1st half v 2nd half

MR INCREDIBLE

Its an interesting approach TBF, I hadn't properly thought and considered that we're almost holding back a bit (not deliberately avoiding scoring or anything silly, just more managing the game a bit). 

Stats do speak for themselves. I wonder if this might have been what Robbie was doing too? Although, got to admit, Naismiths teams look far more incontrol of the flow and tempo of the game whereas under Robbie it felt more like we were starting sluggishly?

2 hours ago, HopeDiouf said:

He said it in his interview.  Somethig along the lines of 'that formation will work for us at times but players werent quite making enough runs with enough freedom'.

For me first half we had full control, but no threat, due to not quite getting enough numbers into the box

First half there was nothing much happening in the final 3rd, Benni looking up to play forward but very few options in front of him. When we did get forward there wasn't enough bodies in their box.

2nd half with Benni off we changed it about. I thought he subs were  good, all payed their part and with more attacking options available we were able to put Motherwell on the back foot (although they did have a flurry at the start of the second half) and I'm like Naisy I wanted more goals.

Oda be a JT
39 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

I want 50% of my season ticket refunded. That way I can spend it the pub until half time. I'd also suggest that Naismith does his half time talk at 2.50. Seriously even the rockets are beginning to realise that the game lasts 90 minutes plus and there's no panic if we don't blow teams away in the first half hour. The injection of pace with Vargas and Oda against a team that had spent most of the game chasing was great management.

Does your comment not include you in that then?! 😉

HopeDiouf
4 minutes ago, feej said:

First half there was nothing much happening in the final 3rd, Benni looking up to play forward but very few options in front of him. When we did get forward there wasn't enough bodies in their box.

2nd half with Benni off we changed it about. I thought he subs were  good, all payed their part and with more attacking options available we were able to put Motherwell on the back foot (although they did have a flurry at the start of the second half) and I'm like Naisy I wanted more goals.

Impression I got from the naismith interview was when we play with the 3 at back, he wants players to take a bit more risk with passing, and a bit more risk with making a forward run into the box to make up the extra man, buts it's on the players individually to pick the right moments to do it. And yesterday they didn't quite do that enough first half. So we ended up in control of ball but no real threat. 

2 minutes ago, feej said:

I thought Beni had enough options ahead of him to be trying some forward balls. TBH I think he's just a very risk averse player. Nothing wrong with that, but it does mean that forward balls from him are a bit of a rarity. 

My feeling with him is that unless the pass is 100% on, he's not comfortable making it and obviously as we get closer to the other teams goal there are more players defending, marking, pressing so that likelihood of successfully making the pass drops. He's not striking me as someone whose natural instinct is to go forward. 

Think Beni is at his best when its a competitive game, i.e closer to 50/50 possession than steamrolling them at 70%+ Against Celtic/Rangers/Aberdeen & Hibs he's probably played his best football for us. 

Fort Vallance
16 minutes ago, Oda be a JT said:

Does your comment not include you in that then?! 😉

You must sit near me !

17 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

Impression I got from the naismith interview was when we play with the 3 at back, he wants players to take a bit more risk with passing, and a bit more risk with making a forward run into the box to make up the extra man, buts it's on the players individually to pick the right moments to do it. And yesterday they didn't quite do that enough first half. So we ended up in control of ball but no real threat. 

I would agree with that.

18 minutes ago, OTT said:

I thought Beni had enough options ahead of him to be trying some forward balls. TBH I think he's just a very risk averse player. Nothing wrong with that, but it does mean that forward balls from him are a bit of a rarity. 

My feeling with him is that unless the pass is 100% on, he's not comfortable making it and obviously as we get closer to the other teams goal there are more players defending, marking, pressing so that likelihood of successfully making the pass drops. He's not striking me as someone whose natural instinct is to go forward. 

Think Beni is at his best when its a competitive game, i.e closer to 50/50 possession than steamrolling them at 70%+ Against Celtic/Rangers/Aberdeen & Hibs he's probably played his best football for us. 

Wouldn't disagree with any of that. i think we could do with moving the ball slightly faster at times but I'm happy with how things are going.

Motherwell came for draw y'day banks of 5 and 4 switching to 4 and 5 but as soon as they went behind there was only going to be one winner.

beerbandit
2 hours ago, EH11 2NL said:

Can't remember the last Hearts manager that could positively affect the game so often by making changes. It's almost every game, he's won us a lot of points by doing so. 

He's won a lot of points by changing to a back four second half. IMO we should only play a back three at ibrox and parkhead

hmfc_liam06
6 hours ago, karipidis said:

There weren’t loads of boos at all tbf. Crowd definitely becoming more patient, and understanding of the tasks that face us when teams come to tynecastle and just sit in. 

I didn’t say there were loads tbf.

There were “some” boos.

maroonsgotop
8 hours ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

If my maths is correct ( probably not) since the Hibs game at Xmas we have scored 18 goals in the 2nd half of games compared to 4 in the 1st half.

This also includes 3 first half goals v Airdrie.

Pretty remarkable but not that bothered as long as we keep winning 🇱🇻🇱🇻

by my reckoning in our last 8 league games the stats are as follow;

first half

goals scored 0

goals conceded 3

6 games were 0-0 at half time, 1 @ 0-1, 1 @ 0-2

second half 

goals scored 16

goals conceded 4

7 wins, 1 draw