Romanov Stories

Batistuta87

the posh bit
5 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

The absence of a solid gold statue of this man in the centre of the plaza is a disgrace. 

Agreed. 

spirt of 98
34 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

Agreed. 

This should happen. Crazy man bust the club but. Kept us at Tynie, won two cups and split the OF.

I would say he’s the most flamboyant, influential and successful chairman ever at Hearts. 

Edited by spirt of 98

the posh bit
Just now, spirt of 98 said:

This should happen. Crazy man bust the club but. Kept us at Tynie, won two cups and split the OF.

I would say he’s the most m flamboyant, influential and successful chairman ever at Hearts. 

Agreed. 

spirt of 98
Just now, the posh bit said:

Agreed. 

Despite the outcome I’d do it all again. What a time to be Hearts fan. 

the posh bit
7 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

Despite the outcome I’d do it all again. What a time to be Hearts fan. 

Me too pal, it was brilliant 😊

5 hours ago, Australis said:

He was mad, I thought he was great.

Especially him telling

5 hours ago, Australis said:

He was mad, I thought he was great.

Especially him telling our officials and football bodies that Scottish football was corrupt in favour of the Glasgow bum cheeks.

Think they still have it in for us because he called them out.

our officials and football bodies that Scottish football was corrupt in favour of the Glasgow bum cheeks.

Think they still have it in for us because he called them out.

The fact no other team had the balls to back him. Then had the audacity to complain about unfair treatment themselves still irks me. Feck them all. They had their chance to make positive change but shat it.

The White Cockade

Never forgive him for sacking Burley

Absolutely convinced we would have won the double

Birregrande

A few things:

Going to the Dominion to see the Hearts movie, champagne, maroon and white balloons, tip top premiere! 😁

Vlad demanding a teuchter shepherd sell him a sheep so he could BBQ it on the way home from an ICT game. (One of my mates told me about that one) Apparently explaining its what they do in Russia.

The song:

Vladimir Romanov

He's our owner, he's ****ing class.

He drives around in Gorgie with a wallet full of cash

He likes to pick the team and then he sends it in by fax..

He was pretty crazy, also was crazy rich at the beginning at least. He loved us though, no doubt about it, he loved being the owner of Hearts and loved mixing with the fans. Oh, and I'll just throw in that he wanted a bear wrestling stage in the entertainment bar in his new stadium. Not sure he was aware of H&S..

Edited by Birregrande
Thick fingers hitting submit..

Mikey1874

Bringing his mates for the submarine to Hampden for 2006 Cup final.

The BBC (cheating the Bosnians) documentary where he had his database of a million Brazilian players. And his wife putting up with it all.  

His picture on the clubs website with a monkey in a sun tshirt(think that’s what it was), is up there with one of the wildest things I’ve ever seen.

If there is a statue it need to be a reproduction of him standing on top of Arthur’s Seat in his full highland regalia. 

maltese jambo
4 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

Never forgive him for sacking Burley

Absolutely convinced we would have won the double

Absolutely.

Birregrande
On 28/02/2024 at 18:15, Mikey1874 said:

Bringing his mates for the submarine to Hampden for 2006 Cup final.

The BBC (cheating the Bosnians) documentary where he had his database of a million Brazilian players. And his wife putting up with it all.  

We've got submarine Commanders in our stand, in our stand - was the song of the day pre-game.. A few belters later of course..

Birregrande
Just now, Birregrande said:

We've got submarine Commanders in our stand, in our stand - was the song of the day pre-game.. thought that was 2012 though? Also the tv program - there was a bit where there was a dodgy agent trying to show him videos of a player and Vlad just chuckled and walked out the room.  He had that guy's number..

On 28/02/2024 at 15:04, WorldChampions1902 said:

Seemingly, Vlad stopped his entourage at a remote farm, on the way to an Aberdeen game and asked the farmer to slaughter one of his sheep which he wanted to BBQ in celebration of our inevitable victory, on the way home.

