Cup Final '98

JohnB

Салатные палочки
56 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

The club hadn't produced any cup winning merchandise and didn't until ages after the final.

The ones the players are wearing were sold by a brave street vendor who took the risk of making them up. They were on sale on Gorgie Road the night of the final and the Sunday. 

I still have mine in a box in the attic and they come up on Ebay quite a bit.

I wanted one but ended up with a maroon "Scottish Cup Winners" one bought in Dalry Road on the Sunday morning. 

1 hour ago, queensferryjambo said:

The club hadn't produced any cup winning merchandise and didn't until ages after the final.

The ones the players are wearing were sold by a brave street vendor who took the risk of making them up. They were on sale on Gorgie Road the night of the final and the Sunday. 

Thanks for that. I'll maybe keepan eye on ebay.

glynnlondon
7 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

🤣

Pity the term 'Schadenfreude' wasn't around then; she'd only have decrypted it when she got home

Then again, your average hibby would probably switch their attention to the next bit of tinfoil instead 🤣

She probably had a brother waiting in bed for her at home 

Will never forget that day. Wasn’t an ST holder, only managed to get tickets because my brother and his mate had been to a random league game v St J. First time I ever met my wife’s parents - and then my flatmate and I put on our face paint and her dad drove us to the game! The elation and the despair when we were all sure Rangers would get a penalty - and then they didn’t! Sitting on a sunny bank and being congratulated by some of the Rangers fans (I’ll say that for them). Some day.

Ricardo Quaresma
3 hours ago, glynnlondon said:

She probably had a brother waiting in bed for her at home 

Ask @Hansel, the brother was probably with her, he probably wouldn't recognise hansel due to not going to school ever 😁

It felt as if Willie Young played about 20 minutes injury time. The tension and nerves in that Hearts end was unbelievable, and will never be repeated. 

14 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

Took my son into club shop at the start of the following season to buy some “Cup Winners” merchandise - nothing!

Big commercial opportunity missed. 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, Sir PH said:

It felt as if Willie Young played about 20 minutes injury time. The tension and nerves in that Hearts end was unbelievable, and will never be repeated. 

Has anybody timed their recording of the game to check how long Willie played - it seemed like a lifetime! 🥴

queensferryjambo
7 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Took my son into club shop at the start of the following season to buy some “Cup Winners” merchandise - nothing!

Big commercial opportunity missed. 🤷‍♂️

It is incredible the small amount of official items Hearts produced. 

A cream and a maroon polo shirt, a T Shirt, a badge, the away strip with the Cup on it, a pennant, a crystal set and a bookmark is all I remember.

There was possibly more, but not much more.

1 hour ago, queensferryjambo said:

A cream and a maroon polo shirt, a T Shirt, a badge, the away strip with the Cup on it, a pennant, a crystal set and a bookmark is all I remember.

None of that in the shop when I visited. 🤷‍♂️

On 19/02/2024 at 02:18, JohnB said:

Was looking for some footage of Colin Cameron and came across this. Brilliant piece which captured how the team were feeling. It really should have had an X certificate but to be fair they were all high as kites - as we all were!

Cup Final '98

One of the best days of my life - it wasn't until I was writing my dad's eulogy that I realised just how much that day had meant to us both.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
15 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

The only memorabilia I have is a team photo. I assume it was official?

20240222_103458.jpg

8 hours ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

20240222_103458.jpg

Don't think it is Joey. I have one similar picked up on line

Edited by Thomaso

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
14 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Don't think it is Joey. I have one similar picked up on line

Makes sense. Think of the money we could have made. Might not have needed SMG.

I've still got my white Hearts away top that I wore to the game that day. Unfortunately, it doesn't look quite as good on a 53 year old as it did on a 27 year old.

maroonsgotop
10 hours ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

20240222_103458.jpg

The Hearts Shop sold these although some copies may have appeared later elsewhere

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
10 hours ago, maroonsgotop said:

The Hearts Shop sold these although some copies may have appeared later elsewhere

Thanks. I got it as a present, so I've got one idea where it came from.

ollie2004
On 21/02/2024 at 18:58, queensferryjambo said:

Daughter and I bought an Hearts scrap book and cut out various articles and photos and put them inside together with all that season's cup match programs and our semi and final match tickets. It is very special! Great memories.