Scotland squad

BigAlim

The recent form of Kelly at Motherwell got me thinking that it might not be unrealistic to expect both of our keepers to be on the plane to Germany. Then I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone’s squad would look like at this stage. Here’s a list based on previous squads, must pick 23:

Keepers

Gunn

Gordon

Clark

Kelly

McCrorie (imagine)

Defenders

Hendry

McKenna

Porteous

Souttar

Cooper

Tierney

Robertson

Taylor

Hickey

Patterson

Midfielders

McGinn

McTominay

McGregor

Gilmour

Ferguson

McLean

Jack

Armstrong

Christie

Strikers

Shankland

Adams

Dykes

Nisbet

Brown

There’s a couple of squad fillers that get picked quite a lot like Jack and McLean who I hope we can improve on, is there anyone from left field that could come in and improve that group?

Edited by BigAlim

5 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

The recent form of Kelly at Motherwell got me thinking that it might not be unrealistic to expect both of our keepers to be on the plane to Germany. Then I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone’s squad would look like at this stage. Here’s a list based on previous squads, must pick 23:

Keepers

Gunn

Gordon

Clark

Kelly

McCrorie (imagine)

Defenders

Hendry

McKenna

Porteous

Souttar

Cooper

Tierney

Robertson

Taylor

Hickey

Patterson

Midfielders

McGinn

McTominay

McGregor

Gilmour

Ferguson

McLean

Jack

Armstrong

Christie

Strikers

Shankland

Adams

Dykes

Nisbet

Brown

There’s a couple of squad fillers that get picked quite a lot like Jack and McLean who I hope we can improve on, is there anyone from left field that could come in and improve that group?

I realise I didn’t even pick my 23! I would have that lot minus McCrorie, Kelly, Cooper, Brown and Nisbet

at  the moment i would go (assuming all fit) 

1 Gunn

2 Gordon

3 Clark

4 Hendry

5 Porteous

6 McKenna

7 Tierney

8 Robertson

9 Hickey

10 Patterson

11 Hanley

12 McGinn

13 McTominay

14 McGregor

15 Gilmour

16 Ferguson

17 McLean

18 Jack

19 Armstrong

20 Shankland

21 Adams

22 Dykes

23 Christie

RustyRightPeg
8 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Keepers

Gunn

Gordon

Clark

Kelly

McCrorie (imagine)

Defenders

Hendry

McKenna

Porteous

Souttar

Cooper

Tierney

Robertson

Taylor

Hickey

Patterson

Midfielders

McGinn

McTominay

McGregor

Gilmour

Ferguson

McLean

Jack

Armstrong

Christie

Strikers

Shankland

Adams

Dykes

Nisbet

Brown

I don't think Nisbet goes.

Wouldn't shock me if Ryan Hardie goes instead.

karipidis
7 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Keepers

Gunn

Gordon

Clark

Kelly

McCrorie (imagine)

Defenders

Hendry

McKenna

Porteous

Souttar

Cooper

Tierney

Robertson

Taylor

Hickey

Patterson

Midfielders

McGinn

McTominay

McGregor

Gilmour

Ferguson

McLean

Jack

Armstrong

Christie

Strikers

Shankland

Adams

Dykes

Nisbet

Brown

Think if Harvey Barnes starts playing regularly at Newcastle he may get a call up, but dont think he should be shoehorned in after what the squad have achieved. The question now with Shankland isn't whether he should be in the squad, but whether he should be starting. For me he is the best we have got, but can see Adams being first pick. 

Getting that list down to 23 will not be easy! You've got 29, I think, so two keepers and four outfield players need to miss out.

McCrorie won't go and my gut is he'll only take whichever Hearts keeper is first choice for us come the end of the season. The outfield players I'd leave out would be Nisbet, Brown, Jack and probably Cooper. Assuming everyone else is fit and well.

The only left field additions I can think of would be the Newcastle boys who are eligible and we've been (allegedly) looking at, or possibly Josh Doig ahead of Greg Taylor? 

