Genero Zeefuik

Roman1874

Roman1874

Remember this guy, wish he stayed longer than one season.

would anyone take him back given the chance? Potential shankland replacement. 

King prawn

He retired 7 years ago didn’t he ?

edit - retired in 2020.

Edited by King prawn

Jim_Duncan
6 minutes ago, Roman1874 said:

Maybe he could form a potent forward line with Robbo. 

been here before
7 minutes ago, Roman1874 said:

Aye like a shot...

:rofl:

JimmyCant
9 minutes ago, Roman1874 said:

He’s probably the size of a house by now

Zeefuiks biggest mistake in his career was not fighting for a permanent move here. Going to Turkey utterly ruined his career - don't think he got paid and his mental health nose dived. 

Had he came here, he'd have been what, an hour away by plane from the Netherlands? in a supportive environment and been utterly adored by the supporters because he is one of the most lethal finishers many of us have seen at Hearts.

Scottish football doesn't get enough credit for being stable. Both Sow & Zeefuik (and no doubt many more players) have spoken about eastern european/further afield clubs being dodgy at paying wages consistently. I think it was the Moldovan team Sow was at before paid erratically (he spoke about it once IIRC). It should be something we push pretty voraciously with players and agents. Players going East and not getting paid is a well trodden path, especially in the area of the market we operate in. 

Anyway, it sticks in my throat because Zeefuik was every bit the natural finisher as Shankland is IMO. He just needed strong coaching and an environment where he could be supported and held accountable. Clearly the move to Turkey ruined his career, and its a bloody shame. Don't think his agent looked after his interests there at all. Sometimes it shouldn't just be about money. 

the OPs suggestion as a Shankland replacement now though is ridiculous. He's not kicked a ball in about 4 years, and prior to that his career was pretty much done for at least another 3 years prior. 

4 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Record-breaking hat-trick, wasn’t it?

The three-minute Zeefuik hat-trick equalled the fastest ever hat-trick scored by a Heart of Midlothian player (Andy Black in 1938) in this match too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scottish_Professional_Football_League_hat-tricks

(interesting page btw, Shanks has scored so many ****ing hatricks :D )

rudi must stay
4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Christ, aye.

What a fabulous idea.

We could hire Tony Robinson as manager 

Bindy Badgy
39 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Maybe he could form a potent forward line with Robbo. 

Ii hear Scott Crabbe doesn't have a club at present.

rudi must stay
Just now, kila said:

A page from your playbook amirite

Everything I say is considered trolling by some. 

23 minutes ago, OTT said:

Zeefuiks biggest mistake in his career was not fighting for a permanent move here. Going to Turkey utterly ruined his career - don't think he got paid and his mental health nose dived. 

Had he came here, he'd have been what, an hour away by plane from the Netherlands? in a supportive environment and been utterly adored by the supporters because he is one of the most lethal finishers many of us have seen at Hearts.

Scottish football doesn't get enough credit for being stable. Both Sow & Zeefuik (and no doubt many more players) have spoken about eastern european/further afield clubs being dodgy at paying wages consistently. I think it was the Moldovan team Sow was at before paid erratically (he spoke about it once IIRC). It should be something we push pretty voraciously with players and agents. Players going East and not getting paid is a well trodden path, especially in the area of the market we operate in. 

Anyway, it sticks in my throat because Zeefuik was every bit the natural finisher as Shankland is IMO. He just needed strong coaching and an environment where he could be supported and held accountable. Clearly the move to Turkey ruined his career, and its a bloody shame. Don't think his agent looked after his interests there at all. Sometimes it shouldn't just be about money. 

the OPs suggestion as a Shankland replacement now though is ridiculous. He's not kicked a ball in about 4 years, and prior to that his career was pretty much done for at least another 3 years prior. 

You've no idea if he fought for a move or not, you're just guessing. To say that it's the biggest mistake in his career is a wild shout when it's based on pure assumption. I'm sure I read at the time we couldn't afford to pay what Groningen wanted for him, nothing to do with Zeefuik himself not wanting to be here.

Agree with the rest of your post though.

number-16

There is an element of what might have been with Zeefuik.

Especially since that we had a pretty decent first season back in the top league the next year, so much so that we were only 10 points off top after 29 games. Imagine we also had a consistent goal scorer like Zeefuik, scoring at a rate similar to what Shankland is doing now.

It's all ifs and maybes, but it's nice to imagine.

