Other SPFL News ......

Section Q

Section Q
2 hours ago, been here before said:

Its worked well with Hibs so far so why not?

And the Dundee mob..........!

There is a possibility that the "American investment" thing could be the way forward.

Who knows?

However, thank goodness our club is able to sit back, wait and see, then act from a position of choice and power.

I don't like the sound of it, at all, but Hibernian FC, as it stands, haven't looked before they’ve leapt.

They're club is at the mercy of people who don't give a...

Jim_Duncan

image.jpeg.e7c73d4353948fbc5b288a5e23b3e876.jpeg

Done deal. Eight hay bales, six bushels of corn and a good condition John Deere 5065E. 

Watt-Zeefuik

I'd be more interested in it if American investment led to more promotion and availability of the Scottish game over here.

Benny Klack
4 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

I'd be more interested in it if American investment led to more promotion and availability of the Scottish game over here.

Wonder how that clown Stuart Cosgrove will spin this. Always bangs on about how financially prudent his team are and foreign ownership = dangerous. He always slagged off us when Vlad was in town. 

chrisyboy7
29 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Why would you invest in st Johnstone. They’ve got no potential for growth 

Was just thinking this....sounds very dodgy but only time will tell. 

1 hour ago, Benny Klack said:

Wonder how that clown Stuart Cosgrove will spin this. Always bangs on about how financially prudent his team are and foreign ownership = dangerous. He always slagged off us when Vlad was in town. 

Cosgrove is a bare faced hypocrite . I am also looking forward to how he attempts to spin this :lol: 

35 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

When you are as small as they are then I guess there is some potential for growth. Especially being a city club.

Won't be much money involved I'd imagine. 

Personally couldn't think of a more boring team to invest in.

Jambo dans les Pyrenees
40 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

The Levein/Kirk factor.

Jim_Duncan
44 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

They could sell all four stands to the OF several times a season. Money spinner. 

2 minutes ago, Jambo dans les Pyrenees said:

The Levein/Kirk factor.

Are they not top of the Bundesliga? 

St Johnstone own a fair bit of the land around McDairmid as well apparently so I'd be wary of the new owners reasons for investing in the club.

Geoff Brown absolutely has the clubs best interests at heart but lets be honest, he's been trying to offload St Johnstone for years and now it looks as though someone is interested. I wonder what's made this group more attractive to sell to than others (if there were any) ??

buzzbomb1958
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

But they have land wort 20 million that might have something to do with it 

saxondale
8 hours ago, Section Q said:

And the Dundee mob..........!

To be fair, it's a bit early days to say it has been unsuccessful yet...lets hope in a year or two there has been next to no progress for both teams.

15 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

But they have land wort 20 million that might have something to do with it 

And the sheer number of houses they are building in Perth means the demand is there.

Wonder if ASDA would like to buy this stadium as well, and put the Tesco next door under some pressure. :lol: 

john thomas
52 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Cosgrove is a bare faced hypocrite . I am also looking forward to how he attempts to spin this :lol: 

Spin it he will . His rewriting of history after completely dismissing the Anderson investment in Scottish football was classic

GorgieFifeLife

The Wrexham factor has peaked the America interest in owning clubs across here.  It is seen as a hobby for the rich and with minimal investment a club like St Johnstone could be improved so it makes more sense than the Hibs investment who are a club already at their ceiling and falling fast.  Geoff Brown will be writing in legal safeguards to prevent the land being sold from underneath the club.

buzzbomb1958
1 minute ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

The Wrexham factor has peaked the America interest in owning clubs across here.  It is seen as a hobby for the rich and with minimal investment a club like St Johnstone could be improved so it makes more sense than the Hibs investment who are a club already at their ceiling and falling fast.  Geoff Brown will be writing in legal safeguards to prevent the land being sold from underneath the club.

The land is part of the deal hence the £ 20 million price included

Saint Jambo
8 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Not trying to be wide, but what would be the benefit to a club of owning land if it could never be sold?

4 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Not trying to be wide, but what would be the benefit to a club of owning land if it could never be sold?

The article says the plot of land the stadium is on 22 acres, is worth up to £20milion. 

So if they sold the land they'd be selling the stadium and  would need to have somewhere else to play.

I'd presume the safeguards mentioned would be to stop a complete asset strip and ending of St J's. 

Fort Vallance
8 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Security for borrowing ?

AlimOzturk

The club with the biggest potential for growth in Scotland right now are us. Hotel/restaurants/bars and waiting lists for fans.  

But they can’t have us. 

:smugger:

Byyy The Light
10 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

Security for borrowing ?

As I said on the Hibs thread. This multi club ownership the Americans are all in to just seems to me like an accounting exercise.

Look what the Glazers did at Utd by saddling the club with debt.

If you have a holding company that has assets across multiple clubs, their borrowing power is massively increased. That would allow these investment vehicles to borrow a load of money to use for whatever they wanted against the assets on the group balance sheet, not the clubs individually.

One of the first thing the Gordon's did was take security over all Hibs assets. They then saddled the club with over £5 million worth of debt for "infrastructure" and then essentially got out by selling the debt to Foley.

It all stinks of the bundling of cheap assets to form a bigger asset and flog for an inflated price down the line.  A bit like the sub prime mortgages that crippled the global economy.