AGoodLaugh
7 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Keepers

Gunn

Gordon

Clark

Kelly

McCrorie (imagine)

Defenders

Hendry

McKenna

Porteous

Souttar

Cooper

Tierney

Robertson

Taylor

Hickey

Patterson

Midfielders

McGinn

McTominay

McGregor

Gilmour

Ferguson

McLean

Jack

Armstrong

Christie

Strikers

Shankland

Adams

Dykes

Nisbet

Brown

I agree with this and - based on nothing - I actually wonder if Clarke has had a word with Naismith regarding that. Gordon seems remarkably chilled about the current situation so maybe he's been told something? 

More likely he's just very professional but it had occurred to me. 

Chuck Berry

Keepers

Gunn

Gordon

Clark

Defenders

Hendry

McKenna

Porteous

Cooper

Tierney

Robertson

Hickey

Patterson

Midfielders

McGinn

McTominay

McGregor

Gilmour

Ferguson

McLean

Armstrong

Christie

Strikers

Shankland

Adams

Dykes

Fraser

Chuck Berry
3 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I don't think Nisbet goes.

Wouldn't shock me if Ryan Hardie goes instead.

Nisbet is likely to be out for the season with his hamstring

Rick Sanchez

It's a shame Doak wasn't able to kick on with his injuries. I would chance my luck with Harvey Barnes as I don't think he's a long term solution for England.

Gordon will play for England. Anderson can away to ****. I'd ask the question of Livramento.

jamboinglasgow

1. Gunn

2. Clark

3. Gordon

4. Hendry

5. Hanley

6. McKenna

7. Souttar

8. Hickey

9. Tierney

10. Robertson

11. Paterson

12. McGinn

13. McTominay

14. McGregor

15. Gilmour

16. Ferguson

17. McLean

18. Armstrong

19. Barnes

20. Shankland

21. Adams

22. Dykes

23. Christie

One thing its good to see that its a tough squad to get into, I do think Harvey Barnes will declare for Scotland. I imagine he will be called up for the friendlies next month. It also wouldn't surprise me if we called up another player likes Barnes (who does not play for Newcastle and it seems all those kind of players we have targeted play for Newcastle.)  

There is a risk Hickey might not make the Euros as his injury is taking longer than expected. 

Luckies1874
12 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

1 Gunn

2 Gordon

3 Clark

4 Hendry

5 Porteous

6 McKenna

7 Tierney

8 Robertson

9 Hickey

10 Patterson

11 Hanley

12 McGinn

13 McTominay

14 McGregor

15 Gilmour

16 Ferguson

17 McLean

18 Jack

19 Armstrong

20 Shankland

21 Adams

22 Dykes

23 Christie

Think this is very close. I believe Souttar, should he stay fit (always questionable), will come into the conversation. 

Luckies1874
10 minutes ago, AGoodLaugh said:

I agree with this and - based on nothing - I actually wonder if Clarke has had a word with Naismith regarding that. Gordon seems remarkably chilled about the current situation so maybe he's been told something? 

More likely he's just very professional but it had occurred to me. 

Also think there is a chance that Gordon plays post split, given 3rd will be done and dusted, plus hopefully a cup semi and final and then is right in the reckoning along with Clarke as the No2. 

12 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

1. Gunn

2. Clark

3. Gordon

4. Hendry

5. Hanley

6. McKenna

7. Souttar

8. Hickey

9. Tierney

10. Robertson

11. Paterson

12. McGinn

13. McTominay

14. McGregor

15. Gilmour

16. Ferguson

17. McLean

18. Armstrong

19. Barnes

20. Shankland

21. Adams

22. Dykes

23. Christie

One thing its good to see that its a tough squad to get into, I do think Harvey Barnes will declare for Scotland. I imagine he will be called up for the friendlies next month. It also wouldn't surprise me if we called up another player likes Barnes (who does not play for Newcastle and it seems all those kind of players we have targeted play for Newcastle.)  

There is a risk Hickey might not make the Euros as his injury is taking longer than expected. 

