Cup Final '98

JohnB

Was looking for some footage of Colin Cameron and came across this. Brilliant piece which captured how the team were feeling. It really should have had an X certificate but to be fair they were all high as kites - as we all were!

Cup Final '98

periodictabledancer

I went to the training camp in Warwick and met all the players , also got some programmes from JJ and BB. My lad was over the  moon at meeting them and still remembers it all. He's actually on camera on the rushes and the BBC edited out a bit of Adam wearing a "Celtic" shirt that was actally a S Lisbon shirt. 

Great times. 

Benny Klack
5 hours ago, JohnB said:

Was looking for some footage of Colin Cameron and came across this. Brilliant piece which captured how the team were feeling. It really should have had an X certificate but to be fair they were all high as kites - as we all were!

Cup Final '98

Awesome - hadn’ae seen this before!

Why, all these years later, do I get pre-match nerves watching this 😂😂😂

New Town Loafer
6 hours ago, JohnB said:

Cup Final '98

Brilliant video, mate.

Seen us win a Scottish Cup in every decade of my adult life . Just over five years left to win one in my 40 s as well 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

Mad to think I was only 5!

Thanks for that I was 48. 😭

New Town Loafer
Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

Thanks for that I was 48. 😭

👀 

Percival King
5 minutes ago, Weebroon98 said:

The greatest day being a hearts fan for me

Absolutely. Greatest day, greatest weekend, brilliant season (and Hibs played their part by getting relegated).  Difficult to realistically see how it will be bettered.

William H. Bonney
41 minutes ago, Weebroon98 said:

Aye, but the last 15 minutes or so are the most nervous I've probably been at a football match. 

PortyBeach
1 hour ago, Percival King said:

Absolutely. Greatest day, greatest weekend, brilliant season (and Hibs played their part by getting relegated).  Difficult to realistically see how it will be bettered.

Now, that’s what you call a “double whammy” 🤣

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Jim Duffy arrived in a helicopter in a high profile appointment, in 1996. Then sneaked out the tradesman's entrance like convict going to jail, after Olofsson's winner.

A week later we beat the Huns, and Edinburgh celebrated.

:rofl:

Go for it 1308

Definitely the greatest day of my Hearts life so far.... the emotions of pure fear, relief  and crying went through all of me and my mates at the game. We got home to watch them bring back the cup to gorgie...all of us pissed . Then off to pubs in Haymarket . I remember buying 6 pink newspapers....don't ask me why ffs! I then called my Hibbie dad from a pay phone. I couldn't speak as I was crying.  My dad just said..."well done son". Brilliant bloke🙂

4 hours ago, Weebroon98 said:

Yeah me too. After all the celebrations I somehow ended up at a Celtic fans party in Craigshill 🤣🤣🤣 "it's ok pal, there's a few jambos there" 😂

Edited by Marvin

Neil McCann won the SC 5 times. He was asked  on Sportscene which his favourite - he said the Hearts one hands down!

ollie2004
6 hours ago, Weebroon98 said:

And me, first time I had seen them lift the big cup, saw them beat Kiile in the wee cup, but had daughter with me I was 46 she was 11. We have both seen them win the big cup on the day 3 times. Hopefully 4 times this season. Why not!

Lone Striker
2 hours ago, Marvin said:

Yeah me too. After all the celebrations I somehow ended up at a Celtic fans party in Craigshill 🤣🤣🤣 "it's ok pal, there's a few jambos there" 😂

👍  We were amazed at the number of Sellick fans standing on pavements waving & cheering the Hearts buses as they headed east.

Its about the only time they've not thrown bricks through our windows.😜

been here before

In that order of Scottish Cup wins I've saw, but then its a generational thing I suppose. Time will tell where the 2024 win sits.

Finlay James

Greatest day of my Jambo life, won’t be beaten until we win the league.

That feeling at the final whistle…………relief, joy, disbelief, ecstasy and lots of tears, especially when Robbo lifted the cup.

William H. Bonney
52 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

👍  We were amazed at the number of Sellick fans standing on pavements waving & cheering the Hearts buses as they headed east.

