Genero Zeefuik

Roman1874

Oh jeez. Captain Question Mark is probably ripping the heid aff it in Hamilton as I type, at the mere thought of Zeefuik coming back. 

30 minutes ago, tian447 said:

He properly pissed the Championship, it was all just so effortless and it all seemed to come off for him.  It's hard to tell how he would have fared in the top flight, but the season we came up seen us playing some really good stuff, so I highly doubt he would have been out of his depth.  There really isn't that huge a gulf between the Championship and (at least) the bottom half of the Premiership.  Bear in mind, we also had Hibs and Rangers kicking about with us whilst he was strolling around at the tail end of that season.

People joke about the size of him, but it's very clear he was talented.  He 100% made the wrong career choice and should have stayed with us for at least another season, but these things happen in football.  It's also not as cut and dry as people make it out to be; he was only on loan with us and Groningen wanted a transfer fee of about £300,000+ at the time IIRC, which was spare cash we did not have, especially considering we had just come out of administration the year before.  Reading a bit more into his Wikipedia page, it sounds like Groningen were a bit pissy about him in other ways, as they blocked his international call up for Suriname as well.  

Hard to tell if he would have kicked on with us, or if his struggles with mental health would have eased off or continued had he stayed for longer.  You just never know what someone is dealing with, and scoring goals for Hearts might not have been a solution to what was going on in his mind.

There was a thread on here about Cult Heroes the other week.  Zeefuik is a textbook example of it for us.  Came in for half a season, smashed in 12 goals in 15 games, scored a 3 minute hat-trick in a 10-0 demolition job, was part of a team that won the league before Easter, and disappeared off into the sunset a few months later.  If he ever came back for a half-time appearance or hospitality cameo, I'm sure it would raise the roof.

He really did, one of the most naturally gifted goalscorers we've ever seen in maroon. I think if he'd stayed, I don't think him hitting 20 would have been an outragous ask. He was scoring goals for fun and even scored twice against Rangers - which had a team that looked a pretty bogstandard side that you might find in the top flight.  As you say, there isn't a huge gulf between the bottom end top flight teams and top end championship teams. 

Its really bordering on upsetting that we didn't get to see what might have been if he'd been able to stay here. I hear what you're saying about his mental health and I think with the right sort of structure and environment the clubs can do an awful lot to support the player. Lafferty I think did himself a huge favour by coming here, and I think Rangers under Gerrard managed Morelos really well. No doubt plenty of other examples kicking about too. I genuinely believe we have some top, top people at the club (in terms of genuinely good people), I think Clare Cowan has had bags of praise from players in helping them get adjusted. Its really frustrating to think that we'd probably have been the best club for him on many different levels. Hell, he could have been in England within a couple of years of having joined us. He was THAT talented. 

To see him at 33 having not had a club for 7 years and his career effectively having been over about 18 months after leaving us is genuinely so gutting. I'd probably have taken him back right up to 2020. 

I hope the club do invite him back at some point for a hospitality appearance or half time appearance. You're spot on, it would raise the roof. 

Here's the chap to get him back for us..............................

back to the future GIF

4 hours ago, Chimp said:

You've no idea if he fought for a move or not, you're just guessing. To say that it's the biggest mistake in his career is a wild shout when it's based on pure assumption. I'm sure I read at the time we couldn't afford to pay what Groningen wanted for him, nothing to do with Zeefuik himself not wanting to be here.

Agree with the rest of your post though.

You're right, there is no way of knowing except from the man himself @JoelHeartsStandard do your thing plssss! :lol: (seriously though, I do think that would be an interesting article)

I was just trying to make the point that if a player has tunnel vision to go to a certain club that isn't a rival (because lets face it, Gronigen didn't care where he went) then there is likely to be scope to do a deal. £300k isn't a huge amount of money, we spent money to bring Gavin Reilly & John Souttar here, and although Juanma was on a free, I get the impression that he was on a decent wedge given the fanfare around when we signed him. There was money to spend. 

Oh what could have been :oldsad:

Bunny Munro

I thought it was reported at the time Robbie/CL passed on him and went for Juanma instead. I didn't think the issue was Zeefuik choosing elsewhere.

Benny Klack
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Would love to hear from fans who were at Dumbarton, when he made his debut.

