Ellis Simms

ollie2004

ollie2004

Just watching Coventry v  Maidstone, hattrick for Simms in 35 minutes. Looks lively! Unfortunately out of our pricing structure. Still believe Shanks is netter finished  thoughts?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fozzyonthefence

• Mikey1874

• Hansel

• DalryJambo

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Shankland a better finisher but Simms was like a wrecking ball, he could take defences on by himself 

been here before

Aye he was alright I suppose

How come he's at Coventry then? From what little attention I pay to these things, I thought he was doing OK at Everton.

Spellczech

Was certainly a player that caused problems for other teams. Unfortunately we just went very good when he was with us...

Fozzyonthefence
35 minutes ago, been here before said:

How come he's at Coventry then? From what little attention I pay to these things, I thought he was doing OK at Everton.

He was on the bench at Everton, didn’t get much game time.  Think he scored 1 goal.  Sold him to Coventry for £7m

davemclaren
31 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Was certainly a player that caused problems for other teams. Unfortunately we just went very good when he was with us...

We finished third iirc. 

19/05/2012
37 minutes ago, been here before said:

Think Everton had to sell him for FFP, Coventry paid £8 million for him

the posh bit
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

We finished third iirc. 

Finished third, reached a cup final, beat Hibs in the semi. I'm old enough to know that’s more than a decent season for us. 

Fozzyonthefence
32 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

We finished 3rd and got to a cup final when he was with us but we actually weren’t that good to be fair.  I’d love to have seen him play with Shankland. 

AC Mallin_51

First few games for us I wasn’t sure but when he found his feet my god what a player. Strong, good with the ball at his feet and a good finisher too. The way he ragdolled the hibs defence for Hallidays equaliser was sublime, his goal in the semi will be his greatest moment for us but the goal at Parkhead was just utter class 

davemclaren
Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

We finished 3rd and got to a cup final when he was with us but we actually weren’t that good to be fair.  I’d love to have seen him play with Shankland. 

Good is a relative thing. 😎

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Good is a relative thing. 😎

Absolutely but there was literally zero competition for 3rd that season.  It was a good season but I don’t think we were a good team.  A lot of parallels with this season. 

FarmerTweedy
49 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Tbf, we did secure 3rd place at an absolute canter, and get to the Scottish Cup final, racking up another Hampdump derby victory along the way, having been in the Championship the previous season!  (Assuming you meant weren't very good, rather than went very good)!

davemclaren
36 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Absolutely but there was literally zero competition for 3rd that season.  It was a good season but I don’t think we were a good team.  A lot of parallels with this season. 

In the same way you can argue Celtic and Rangers aren't good teams given their limited competition. However, I'd love to be as good as that. 

By The Light..
2 hours ago, ShedBoy said:

😁

535A1005-ABA4-467D-8146-4724F05E46FC.thumb.png.4ea95e4eb571db6184771df7484ea0e7.png

Quality but can't believe that was only 14/1 i'd want over 50

how many hat trick's are there

Bazzas right boot
44 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

****ing hell.

This chestnut again.

12 minutes ago, By The Light.. said:

To be fair, Coventry are in the Championship and Maidstone are in the 6th tier! The chances of a hat-trick would be vastly increased so the odds are pap. 

stevie1874

Watched a couple of Coventry”s games and he started on bench. Seems to be playing second fiddle to other striker at the moment. Might work out not the best move,  career wise for him. 

DalryJambo
47 minutes ago, By The Light.. said:

It's no surprise bookies are minted, given they get away with odds like that!

How many random loosing bets did the poster place to get a result with just one?

Glamorgan Jambo

Good to see he’s starting to get some game time and some goals. It was interesting to hear him talk about us in January when he was struggling a bit. Almost as if he was pushing for another loan.

AlimOzturk
6 hours ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Good to see he’s starting to get some game time and some goals. It was interesting to hear him talk about us in January when he was struggling a bit. Almost as if he was pushing for another loan.

Would love it to happen tbh. Would be amazing foil for Shankland. Then two would be lethal up front. 

Wee Mikey
6 hours ago, DalryJambo said:

It's no surprise bookies are minted, given they get away with odds like that!

How many random loosing bets did the poster place to get a result with just one?

Have you noticed that gamblers only ever highlight their wins?

In my experience, people who indulge in gambling, miraculously, "come out about even", or whatever.

However, we all know the real outcome ... more often than not.