Hickey missing would be a big blow, the one player I forgot to mention was Ralston who would likely come in to play back up to Patterson

Samuel Camazzola

I believe Cairney would be a great addition and enhancement to the squad. Has been superb of late and there hasn't been any public announcements from either parties to explain his past exclusions. 

Jamboross

GK

Gunn

Gordon

Clark

Defenders

Robertson

Hickey

Tierney

Hendry

Hanley

Porteous

Doig

Patterson

McKenna

Midfielders

McGinn

McGregor

McTominay

Gilmour

Ferguson

Armstrong 

McLean

Forwards

Shankland

Adams

Conway

Christie 

Swap in Barnes for either Conway or Christie if he declares.

N Lincs Jambo

Both Hickey and Nisbet are injured. Not sure Nisbet would definitely make the squad but Hickey definitely would if fit. The Brentford manager recently said he had no idea when Hickey would be back.

If Gordon doesn’t start playing regularly he won’t being going to euros imo

Kelly is shite but Clarke is loyal to the players and generally doesn’t make massive squad changes.

joondalupjambo
3 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Is the correct answer 👍

Alex MacDonald

If Hickey’s injury rules him out, a strong finish to the season, and a couple of stunning free kicks, won’t do Stephen Kingsley’s chances any harm. 

jamboinglasgow
1 minute ago, Alex MacDonald said:

If Hickey’s injury rules him out, a strong finish to the season, and a couple of stunning free kicks, won’t do Stephen Kingsley’s chances any harm. 

Not really, the issue for Scotland is Hickey is a right back. So if he is out he will be replaced by a right back.

2 hours ago, Hannibal said:

1 Gunn

2 Gordon

3 Clark

4 Hendry

5 Porteous

6 McKenna

7 Tierney

8 Robertson

9 Hickey

10 Patterson

11 Hanley

12 McGinn

13 McTominay

14 McGregor

15 Gilmour

16 Ferguson

17 McLean

18 Jack

19 Armstrong

20 Shankland

21 Adams

22 Dykes

23 Christie

Souttar over Porteous for me, otherwise it looks good

Benny Klack

Just as a sidebar to this topic - has it now moved on from whether or not Shanks is on the plane to whether or not he starts games? Madness to leave him out if he carries on this form. 

jambo mark

My hope this that once 3rd is done and dusted, CG gets the gloves till the end of the season to give him the chance to get into the squad with some match practice. 

Gunn, Gordon, Clark

Hickey, Patterson

Hendry, Porteous, Souttar, McKenna, Cooper

Tierney, Robertson, Doig 

McGregor, Gilmour, McGinn, McTominay, Ferguson, Armstrong, Christie

Shankland, Adams, Dykes 

3 hours ago, Chaps said:

Kelly is shite but Clarke is loyal to the players and generally doesn’t make massive squad changes.

I fairly strongly feel the opposite way. Gunn will go as the starter. Gordon will go as #2, because he has bags of experience, he’s fit and he’s playing (even if it’s only Cup games). I think Clarke will have him in there for his influence on the squad, even if he is keeper #3 (in other words, no chance of playing). Third spot is between Clark and Kelly - Clark I’d say was in pole position right now.

hmfcbilly
4 hours ago, karipidis said:

Think if Harvey Barnes starts playing regularly at Newcastle he may get a call up, but dont think he should be shoehorned in after what the squad have achieved. The question now with Shankland isn't whether he should be in the squad, but whether he should be starting. For me he is the best we have got, but can see Adams being first pick. 

Has Harvey Barnes declared himself available for selection for Scotland? If not, I wouldn't be selecting him or any of the English players tbh.  If they still want to be part of the scotland squad after these euros then I'd call them up for next qualifying campaign. 

Tommy Brown

Would like see Tom Cairney of Fulham back in.

Good player and a good shot in him.

Upgrade on Jack and McLean.

Ricardo Quaresma
1 minute ago, Bainy said:

When does he announce his euros squad? 