Couldn't wait to buy us a pint in O'Neils on George Square in 98.

Couldn't wait to throw chairs and punches at us in the same bar in 06.

vladisacoward
8 hours ago, Percival King said:

My best mate and me both went to the bibs v Dundee Utd relegation game! We were there to watch them go down! Sat in the main stand as it was then. Absolutely hilarious stuff to sit in amongst them and watch the despair! It was only when we were walking away from fester rd immediately after that we both realised given the large numbers of wee team pals, acquaintances and enemies we both had that if any of them had seen us in amongst them purely to revel in their demise that we’d have probably been skinned alive and that would have been just by our hibby pals never mind the enemies! We hurried away quickly and only once we got up as far as town did we start the revelry!! We drank all the way back to gorgie celebrating as we went! A great day but with a much better one to follow at darkhead in the days ahead! Happy times!

9 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

True, but I started at a party in Gorgie :rofl:

John Findlay
58 minutes ago, glynnlondon said:

I ended up smashing some Celtic bird about 3am up blackheath 🤣

We used to call it the arse in the old days🤣

10 hours ago, vladisacoward said:

My best mate and me both went to the bibs v Dundee Utd relegation game! We were there to watch them go down! Sat in the main stand as it was then. Absolutely hilarious stuff to sit in amongst them and watch the despair! It was only when we were walking away from fester rd immediately after that we both realised given the large numbers of wee team pals, acquaintances and enemies we both had that if any of them had seen us in amongst them purely to revel in their demise that we’d have probably been skinned alive and that would have been just by our hibby pals never mind the enemies! We hurried away quickly and only once we got up as far as town did we start the revelry!! We drank all the way back to gorgie celebrating as we went! A great day but with a much better one to follow at darkhead in the days ahead! Happy times!

I was at that Hibs game and  was spotted by a lassie from school who started screeching at me "what are you doing here? Aren't you a Jambo?" as we were exiting the stadium. 

I kept my head down and went in the opposite direction. Think they were all to deflated to give a shit in any case.

TexasAndy

Watching that video brought tears to my eyes especially as the team bus makes it's way back to Gorgie.  Funniest moment was Quitongo on the pitch pre match saying to Pointon "Have a break, have a ****ing Kit Kat"  Brilliant!

Edited by TexasAndy

I wonder about the T shirts the team were wearing at Tynecastle at the end.  Did the players keep them as souvenirs I wonder, or were they auctioned off or something ?. Would be nice to have one of those. Were they ever sold in the club shop ?

ColinSmith1255

I had been living in Newcastle for about 10 years in 98. I had a season ticket at St James. I was at the semi final against Falkirk but had a real dilemma for the final as Newcastle were playing Arsenal at Wembley on the same day. My Newcastle pals persuaded me to go to Wembley. I went to the wrong game. I have regretted it ever since. 
I moved back to Scotland in 1999 and Tynecastle became my only “home” again.

Anthony Brown

Nice thread folks. Just a quick note to say if of any interest, my book on the 98 Scottish Cup win, Reminiscing with Legends, is available to buy here https://legends98.bigcartel.com/ built around significant input from Jim Jefferies, the players and others close to the story. Cheers 

luckyBatistuta

Still the greatest day ever for me following Hearts. Even better for a friend of mine, he got to drive the bus.

PortyBeach
On 19/02/2024 at 02:18, JohnB said:

Cup Final '98

Brilliant find,JB. Thanks for posting.

I found myself transported back to the moment and my eyes started welling-up. 
No more “nae cups in Gorgie” ya bassas…😊

pettigrewsstylist

The day we became the bride. Never been a day like it in my life since tbh!

periodictabledancer
4 hours ago, ColinSmith1255 said:

I had been living in Newcastle for about 10 years in 98. I had a season ticket at St James. I was at the semi final against Falkirk but had a real dilemma for the final as Newcastle were playing Arsenal at Wembley on the same day. My Newcastle pals persuaded me to go to Wembley. I went to the wrong game. I have regretted it ever since. 
I moved back to Scotland in 1999 and Tynecastle became my only “home” again.