No doubt if we kept him he’d have been hounded by fans about needing to get his weight down every time he had a poor game

colinmaroon

I remember in the December prior to him coming, everyone was kicking off that we needed someone up front who could put the ball in the net, and thinking of Robbo I posted, "Don't worry,  it's not over until the fat striker scores."

Well, who'd have thunk it?

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Roman1874 said:

Would link up well with Hleb. 

Sure he has 2 brothers that are bloody good too 

Edit- one was playing for Blackburn last year, the other plays for AZ 

Both could fit into his shorts at the same time 😂

Edited by Bozi

Go for it 1308
2 hours ago, Roman1874 said:

1DDFA846-FE00-4266-A4E8-01DF7F9C26FF.gif.d7f5d574f21616e39c83c844d6699f43.gif

Tommy Brown

Would love to hear from fans who were at Dumbarton, when he made his debut.

The sign of this big fat bassa strolling out must have been a WTF moment.

Did it not end 0-0?

Loved the big guy, his control and scoring was fantastic.

I'm going to say something that might be controversial but had Zeefuik stayed and got himself right in body and mind I think he would have smashed any and all goalscoring records at Hearts depending on his length of time with us.

He was one of the most natural, lethal finishers I've ever seen. A player with that true natural talent of being able to put the ball in the net in any situation.

Unfortunately he had a lot of issues and I do hope the big man is doing well and is healthy in his current life and endeavours. 

He properly pissed the Championship, it was all just so effortless and it all seemed to come off for him.  It's hard to tell how he would have fared in the top flight, but the season we came up seen us playing some really good stuff, so I highly doubt he would have been out of his depth.  There really isn't that huge a gulf between the Championship and (at least) the bottom half of the Premiership.  Bear in mind, we also had Hibs and Rangers kicking about with us whilst he was strolling around at the tail end of that season.

People joke about the size of him, but it's very clear he was talented.  He 100% made the wrong career choice and should have stayed with us for at least another season, but these things happen in football.  It's also not as cut and dry as people make it out to be; he was only on loan with us and Groningen wanted a transfer fee of about £300,000+ at the time IIRC, which was spare cash we did not have, especially considering we had just come out of administration the year before.  Reading a bit more into his Wikipedia page, it sounds like Groningen were a bit pissy about him in other ways, as they blocked his international call up for Suriname as well.  

Hard to tell if he would have kicked on with us, or if his struggles with mental health would have eased off or continued had he stayed for longer.  You just never know what someone is dealing with, and scoring goals for Hearts might not have been a solution to what was going on in his mind.

There was a thread on here about Cult Heroes the other week.  Zeefuik is a textbook example of it for us.  Came in for half a season, smashed in 12 goals in 15 games, scored a 3 minute hat-trick in a 10-0 demolition job, was part of a team that won the league before Easter, and disappeared off into the sunset a few months later.  If he ever came back for a half-time appearance or hospitality cameo, I'm sure it would raise the roof.

59 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Would love to hear from fans who were at Dumbarton, when he made his debut.

The sign of this big fat bassa strolling out must have been a WTF moment.

Did it not end 0-0?

Loved the big guy, his control and scoring was fantastic.

We won 5-1 against Ian Murray's Dumbarton, even cheering their goal to make it 5-1 as Murray doesn't like that score.....

Zeefuik scored two of the five on his debut and missed a couple of chances too - likely he wasn't fully match fit then.

I really liked his attitude in the final game, 2 down to Rangers, of putting the whole team on his back and dragging us to a draw with his 2 late goals 🙃

Tommy Brown
10 minutes ago, JTJ said:

We won 5-1 against Ian Murray's Dumbarton, even cheering their goal to make it 5-1 as Murray doesn't like that score.....

Zeefuik scored two of the five on his debut and missed a couple of chances too - likely he wasn't fully match fit 

🙃

Yeah, fuzzy memory from me. Had it in my head 0-0.

London Hearts has him down as a missed penalty for his hat-trick, also.

Screenshot_20240221_174210_Chrome.jpg

Joke thread surely? Hugely overweight guy with 60 career goals, 12 of them playing for us when we skooshed the league below. Big no thanks serious.

Just now, deejtee said:

Joke thread surely? Hugely overweight guy with 60 career goals, 12 of them playing for us when we skooshed the league below. Big no thanks serious.

Missed the if!

Benny Klack

Zeefuik was the epitome of “cult hero” - here for a very short while, looked like someone had given a strip to a lad in the Wheatfield, was bloody amazing, fecked off.

Brilliant

Mind those guys Rudi and Robbo that we had I wonder if we could get these guys back aswell 🤔

Edited by rory78
Mis spelt