the cranes in the docks, and the East terrace had a hole in it.

Great wee ground and fantastic atmosphere.

Chillidigits
12 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

If Rangers beat Benfica we will definitely be playing on the Sunday. 

So a boost too to know the Euro place is sown up by Celtic beating Aberdeen.

Yep getting one of the OF in semi final works for us . Celtic disposing of the sheep gives us automatic group stage providing we get third and the only team stopping us from doing that is ourselves

PapaShango
1 hour ago, henryheart said:

At no time where we under any serious pressure; it simply boiled down to when we were going to get our act together going forward. The longer the game went on the more the gaps in their defence opened up. Suggestions that Craig Gordon saved us and that we were lucky that George Oakley wasn't playing are nonsense. Gordon barely had to stretch himself and if Oakley was that good, and he isn't, he would be playing for a better team than Morton.   

Well if Gordon doesn't make that save second half we were in serious trouble. A terrific save from him. If they had scored first it would have been a real struggle to break them down IMO. 

PapaShango
18 minutes ago, montheton said:

Morton done themselves proud last night and got right in about us especially second half. Was a proper cup tie and a great atmosphere. I actually think if you had scored first we could have toiled to get back into it. 

montheton
20 minutes ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

I remember going to Cappielow when we had to park under the cranes in the docks, and the East terrace had a hole in it.

👍

TorinoJambo
25 minutes ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

My first visit in 1968 the QE2 was towering over everything. Being refitted I think. There was a picture of it on the front of the programme. 

montheton
14 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Morton done themselves proud last night and got right in about us especially second half. Was a proper cup tie and a great atmosphere. I actually think if you had scored first we could have toiled to get back into it. 

Our main goalscorer was not fit I personally feel we may have got one with him on the park , were not great on the eye and some call us thugs or dirty , we have one of t the lowest budgets in the championship Dougie brings in players who work hard will fight for everything a bit like himself as a player, the running off the ball is our strength and getting in teams faces . For some can be nasty but every team needs a little bit of that . He gets the best out players that have been written off and we're in a shout of making the play offs, and if we can do that then we fear no one here in a play off, well anyone from 4th in premier down 👍 so maybe possible we may meet again soon hehe

Ricardo Quaresma
17 minutes ago, TorinoJambo said:

My first visit in 1968 the QE2 was towering over everything. Being refitted I think. There was a picture of it on the front of the programme. 

1968113001Morton2-0CappielowPark.jpg.b33d7d2ef2de3010045f452af67fa54d.jpg

henryheart
30 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Well if Gordon doesn't make that save second half we were in serious trouble. A terrific save from him. If they had scored first it would have been a real struggle to break them down IMO. 

As you say, all about opinions. I saw it as a save that most keepers would expect to make as it was almost straight at him, but I'm not a goalkeeper. I agree that a goal for Morton would have made it more difficult, but gaps were opening up the longer the game went on as they were getting tired with Vargas and Denholm missing chances that were better than anything Morton created. Thankfully we didn't have to find out, and maybe we may have struggled had Morton scored, but going behind has not proved a problem in recent times against better teams and I always felt that we had another gear as Benny showed when he burst through their midfield for the goal. 

montheton
2 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

1968113001Morton2-0CappielowPark.jpg.b33d7d2ef2de3010045f452af67fa54d.jpg

Great find hehe well as I say all the best in the cup better you lot than one of the ugly sisters , no need for me on here now but the premier league needs a Cappielow hehe so hopefully I re appear soon for the next encounter. Adios lads 

indianajones

Watching some of the game last night again. Pitch was a bit strange. Ball seemed to be bobbling about all over the place. Still think the referee was horrendous. Gave us absolutely nothing for the whole game. 

Ricardo Quaresma
5 minutes ago, montheton said:

Great find hehe well as I say all the best in the cup better you lot than one of the ugly sisters , no need for me on here now but the premier league needs a Cappielow hehe so hopefully I re appear soon for the next encounter. Adios lads 

It was a classic Cup Tie at a classic ground; good luck for the season and hopefully you take out the sheep in the play-offs 👍

davemclaren
22 minutes ago, montheton said:

It was a bit like going back in time visiting Cappielaw for the first time in many, many years but I enjoyed it. Good luck for the rest of the season in your promotion bid. 

chrystaf
31 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Watching some of the game last night again. Pitch was a bit strange. Ball seemed to be bobbling about all over the place. Still think the referee was horrendous. Gave us absolutely nothing for the whole game. 