Old MacDonald told him to bolt! As bats##t mental as that story is, it’s seemingly true, and was covered in a story printed in one of the fitba mags at the time.

There was another one I read in a magazine when we played Caley away. Apparently Vlad went through a phase of meditation and demanded his driver stop on the A9 so he could do some. Vlad just took his shoes and socks off apparently and ****ed off into the woods for a bit.

DesertDawg

Vladimir Romanov in startling update as former Hearts supremo reveals submarine dream has left him penniless

0_0.jpg

And he spoke about his lifestyle today, after claiming he's now broke.

He said: "I lost everything, my own private bank, factories, football clubs, but I've spent the last of my money on this submarine.

"It cost me 500,000 dollars to refurbish it. That's my money gone now.

"This submarine was the one I served on 55 years ago.

"My plan was to live on it and also turn it into a tourist attraction - a fantastic museum. However, the rest of the villagers wouldn't let me do that, so I just live on it now."

Uncle Buck

Was there not a story that he wanted us to wear a green away kit? Sure it was Jim Duffy that managed to convince him last minute not to go through with it.

zeke1874

Think we played Falkirk on boxing day 2005. In the matchday programme which would usually be some sort of festive greeting etc. He went on a full rant about journalists and agents. Saying he be at the side of the road to hell bidding them farewell!! This beside a picture of him barefoot with jeans rolled up and a maroon sweater, scowling into the distance on a sand dune beach.

Phenomenal!!

zeke1874

I'd also add in all seriousness that without him, there'd be no Tynecastle any more. And I'd feel that a part of me had died. For that alone I'm willing to forgive all the utter madness and how it ended 

Hashimoto

If I remember correctly he wanted a GREEN away strip for Hearts to mirror the colours of the Lithuanian national team and the other club he owned, FB Kaunus

He was some how persuaded that this might not be a good idea! 

Fort Vallance
1 hour ago, zeke1874 said:

I'd also add in all seriousness that without him, there'd be no Tynecastle any more. And I'd feel that a part of me had died. For that alone I'm willing to forgive all the utter madness and how it ended 

Seconded.

Des Lynam

Despite how it ended when i think about him i either laugh or smile. Hope he's doing well.

12 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

Despite how it ended when i think about him i either laugh or smile. Hope he's doing well.

Same here, also with a bit of anger at some of the stuff. He meant well but was just a bit of a radge.

Would love a Scottish Football Journalist to find and interview him about his time with Hearts and what his thoughts are about us now. Be interesting to hear, especially his thoughts on VAR and the refs now :rofl: 

Not particularly interesting, but I once sat next to him on a flight to Amsterdam. We were stuck on the tarmac at Edinburgh for 4 hours due to snow and ice. He didn’t say much but was pretty agitated about potentially missing a connection to Moscow.

It was in the evening on a transfer deadline day. Hadn’t been a particularly active January by his standards. Sitting near us was Maurice Ross and I was concerned Vlad was going to twig and reach across the aisle with a contract.

Salvatori5
On 28/02/2024 at 14:39, jbee647 said:

Sacked George Burley when we were unbeaten with our best team in a generation and top of the league 

Haha what a guy..

Was only 7 years after the great 1998 side so difficult to say it was the best team in a generation.

edramone
On 02/03/2024 at 02:53, Rick James said:

There was another one I read in a magazine when we played Caley away. Apparently Vlad went through a phase of meditation and demanded his driver stop on the A9 so he could do some. Vlad just took his shoes and socks off apparently and ****ed off into the woods for a bit.

Sounds like 'I need some meditation' is a euphemism for needing a dump.

edramone

This thread got me thinking, if a statue of Vlad ever gets made what would it be? Vlad in bronze standing on a big bronze nuclear sub would definately make us the talk o the toon if not at least Europe!

5 hours ago, Salvatori5 said:

Was only 7 years after the great 1998 side so difficult to say it was the best team in a generation.

Guessing from the user name you’ve got a preference between the two!

Both great teams. I think the Burley team wins a match between the two though. I know that will be heresy to some given the royalty I the 98 side. 