In the case of Bet365, the real outcome results in the example below, and that's just one person's remuneration.

Jaw-dropping, or what?

Screenshot_20240227_072123_Google.jpg

DalryJambo
1 hour ago, Wee Mikey said:

In my experience, people who indulge in gambling, miraculously, "come out about even", or whatever.

In the case of Bet365, the real outcome results in the example below, and that's just one person's remuneration.

Jaw-dropping, or what?

One of my school friends, who i dont really see much of now (but is in a WhatsApp group of school friends) reasonably regularly posts these really random 'wins'. Big 10 game accumulators or random score wins - like 5-3s or 5 - 1s. Always high odds but low stakes. So it might be stuff like 150 to 1 plus odds. He puts a £1 or £2 on the bet. What I don't know is how many other bets did he have on...was this 1 of 20 variations of high score lines for that game (and is he taking this approach everday?). He obviously only posts these big wins. I have no idea about if its an issue. I've privately mentioned it and he's brushed it off, and I've spoken to a few other people in the group and they think the same as me. Its a bit worrying, but we're not close enough to really know what's going on.

For me it's an industry that was never meant of the digital age. Smartphones, digital banking and lax lending rules have made this a ticking time bomb for far to many people.

I'm a bit hard line on this sort of stuff, but I think gambling should be banned completely, credit cards should have much tighter regulations and much lower credit limits, short term 'buy now pay pay later' leanding should be band. All cars should be limited to about 80 miles per hour, food sold in shops should be controlled more in terms of quality of ingredients and the levels of fat, salt and sugar and takeaway places should be massively limited on the high Street. You hear about people having takeaway for 4 or 5 nights a week!!! 

Ironically, I'd change the bevi rules as well....last order times need to be extended (does my head in when a pub closes at 11ish) and for some reason it really pisses me off that I can't buy beer in the supermarket early on a Sunday morning. If that's when I do my weekly shop let me buy what I want ffs!!!

Sorry, rants over. 

TexasAndy

Given the opportunity would anyone swap Shankland for Simms?  Basing that on current contract situation with Shanks and the proviso we could get Simms for at least 3 years.  I know it not going to happen but it came in to my thoughts last night.  I would take the swap based on relative ages and the fact Shanks is unlikely to sign an extension with us.

We_are_the_Hearts
5 minutes ago, DalryJambo said:

One of my school friends, who i dont really see much of now (but is in a WhatsApp group of school friends) reasonably regularly posts these really random 'wins'. Big 10 game accumulators or random score wins - like 5-3s or 5 - 1s. Always high odds but low stakes. So it might be stuff like 150 to 1 plus odds. He puts a £1 or £2 on the bet. What I don't know is how many other bets did he have on...was this 1 of 20 variations of high score lines for that game (and is he taking this approach everday?). He obviously only posts these big wins. I have no idea about if its an issue. I've privately mentioned it and he's brushed it off, and I've spoken to a few other people in the group and they think the same as me. Its a bit worrying, but we're not close enough to really know what's going on.

For me it's an industry that was never meant of the digital age. Smartphones, digital banking and lax lending rules have made this a ticking time bomb for far to many people.

I'm a bit hard line on this sort of stuff, but I think gambling should be banned completely, credit cards should have much tighter regulations and much lower credit limits, short term 'buy now pay pay later' leanding should be band. All cars should be limited to about 80 miles per hour, food sold in shops should be controlled more in terms of quality of ingredients and the levels of fat, salt and sugar and takeaway places should be massively limited on the high Street. You hear about people having takeaway for 4 or 5 nights a week!!! 

Ironically, I'd change the bevi rules as well....last order times need to be extended (does my head in when a pub closes at 11ish) and for some reason it really pisses me off that I can't buy beer in the supermarket early on a Sunday morning. If that's when I do my weekly shop let me buy what I want ffs!!!

Sorry, rants over. 

Whats your rationale for banning gambling altogether and not drinking? Is it because YOU enjoy a few drinks?

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Given the opportunity would anyone swap Shankland for Simms?  Basing that on current contract situation with Shanks and the proviso we could get Simms for at least 3 years.  I know it not going to happen but it came in to my thoughts last night.  I would take the swap based on relative ages and the fact Shanks is unlikely to sign an extension with us.

Nah, if we're doing hypothetical swaps for players we can't afford I'm taking Haaland.

DalryJambo
10 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Whats your rationale for banning gambling altogether and not drinking? Is it because YOU enjoy a few drinks?

