Andreas Brehme

Ron Burgundy

Winning goal from the penalty spot in Italia ‘90. Heart attack at 63. I was just wondering the other day what he was doing nowadays.

Sergemcmurto

Met him at the oktoberfest a few years ago. We bought him a beer and sent it over with a message saying "that's for scoring against England " He burst out laughing and shortly after a tray of shots arrived courtesy of the man himself. RIP 

Placid Casual
19 minutes ago, Sergemcmurto said:

Met him at the oktoberfest a few years ago. We bought him a beer and sent it over with a message saying "that's for scoring against England " He burst out laughing and shortly after a tray of shots arrived courtesy of the man himself. RIP 

Ha ha, that’s brilliant.

Shocked to hear this news. What a player he was. RIP.

Byyy The Light

Italia 90 was the first World Cup I remember having been born in 1982. Remember sitting with my dad and his mates in the house watching him score the winning penalty.

1 hour ago, Sergemcmurto said:

Love that! 

Bindy Badgy
2 hours ago, leginten said:

Winning goal from the penalty spot in Italia ‘90. Heart attack at 63. I was just wondering the other day what he was doing nowadays.

Scored a free kick with his left foot in the semi and a penalty with his right foot in the final.

Apparently, he was naturally left footed but decided that he was going to practicuntil his right was as good as his left.

TexasAndy
1 hour ago, Sergemcmurto said:

That's superb.  Having been to Oktoberfest a good few times myself I really appreciate that story.

maroonsgotop
2 minutes ago, Bindy Badgy said:

Scored a free kick with his left foot in the semi and a penalty with his right foot in the final.

Apparently, he was naturally left footed but decided that he was going to practicuntil his right was as good as his left.

he was apparently naturally left footed but used his right foot for penalties as he was was more accurate with foot !!!!! 

maroonsgotop
2 hours ago, leginten said:

I was behind the goal where he scored in the final and was also at the semi when he scored with a left foot free kick against England. Have to say the semi is one of the best games I've ever been at. Whilst I was happy Germany won that game I was wanting Argentina to win the final.

1990 was the first world cup final I can properly remember. I only have vague recollections of the 86 world cup.

The final was a really poor game from what I remember although I was just gutted that Italy weren't in it, but Brehme's name was written into footballing history with that goal, much like Mario Goetze in 2014 in a final between the same opponents (albeit West Germany in 1990).

Sad news about Brehme's passing and another reminder that being a professional sportsperson doesn't guarantee anything when it comes to health.