Additional revenue streams

Jambomuzz

43 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

Yes.

Understand that airport shops aren't cheap but one there and/ or city centre would sell the club. 

Obviously the viability of a club shop in the centre of town could be difficult, but perhaps a joint shop with Hibs & the SRU might be a good idea. 

I know that people wouldn't want to share anything with Hibs but it would share the costs of the shop and avoid it being a drain on resources whilst giving the club a very central tourist friendly location to hopefully continue to attract new fans and people looking for wee bits and pieces. Maybe walk up tickets too to save going to the stadium if you're a bit further afield? 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OTT

• Jambomuzz

• Pasquale for King

• johnking123

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Batistuta87
16 hours ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

Quickest and most lucrative way to increase revenue is to focus on scouting players to sign and sell on at big profits.

100% this. 

Much bigger and quicker money to be made by investing in recruitment and in the squad, and selling players on. Even if we pay £500k for someone and sell them for a million. Do that x5 or x10 over the course of a few years and we're making good regular money. Any extra money we have should go towards increasing wage limits, increasing transfer budgets and just generally improving the squad and making Hearts a more desirable place to play. 

As the old saying goes. You've got to speculate to accumulate. 

Edited by Batistuta87

kingantti1874

Very important that we do find additional streams of revenue. We need to grow the business as a whole.

without further redevelopment of tynecastle maybe we need look outside the stadium footprint.

TP hotels expand 

kingantti1874
15 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

100% this. 

Much bigger and quicker money to be made by investing in recruitment and in the squad, and selling players on. Even if we pay £500k for someone and sell them for a million. Do that x5 or x10 over the course of a few years and we're making good regular money. Any extra money we have should go towards increasing wage limits, increasing transfer budgets and just generally improving the squad and making Hearts a more desirable place to play. 

As the old saying goes. You've got to speculate to accumulate. 

agree with this as well.  We have to be a bit bolder as regards recruitment and wages. 

we don’t plan in player trading just now but we really have to imo

I've said for a number of years that we should get Tynecastle included as a "stop" on one (or more) of those city bus tours.

The amount of tourists in Edinburgh (especially during the summer) is insane as everyone knows...

Make the stadium tours more frequent and easy to get on to and you have an immediate win with tourists coming off the bus, going on the tour, spending tons in the club shop.

If we could expand the bar also, to have a cafe-style eatery, you keep them in the area for longer.

Finally, a lot of tourists "latch on" to a team where they have visited a stadium, so this could result in more long term fans and ticket sales...

Edited by BRY

Dodger84

I remember an interview with JA saying that he challenges the board in that are they thinking big enough etc. when you look at his passion for community projects and the fact that we should be looking at ways to increase the stadium capacity in the future, then we should be looking at a big project that involves the land behind the wheatfield stand. If it’s possible to work the company that owns the ethanol tanks and get them moved then it could open up all kinds of possibilities of a larger stand with top quality community facilities incorporated. This of course can lead to new revenue streams. That’s my hope 

davemclaren
5 hours ago, Section Q said:

This.....

Police control room could be outside the ground. Monitoring cctv doesn't need a room with a view.

They use binoculars as well I believe. 😄

2 hours ago, Section Q said:

A whole room for cables.  . .  Wow. . . !

Just telling you, sorry if it doesn't please you

davemclaren
2 hours ago, OTT said:

Obviously the viability of a club shop in the centre of town could be difficult, but perhaps a joint shop with Hibs & the SRU might be a good idea. 

I know that people wouldn't want to share anything with Hibs but it would share the costs of the shop and avoid it being a drain on resources whilst giving the club a very central tourist friendly location to hopefully continue to attract new fans and people looking for wee bits and pieces. Maybe walk up tickets too to save going to the stadium if you're a bit further afield? 

With online ordering so widely used I'm not convinced there's much profitability in us having a high street presence these days. 

i8hibsh
1 hour ago, BRY said:

I've said for a number of years that we should get Tynecastle included as a "stop" on one (or more) of those city bus tours.

Would love tourists to see our stadium and get a feel for the club but the sad truth is that any bus etc would have to go through Dalry/Gorgie etc to do so and it pains me to say but they are pretty much third world shitholes now.

Dog shit, rubbish and quite literally the stink of sewage.  Throw in the litter issue too it is quite disgraceful.

I counted 3 discarded matresses in one Dalry Street alone last week.

Edited by i8hibsh

3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

With online ordering so widely used I'm not convinced there's much profitability in us having a high street presence these days. 

Yeah, you're not wrong there Dave, Amazon has slaughtered the highstreet. 