The sign of this big fat bassa strolling out must have been a WTF moment.

Did it not end 0-0?

Loved the big guy, his control and scoring was fantastic.

Think the 0-0 game was in the September before he arrived. 

We won and he scored when we went back post New Year 

17 minutes ago, Norm said:

Oh jeez. Captain Question Mark is probably ripping the heid aff it in Hamilton as I type, at the mere thought of Zeefuik coming back. 

I think he has another 2 accounts at least.😆

47 minutes ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

His son currently plays for AZ Alkmaar. And I believe he's now a coach.

His brother 

2 hours ago, innerjambo said:

Did enjoy his time with us though. He certainly knew where the onion bag was!!

And the crisp bag

And the biscuit tin

And the sweetie jar

spirt of 98
22 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

Isn't he Finnish?

No he’s not Finished he’s only 28 🤣😂😂

18 hours ago, Benny Klack said:

Think the 0-0 game was in the September before he arrived. 

We won and he scored when we went back post New Year 

I was at that game, we ended up pumping Dumbarton, he might of good a hat trick that game? Shocking weather, pouring down…. Dumbarton player pleading with the ref to abandon the match..

Bazzas right boot
18 hours ago, Bunny Munro said:

I thought it was reported at the time Robbie/CL passed on him and went for Juanma instead. I didn't think the issue was Zeefuik choosing elsewhere.

It was a fairly big fee that was required iirc.

JoelHeartsStandard
22 hours ago, OTT said:

You're right, there is no way of knowing except from the man himself @JoelHeartsStandard do your thing plssss! :lol: (seriously though, I do think that would be an interesting article)

I was just trying to make the point that if a player has tunnel vision to go to a certain club that isn't a rival (because lets face it, Gronigen didn't care where he went) then there is likely to be scope to do a deal. £300k isn't a huge amount of money, we spent money to bring Gavin Reilly & John Souttar here, and although Juanma was on a free, I get the impression that he was on a decent wedge given the fanfare around when we signed him. There was money to spend. 

Oh what could have been :oldsad:

He's on the list!

Psychedelicropcircle
On 21/02/2024 at 13:13, Roman1874 said:

But he’s only 33? Didn’t realise he had retired. 

He looked like he enjoyed a pie or two tbf.

Marooned In Oz
On 21/02/2024 at 13:04, Roman1874 said:

Remember this guy, wish he stayed longer than one season.

would anyone take him back given the chance? Potential shankland replacement. 

Next level trolling.  Bravo

Section Q
On 21/02/2024 at 23:07, King prawn said:

He retired 7 years ago didn’t he ?

edit - retired in 2020.

Must be about 150 kgs by now.....!

4 hours ago, Dia Liom said:

Loved the 2-2 v rangers 😁 

Me too, *******s could have ruined our title party :lol: 

That penalty call after their first goal is ****ing outragous btw, absolute stonewaller, but typical fashion Scottish refs don't give penalties against Rangers... 

Colquhoun76

Just finished watching our last game of championship season v rangers (great memories,every one of that team is a hero),earlier tonigh.Then I saw this thread. Absolutely loved that season. Zeefuik coming on and scoring two goals to level for us in the last 10 minutes. Really wanted him to stay but there definitely was something about us not being able to afford what Groningen were asking,and I'm sure that was the main reason he didn't stay.  Also there were rumours about his mental health struggles at the time. Even though he was banging in goals for us he didn't seem that happy.

August Landmesser
On 21/02/2024 at 13:04, Roman1874 said:

Remember this guy, wish he stayed longer than one season.

would anyone take him back given the chance? Potential shankland replacement. 

You don't happen to live in Hamilton do you?

1 hour ago, OTT said:

That penalty call after their first goal is ****ing outragous btw, absolute stonewaller, but typical fashion Scottish refs don't give penalties against Rangers... 

A tale as old as time.  Horrible cheating arseholes who are given a helping hand at every opportunity.  Imagine that happened at the other end?  There would be a sonic boom as the referee took the red card out of their pocket. 