:lol:

There was some Geordies at Parkhead and one of them was one of the first on the pitch at the final whistle , wearing his Magpies top, completely off his t*ts. 

I had a last gasp pint in a boozer at Parkhead and the only thing I can remember is the glass doors being smashed in (not a euphemism) and chatting to some nice old Celtic fans who really wanted us to get it right up Rangers. 

Jamhammer
On 19/02/2024 at 13:01, Weebroon98 said:

Beat me to it

Cried like a baby

FarmerTweedy
On 19/02/2024 at 13:44, William H. Bonney said:

Aye, but the last 88 minutes or so are the most nervous I've probably been at a football match. 

FTFY!

Ricardo Quaresma
7 hours ago, Hansel said:

I was at that Hibs game and  was spotted by a lassie from school who started screeching at me "what are you doing here? Aren't you a Jambo?" as we were exiting the stadium. 

I kept my head down and went in the opposite direction. Think they were all to deflated to give a shit in any case.

🤣

Pity the term 'Schadenfreude' wasn't around then; she'd only have decrypted it when she got home

Then again, your average hibby would probably switch their attention to the next bit of tinfoil instead 🤣

Go for it 1308
8 hours ago, whodanny said:

I wonder about the T shirts the team were wearing at Tynecastle at the end.  Did the players keep them as souvenirs I wonder, or were they auctioned off or something ?. Would be nice to have one of those. Were they ever sold in the club shop ?

I bought one of those from a street vendor on gorgie Road on the Sunday after

8 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

Watching that video brought tears to my eyes especially as the team bus makes its way back to Gorgie.  Funniest moment was Quitongo on the pitch pre match saying to Pointon "Have a break, have a ****ing Kit Kat"  Brilliant!

On the bus back home most of us were exhausted and sat in happy silence savouring the moment. When we hit the dual carriageway at Sitehill it was a fantastic sight - whole families clapping at the roadside, hanging out of windows waving flags, firemen cheering from the roof of their fire engine. Just fantastic! ❤️🏆

Салатные палочки

Incredible day and watching that brings back so many good memories and, as someone mentioned above, nerves for some mad reason. 

Without doubt, the best day I have experienced as a Hearts fan and Im sure anyone who was there will agree. 

Exile fae Main Street
On 19/02/2024 at 13:01, Weebroon98 said:

Me too still get the shivers those last minutes (felt like hours) after McCoist scored then the outburst of emotion at the end. Strange, probably because I was away from Edinburgh by then, it seemed like the end of an Era. Odd. But Love never dies 🤎🤎🤎

4 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

🤣

Pity the term 'Schadenfreude' wasn't around then; she'd only have decrypted it when she got home

Then again, your average hibby would probably switch their attention to the next bit of tinfoil instead 🤣

😆  i can still see her face all contorted with rage 

:jjyay:

Also went to the Hibs Airdrie playoff final at ER the season before. In the Airdrie end which was the lower tier. The upper tier was hibs. One vermin fan shat in a bag and threw it down into the away end 🤮 

game ended 1-0 to hibs (stevie cooper OG i think)

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
16 minutes ago, Hansel said:

😆  i can still see her face all contorted with rage 

:jjyay:

Also went to the Hibs Airdrie playoff final at ER the season before. In the Airdrie end which was the lower tier. The upper tier was hibs. One vermin fan shat in a bag and threw it down into the away end 🤮 

game ended 1-0 to hibs (stevie cooper OG i think)

:rofl:They're scum, *******s, who make Celtic seem classy.

queensferryjambo
23 hours ago, been here before said:

In that order of Scottish Cup wins I've saw, but then its a generational thing I suppose. Time will tell where the 2024 win sits.

I presume you mean which ones you enjoyed the most and you don't have a time machine?  ;) 

BTW I was at all 3 and would go 2012, 1998 then 2006.

queensferryjambo
11 hours ago, whodanny said:

The club hadn't produced any cup winning merchandise and didn't until ages after the final.

The ones the players are wearing were sold by a brave street vendor who took the risk of making them up. They were on sale on Gorgie Road the night of the final and the Sunday. 

I still have mine in a box in the attic and they come up on Ebay quite a bit.