The combined best XI would be something else. 

Weird that it was only seven years in between. Feels like a different footballing era. 

3 minutes ago, edramone said:

This thread got me thinking, if a statue of Vlad ever gets made what would it be? Vlad in bronze standing on a big bronze nuclear sub would definately make us the talk o the toon if not at least Europe!

Stick him in the front row of the school end, doing the shush, facing into the crowd, made of something indestructible, just to wind up the away fans. 

stick a metal detector on the turnstile for when they inevitably try to smuggle in angle grinders and cutting torches. 

Replace with a slightly bigger, even more indestructible statue periodically. 

On 01/03/2024 at 22:32, zeke1874 said:

I loved every minute of the mad Vlad journey with him but there were two sides. 
Not paying players wages is unforgivable. Did prioritise the UK ones on lower money but some of the Eastern European ones with young families, not good. 
And the point of no Tynie without him?  
Towards the end, he was fighting with the Council to speed through change of use planning consent for Tynie so it would have been easier to sell. Was something about trying to get planning permission and a building warrant (I think) done in parallel as opposed to consecutively and asked how much it would cost to bend the rules. 

Dia Liom
On 28/02/2024 at 19:01, droid said:

His picture on the clubs website with a monkey in a sun tshirt(think that’s what it was), is up there with one of the wildest things I’ve ever seen.

I'm sure there were quite a few semi-coherent rants on the old website. Wonder if they are archived anywhere, it'd be interestin to look back.

Spellczech

It was always the easy thing to say he was mad, but was he?

He was Branson-esque in his ability to garner an headline and his scattergun approach to business-empire building. Every headline he got was without publicly speaking English too... (I know a few people who believe Branson's complicated network of intercompany relationships will crash when he dies which is why he is not retired). 

Financially Hearts were actually no better or worse than when he took over - 28m in debt - but still at Tynecastle...IMO he delayed the inevitable for 7 years - we could never pay off that level of debt with the facilities we had to generate funds.

Also he recognised Hearts fans for what we proved to be...Genuinely a special bunch who have still not been matched by any other club trying to copy FOH...

Edited by Spellczech

1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

It was always the easy thing to say he was mad, but was he?

He was Branson-esque in his ability to garner an headline and his scattergun approach to business-empire building. Every headline he got was without publicly speaking English too... (I know a few people who believe Branson's complicated network of intercompany relationships will crash when he dies which is why he is not retired). 

Financially Hearts were actually no better or worse than when he took over - 28m in debt - but still at Tynecastle...IMO he delayed the inevitable for 7 years - we could never pay off that level of debt with the facilities we had to generate funds.

Also he recognised Hearts fans for what we proved to be...Genuinely a special bunch who have still not been matched by any other club trying to copy FOH...

Shame about the arrest warrant, otherwise I'm sure he'd have made a first class hospitality guest! :lol: 

Batistuta87
Posted (edited)
On 28/02/2024 at 17:04, spirt of 98 said:

I would say he’s the most flamboyant, influential and successful chairman ever at Hearts. 

If only he didn't completely mismanage our finances and make a complete mockery of the club and fans by breaking numerous promises and by hiring and firing players managers and staff left right and centre, only to pocket our record transfer fee for himself or see it absorbed into the mountain of debt he ran up paying for these players and managers; only to completely lose interest in the club and anything to do with it, and disappear off the face of the earth, leaving us with millions of pounds of debt we couldn't pay and on the absolute brink of collapse. 

Aye, what a ****ing legend. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Spellczech
16 minutes ago, OTT said:

Shame about the arrest warrant, otherwise I'm sure he'd have made a first class hospitality guest! :lol: 

Plenty of people break the law when they are trying to prevent the collapse of their House of Cards...Some are even cleverer and manage to get away with it...