And some posters on here ****ing sympathise with them. 

feedthefox
1 hour ago, OTT said:

"A TOUCH from Bell" 😂

He scored 3 goals in as many minutes in our 10-0 demolition of Cowdenbeath.  12 goals in 15 appearances over all in the league.  We were always looking for another 20 goal a season striker after Robbo left, and being a smart arse using stats I could say that Genero averaged 28.8 goals a season for us.  Even Robbo couldn't match that, but Shanks is getting close.

gregzy2k7

He was a big boy, 

No stranger to a fish supper,

But he certainly knew where the onion bag was!! 

I always remember his double against Rangers at tynie in the last game of that season.

Gundermann

Newly discovered highlights of Genero dealing with the Huns defence in yon 2-2 end of the Championship season game...

Bazzas right boot
On 23/02/2024 at 10:39, JJ93 said:

I think we'll always wonder why we didn't keep him and what if we did. 

Nah, we finished 3rd after promotion. 

Watt-Zeefuik
On 23/02/2024 at 05:39, JJ93 said:

I think we'll always wonder why we didn't keep him and what if we did. 

His balance was exquisite. I don't think his parent club let him go, and then his agent took him to Turkey. Really should have taken the pay cut and come back to Edinburgh. The number of absolute wallopers who couldn't see past his waistline to see his absolutely exquisite balance and touch. The only other player in my time as a Hearts fan with that level of control on his touch is Shankland.

Absolutely loved his late brace as a sub in the 2-2. Wiped that stupid shit-eating grin off Miller's face in a hurry, didn't he? Loved him absolutely ragdolling Nicky Law in the snow game.

As my username suggests, I still think bringing him back as a striking pair with Tony Watt would have been worth it for the lolz. And he would have scored a whole lot more goals than Watt for that matter.

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Nah, we finished 3rd after promotion. 

After Sow left we spent the next few seasons searching for a quality striker. Lafferty wasn't bad but Zeefuik absolutely could have helped and would have been a dramatic improvement over Offsides and Watt. Third was a great achievement considering where we'd started from but with big Z we might have had a chance at second in those seasons.

colinmaroon

One of the great "what ifs" for Hearts.   I agree it was a great shame, not only for us but for Zeefuik.  I think his career would have been extended and his health improved.   

Money isn't everything, something I hope Shankland is aware of.

Tommy Brown
On 22/02/2024 at 23:19, JJ93 said:

image.thumb.png.7bda0998f36489156e364d03b314c048.png

Noice. 

That league was 2014/15.

Ten years come summer

4 now (soon 3) in Premiership

Raith the only in the current Championship

3 in Div 1, 1 in Div 2 and 1 in Lowland

Today's boring post by TB

Tune in again tomorrow.

Tokyo Drifter
On 21/02/2024 at 13:13, Roman1874 said:

But he’s only 33? Didn’t realise he had retired. 

Loved him to bits but has a big lad even then & I can't imagine he's kept to a strict fitness regime over the last decade ... 

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

His balance was exquisite. I don't think his parent club let him go, and then his agent took him to Turkey. Really should have taken the pay cut and come back to Edinburgh. The number of absolute wallopers who couldn't see past his waistline to see his absolutely exquisite balance and touch. The only other player in my time as a Hearts fan with that level of control on his touch is Shankland.

Absolutely loved his late brace as a sub in the 2-2. Wiped that stupid shit-eating grin off Miller's face in a hurry, didn't he? Loved him absolutely ragdolling Nicky Law in the snow game.

As my username suggests, I still think bringing him back as a striking pair with Tony Watt would have been worth it for the lolz. And he would have scored a whole lot more goals than Watt for that matter.

After Sow left we spent the next few seasons searching for a quality striker. Lafferty wasn't bad but Zeefuik absolutely could have helped and would have been a dramatic improvement over Offsides and Watt. Third was a great achievement considering where we'd started from but with big Z we might have had a chance at second in those seasons.

Nah, not for me.

I've never thought " what if" regarding big Z.

He had pancreas problems, which is what caused his weight issues. He spoke about that and the impact being slating for his size had on his mental health when he retired at 27. Pity for the guy, clearly very talented.

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Nah, not for me.

I've never thought " what if" regarding big Z.

That's just a lack of imagination then.

Probably still be worth bringing him back off the basis of tonight's match. 

Vargas needs to watch some videos of players like Big Zee to see how to strike a ball properly.