I'm not saying there's any logic to this, or in fact that I'm right. I also agree that drinking can ruin many lives as well.

But (in my opinion) with lax regulation around leanding and 24 hour access to online betting it ruins lives. I'm also tight and hate losing money.

If people couldn't borrow to fund their gambling then I'd maybe be less concerned, but you hear of people losing everything, including their family home, racking up thousands and thousands of pounds they don't have. Sometimes turning to theft to sort it all out. You can lose hundreds of pounds you don't have in a click of a button. That can't be right? 

Edited by DalryJambo

AlphonseCapone
10 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

This is the sort of chat other supporters come out with to put us down, mental to see it from a Hearts fan. You can only beat what is in front of you, ask the old firm.

AlphonseCapone
4 minutes ago, DalryJambo said:

I'm not saying there's any logic to this, or in fact that I'm right. I also agree that drinking can ruin many lives as well.

But (in my opinion) with lax regulation around leanding and 24 hour access to online betting it ruins lives. I'm also tight and hate losing money.

If people couldn't borrow to fund their gambling then I'd maybe be less concerned, but you hear of people losing everything, including their family home, racking up thousands and thousands of pounds they don't have. Sometimes turning to theft to sort it all out. You can lose hundreds of pounds in a click of a button.

All your reasonings apply to alcohol as much as gambling. But you've already said none of this is based on logic. You obviously hate gambling. And I can't blame you, it does absolutely ruin some lives. But tougher laws would be my approach rather than outright ban. Get all these adverts on TV during sports gone for a start.

We_are_the_Hearts
3 minutes ago, DalryJambo said:

If people couldn't borrow to fund their gambling then I'd maybe be less concerned, but you hear of people losing everything, including their family home, racking up thousands and thousands of pounds they don't have. Sometimes turning to theft to sort it all out. You can lose hundreds of pounds you don't have in a click of a button. That can't be right? 

You are not allowed to gamble on Credit Cards any more and there are a lot of regulations that werent in place before, like anything in life it comes down to self control IMO, loads of people enjoy all these things in moderation so why punish them. There is enough "rules" appearing that are taking away peoples freedom of choice.

Posting about gambling wins isn’t much different from us giving it big licks after a win against the Weegies. Doesn’t happen very often but damn right folk are going to hear about it.

Anyway, back on topic, loved Simms. Always think, if only the Big Fella’s (pretty much) last touch for Hearts had went the other side of the post. If we’d taken a lead early that day, who knows? Then again, if my aunt had baws she’d still be my uncle, despite what many seem to think in the 21st century. 

34 minutes ago, DalryJambo said:

Sorry, rants over. 

Or, people could just be a bit more responsible 🤷🏻‍♂️ Fools and their money are easily parted and they'll always find new ways to do so.

On Simms - excellent player. I really thought we'd get him for a bout 1.5m and push the boat out to do so and land ourselves a bargain. Miles out in the end

Edited by Taffin

DalryJambo
1 minute ago, AlphonseCapone said:

All your reasonings apply to alcohol as much as gambling. But you've already said none of this is based on logic. You obviously hate gambling. And I can't blame you, it does absolutely ruin some lives. But tougher laws would be my approach rather than outright ban. Get all these adverts on TV during sports gone for a start.

Well, alcohol abuse is more a long slow demise. There's a limit to how much of a financial mess you can get yourself into, and it probably takes longer for it to happen.  People probably don't end up in massive, massive debt due to drink alone.

That said a ruined life is a ruined life. I'd be interested to understand how many people get themselves into real bother with gambling vs drinking. 

I also agree that advertising for gambling should be treated in the same way smoking is. My feelings towards alcohol is less hardline, but the culture of drinking in this country is wild. There's a few good articles been written about how for people of my age (teenager in the 90s) alcohol has been central to everything we do....holidays, football games, uni, work nights out, weddings, birthdays, funerals, most celebrations. It has a crazy influence on so much of many people's lives.

Harry Potter
10 hours ago, tian447 said:

To be fair, Coventry are in the Championship and Maidstone are in the 6th tier! The chances of a hat-trick would be vastly increased so the odds are pap. 

good point.

DalryJambo
12 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Or, people could just be a bit more responsible 🤷🏻‍♂️ Fools and their money are easily parted and they'll always find new ways to do so.

