Murrayfield Sports Bar

Chaps

Polonia Gorgie

Well I'm a wee bit gutted with this news, I've had tonnes of awesome nights in there, I used to take my son there before every home game for a juice n game of pool until he started going with his pals

AlimOzturk

Housing crisis which has literally been declared as an emergency but let’s build more temporary homes for students. 

How the **** they get away with this profiteering is beyond me. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

jamboinglasgow
Just now, AlimOzturk said:

Housing crisis but let’s build more temporary homes for students. 

The argument seems to be, more student accommodation means that it opens up normal flats to people. I would interested to see if that is actually true as it sounds like the kind of thing that makes sense on paper but in reality student behaviour is very different on where they stay.

But the amount of student flats being built in Edinburgh and Glasgow is mental, I follow a twitter account which automatically updates new building developments and every second one is to build student flats.

Not a lot of pubs in the area that will let kids in on match days. Really poor news to find out another one is about to be pulled down in favour of a development the city doesn't need.

4 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Housing crisis which has literally been declared as an emergency but let’s build more temporary homes for students. 

1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

The argument seems to be, more student accommodation means that it opens up normal flats to people. I would interested to see if that is actually true as it sounds like the kind of thing that makes sense on paper but in reality student behaviour is very different on where they stay.

But the amount of student flats being built in Edinburgh and Glasgow is mental, I follow a twitter account which automatically updates new building developments and every second one is to build student flats.

Meanwhile,

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/councils-500-affordable-homes-a-year-staggeringly-short-of-target-4528927

AlimOzturk
4 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Should be building affordable homes than relying on private sector to provide homes. 

People can’t afford them. 

Is Eddie going to lose his garage to this as well or is it just the sports bar?

All roads lead to Gorgie
5 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Not exactly next to the universities...

I agree although some might argue that it brings some spending power into the area although students are not exactly known for spending a lot unless it involves beer 😉 and that's one less hostelry to go to. 

Maybe the old Royal Infirmary, right next to the Uni should have been student accommodation instead of flats for the mega rich but profit is everything again for developers!

jamboinglasgow
1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

Should be building affordable homes than relying on private sector to provide homes. 

Yeah there has been a reluctance to build new homes by the public sector.

One thing worth noting is that over the next few years there is going to a large increase in residential houses/flats in the West of the city, around the airport there is some massive developments that due to be built so at least provide some housing (whether it is affordable enough I am not sure.) 

My old local when it was Westfield Mr q's, some crazy times back then.  Sad to see it go and even sadder they are building even more student flats.  Every spare bit of land in the city getting these nowadays

That’s a real shame. Usually go there before games when the weather is better as has a bit of outside space. 

Edited by GinRummy

fabienleclerq

With more hospitality space in the Main stand I wonder if Hearts can capitalise on things like this. Gorgie suite into a big fans zone/bar and shift the gorgie hospitality to the main.

PaddysBar
1 hour ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

Well I'm a wee bit gutted with this news, I've had tonnes of awesome nights in there, I used to take my son there before every home game for a juice n game of pool until he started going with his pals

Me too. We still take the kids there pre match. 

It’s a bit rough and ready but good for kids and watching the football. Staff are great and there’s plenty of them on match date. 

upgotheheads

There will be F-all left of the real Edinburgh at this rate.  It should have been made a grade-one listed building years ago, and maybe Diggers should be made one too.

45 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

With more hospitality space in the Main stand I wonder if Hearts can capitalise on things like this. Gorgie suite into a big fans zone/bar and shift the gorgie hospitality to the main.

I'd be surprised if the club decided to forfeit a hospitality suite to create a fans bar in the Gorgie.

Chuck Berry
53 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Yah! More student housing

:yas:

I was worried we were going to run short :vrface:

Ricardo Quaresma

Aren't they doing this to get round planning permission rules which prevent them building flats, but allows the student flats to be 'converted' into flats after 5/10 years anyway?

Reeks of brown envelopes too

council not building any flats either

-

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma

2 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Owners can make more out of air bnb year round than having students in and out at holiday times. They’re not interested in affordable private lets. 

Forza Cuore
14 minutes ago, Gorgierools said:

Used to be some top rippers at lunchtime,way back in the non PC early 80s.

Aye. A lunchtime haunt of some BT workers seemingly 👀😎

2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18911566.alex-salmond-pllan-scotlands-recovery-post-covid/

I know we're in the Terrace, so not a political plug - thats shed territory. But Salmond was pushing for a National House Builder that would have a target of 10k homes a year. I think its genuinely a really good idea, it would create jobs and hopefully within 10-20 years solve or significantly alleviate the housing crisis. 