Perhaps they find some patsy to take the fall (Philip Green) while they sail off into the sunset with their ill-gotten gains which should never have been allowed to be extracted from the business...Others top themselves like Maxwell. In the UK we seem to allow people to live out their lives with their luxury lifestyle (Murray) and then once they die it all comes out.

spirt of 98
4 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

If only he didn't completely mismanage our finances and make a complete mockery of the club and fans by breaking numerous promises and by hiring and firing players managers and staff left right and centre, only to pocket our record transfer fee for himself or see it absorbed into the mountain of debt he ran up paying for these players and managers; only to completely lose interest in the club and anything to do with it, and disappear off the face of the earth, leaving us with millions of pounds of debt we couldn't pay and on the absolute brink of collapse. 

Aye, what a ****ing legend. 

Clearly you never experienced the highs of the Romanov years. 

I agree he did us dirty in the end but. I still love him for the good times. 

Canscot
On 28/02/2024 at 05:07, BelgeJambo said:

Not a story, but a scary thought that he was once a nuclear submarine commander.

Just like he was a World Champion at basketball😂😉

Edited by Canscot

Birregrande
12 hours ago, CMc said:

Stick him in the front row of the school end, doing the shush, facing into the crowd, made of something indestructible, just to wind up the away fans. 

stick a metal detector on the turnstile for when they inevitably try to smuggle in angle grinders and cutting torches. 

Replace with a slightly bigger, even more indestructible statue periodically. 

I'd chuck some cash at this - if it was Rudi.

Jambo Ell

I think I may have posted this story on here before, but I randomly bumped into him, his niece and Fedetovas along the east end of Princes Street. I had scored at half-time of a Celtic game at Tynecastle rounding a future Hearts keeper Jack Hamilton  (aged 15 I think then ha ha) and as I had the video of it on my mobile, I showed it to him trying to explain what it was. They were all a bit bemused initially but then realised what I was showing them, he cheered and gave me a hug. I also asked him if maybe I could sign for Hearts and he laughed (probably nervously, not knowing what I said). 

The goal: 

Edited by Jambo Ell

34 minutes ago, Birregrande said:

I'd chuck some cash at this - if it was Rudi.

So would the Hibs fans. 

We could make it a massive electro magnet so all their cash stuck to it and use that to finance one of Robbo, and so on. 

Batistuta87
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

Clearly you never experienced the highs of the Romanov years. 

I agree he did us dirty in the end but. I still love him for the good times. 

I did; was at the cup final in 06, was at the home European games which were amazing, but he royally ****ed us when he lost interest and disappeared. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Bunny Munro

We were heading for the shit before he arrived. He saved Tynecastle, allowed us two cups, CL qualifiers, some fantastic games and memories, and then left us in the shit.

Where we would be without Vlad is terrifying.

WorldChampions1902

I was at the away leg of the Siroki Brijeg Champions League qualifier in 2006 and we only had a few hundred fans there. To help, boost our support, just before kick off, dozens of ‘infiltrators’ joined us wearing white tee shirts with some sort of Hearts supporters message on them.

It turns out that Romanov had laid on some buses at one his nearby Aluminium plants and paid for his employees to attend the game and support us!

Birregrande
22 hours ago, CMc said:

So would the Hibs fans. 

We could make it a massive electro magnet so all their cash stuck to it and use that to finance one of Robbo, and so on. 

This could work! :munny:

J.T.F.Robertson
22 hours ago, Jambo Ell said:

I think I may have posted this story on here before, but I randomly bumped into him, his niece and Fedetovas along the east end of Princes Street. I had scored at half-time of a Celtic game at Tynecastle rounding a future Hearts keeper Jack Hamilton  (aged 15 I think then ha ha) and as I had the video of it on my mobile, I showed it to him trying to explain what it was. They were all a bit bemused initially but then realised what I was showing them, he cheered and gave me a hug. I also asked him if maybe I could sign for Hearts and he laughed (probably nervously, not knowing what I said). 

The goal: 

A first ever stepover? 👍

Fort Vallance
7 hours ago, Bunny Munro said:

We were heading for the shit before he arrived. He saved Tynecastle, allowed us two cups, CL qualifiers, some fantastic games and memories, and then left us in the shit.

Where we would be without Vlad is terrifying.

100% agree.