Think there's 3 friendlies first

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, Doc Rob said:

I fairly strongly feel the opposite way. Gunn will go as the starter. Gordon will go as #2, because he has bags of experience, he’s fit and he’s playing (even if it’s only Cup games). I think Clarke will have him in there for his influence on the squad, even if he is keeper #3 (in other words, no chance of playing). Third spot is between Clark and Kelly - Clark I’d say was in pole position right now.

Would agree, Clark knows what he gets from Gordon, a very experienced and capable keeper. Also unless McLaughlin gets called up, he will be the only keeper who was at Euro 2020. I think as long as he showing some game time that he has not lost it, then he will be there even if Clark is getting the majority of the games for Hearts. I do agree the third place spot should be for the most on form Scottish keeper thats not the first two. Clark is miles ahead of the rest so should be called up.

karipidis
2 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

Clark and Kelly is not a debate at the moment. Both Hearts goalies should, and fairly certain will, go to the Euros. 

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Would like see Tom Cairney of Fulham back in.

Good player and a good shot in him.

Upgrade on Jack and McLean.

Good player but he’s not interested in playing for Scotland 

Borders Jambo

I'd love to see Kingsley have a storming end to the season just to make SC think.

Having Naismith as your Manager and given his relationship with SC on the coaching side, may help as well.

vladisacoward
2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Personally wouldn't have Porteous near any Scotland squad. 

Absolutely right. 

Tommy Brown
6 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Good player but he’s not interested in playing for Scotland 

Just read up on him. He will be 33 soon.

The boat has sailed that way also.

jimbojambo

Hickey, Tierney and Nisbet are all injured and may not play again this season. Cooper, Patterson and Porteous aren't regular starters and Jack seldom plays. I feel Kingsley is playing really well and must be a contender for recall if he goes with form. 

Edited by jimbojambo

Luckies1874
3 hours ago, jimbojambo said:

Hickey, Tierney and Nisbet are all injured and may not play again this season. Cooper, Patterson and Porteous aren't regular starters and Jack seldom plays. I feel Kingsley is playing really well and must be a contender for recall if he goes with form. 

Tierney is back fit and in the Sociedad squad this weekend. 

Luckies1874
13 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Gunn, Gordon, Clark

Hickey, Patterson

Hendry, Porteous, Souttar, McKenna, Cooper

Tierney, Robertson, Doig 

McGregor, Gilmour, McGinn, McTominay, Ferguson, Armstrong, Christie

Shankland, Adams, Dykes 

Hanley is an absolute certainty if fit. 

kingantti1874
3 hours ago, jimbojambo said:

fair enough but actions speak louder than words, when he had his chance he didn’t take it.  Now he fancies walking it so he can get a run out at the euros? Big no from me. 

tartofmidlothian
15 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

12 hours ago, karipidis said:

Clark and Kelly is not a debate at the moment. Both Hearts goalies should, and fairly certain will, go to the Euros. 

I'm with both of you, we need three keepers and Gordon is first choice if fit, if not it's Gunn, Clark and Kelly in that order. He'd be silly not to take a fit Gordon because of his influence and experience, then it's the next two on the list.

I wouldn't be surprised to see both Gordon and Clark on the plane, but also not surprised if Gunn ends up playing all our games, barring injury.

hmfc_liam06

Porteous has been pretty good in a Scotland jersey. Absolutely no way he isn't in the squad.

Fozzyonthefence
38 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

I'm with both of you, we need three keepers and Gordon is first choice if fit, if not it's Gunn, Clark and Kelly in that order. He'd be silly not to take a fit Gordon because of his influence and experience, then it's the next two on the list.

I wouldn't be surprised to see both Gordon and Clark on the plane, but also not surprised if Gunn ends up playing all our games, barring injury.

Gunn will definitely play all the games.   Not sure Gordon will make the squad if he’s only played 3 or 4 cup games but for me he should be getting back in the Hearts team now.  At 70/80% he’s still a better keeper than Clark (or probably any other keeper in the league bar Butland) but at some point we need to find out if he still has it at 41 after a year out.