I was thinking more along the lines of tourists looking to pick something up. But, yeah, maybe not enough of a market to justify it. Maybe as @BRY has said further up, getting Tynecastle on the route of any bus tours is the way to go. Lets us tap into the tourist market without having to spend on another retail outlet. 

Gundermann
2 hours ago, OTT said:

Yes, perhaps best at the airport unless all 3 entities could come to some agreement with the Council and/ or tourist board with a view to selling Edinburgh. We already share a city with Hibs and they bring us much joy so wouldn't mind outselling them at a neutral venue...

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

They use binoculars as well I believe. 😄

They clearly did a Titanic and left them locked in a cupboard during the H1b5 game.

2 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

Yes, perhaps best at the airport unless all 3 entities could come to some agreement with the Council and/ or tourist board with a view to selling Edinburgh. We already share a city with Hibs and they bring us much joy so wouldn't mind outselling them at a neutral venue...

Yeah, thats kind of the angle I'd like to see. It pains me to see OF crap for sale in Edinburgh. Does nothing to promote the city, whereas Hearts and Hibs do. 

Shooter McGavin

In an ideal world, we’d copy and paste the current Main Stand over to the Wheatfield, that would take the capacity to just over 21,500.

An extra 1.6k ST holders brings in an extra £600k per year. Then you could factor in the additional hospitality, fan zones, bars etc.

The total figure to secure the extra land, and develop all of that, would be eye-watering though. Would probably need to sell stadium sponsorship etc just to go towards the cost.

Qualify for Europe a good few years in a row to maybe feel like it’s viable 🤞🏻

Nookie Bear
3 hours ago, OTT said:

Some things are worth more than a few quid so i would avoid any link up with them.

What i would like to see is our strip sold outwith the club shop.

Nookie Bear
15 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Rip off some Lithuanian pensioners.

Oh hold on, we've tried that one before...:D

There will be a whole new generation of Lithuanians since then...ripe for pilfering.

5 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Some things are worth more than a few quid so i would avoid any link up with them.

What i would like to see is our strip sold outwith the club shop.

I do pretty much agree with that position, the difficulty is that so many places want to sell OF stuff, and anything we can do to kinda push ourselves in front of them is worth doing. Even if that includes a partnership on a retail outlet. Although, as others have said, with online sales its probably not likely to even be that profitable. The pop up shop the club did in the St James was probably striking the right balance where we get a wee bit FOMO from supporters that make a special trip to see it. 

jamboinglasgow
4 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Very important that we do find additional streams of revenue. We need to grow the business as a whole.

without further redevelopment of tynecastle maybe we need look outside the stadium footprint.

TP hotels expand 

I would agree. If we want the football side to have more funds to grow, then we need more revenue streams. We are currently maximising every part of Tynecastle to get the most money out of it 365 days a year. And that will make a big difference. Someone on another thread said that the club are currently weighing up build a large matchday bar that includes the Big Hearts room in the Wheatfield and goes under the Roseburn (though depends on cost and Big Hearts agreeing to being moved.) To me if that is done then thats us used every part of Tynecastle.

Now the dream would be expanding Tynecastle, meaning more seats at games and more space in the stadium to add new opportunities. But given the difficulty and expense of what is required to achieve that, it is not going to happen for at least 5 years.

So question becomes what can be done? Should we buy a plot of land or building elsewhere in Edinburgh to create something to allow us to do more (though it may be expensive initially.) Do we look to create a new enterprise that is completely outside of football? Could we create (with the help of the benefactors) a Hearts investment fund, where look to find companies to provide investment into for stakes in them and with the right management make money from that. It could even look to provide investment for local community projects and similar.

I would like to see the board be bold and creative because as the club is fan owned, all the money raised from these revenue streams goes towards football team and have a diverse range of non-football related revenue streams means that if one sector gets hit (like with Covid which would hit the hotel and hospitality side) then the whole club is not damaged by it.

Colonel Kurtz
5 hours ago, BRY said:

The amount of tourists in Edinburgh (especially during the summer) is insane as everyone knows...

Make the stadium tours more frequent and easy to get on to and you have an immediate win with tourists coming off the bus, going on the tour, spending tons in the club shop.

If we could expand the bar also, to have a cafe-style eatery, you keep them in the area for longer.

Finally, a lot of tourists "latch on" to a team where they have visited a stadium, so this could result in more long term fans and ticket sales...

the nearest the tour buses go is Lothian Road. tynecastle and Gorgie I would love to guide the tour but would it be  up on  the average tourist off the cruise ships wish list

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/12102541/celtic-rangers-spfl-clubs-english-teams/

I didn't think the above link warranted a new thread, but give the topic of discussion, it seemed relevant. 

