If you were in charge of Scotland, what would you do?

Greedy Jambo

joondalupjambo

I would introduce mandatory reading and spelling exams for all.  I would then introduce a Battalion of spelling Police to review all social media content created in Scotland.  Christ hope all the spelling is right in those sentences.  

Bains?  It is Baynes 🙂

Edited by joondalupjambo

5 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Introduce an annual 'Purge' day with the subject being adult cyclists. Their helmet cams would capture some good footage. 

As an adult cyclist and driver I take umbrage with this. There are some absolute bellends on bikes but the percentage of car users who are arrogant, ignorant, dangerous and almost definitely practice self love far outweigh that 

joondalupjambo
6 minutes ago, Bozi said:

As an adult cyclist and driver I take umbrage with this. There are some absolute bellends on bikes but the percentage of car users who are arrogant, ignorant, dangerous and almost definitely practice self love far outweigh that 

It is interesting.

In Denmark drivers all give way to pedestrians and cyclists without hesitation. 

Imagine trying to introduce that type of mind set change here in Scotland.

9 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

It is interesting.

That's what happens when a country has had cycle lanes for well over 100 years. 

joondalupjambo
3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

That's what happens when a country has had cycle lanes for well over 100 years. 

In a way but you cannot just put in cycle lanes in on their own.  You need to change people's mindset in parallel with that change.

We have had a couple of TV adverts about mind the gap when overtaking bike riders that I can recall that were recent but unless there are major ongoing media events, Government backing to the change etc nothing will change if it just Councils pushing the ball up the hill.

been here before
29 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

It is interesting.

The pedestrian part at least has been in force for 2 years.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/introduction#ruleh2

I dont think I've ever seen one car driver take any heed of it.

Probably too busy raging about paying their ficticious road tax.

joondalupjambo
3 minutes ago, been here before said:

The pedestrian part at least has been in force for 2 years.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/introduction#ruleh2

I dont think I've ever seen one car driver take any heed of it.

Probably too busy raging about paying their ficticious road tax.

The issue there was that it was an updated rule stuck into the Highway Code.  There was chat at the time that the Government failed to do a proper campaign.    Like you drivers are less likely to stop than not because who reads the Code once they pass their test.  Christ stopping at zebra crossings for many is still hard 🙂

14 hours ago, martoon said:

You are first in line for vice president, red.

😄

Splendid. When can we get started?

Nookie Bear
8 hours ago, FWJ said:

Along with compulsory PE in schools, compulsory cooking lessons.

They should have compulsory cooking lessons, and not making pointless cakes and the likes. It should be straightforward and cheap dishes that can feed a family.

Teenage kids should also be taught household finance, taxes, pensions, basic car maintenance etc.

54 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Splendid. When can we get started?

If you want to be leader you'll have to start plotting my downfall now.

It's what we political types do. 😊

3 minutes ago, martoon said:

If you want to be leader you'll have to start plotting my downfall now.

It's what we political types do. 😊

Way ahead of you. ;)

tdih-may03-HD.jpg

Jim_Duncan
7 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Ban cars from cities. 

Ban people, too. 

On 21/02/2024 at 00:20, redjambo said:

And West Lothian gets renamed East Lanarkshire? ;)

Royal burgh of Linlithgowshire 😁

Psychedelicropcircle
On 20/02/2024 at 23:28, Ministryofdad said:

Hand the parliament back to Westminster. 

It's been an abject failure. 

Nothing good has came from it. 

We pay higher tax to give every one free prescriptions, bus passes and other nonsense. 

I'd dual the a9

Dual the a1

Finish the sheriffhall underpass

Make ineos at Grangemouth into a hydrogen fuel dept. 

Mandtory national service for everyone under 35 (minium of 2 years if not in full time employment or education) 

Mandtory farming of all usable land for growing food for us to be sustainable. 

Al school kids in summer and winter months to harvest fields when off school. 

Education on growing and eating healthy 

Declare war on fast food. 

Introduce a stealth tax on all chippys, chineeeses, pizza, burger joints and use it to promote healthy eating. 

Declare all drugs legal and tax them to generate a national health service fit for purpose.

Ban the sale of alochol to anyone under the age of 25.

