Joe Savage and the Recruitment Team

BackOfTheNet

Bull's-eye

As usual on here, ignoring the financial state of the club isn't relevant when we are doing well. The opposite gets flung around of course when we're struggling. 3rd biggest budget and all that. 

While patience in Football isn't exactly a sellable asset, it's been very very clear from the offset that balancing club infrastructure was going to take its toll on the 1st team squad, talk of previous managerial appointments is moon howling claptrap. The financial state of the club now and say 4 or 5 years ago is miles apart, never mind previous. 

The fact is, due to financial diligence we can now recruit better players because we have more money. Hopefully as the need for infrastructure lessens and with a hungry coach at the helm we see an even bigger budget set aside for players. 

This current wave we're riding is because of years of hard graft by the hierarchy, they deserve more credit than anyone in my opinion.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BackOfTheNet

• Jim Panzee

• JamboAl

• Bazzas right boot

spacerjoe
On 18/02/2024 at 10:28, BackOfTheNet said:

Thought I’d start a thread on the recruitment. Some are quick to criticise when things aren’t going well, but we’re not quick to praise when things are going well.

I don’t have a strong feeling either way about Savage or the recruitment team to be honest. But I find it a bit odd when we had times where we faltered under Neilson and at the start of this season Savage and the recruitment team were getting it in the neck for supposed bad recruitment, but now we’re unbeaten in 12 it’s all because of great management. (I should stress that I think Naismith is doing an amazing job, and although I wanted him to begin with, I had some doubts earlier on this season which have truly been quashed)

If we look at our starting line up yesterday, I think only Kingsley was recruited before Savage came in. (Shankland to be fair was a Neilson signing though) On the bench it was only Gordon who was signed before he came in and Tait and Denholm obviously from the youth. So most of the team delivering on the park were recruited by the current crop, and we should give kudos for that.

Yes there have been players that haven’t worked out, but name me one club on the planet where that’s not the case. (Hint: you can’t) And we’ve been close to signings of players like Adebayo and Silvera who are doing good things at good levels in England. Supposedly far down the line with the likes of Branthwaite and Obafemi on loan in the past too. Only reason we didn’t get these players was we were outbid by clubs with more money than us, no shame in that. Also linked with players like Lee Seung-woo and Riku Handa, which on paper at least looked like interesting/exciting signings.

So, while we’re riding a crest of a wave, let’s take a moment to give appreciation for all aspects of the club that have contributed towards where we are, which includes the recruitment team. :smile:

Probs only fair to name check William Lancefield for praise, seeing as he was also singled out on his own thread and asked to get to ****.

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

As usual on here, ignoring the financial state of the club isn't relevant when we are doing well. The opposite gets flung around of course when we're struggling. 3rd biggest budget and all that. 

While patience in Football isn't exactly a sellable asset, it's been very very clear from the offset that balancing club infrastructure was going to take its toll on the 1st team squad, talk of previous managerial appointments is moon howling claptrap. The financial state of the club now and say 4 or 5 years ago is miles apart, never mind previous. 

The fact is, due to financial diligence we can now recruit better players because we have more money. Hopefully as the need for infrastructure lessens and with a hungry coach at the helm we see an even bigger budget set aside for players. 

This current wave we're riding is because of years of hard graft by the hierarchy, they deserve more credit than anyone in my opinion.

Good post and we're on our way on the pitch.

3rd, 4th, 3rd is far more consistent than similar sized clubs in hibs and Aberdeen resc

We've also been to 2 sc finals recently and are looking at 2 x sf this season- at least.

Next season we will be in Europe and looking for that elusive consecutive 3rd place finish and as you say we are in a great position of the field to deliver that.

It's amazing that 3/4 months ago "every one oot" was the cry by many!

Unbelievable really.

Bull's-eye
2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Good post and we're on our way on the pitch.

3rd, 4th, 3rd is far more consistent than similar sized clubs in hibs and Aberdeen resc

We've also been to 2 sc finals recently and are looking at 2 x sf this season- at least.

Next season we will be in Europe and looking for that elusive consecutive 3rd place finish and as you say we are in a great position of the field to deliver that.

It's amazing that 3/4 months ago "every one oot" was the cry by many!

Unbelievable really.

Unfortunately in the era of social media and empty vessels screeching louder, its the way things are.

Turning up on a Saturday to watch your team is a thing of the past for many and something many have never done. These supporters get way more enjoyment blowing their own trumpets, doubt it'll ever change tbh.

Drop points at the weekend and its everybody ooooot !!