I think much more could be done, punishing 2nd home owners and making it undesirable to let could be viable options. Perhaps even forcing Uni's to take ownership of their students, binning student excemption for council tax if not in Uni accomodation? Stuff like that. Right to buy ending in 2016 was years too late to head the problem off, but at least they aren't operating with a leaky ship (in terms of losing more and more council houses via right to buy). 

Shame the bar is closing for more ****ing student accomodation. Needs limited how much can be built. Its wholly out of control and residents are being priced out. 

Edited by OTT

JudyJudyJudy

Really angry at this news . It’s never ending student accom In the Gorgie / Dalry / Fountainpark area . It’s loses its sense of any community . Been to that pub loads and it was great on sunny days / nights outside too . As others noted the social housing crisis ! FFS 

The new West End
1 hour ago, Forza Cuore said:

Aye. A lunchtime haunt of some BT workers seemingly 👀😎

It's now entering its last furlong

Edited by The new West End

il Duce McTarkin

Was a local of mine when I lived around the corner. Some mental times in there.

jack D and coke
10 hours ago, gar jambo said:

It's happening every where! Jocks  lodge a land mark this is happening to 

New Yorker at Jocks Lodge has been sold for student flats too I believe. 
Is that what you meant?

11 hours ago, OTT said:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18911566.alex-salmond-pllan-scotlands-recovery-post-covid/

I know we're in the Terrace, so not a political plug - thats shed territory. But Salmond was pushing for a National House Builder that would have a target of 10k homes a year. I think its genuinely a really good idea, it would create jobs and hopefully within 10-20 years solve or significantly alleviate the housing crisis. 

I think much more could be done, punishing 2nd home owners and making it undesirable to let could be viable options. Perhaps even forcing Uni's to take ownership of their students, binning student excemption for council tax if not in Uni accomodation? Stuff like that. Right to buy ending in 2016 was years too late to head the problem off, but at least they aren't operating with a leaky ship (in terms of losing more and more council houses via right to buy). 

Shame the bar is closing for more ****ing student accomodation. Needs limited how much can be built. Its wholly out of control and residents are being priced out. 

For over 10 years OH and I worked in different parts of the country (over 100 miles apart) and so we had 2 small flats.  That’s done & now we’re in the same place.  I’ve kept my wee flat on - should I be ‘punished’ for this?  I can say without hesitation that, because of its location, it would be turned into an Air BnB (every other flat in the block has become one)

We’ve worked hard all our lives.  Deserve to be ‘punished’ for it though.

RustyRightPeg

What a pile of shite this is. 

Go there before most games. 

3 hours ago, FWJ said:

For over 10 years OH and I worked in different parts of the country (over 100 miles apart) and so we had 2 small flats.  That’s done & now we’re in the same place.  I’ve kept my wee flat on - should I be ‘punished’ for this?  I can say without hesitation that, because of its location, it would be turned into an Air BnB (every other flat in the block has become one)

We’ve worked hard all our lives.  Deserve to be ‘punished’ for it though.

Yes, I'd probably tax you specifically a little extra too :P 

In all seriousness, I was more interested in making the house builder point, having houses up and down the country lying empty isn't great and if there are steps to encourage those houses to be free'd up then I don't think that is a terrible idea. At least until the housing crisis as it is is firmly under control. 

• 3 weeks later...
Jim_Duncan
1 hour ago, The new West End said:

Sure I read it got knocked back

Won't take much for the SG to overturn any local council decision, as they so often do.

hmfcbilly

Genuine question...are they extending the uni's to accommodate these extra students or is there an actual shortage on affordable student digs in the city?

I P Knightley
53 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

Genuine question...are they extending the uni's to accommodate these extra students or is there an actual shortage on affordable student digs in the city?

My lad who's studying there says that the rush to get your digs is crazy. Admittedly, it's a sample of one (plus his buddies) but I also think that unis have increased their intakes post Covid and the disruption that caused to exam results and timings of applications. 

I P Knightley
On 22/02/2024 at 18:11, brownkg said:

Is Eddie going to lose his garage to this as well or is it just the sports bar?

I hope not. A lovelier man and a more fanatical motoring enthusiast you'll be unlikely to meet. 

brownkg
11 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I hope not. A lovelier man and a more fanatical motoring enthusiast you'll be unlikely to meet. 

Yes totally agree I have known him for 50 odd years but I have no idea how big the footprint of the bar is and whether it is viable without the corner site.

PaddysBar

I was chatting to the manager after the Celtic game and she confirmed it’s staying open as the planning application had been rejected. 

Great news. 

frankblack
38 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

I was chatting to the manager after the Celtic game and she confirmed it’s staying open as the planning application had been rejected. 

Great news. 

They will keep trying until it is pushed through.

Nucky Thompson
6 hours ago, frankblack said:

They will keep trying until it is pushed through.

If it's been rejected on an environment/flood issue, I can't see how any change of plans can push it through