Get rid of minium pricing 

Get rid of the tax in smoking 

Get rid of petrol and diesel and move towards hydrogen powered cars. 

Make all gyms free to use. 

Make shop open at 7am close at 2pm repoen at 5pm-9pm

In those 3 hours you have to excersize. 

More you do more you get paid a universal basic income each month. 

If you keep your bmi at optium weight you get paid for it. 

Deport ministry of dad on day one

Seymour M Hersh

Turn Glasgow and Dundee into oil refineries for petrol and diesel (especially diesel so we don't import any more Russian diesel via India). That of course is after doing what MoD suggests in his first sentence! ::troll::

On 21/02/2024 at 01:52, Howdy Doody Jambo said:

Bring in a wage cap for politicians and councillors say £25k per annum and take away expense claims,see how they get on in the real world 

I'd do the opposite, make MP's a 200k per annum job, stops plebs that would otherwise  be working in call centre's by attracting properly qualified people into a position of power. 

Nookie Bear
4 minutes ago, Ribble said:

I'd do the opposite, make MP's a 200k per annum job, stops plebs that would otherwise  be working in call centre's by attracting properly qualified people into a position of power. 

Perhaps a bit much but I agree with you in theory. I would increase the salary but ban them from holding any other role, even advisory roles, whilst a serving Member. 
It should be a full time job. 

Ron Burgundy

Stop greedy landlords owning multiple properties and robbing the least fortunate.

I'd make sure every Scottish person who needed housing had it. House our own first and then worry about others. 

No vanity projects until basic needs like health and housing were sorted.

Jail corrupt politicians.

Make prisons more like Gulags than Butlins.

Life sentences should mean exactly that.

Lower the pension age and raise the paltry amount for workers who have contributed over the years, not for the lazy feckers that have never worked.

Change the saltire to maroon and white.

Shooter McGavin

Try to make sporting activities more affordable and accessable, build better facilities, or refurbish current facilities.

Too many jumped up gimps in that 12-18 year old age bracket that just hang about on streets, outside shops, which leads to anti-social behavour. Partly down to the fact that the culture in this country is we slag off anybody for trying things, having hobbies etc, and partly down to the fact that the facilities available are either horrendous, expensive or non-existent.

Jim_Duncan
59 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Stop greedy landlords owning multiple properties and robbing the least fortunate.

I'd make sure every Scottish person who needed housing had it. House our own first and then worry about others. 

No vanity projects until basic needs like health and housing were sorted.

Jail corrupt politicians.

Make prisons more like Gulags than Butlins.

Life sentences should mean exactly that.

Lower the pension age and raise the paltry amount for workers who have contributed over the years, not for the lazy feckers that have never worked.

Change the saltire to maroon and white.

Good point re housing. I was listening to a BBC documentary last night about the homeless in and around Palo Alto/San Jose in California. There was a scheme whereby homeless people/those without permanent accommodation were given small apartments for 1/3 of their verifiable income ($50pcm minimum) and having to keep them in good condition. Seems like a fair deal. However, not sure what would happen if you the inhabitants failed to pay or keep their end of the bargain. 

16 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Ban people, too. 

People belong in cities.

Cars don't.

Edited by Gizmo

Jim_Duncan
2 hours ago, Gizmo said:

People belong in cities.

Cars don't.

I’m not sure we do, amigo. Cities can be pretty grim at times, living on top of each other like insects. 

Benny Klack

Ban Orange Walks

Fix Potholes 

Sort Litter problem - get community service and low risk prisoners picking litter road side

Ban air bnb’s 

More cycle lanes 

Mandatory exercise sessions daily in schools right from nursery to 6th year 

1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I’m not sure we do, amigo. Cities can be pretty grim at times, living on top of each other like insects. 

Be a lot less grim if we reclaimed the streets, got shot of the majority of air pollution and had decent public transport.

Can't see it happening tho. :(

Jim_Duncan
9 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Be a lot less grim if we reclaimed the streets, got shot of the majority of air pollution and had decent public transport.

Can't see it happening tho. :(

It’s an interesting idea. The issue is that we have lifestyles that are heavily dependent on cars. Both my sons play football all over Edinburgh and the Lothians. I play 5s in Edinburgh and Livingston. Public transport would take my wife 90 mins one way for work. We have elderly family members who are reliant on us visiting them. 

