Big screen clock? Added time? 🤷

Stupidheid

Stupidheid

Anybody any idea why the time on the big screen always stops at 45 and 90 ?

Surely can't be the technology? Is it an SFA or SPFL rule? 

It's stressful enough being a Hearts fan - it would be good to see exactly how much longer until we can relax. 

...I relaxed approximately three and a half minutes into the four added minutes yesterday 😁

Sooperstar

Same on all stadium clocks around the world so must be a Fifa thing. 

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, Stupidheid said:

It's stressful enough being a Hearts fan - it would be good to see exactly how much longer until we can relax. 

...I relaxed approximately three and a half minutes into the four added minutes yesterday 😁

FIFA rule I believe. 

Ferryjambo99

It's a FIFA thing. Just wear a digital watch or use your phone timer if you really want to know

Mr Sifter

Always been the case with stadium clocks. Must be some sort of rule. You’re right tho, it’s frustrating. I can only guess it’s to protect the refs. Imagine they added four minutes, only to have two subs and a stoppage within those four minutes? We are now playing closer to six minutes added time, but can you imagine the reaction if our clock was ticking past the original 94 minutes? The whole place would be going daft. 

PortyJambo

Added time is at the referee's discretion, so the time indicated on the assistant's boards is only guidance. I assume that's why it can't be shown on the big screen, as it's up to the referee how long they add....and keep adding if it's one of the uglies.

JudyJudyJudy

Not a good idea , people would just be looking at the clock ! I’m a saddo I put my timer on my phone once extra time starts 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Mr Sifter said:

Always been the case with stadium clocks. Must be some sort of rule. You’re right tho, it’s frustrating. I can only guess it’s to protect the refs. Imagine they added four minutes, only to have two subs and a stoppage within those four minutes? We are now playing closer to six minutes added time, but can you imagine the reaction if our clock was ticking past the original 94 minutes? The whole place would be going daft. 

Good points 

PortyJambo
1 minute ago, PortyJambo said:

Added time is at the referee's discretion, so the time indicated on the assistant's boards is only guidance. I assume that's why it can't be shown on the big screen, as it's up to the referee how long they add....and keep adding if it's one of the uglies.

And, as Mr Sifter says above, they won't want a riot when the actual time goes past the indicated time!

A_A wehatethehibs

It’s probably to keep cover for the corrupt refs adding fake undeserved time on to help out Rangers if they’re drawing or losing a game.  

been here before
14 minutes ago, Ferryjambo99 said:

It's a FIFA thing. Just wear a digital watch or use your phone timer if you really want to know

Why a digital watch?

Ferryjambo99
8 minutes ago, been here before said:

Why a digital watch?

Because you can typically do a stopwatch on a digital watch. You can't do it on an analogue watch 

The Goalscoring Knee

Daily Mail ran a story at the start of this season saying it was going to change for EFL games, altho not for EPL matches. Not sure if it's actually been happening or not, tbh.

"Where technology allows" - that rules us out then, seeing as we're still using two empty baked beans tins and a length of string.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12373901/Fans-added-time-stadium-screens-end-half-EFL-matches.html

Fans attending EFL matches will be able to see the amount of added time at the end of each half on the stadium screens. 

Stadium clocks, scoreboards or giant screen timers in the EFL will now be left running until the completion of each half, which includes any additional time.

Previously, these would stop at 45 or 90 minutes, however in line with the most recent IFAB guidance, including Match Officials’ new approach to time keeping, this will now change for the upcoming season (where technology allows).

cheetah
3 minutes ago, The Goalscoring Knee said:

Daily Mail ran a story at the start of this season saying it was going to change for EFL games, altho not for EPL matches. Not sure if it's actually been happening or not, tbh.

"Where technology allows" - that rules us out then, seeing as we're still using two empty baked beans tins and a length of string.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12373901/Fans-added-time-stadium-screens-end-half-EFL-matches.html

Fans attending EFL matches will be able to see the amount of added time at the end of each half on the stadium screens. 

Stadium clocks, scoreboards or giant screen timers in the EFL will now be left running until the completion of each half, which includes any additional time.

Previously, these would stop at 45 or 90 minutes, however in line with the most recent IFAB guidance, including Match Officials’ new approach to time keeping, this will now change for the upcoming season (where technology allows).

Aye, its been going on all season, been at a few Sunderland games and the clock just keeps ticking on. 

Deffo a rule. I just set the stopclock on my watch. It’s always a minimum time added, could always be more depending on what goes on during it.

A_A wehatethehibs
6 minutes ago, Ferryjambo99 said:

Because you can typically do a stopwatch on a digital watch. You can't do it on an analogue watch 

Depends on the watch. 

Mikey1874
34 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

FIFA rule I believe. 

Avoid pressure on the referee.

A lot of games go beyond the stated added time. Every time the Old Firm need a goal as we know. Nottingham Forest v Liverpool on Saturday was a goal in 9th minute of 8 minutes added time though there had been a stoppage in added time but was still controversial due to ref giving ball to Liverpool after Forest had possession when play was stopped. 

Having the clock would have made that worse. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Midloth_Iain

Strictly speaking its "A minimum of X minutes to play"

been here before
8 minutes ago, Ferryjambo99 said:

Ah right.

So my way of looking at my analogue watch and just adding the number of minutes to the time is all wrong then.

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Not a good idea , people would just be looking at the clock ! I’m a saddo I put my timer on my phone once extra time starts 

I've done that on occasion :untitled:

:lol:

Smithian

MLS switched this year. I was at a match a couple weeks ago and appreciated realizing, aye, we're in the 99th minute of a non-competitive match with a multiple goal lead and this referee will not blow the whistle.

Great change, especially as more and more stoppage time is being added. Every league should follow.