Japan Jambo
11 hours ago, Section Q said:

SPFL side lined up for American takeover as Hampden chiefs put on ‘foreign investment’ alert

St Johnstone the next Scottish club to be taken over by Americans.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/12013279/st-johnstone-20m-american-takeover-hampden-chiefs-foreign-investment/

Just clicked on that article, looking at Levein I'm suddenly starting to feel quite old. He's not got many years on me but by god he doesn't half look like he had a hard paper round. 😞 

Daveandal
1 hour ago, I.T.K said:

Are they not top of the Bundesliga? 

I've just snorted tea up my nose... cheers

2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Exactly. I really don’t get this inward investment by people who have no real connection to the club. It failed with ourselves and have not seen it succeed anywhere. Just a way for the current owners to bail out quite frankly. How can a club that cannot sell out their own stadium for an OF match ever be seen as anything other than a financial basket case. Caveat emptor and all that!

Chuck Berry

I remember a game at McDairmid in the early 90's where Hearts won 5-0 and there were Jambos locked out, the place was packed, and it was mostly Saints fans.  Potential?

GorgieFifeLife
1 hour ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

The land is part of the deal hence the £ 20 million price included

Legal safeguards will prevent the sale of the land to protect the club from losing their stadium.  If another stadium is built elsewhere then they would then be allowed to sell the land.

CostaJambo
8 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Done deal. Eight hay bales, six bushels of corn and a good condition John Deere 5065E. 

Throw in a couple of Garth Brooks CD's and I'll give you the pie concession gig too.

Sadly Perth is absolutely rammed with glory hunters . Not sure that is likely to change ever . Much easier for a kid to switch from a small team to the old firm despite their parents allegiances than it is to switch to a smaller team from one of the old firm 

3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

They own a fair wedge of prime land around the stadium.  Sitting there waiting for someone to come along and use it for housing.

leipzig76

It's a Massey or the deal's off !!

henrysmithsgloves

🤣🤣

14 minutes ago, Deevers said:

They own a fair wedge of prime land around the stadium.  Sitting there waiting for someone to come along and use it for housing.

There's not much empty prime land around the stadium site.

Some land beside the stadium/training pitches was bought in 2019 for £1.25m+.

Not sure who bought or sold it. 

9 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

There's not much empty prime land around the stadium site.

Some land beside the stadium/training pitches was bought in 2019 for £1.25m+.

Not sure who bought or sold it. 

The excess land round the stadium would appear to be the stumbling block to a deal at present. I take it that would be the training pitches, the car park and the other land lying empty at the side of the stadium.  Brown probably wants to hold on to that for his building company to develop. The yank probably wants the whole package. 

Sitting where it does in Perth, the whole lot stadium and all would probably be pretty sought after for building on. Makes you wonder what the end game for the yank actually is.

Edited by Deevers

1 minute ago, Deevers said:

The excess land round the stadium would appear to be the stumbling block to a deal at present. I take it that would be the training pitches, the car park and the other land lying empty at the side of the stadium.  Brown probably wants to hold on to that for his building company to develop. The yank probably wants the whole package. 

Sitting where it does in Perth, the whole lot stadium and all would probably be pretty sought after for building on. Makes you wonder what the end game for the yank actually is.

There is excess/waste ground in the south east corner of the site, some of which is what I referred to in my last post as being sold a few years ago. That i,s I assume not included in the sale, and maybe Brown does own it himself, or maybe they sold it previously to fund the club. The press article says the site is 22 acres, that would be the car park, stadium and three training pitches, not much else. 

periodictabledancer

The £20 million looks like a figure dreamed up by the Sun on the basis it could be flattened and used for house building.

Given the land AFAIK was originally donated  by a farmer (hence the name) I'd think it's highly unlikely there isn't some sort of covenant or legal instrument to stop is being flattened for houses. 

The devil is in the detail, as they say. 

jamboinglasgow
3 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

The £20 million looks like a figure dreamed up by the Sun on the basis it could be flattened and used for house building.

Given the land AFAIK was originally donated  by a farmer (hence the name) I'd think it's highly unlikely there isn't some sort of covenant or legal instrument to stop is being flattened for houses. 

The devil is in the detail, as they say. 

Could be that the potential new owner views this land as something they can build long term to generate revenue (retail park, leisure facilities, or such) which would be preferable to just selling off the land for short term large gain. Means that like us, you can get regular income from outwith football helping to maintain or increase a club with limited support's income. But does keep the land within the club incase they do need to sell it at a later date.

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

The club with the biggest potential for growth in Scotland right now are us. Hotel/restaurants/bars and waiting lists for fans.  

But they can’t have us. 

:smugger:

I like to think of myself as an American who was at the forefront of the trend of buying Scottish football clubs. Picked the right one too.

:verysmug:

AlimOzturk
2 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

I like to think of myself as an American who was at the forefront of the trend of buying Scottish football clubs. Picked the right one too.

:verysmug:

I reckon your investment will hold greater value, long term sustainability and give you more joy than all these other Americans buying up shares in other clubs.

27 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Could be that the potential new owner views this land as something they can build long term to generate revenue (retail park, leisure facilities, or such) which would be preferable to just selling off the land for short term large gain. Means that like us, you can get regular income from outwith football helping to maintain or increase a club with limited support's income. But does keep the land within the club incase they do need to sell it at a later date.

There is no land other than the stadium, carpark and training pitches.

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

I reckon your investment will hold greater value, long term sustainability and give you more joy than all these other Americans buying up shares in other clubs.

I certainly think so. Paid off handsomely so far.