All of these things would be very, very difficult without a car. I dont like having to rely on it, but public transport in Edinburgh just isn’t good enough to make it a viable alternative to many car owning families. 

7 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

It’s an interesting idea. The issue is that we have lifestyles that are heavily dependent on cars. Both my sons play football all over Edinburgh and the Lothians. I play 5s in Edinburgh and Livingston. Public transport would take my wife 90 mins one way for work. We have elderly family members who are reliant on us visiting them. 

All of these things would be very, very difficult without a car. I dont like having to rely on it, but public transport in Edinburgh just isn’t good enough to make it a viable alternative to many car owning families. 

Yeah, it's a pipe dream, no question - things like park & ride for events are fine on the way in but appear, from experience, to be useless on the way back. We saw the Killers in Doncaster last year, we booked the park and ride and got the shuttle bus to the stadium just fine. On the way back there was so much traffic the buses didn't move for an hour - we had a rather interesting walk back instead. It was a while ago, but the Tall Ships festival was the same - a massive downpour near the end of the day flooded both the crowd and the free buses which could not cope. I ended up walking up Leith walk, bedraggled and soaked, to catch a normal bus back to Duddingston.

Those things would be a nightmare to coordinate with kids or the elderly, and the costs go up exponentially for fares for a family compared to pretty much the same fuel costs if you drive.

New Town Loafer

‘Ethnic’ cleansing of anywhere west of Ratho.

And bomb Dundee.

Jim_Duncan
40 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Yeah, it's a pipe dream, no question - things like park & ride for events are fine on the way in but appear, from experience, to be useless on the way back. We saw the Killers in Doncaster last year, we booked the park and ride and got the shuttle bus to the stadium just fine. On the way back there was so much traffic the buses didn't move for an hour - we had a rather interesting walk back instead. It was a while ago, but the Tall Ships festival was the same - a massive downpour near the end of the day flooded both the crowd and the free buses which could not cope. I ended up walking up Leith walk, bedraggled and soaked, to catch a normal bus back to Duddingston.

Those things would be a nightmare to coordinate with kids or the elderly, and the costs go up exponentially for fares for a family compared to pretty much the same fuel costs if you drive.

It would need coordination across so many bodies and organisations that something would go wrong somewhere. Although, having said that, I am tonight in Istanbul, where trying to get around by car is madness and public transport the only viable way. But then they have normal buses, trams, metro buses, and an underground. It all, just about, seems to work. 

Re your second paragraph; it’s not even just the cost (so many folk go free nowadays). There is no appetite to offer a proper service. Unless you’re in the city centre, buses on a Sunday morning are rare as hen's teeth. And yet that’s the time plenty of kids are off to do sports. 

Benny Klack

Ban on career politicians - ie becoming a politician straight out of uni or before the age of at least 45. you should only be able to become on MP / MSP if you have worked for 25+ years in the public sector 

By The Light..

Invade Norway and take their sovereign wealth fund as it's all Scotland's oil.

NATO wouldn't know WFT to do, we might need the rest of the UK air force and navy on our side though...

il Duce McTarkin
6 minutes ago, By The Light.. said:

NATO wouldn't know WFT to do, we might need the rest of the UK air force and navy on our side though...

Take their women as well. They nicked most our good looking ones back in the day so it's ony fair.

the posh bit

I'd work in partnership with the confectionary companies to make children's lollipops easier to open. Those sherbetty Swizzels double lollies are a ****ing nightmare to get in to. 

Malinga the Swinga
13 hours ago, Benny Klack said:

Ban on career politicians - ie becoming a politician straight out of uni or before the age of at least 45. you should only be able to become on MP / MSP if you have worked for 25+ years in the public sector 

If they have worked 25+ years in public sector, then it's too late as they will already have accumulated a lifetime of bad habits, laziness and an expectation that grafting is not required.

I'd go mix of 10 years in public service and 15 in private sector.

Maximum period of 2 or 3 terms of parliament and pension only collected at 67.

Any dodgy dealings or corruption equals immediate dismissal and loss of pension, with jail for more serious offences.

No political parties either, people elected on their ability to do the job, not because they are shagging someone with power or because mummy/daddy was an MP.