And far too quick to give out yellow cards, some of which were not even fouls.

colinmaroon
2 hours ago, maroonsgotop said:

good at taking penalties though

Actually, if the Celtic keeper had gone the other way he would have almost certainly saved it.

Penalties should be unsavable, high into the corner, a la Cameron in Cup Final and Shanks last penalty, a la most of Robbo's. 

Edited by colinmaroon

kingantti1874
2 hours ago, montheton said:

genuine question mate: why do Morton fans dislike shanks? 

Pasquale for King
18 hours ago, Thomaso said:

He’s hilarious!

Absolutely, sounds like the game wasn’t great but the result is all that matters really. 

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Played for Ayr? 

Ex member of the SaS
4 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Genuinely think we have some of the simplest, least knowledgable fans in the country.  Some of the viewpoints are absolute outrageous. 

We also have some of the worst maroon tinted specs mob going, they think they are footballing gods and if they were are smart as they claim ( AFTER ) a game, then maybe they should be our manager.

Personally said this would not be the walk in the park many predicted last week.  We were poor with slow play and too many passes going astray. Defenders standing immobile on the half way line instead of moving the ball quickly, like we did against Celtic. It's obvious that between the two types of play fast attacking is more productive and more entertaining for the fans. It's also the game SN claims he wants to see but we rarely do.

Possession football has it's place but we start too many games on the back foot.

Ex member of the SaS
29 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Actually, if the Celtic keeper had gone the other way he would have almost certainly saved it.

Penalties should be unsavable, high into the corner, a la Cameron in Cup Final and Shanks last penalty, a la most of Robbo's. 

Agreed. Said many times over the years why don't they practice high into the corners, impossible for the keeper to dive upwards.

chrystaf
3 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

We also have some of the worst maroon tinted specs mob going, they think they are footballing gods and if they were are smart as they claim ( AFTER ) a game, then maybe they should be our manager.

Personally said this would not be the walk in the park many predicted last week.  We were poor with slow play and too many passes going astray. Defenders standing immobile on the half way line instead of moving the ball quickly, like we did against Celtic. It's obvious that between the two types of play fast attacking is more productive and more entertaining for the fans. It's also the game SN claims he wants to see but we rarely do.

Possession football has it's place but we start too many games on the back foot.

Interesting that on the two occasions that Beni took it upon himself to drive forward, this unusual occurrence produced great play, one was the Shanks "goal" against Celtic (ruled off for the depth of a shirt sleeve) and the other resulted in last night's winner.

Why does this gifted player not do it more often?

davemclaren
26 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

He played for them at one point so is a bit odd. 🤷

davemclaren
Just now, chrystaf said:

Interesting that on the two occasions that Beni took it upon himself to drive forward, this unusual occurrence produced great play, one was the Shanks "goal" against Celtic (ruled off for the depth of a shirt sleeve) and the other resulted in last night's winner.

Maybe because the circumstances and the risk/benefit ratio were different. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Enjoyed the experience, I like going back in time, Scottish Cup classic situation from years gone by. Handled it very well, most Premier teams would have perished last night.

Was there an official attendance?

Ex member of the SaS
1 minute ago, chrystaf said:

It has taken him a very long time to get back from injury, not a shadow of his former self, but there has been improvement and hopefully he will continue to improve. Runs the mid field and has cut out the silly mistakes he made earlier when he first returned ( losing the ball too easily ) 

hmfc_liam06
31 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Ayr.

I guess they didn't think Forrest of much a threat as he didn't get it tight from them 🤣

stevie1874
8 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Enjoyed the experience, I like going back in time, Scottish Cup classic situation from years gone by. Handled it very well, most Premier teams would have perished last night.

Was there an official attendance?