Basically, Scottish clubs are sick of English clubs coming up here and signing our best and brightest talents at 16. There is a desire to drop the age to 14 so players at that age can sign academy contracts. 

I'm not totally sure about the ethics of it (children signing contracts), but clearly there is a big problem if clubs from down south can just rock up and take whoever they want for pennies, completely cutting what many clubs are trying to do off at the knees. Billy Gilmour going for just £500k was horrendous, and we've obviously lost Euan Simpson & Marc Leonard off the top of my head, all of which could have made an impact had they stuck around. 

Anyway, if we're able to sign the youngsters on contracts a couple years earlier, it sidesteps the issues with English clubs being able to cherry pick with little we can do. Won't completely stop the problem, but might go some way to allowing us to give those young laddies a better feeling of progression and hopefully encouraging them to stay a bit longer with the club and hopefully repay the time and effort the club has put into developing up to that point. 

Benny Klack
9 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Nothing in particular to be honest mate I just think the stuff we sell now is horrible. That Oor Jambo stuff is embarrassing. We’ve had it for about 10y now and nobody buys it. Get rid of it. The fake lego bus. The drinks cups with the cheap printed badge in a variety of colours that are nothing to do with Hearts. The unbranded t-shirts and hoodies are crap. The kids teddies and stuff are just generic plushes with a Hearts badge stuck on them and then the price quadrupled. A Hearts measuring tape lol. There’s just so much low quality tat. 

Fair do’s put like that it sounds pretty shan 

Gorgierools

Would a safe standing area along the entire lower half of the Gorgie stand increase capacity or do we need to ensure the same spaces per person?

Edited by Gorgierools

highlandjambo3
9 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Nothing in particular to be honest mate I just think the stuff we sell now is horrible. That Oor Jambo stuff is embarrassing. We’ve had it for about 10y now and nobody buys it. Get rid of it. The fake lego bus. The drinks cups with the cheap printed badge in a variety of colours that are nothing to do with Hearts. The unbranded t-shirts and hoodies are crap. The kids teddies and stuff are just generic plushes with a Hearts badge stuck on them and then the price quadrupled. A Hearts measuring tape lol. There’s just so much low quality tat. 

Agreed…..my grandson likes to rummage around with all the junk on display.  I just know that every time we visit I’ll be £20 out of pocket……………the shop has got this image in my mind:

IMG_6054.jpeg

johnking123
1 hour ago, OTT said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/12102541/celtic-rangers-spfl-clubs-english-teams/

I didn't think the above link warranted a new thread, but give the topic of discussion, it seemed relevant. 

Basically, Scottish clubs are sick of English clubs coming up here and signing our best and brightest talents at 16. There is a desire to drop the age to 14 so players at that age can sign academy contracts. 

I'm not totally sure about the ethics of it (children signing contracts), but clearly there is a big problem if clubs from down south can just rock up and take whoever they want for pennies, completely cutting what many clubs are trying to do off at the knees. Billy Gilmour going for just £500k was horrendous, and we've obviously lost Euan Simpson & Marc Leonard off the top of my head, all of which could have made an impact had they stuck around. 

Anyway, if we're able to sign the youngsters on contracts a couple years earlier, it sidesteps the issues with English clubs being able to cherry pick with little we can do. Won't completely stop the problem, but might go some way to allowing us to give those young laddies a better feeling of progression and hopefully encouraging them to stay a bit longer with the club and hopefully repay the time and effort the club has put into developing up to that point. 

It is a massive problem. We could lose a couple of youngsters down south soon in fact.

Jambomuzz
21 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I would agree. If we want the football side to have more funds to grow, then we need more revenue streams. We are currently maximising every part of Tynecastle to get the most money out of it 365 days a year. And that will make a big difference. Someone on another thread said that the club are currently weighing up build a large matchday bar that includes the Big Hearts room in the Wheatfield and goes under the Roseburn (though depends on cost and Big Hearts agreeing to being moved.) To me if that is done then thats us used every part of Tynecastle.

Now the dream would be expanding Tynecastle, meaning more seats at games and more space in the stadium to add new opportunities. But given the difficulty and expense of what is required to achieve that, it is not going to happen for at least 5 years.

So question becomes what can be done? Should we buy a plot of land or building elsewhere in Edinburgh to create something to allow us to do more (though it may be expensive initially.) Do we look to create a new enterprise that is completely outside of football? Could we create (with the help of the benefactors) a Hearts investment fund, where look to find companies to provide investment into for stakes in them and with the right management make money from that. It could even look to provide investment for local community projects and similar.