On Simms - excellent player. I really thought we'd get him for a bout 1.5m and push the boat out to do so and land ourselves a bargain. Miles out in the end

I can resist anything but temptation!! I'm not sure why i have this feeling towards gambling. I've never been impact by it myself or my family.

Got a feeling Simms will be similar to Jimmy Dunne in that we had them for 6 months and made a brilliant impact, then for years to come we'll be talking about them wondering if there's a chance they'll ever return to the club. 

Sadly can't see either player coming back here.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
2 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

Jaw-dropping, or what?

I think that's just addicts trying to convince themselves that their losing streaks are outweighed by the few wins.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, DalryJambo said:

Sorry, rants over. 

I agree. Advertising should definitely be banned, as with anything they need to say should be done in moderation.

12 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Shankland a better finisher but Simms was like a wrecking ball, he could take defences on by himself 

Imagine if we had them both in our side at the same time.

11 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

That was a decent Hearts side, but a very small squad cost us in the end. The team we put out for that final had at least three injured players, even a huns team which had played 120 minutes late on the Wednesday looked fitter than us!

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

This is the sort of chat other supporters come out with to put us down, mental to see it from a Hearts fan. You can only beat what is in front of you, ask the old firm.

You think that was a good Hearts team?  I don’t agree.  Yes, you can only beat what is in front of you but we didn’t even have to do that all that consistently to get 3rd.  I’m not putting down Hearts, I’m putting down Scottish football, the standard is pish and seems to deteriorate almost year on year (we finished 13 points clear of 4th place even though we only had 61 points).  As I said, a good season but with a no more than efficient team. 

Fozzyonthefence
5 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

That was a decent Hearts side, but a very small squad cost us in the end. The team we put out for that final had at least three injured players, even a huns team which had played 120 minutes late on the Wednesday looked fitter than us!

That was key in the final but Neilson had to risk them because the alternatives weren’t good enough.  I think we had Boyce, Devlin and Halkett just back from injury (or was it Souttar or both of them?). 

Fozzyonthefence

Sorry, rants over. 

Strange, you’re almost advocating a nanny state there but want to make it easier for people to drink more!  I’m pretty sure alcohol ruins a lot more lives than gambling does.  Personally I like a drink and I enjoy a gamble, so I like to have that choice.  I think you’ve got a point about credit cards though. 

Ex member of the SaS

Sorry, rants over. 

Why do you care so much over a random stranger that can't use self control? As others have stated there are far more harmful issues you skip over too.

I would ban knitting or golf, see it's easy when you don't do a certain activity.

AlphonseCapone
2 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

You think that was a good Hearts team?  I don’t agree.  Yes, you can only beat what is in front of you but we didn’t even have to do that all that consistently to get 3rd.  I’m not putting down Hearts, I’m putting down Scottish football, the standard is pish and seems to deteriorate almost year on year (we finished 13 points clear of 4th place even though we only had 61 points).  As I said, a good season but with a no more than efficient team. 

See, on the bolded, I don't think you can put down one without putting down the other. Obviously the quality of our teams and the league will fluctuate but I honestly don't think the standard is that bad. Or actually maybe the standard isn't great but the entertainment value is definitely good. English premier league games are technically excellent but my god are they dull as dishwater. 

Fozzyonthefence
25 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

See, on the bolded, I don't think you can put down one without putting down the other. Obviously the quality of our teams and the league will fluctuate but I honestly don't think the standard is that bad. Or actually maybe the standard isn't great but the entertainment value is definitely good. English premier league games are technically excellent but my god are they dull as dishwater. 

That’s probably fair and whoever is 3rd is generally just better than a bad bunch below them.  I suppose from year to year the standard will fluctuate but decade over decade it has been deteriorating for a while now.  Rangers and Celtic are nowhere near the levels they were at in the late 80’s, 90s and neither are we.  Internationally we have also been in decline although that has picked up in the last few years but of course that is not dependent on a strong national league (see Republic of Ireland for evidence). 

Iirc our league is around 9th / 10th in the coefficient?  Thanks to almost solely a good run from Rangers.  That’s us peaked / in a false position, we can only go down from there unless Rangers and Celtic can regularly perform better in Europe. 

As for saying the English games are dull as ditchwater that’s a sweeping generalisation!  I don’t have a plastic English team but I have Sky and watch some games and there are some fantastic English games, as well as some absolute bore fests.  How many great games do you see in the SPFL?

Edited by Fozzyonthefence