Death sentence or slave Labour (anything that serves the community well) until you die for any politicians who lie. I’d be nice enough to let them decide. I’d maybe pay attention to politics knowing they canny lie. 

All prisoners would be building houses for the homeless for the length of their sentence. Anyone refusing gets time added to their sentence. 

By The Light..

After invading Norway and commandeering their armed forces head straight to London.

Once in power would agree to the creation of Englandshire which would consist of Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle and a link between the two.

The rest of England would be renamed Scotland, haven't decided about Wales and Nth Ireland yet.

We'd qualify for every world cup and challenge in final stages a lot more often.

BTW I not a nationalist the English would benefit here as well 

I’d Stop ex-politicians moving straight into a cushy part time exec position with the companies they used to (or were supposed to) regulate.

GlasgoJambo

Prohibit (the use of) mobile phones on school grounds. I’d want to take it further and prohibit smartphones to under 16s/18s but can’t possibly fathom how that could be imposed in a practical or liberal way. I just know it’s detrimental. 

Scrap the category of “hate” crimes. Crimes are crimes. Hate is too subjective a category and not in Itself something which should be punishable. 

Constitutionalise free speech. It wouldn’t be without its issues but in my mind the alternative of speech restriction is a far worse proposition.

Return utility ownership to the state inc infrastructural transport. This of course relies on a functional state - (the great quandary) but the emphasis on profiteering has swung too far. Imagine straightforward energy bills.

Relax alcohol licensing laws such as 10-10 off-sales, licenced hours, provisioned areas, public consumption etc while at the same time increasing punishment for individuals who cannot be trusted with these freedoms.
(I don’t really know how to word this as a law but I can’t drink a beer in the park opposite my house (Glasgow obv) because some people are irresponsible arseholes. I shouldn’t be punished until I act anti socially. Maybe a personal ‘drinking outside permit’ or something 🤷🏻‍♂️)

Scrap the Scottish Arts Council in its current form - self serving cronyism.

Enforce that all elite football stadia must include terracing and all Lrt busses must be predominantly maroon. 

18 minutes ago, GlasgoJambo said:

Prohibit (the use of) mobile phones on school grounds. I’d want to take it further and prohibit smartphones to under 16s/18s but can’t possibly fathom how that could be imposed in a practical or liberal way. I just know it’s detrimental. 

Scrap the category of “hate” crimes. Crimes are crimes. Hate is too subjective a category and not in Itself something which should be punishable. 

Constitutionalise free speech. It wouldn’t be without its issues but in my mind the alternative of speech restriction is a far worse proposition.

Return utility ownership to the state inc infrastructural transport. This of course relies on a functional state - (the great quandary) but the emphasis on profiteering has swung too far. Imagine straightforward energy bills.

Relax alcohol licensing laws such as 10-10 off-sales, licenced hours, provisioned areas, public consumption etc while at the same time increasing punishment for individuals who cannot be trusted with these freedoms.
(I don’t really know how to word this as a law but I can’t drink a beer in the park opposite my house (Glasgow obv) because some people are irresponsible arseholes. I shouldn’t be punished until I act anti socially. Maybe a personal ‘drinking outside permit’ or something 🤷🏻‍♂️)

Scrap the Scottish Arts Council in its current form - self serving cronyism.

Enforce that all elite football stadia must include terracing and all Lrt busses must be predominantly maroon. 

There’s no such thing as the Scottish Arts Council and hasn’t been got quite some time. 

il Duce McTarkin
15 hours ago, the posh bit said:

I'd work in partnership with the confectionary companies to make children's lollipops easier to open. Those sherbetty Swizzels double lollies are a ****ing nightmare to get in to. 

Chupa chups are the same. Especially while you're driving.

The Mighty Thor
On 23/02/2024 at 00:26, By The Light.. said:

WTF are you hoping to do with 2 working ships and a dozen or so planes?

Lord Montpelier
32 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

WTF are you hoping to do with 2 working ships and a dozen or so planes?

Get yourself up to Lossiemouth and watch the planes take off.

Was there a few months back, awesome show of power and technology . Took the breath away. 

We are lucky to be part of the UK and have that deterrent.  Your indy pals can't even build a couple of simple shunt and grunt ferries.