I would like to see the board be bold and creative because as the club is fan owned, all the money raised from these revenue streams goes towards football team and have a diverse range of non-football related revenue streams means that if one sector gets hit (like with Covid which would hit the hotel and hospitality side) then the whole club is not damaged by it.

This is what I was meaning, business wise we arnt limited to just football, if the money is there to be invested we could do whatever we like with it to create additional revenue streams.

I think a gym is a good idea, along the same lines as pure gym, you get the PTs to run it basically in return for use of the gym to train their clients. Everyone and their granny wants to be a PT and I imagine that finding somewhere to train is hard to come by.

Whats to stop us buying a bar/restaurant in Edinburgh/glasgow/aberdeen, as long as it’s viable and makes money then it’s worth it imo. 

also what about a window cleaning company? Means we wouldn’t need to fork out 200k a year to clean the main stand aswell 👀

18 hours ago, johnking123 said:

It is a massive problem. We could lose a couple of youngsters down south soon in fact.

Thats worrying and I think just underscores the scale of the problem. The talent hoarding in English academies is beyond a joke. 

TBH FIFA should really be doing something about it to protect smaller leagues from being cut off at the knees by bigger leagues. 

Which players out of interest? We did really well to retain James Wilson, but I didn't realise there was more. 

43 minutes ago, OTT said:

Thats worrying and I think just underscores the scale of the problem. The talent hoarding in English academies is beyond a joke. 

TBH FIFA should really be doing something about it to protect smaller leagues from being cut off at the knees by bigger leagues. 

Which players out of interest? We did really well to retain James Wilson, but I didn't realise there was more. 

This. Great point. 

jamboinglasgow
57 minutes ago, OTT said:

The problem at the moment for clubs is that its to do with freedom of movement. Under FIFA rules you cant sign under 18s from another country unless the're parents were already getting a job in the new country. It was why Barcelona and a few other clubs got transfer bans a few years back.

However, this ruling does not apply to countries with freedom of movement arrangements with other countries. Hence 16 year olds can move between clubs in the EU and they can move from Ireland to the UK because of arrangements. This means that players can also move around the UK to sign.

I agree though there needs to be more done. Because it feels like slash and burn tactics from English clubs. Keep taking the best talent with little compensation, means that Scottish clubs are unable to benefit properly from developing talent. I dont think contracts from 14 for players will go through as there has been a lot scrutiny from the Scottish Parliament about youth academies in the past and I think they would see this as child exploitation. My ideal solution would be that the Premier League must pay some solidarity payments to Scottish football, and compensation fees are set at double what they are at the moment. But I would like to see FIFA put limits on the number of players clubs are allowed to register under the age of 21 (players in first team are exempt.)

Weonly151

We definitely need to use the busy times of year when tourists are visiting the city I.e June to September and maybe November and December.There is so much opportunities for people who would want to buy Hearts related merchandise. Whether that be a shop at the airport or somewhere in the busy tourist areas of town. 

johnking123
4 hours ago, OTT said:

Rocco Friel has been getting shown round academy's down south. Think there is another.

Phil D. Corners

Just an idea, but we could increase revenue by having a 5 star training ground.  By that I mean a top class training ground which other ‘big’ teams would hire when not in use, in preseason or a winter break for example. The revenue kicker here would be to tie in a friendly with said ‘big’ team. 

Of course it would also help us attract players. :lol: 

6 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

Just an idea, but we could increase revenue by having a 5 star training ground.  By that I mean a top class training ground which other ‘big’ teams would hire when not in use, in preseason or a winter break for example. The revenue kicker here would be to tie in a friendly with said ‘big’ team. 

Of course it would also help us attract players. :lol: 

I wonder how we get there though. If strings can be pulled, twisted and otherwise to get us as a part owner at Oriam, that would be a great position. 

Sounds like the club have particular demands re staying there longer, and TBH it seems silly if they won't meet us on them. 

Byyy The Light

Can we not just funnel all the FoH money into an HMFC investment fund and get Mr Anderson to work his magic?

Be a fun investment for fans to chuck their savings in to 😄

maltese jambo
On 05/03/2024 at 16:40, jamboinglasgow said:

Are we though? Food and beverage options during match day absolutely awful and vast amount of space lying empty under wheatfield stand to name but two areas for improvement.

Famous 1874

I suspect James Anderson will have a few ideas up his sleeve. He’s always pushed this “we need to be ambitious” line.

Like others have said we need to improve the food offerings are Tynecastle. If you contrast Scottish football to German football for example, you can get food after the game whereas we shut the kiosks just after half time. 

We should also be pushing for the re-introduction of alcohol at the football. We and other teams would make loads from pint sales. 