TexasAndy

Thank F they never got a goal back yesterday.  I was in a bad enough state watching the clock from our second goal onwards.

Romfordjt

I can say that the scoreboard down at Orient shows the added time after the 90 minutes, it only started this season so must be an EFL thing and not the bigger leagues.

1 hour ago, been here before said:

Ah right.

So my way of looking at my analogue watch and just adding the number of minutes to the time is all wrong then.

Aye all the officials wear analogue watches too.

Actually maybe they do in the SPFL.

tian447

It's a daft rule, because as many people have stated here, you are more than capable of setting up a stopwatch or timer feature on your phone, or you know, just looking at the time. 

It would be more helpful if we actually got a breakdown of where added time was coming from.  5 goals and 6 separate substitutions can be 2 minutes if the Old Firm are in the lead, and no stoppages can lead to 8 minutes if they are losing. 

Referees have too much freedom to make it up as they go along, especially with VAR leading to lengthy delays. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I've done that on occasion :untitled:

:lol:

lol I’ve only started it ! I don’t like it at constantly though . 

1971fozzy
2 hours ago, Midloth_Iain said:

Strictly speaking its "A minimum of X minutes to play"

yeah that’s my take.  Perfect for the arse cheeks

been here before
2 hours ago, kila said:

Aye all the officials wear analogue watches too.

Actually maybe they do in the SPFL.

Why would what the refs wear affect my, or anyone elses, choice of watch or how we measure the time added on?

4 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

And, as Mr Sifter says above, they won't want a riot when the actual time goes past the indicated time!

Like in Paisley where in the 4 added minutes, St Mirren scored in the 96th and 97th minutes :rofl:

Stuart Lyon

Join the armchair fans; they get to see the added time ticking down! Stadium fans not good enough to have this privilege!

Doc Rob
4 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I start the stopwatch on my watch. It’s really annoying not knowing how much stoppage time there’s been.

Mikey1874
4 minutes ago, Dunks said:

Like in Paisley where in the 4 added minutes, St Mirren scored in the 96th and 97th minutes :rofl:

After 3 minute VAR review 

5 minutes ago, been here before said:

Why would what the refs wear affect my, or anyone elses, choice of watch or how we measure the time added on?

Analogue for most would take more than a very quick glance to check the remaining time compared to digital, especially if you want to check to the second and not miss what's happening. Anyway it's really not a big deal what watch someone uses to keep track of the time, just digital is more convenient 🤷‍♂️

6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

After 3 minute VAR review 

Don't spoil it FFS Mikey 😉

billybalfour

I was at Middlesboro' v PNE and the clock just kept running.Personally I think it is a good idea.I remember the good old days , before clocks, when everybody started whistling before the 90 was even up.Kind of defeats the purpose of the board going up if the clock isn't allowed to run on.

been here before
16 minutes ago, kila said:

Analogue for most would take more than a very quick glance to check the remaining time compared to digital, especially if you want to check to the second and not miss what's happening. Anyway it's really not a big deal what watch someone uses to keep track of the time, just digital is more convenient 🤷‍♂️

No really :rofl:

Daktari

I'm sad enough to have intervals of 1 - 10 minutes preset on my Apple watch. I start it for the stated minutes at full time but treat it as a guide. There's always some added on time within the added on time.  Allowing for that is probably why it shouldn't be on the stadium clock.

Ex member of the SaS

I was expecting play to continue until they had score three goals. Four minutes added but then we played 100 minutes.

Drylaw Hearts
2 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

I was expecting play to continue until they had score three goals. Four minutes added but then we played 100 minutes.

It was bang on 4 minutes added time that was played.

5 hours ago, Stupidheid said:

Do you sit in PR ? You sound like my row mate :) 

upgotheheads
6 hours ago, Ferryjambo99 said:

I always start my stopwatch at the start of each half. It helps me judge the moment when I start the descent from the back row of the Wheatfield, stopping on the way when I find an empty Isle seat. It can save 15 minutes on the long journey home.

One five

The world football organisation is waiting on h1b5 to add added time on there screens…….. after all they are always the first in football 🤔😂

Stupidheid
27 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Do you sit in PR ? You sound like my row mate :) 

No, Gorgie stand 😁   

I've watched Hearts for long enough to know it's not over til it's over 😁 

I'm not sure how I would have coped if they had announced the (10 minutes???) added time in the 98 final though😱

...anyway, interesting that it seems to be a FIFA (or SFA/SPFL?) rule, and that EFL  stadium clocks now running on beyond 45/90.  

I think most spectators realise there might be more than the announced minimum of added time.

...I think it would be better to let the clocks run on. 

43 minutes ago, Stupidheid said:

No, Gorgie stand 😁   

I've watched Hearts for long enough to know it's not over til it's over 😁 

I'm not sure how I would have coped if they had announced the (10 minutes???) added time in the 98 final though😱

...anyway, interesting that it seems to be a FIFA (or SFA/SPFL?) rule, and that EFL  stadium clocks now running on beyond 45/90.  

I think most spectators realise there might be more than the announced minimum of added time.

...I think it would be better to let the clocks run on. 

Haha , I know mate . It is just that the old fellah that sits next to me said almost exactly the same thing at the game yesterday :lol: 

Totally agree though , and I suspect the only reason there is not is because it means the referees are under a spotlight and they like to do things to suit themselves 

Ex member of the SaS

BBC reported we played 100 minutes, not at game so only going by what they said on radio.

Salvatori5

It’s not a FIFA thing.

The clocks at Old Trafford have always gone on beyond 45 and 90 for as long as I can remember.

16 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

BBC reported we played 100 minutes, not at game so only going by what they said on radio.

We played 100. There were 6 minutes added in the first half and 4 in the second.