Super Wayne Day

martoon

30 years ago tomorrow.

We started early in town and pub crawled our way to and down Easter Road. We were still outside their corrugated shit pit when Robbo put us 0-1 up.

The Hibby remains convinced that they "played us oaf the park, ken?" but that's crap. We were comfy until the last 5 of the 1st half and the 2nd was a turgid, nervy affair with few chances.

A few mins to go and Gary Mackay picks up the ball and sets Wayne on his merry way.

It still cuts the Hibby to the quick that Beaumont, or some other inadequate, didn't hack Fozzy to the ground on the edge of the box.

So much for Hibernian, the fitba' purists.

Wild 21 key celebrations then into town, via a wee punch up at the top of Leith Walk.

Epic day.

FTH.

Edited by martoon

John Findlay
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

So glad Jim Leighton had bandy legs😄

Gorgiewave

At the 25th anniversary of the 0-7 game (I was 15 in 1998) I wondered why they were still going on about a result from the dim and distant past. And now it's 30 years since a game I attended and remember very vividly.

1971fozzy

One of the best games I’ve been at. Cant believe it’s 30 years ago. 
I think I’ll need to raise a glass whilst watching it again tomorrow night.

utter legend

I love the way Fozzy gives the ref Les Mottram a palming off so he could celebrate the goal then come back for the booking 

millerjames398
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

So glad Jim Leighton had bandy legs😄

My dad used to say, if Leighton legs were straight, he'd be 10ft tall😂

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

My first, and only, time in Speirs bar. Left there late and missed Robbo's goal.

Tremendous celebration after Super Wayne scored.

Huns away in the next round, though. :sad:

millerjames398

One of the very best days down there,,the 21 key getting waved on the telly as the pundits summarised the game, thinking **** not Wayne, when mckay played his quarterback pass over the top for him,,them time slowing down as he managed to control it, then slot it cool as you like into the net...the scenes after it hit the net I'll take to my grave 😂🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

Edited by millerjames398
Spell error

All roads lead to Gorgie

I still remember that as one of the maddest celebrations ever. I started near the back of the terracing and ended up half way down. I still don't know how no barriers got in the way but it all happened in seconds. 

I remember seeing Wayne running towards goal and I think everyone was expecting him to blaze it over or hit it straight at Leighton but seeing the ball emerge from under the keeper and roll into the net was brilliant. 

been here before

30 years, 'kin hell.

Middle of the Dunbar end to the bottom and back up again whilst barely touching the ground, tinfoil keys, smasing windows and car alarms going off as thousands of us bounced up Easter Road following the game.

Amazing scenes. 

Remember us all thinking our name was on the cup after that...which lasted about 5mins when the draw for the next round put us at Ibrox. 😐🤣

Finlay James

30 years 😳

I was 16 and you could see my middle parting bouncing around on the TV during the celebration.  It was mental and only matched since for pure limbs at Anfield.

Corstorphine Jambo

Absolute chaos when that went in. Think the whole crowd moved down a few rows - bit of a squash down the front as you can see from the photo of Foster on the fence.

As an aside, is that Jock Brown commentating with his brother Craig as the pundit?

What a day. My brother’s 21st birthday.

It’s the big 5-1 for him tomorrow.

50 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Amazing scenes. 

Remember us all thinking our name was on the cup after that...which lasted about 5mins when the draw for the next round put us at Ibrox. 😐🤣

I remember walking out after the game, going past the flats, and somebody had written the draw "Rangers v Hearts" and stuck it on their window. 

42 minutes ago, Corstorphine Jambo said:

Absolute chaos when that went in. Think the whole crowd moved down a few rows - bit of a squash down the front as you can see from the photo of Foster on the fence.

As an aside, is that Jock Brown commentating with his brother Craig as the pundit?

Jock Brown and Billy McNeill.

Corstorphine Jambo
7 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

Jock Brown and Billy McNeill.

Ah, of course it was. Cheers.

Loved the trips back in the day to the echodome, the sways in the terracing that day...  Brilliant Memories...

FTh, as always

PortyBeach
1 hour ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I still remember that as one of the maddest celebrations ever. I started near the back of the terracing and ended up half way down. I still don't know how no barriers got in the way but it all happened in seconds. 

I remember seeing Wayne running towards goal and I think everyone was expecting him to blaze it over or hit it straight at Leighton but seeing the ball emerge from under the keeper and roll into the net was brilliant. 

Yes, that was a reasonable expectation of Fozzy’s capabilities 😊.

As you say, watching the ball slipping under Leighton was just sublime…

frankblack
1 hour ago, millerjames398 said:

One of the very best days down there,,the 21 key getting waved on the telly as the pundits summarised the game, thinking **** not Wayne, when mckay played his quarterback pass over the top for him,,them time slowing down as he managed to control it, then slot it cool as you like into the net...the scenes after it hit the net I'll take to my grave 😂🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

I thought I was getting sent to mine as the force of the sway sent me down some distance into the fence.  

Toxteth O'Grady

Has anyone seen Super Wayne recently? I used to see him around Slateford regularly but haven’t seen him in ages. 

Mikey1874
16 minutes ago, NLTFTh said:

Loved the trips back in the day to the echodome, the sways in the terracing that day...  Brilliant Memories...