Certainly was an experience but I’d rather not have them in the premier league. Crumbling stadium, crap pitch ( looked decent but ball bobbled all the time) and Morton only tactic seemed to be to lump or throw the ball as far as they could. Good result at what proved to be a tricky tie/venue. 

gedster
50 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Played for St Mirren 

wavydavy
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Played for Ayr? 

Lamont seemed to think he had played for St Mirren.

Luckies1874

20 minutes ago, gedster said:

Played for St Mirren 

15 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Played for St Mirren (on loan), as well as Ayr, but also played for Morton 16 times (also on loan) and apparently they thought he was the laziest player, out with Gary O'Connor, they had ever seen! 

montheton
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Played for Ayr? 

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

He came to Morton from St Mirren and was basically overweight and piss , never scored much fans never rated him , he left went to Ayr they got him fit and he started finding form and scoring goals for fun and quite happy celebrating the goals in front of us . It's nothing really personal in truth we all want him doing well for Scotland we are probs a  little jealous we never got anything from him lol but most of all mate he is your best player and the most form player in Scotland Morton fans would be like that if it was Messi or Ronaldo was on the park playing against us, it's how it should be , can either make a player fold , be quiet , or rise to it and get a booking or two . Were not going to sit in the stands and admire a game changer. Hope that helps 

Edited by montheton

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Played for St Mirren (on loan), as well as Ayr, but also played for Morton 16 times (also on loan) and apparently they thought he was the laziest player, out with Gary O'Connor, they had ever seen! 

Some on here thought that in August/September on here as well, to be fair.  

Luckies1874
Just now, davemclaren said:

Some on here thought that in August/September on here as well, to be fair.  

:rofl:

Haha touche 

Mikey1874

St Mirren/ Morton is real proper hatred. Probably not really understood by bigger teams fans. 

montheton
4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

St Mirren/ Morton is real proper hatred. Probably not really understood by bigger teams fans. 

Yes it sure is, the vile and hatred sang from the terraces would shock a few no mention of a pope or a queen but plenty in regards to any other family members. 

4 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

Grant did look off the pace again last night. Has decent technique but just doesn't influence games enough. That's been the case since he arrived.

I'll be amazed if he's still here come the first game of next season. Same goes for Fraser. We need far better than those two. 

chazza74
4 hours ago, KyleLafferty said:

Thought Grant was targeted early doors from Morton players. Got kicked good few times. Wasn’t his greatest game, infact maybe one of his poorest ones. However he has had a good season this year, and turned his career around at hearts.

No good enough, he’s stopping Tait and Denholm getting more game time , we need to cut our losses and get shot he’s had enough chances .

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

Morton too 😆

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, montheton said:

He came to Morton from St Mirren and was basically overweight and piss , never scored much fans never rated him , he left went to Ayr they got him fit and he started finding form and scoring goals for fun and quite happy celebrating the goals in front of us . It's nothing really personal in truth we all want him doing well for Scotland we are probs a  little jealous we never got anything from him lol but most of all mate he is your best player and the most form player in Scotland Morton fans would be like that if it was Messi or Ronaldo was on the park playing against us, it's how it should be , can either make a player fold , be quiet , or rise to it and get a booking or two . Were not going to sit in the stands and admire a game changer. Hope that helps 

I didn’t know he played for you or St Mirren 👍🏽

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Maybe by some, but don’t categorise us all as not understanding hatred, as i have it in abundance for lots of things including the uglies for example.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Our shanty town is better than yours type of thing

16 minutes ago, AlexJiang21 said:

How many loyalty points awarded for last night? My account remain unchanged.

2 for an away game I think. Dunno if the cup is more or not.

Wee Mikey
1 hour ago, WDJ87 said:

2 for an away game I think. Dunno if the cup is more or not.

Should be 5.

Actually, for those who made that famtastic effort?

Should be 10.

Jambo in Bathgate
7 hours ago, KyleLafferty said:

Think you are right! He was beginning to lose it and ended up booked. 

20 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Should be 5.

Actually, for those who made that famtastic effort?

Should be 10.

Thought 5 points was an away euro tie?