We also need to improve our player trading model. Let’s say Cochrane goes for 3 million in the summer. Who’s on the conveyer belt to replace him? Sell, re-invest and slowly increase the wage structure and the transfer fees. 

On 05/03/2024 at 19:14, johnking123 said:

I am not sure it is all that bad for Hearts or our youth. The route to PL clubs down South is not always paved with gold. Euan Simpson not getting much game time at Villa. Sure he is earning equivalent dish to Hearts first team but not no football. Hearts have an opportunity to put in place a better pathway for their elite youth. 
There were at least eight PL clubs watching at Oriam on Sat. I come from it the other way that Hearts must be doing something right. The Wilson episode last year shocked the hell out of Leeds and Villa. I think the more astute elite player at Hearts at u15 and below will see his journey as an attractive alternative option.

59 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

I suspect James Anderson will have a few ideas up his sleeve. He’s always pushed this “we need to be ambitious” line.

Like others have said we need to improve the food offerings are Tynecastle. If you contrast Scottish football to German football for example, you can get food after the game whereas we shut the kiosks just after half time. 

We should also be pushing for the re-introduction of alcohol at the football. We and other teams would make loads from pint sales. 

We also need to improve our player trading model. Let’s say Cochrane goes for 3 million in the summer. Who’s on the conveyer belt to replace him? Sell, re-invest and slowly increase the wage structure and the transfer fees. 

I really hope this tunrs out to be the case!! We seem to be constantly making good decisions off the field, and if Naismith can get the team pulling its own weight, then we'll have both sides of the football club working in tandem. It could be a recipe for huge success!!

I'm praying we see an expanded Wheatfield, could be massive for the club reaching its true potential and capitalising on this period of increased interest and pride in the club. 

9 hours ago, OTT said:

I really hope this tunrs out to be the case!! We seem to be constantly making good decisions off the field, and if Naismith can get the team pulling its own weight, then we'll have both sides of the football club working in tandem. It could be a recipe for huge success!!

I'm praying we see an expanded Wheatfield, could be massive for the club reaching its true potential and capitalising on this period of increased interest and pride in the club. 

Given the waiting list, that would be great to see.

Thomaso
On 04/03/2024 at 15:54, Jambomuzz said:

So with the completion of the Main Stand and the hotel, it got me thinking what other streams of revenue hearts could utilise. Is there anything stopping Hearts from looking beyond Tynecastle? Obviously a completely extreme example but for instance opening up a second hotel in Edinburgh somewhere? Just an example as something like this would obviously be a large investment. But what’s stopping hearts other than funds doing this or something else similar? 
Everything also needs to be balanced with investment to the playing squad. 

I think if there’s ever going to a be serious challenge then hearts need to find a way to close that financial gap in whatever way possible 

Like buying a pub chain………

Ronald Villiers

If the alcohol ban in Scottish football stadiums was to be lifted we'd have a great revenue stream.  Hopefully this gets reviewed.  

heyjude1

A couple of potential outlets within the Wheatfield are currently empty - the old bookies & curry shed. Opportunity to generate a little more income. A mini shop could be one option? 

On 05/03/2024 at 11:36, Dodger84 said:

I remember an interview with JA saying that he challenges the board in that are they thinking big enough etc. when you look at his passion for community projects and the fact that we should be looking at ways to increase the stadium capacity in the future, then we should be looking at a big project that involves the land behind the wheatfield stand. If it’s possible to work the company that owns the ethanol tanks and get them moved then it could open up all kinds of possibilities of a larger stand with top quality community facilities incorporated. This of course can lead to new revenue streams. That’s my hope 

Yeah, this has to be the future. Would hope JA web able to get council inside which is an equal challenge to squiring the land. 

Having lost out on the school land, it is really important we try to get this sorted. 

Even before we were able to rebuild the stand, we could be running a fan village like Murrayfield does for internationals. 

On 05/03/2024 at 07:46, i8hibsh said:

It has to be player sales. All the great things done so far are just that - great, the revenue from hospitality however is a fraction of what good player sales can be.

Improve our entire youth structure and our scouting network and the rewards could be endless.

It quite simply has to all be about the football now.

I dont know with this tbh . The squad stability and keeping hold of our better players has seen us perform better on the park and make prize money . Say for example we had sold Shankland last summer then we would probably not be running away with third and the likelihood of group stages cash this season , unless we used the fee to replace his goals which would be no mean feat and essentially just keep us on square one . Maybe the youth set up as you say , decent cash because they are still developing and have a high ceiling , and if we have good players coming in behind them in a sort of conveyor belt set up then that would probably be a good earner . It relies on consistent quality though