FTh, as always

We had some amount of wins there.

It became normal.

Shipwrecked
3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Still my favourite derby goal. I'd forgotten how good the pass and Wayne's first touch were. But the celebration was something else. Not the same in seats these days. 

4 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Cheers for posting that Mikey.

It lead me straight on to the 4-4 which brought that day all back, too.

Little wonder the Hibby is such a bitter, emailing b@5/@*d.

You could nutmeg Leighton with his legs shut. What a day that was.

30 years. My word, where does the time go. 

jambo_jim
4 hours ago, millerjames398 said:

Si Rennie from Penicuik was the lad with the key in the background.  Brilliant 🤣

colinmorewasgash

One of the greatest days at fester and there has been so many at san giro. We all knew wayne was rapid, but could he finish it, beaumont wasnt going to catch him, bandy legs comes out under legs, absolute carnage, was at top of that hill of cesspit dunbar end ended up halfway down lost old man for a bit lol. A wee malt whisky to toast for me tomorrow, its amazing that so many of our good but not great players have put them to sword and become legends and super wayne was one.

Odd how many of those games back in the day they apparently thrashed us in. And the longer it gets since then the stronger the lie gets. 

Mister Dee

One of the best goal celebrations I can remember -absolute carnage. 

Whenever I watched a Tv program or film with a time machine, the first time/place I would head to would be that match again, to experience the joy. 
Obviously, other matches since would get looked at first..! 16/5/98 & 19/5/12 to name 2. 
Terrible touch that came off Fozzies shin, but the goal celebrations were incredible & no one cared. 

Edited by Mister Dee

millerjames398
12 minutes ago, jambo_jim said:

Si Rennie from Penicuik was the lad with the key in the background.  Brilliant 🤣

😂😂😂brilliant a name to the hand and key,,after all these years 👏🏼👏🏼🤷🏼‍♂️legend 😂🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

To all who commented "wtf, 30 years" I completely agree.

Time flies when you're having fun (on derby day), I suppose. 

😁

Edited by martoon

Silvery_Moon

Amazing game. We had two attempts at goal (scored both) whereas they had about four. Scary period just before half time when they scored then almost scored a second but apart from that it looked a replay all the way until Wayne's late goal.

Zero minutes injury time added in the second half that day as well!

copa-mundial

One of the most iconic Derby celebrations, and there am I getting crushed at the very bottom of the fence alongside my brother and cousin. 

Can still remember it like it happened a few hours ago. 

Another well 'kent' face from that photo is Ian Hunter from Penicuik. Can't miss that tash anywhere. 

Top Jambo. 

Benny Klack
11 hours ago, Corstorphine Jambo said:

Pretty sure it was Billy McNeil

Derek Johnstone in the weird studio thing at the back of the away end looked mildly terrified at the end 😀

1st derby I remember watching at 11 years old. Dancing around my living room when Foster scored.

There was so much buzz leading up to this match I remember a lot of back and forth with Hibs and Hearts fans in my P7 class. 

Bazzas right boot

14 yr auld me and my date were there.

Absolute carnage, still remember it vividly, the ball just appearing from under his legs and bobbling in.

I fully expected their ch to take him out, no idea why he never

Geoff Kilpatrick
14 hours ago, Салатные палочки said:

30 years

:muggy:

This.

A mini claim to fame is that I'm in the famous picture in the Tynie Arms.

9 hours ago, Carter said:

You could nutmeg Leighton with his legs shut. What a day that was.

30 years. My word, where does the time go. 

Yup , couldn’t trap a pig in a close.

Only time I was in the enclosure at ER for a derby.  Had hardly taken my seat when Robbo scored the opener.   The winner was a sight to behold.  

The first few seconds you are celebrating in your own cocoon with whoever you’re with but I then looked over to the Dunbar End and the celebrations just never seemed to end. A great sight.  FTH. 🇱🇻

Corstorphine Jambo
1 hour ago, Benny Klack said:

Pretty sure it was Billy McNeil

Derek Johnstone in the weird studio thing at the back of the away end looked mildly terrified at the end 😀

👊

GlasgoJambo

Walked up from a mates house on the Shore getting dogs abuse from old Hibees. 
What a day. The celebration in the end after Fozzy scored is probably the best I’ve ever experienced. 

My strongest memory however is the sea of maroon walking down Albion Road after the game while a pack of rabid Hibs were kept at bay by a metal fence and the polis. Was electric. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
10 hours ago, jambo_jim said:

I spent some time drinking with him, and 2 of his mates, in the Kiwi bar in Riga.

Top bloke.

luckyBatistuta
33 minutes ago, GlasgoJambo said:

Walked up from a mates house on the Shore getting dogs abuse from old Hibees. 
What a day. The celebration in the end after Fozzy scored is probably the best I’ve ever experienced. 

My strongest memory however is the sea of maroon walking down Albion Road after the game while a pack of rabid Hibs were kept at bay by a metal fence and the polis. Was electric. 

Sadly wouldn’t get away with an electric fence these days😁

luckyBatistuta
13 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Has anyone seen Super Wayne recently? I used to see him around Slateford regularly but haven’t seen him in ages. 

Same, dropped him off a couple of times, but not seen him for a while.