1st half v 2nd half

MR INCREDIBLE

MR INCREDIBLE

If my maths is correct ( probably not) since the Hibs game at Xmas we have scored 18 goals in the 2nd half of games compared to 4 in the 1st half.

This also includes 3 first half goals v Airdrie.

Pretty remarkable but not that bothered as long as we keep winning šŸ‡±šŸ‡»šŸ‡±šŸ‡»

hmfc_liam06

You only need to look at the first half yesterday where Motherwell were quite happy to allow us all the possession in the world while they sat with 10 behind the ball. Teams are happy to get a draw out of a Hearts game so the numbers make total sense.

We are looking better at cutting out the sloppy first half goals and then having to play catch up. This was the annoying thing.Ā 

Ā 

In the past we would blow teams away in the first 30-45 and manage the game from there. Whether by design or accident we are now doing it the opposite way round and its working.

Ā 

Take yesterday for example. That may have just been the strongest subs bench we have had all season. Motherwell couldn't cope with our options.

Edited by Homme

BackOfTheNet

I think Naismith sets up to not concede in the first half, and he uses that half to analyse the opposition and how theyā€™re set up. We have turned draws into wins because of in game changes, and itā€™s because he recognises whatā€™s going on on the pitch. Sure Iā€™d like us to get the analysis to the point we can get at teams from the off, but as long as Naismith continues to recognise the game pattern and act accordingly, then itā€™s all good.

Teams gameplans for years has been to try to frustrate us and turn the crowd if we canā€™t score early - it feel like weā€™ve sussed that now and are employing a more patient approach in the first half. We have nothing to panic about and we know it.
Ā 

Then eventually once they start to wear down we ramp up the intensity and basically dominate for the closing 30-40 minutes. We use our squad well and teams canā€™t handle it once we start to increase the pressure.

hmfc_liam06
7 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Teams gameplans for years has been to try to frustrate us and turn the crowd if we canā€™t score early - it feel like weā€™ve sussed that now and are employing a more patient approach in the first half. We have nothing to panic about and we know it.
Ā 

Then eventually once they start to wear down we ramp up the intensity and basically dominate for the closing 30-40 minutes. We use our squad well and teams canā€™t handle it once we start to increase the pressure.

And yet there were still some boos at HT yesterday šŸ˜‚

Benny Klack

For me this indicates two pointsā€¦

Ā 

1. We have a very good manager who can clearly see the tactical changes required to win gamesĀ 

Ā 

2. We have a strong squad that is big on quality and therefore a subs bench to enable us to easily completely change our set up to see us through games.Ā 

Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

No doubt! But at least the players arenā€™t getting affected by it, they block the noise outĀ 

1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The fans needs patience and trust in the process. 5 subs is also really helping us with the players and intensity we can bring on

Benny Klack
Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yeah noticed this in the Wheatfield yesterday. I guess like the players took a few weeks to adapt to our manager, the fans will need to as well. Teams come to Tynecastle to stop us playing - we need to break them down. This takes patience and learning not to panic. Our support needs to learn this also.Ā 

Benny Klack
Just now, thejoff said:

The fans needs patience and trust in the process. 5 subs is also really helping us with the players and intensity we can bring on

šŸ’Æ

karipidis
3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

There werenā€™t loads of boos at all tbf. Crowd definitely becoming more patient, and understanding of the tasks that face us when teams come to tynecastle and just sit in.Ā 

I'm not a booer, and tbf i didn't really hear any yesterday,Ā  but that first half was miles below standard, it was back to the worst of the early season.Ā  Risk free but still managed to give up the better chances.

Ā 

Obviously it's harder to break down a fresh team but there were still too many safe recycled passes when we could have been more progressive through the middle.Ā 

Bazzas right boot

It's clearly tactical.Ā 

Ā 

Yesterday,Ā  in the 1st half we dominated play and moved the ball around fast, Motherwell well knackered at ht.

We ofc would like to score or test their gk more,Ā  but Naismith is 100% playing the 90 minute game.

Ā 

They " had a go" for about 5-10 mins in tbe 2nd half which resulted in an end to end game until we taken control again and dominated,Ā  this time as Motherwell tired and with the subs we created far more and won the game.

Ā 

Naismith is usingĀ  the squad wellĀ  and this 1st half/ 2nd half pattern is by design.

Ā 

Folk not recognising this probably still won't.Ā  Remarkable.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Jack Torrance

The way teams are setting up when they come to us, means it takes until about the hour mark before we go into another transition and up the pace. You could see it clearly when we made the substitutions yesterday with Tait and Oda coming on.

Ā 

It's a different proposition next weekend and will be interesting to see how we've improved against teams who will be more open.

Bazzas right boot
28 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Ā 

Can't stop the rockets being rockets, unfortunately.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

This is My Story Podcast
19 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

I'm not a booer, and tbf i didn't really hear any yesterday,Ā  but that first half was miles below standard, it was back to the worst of the early season.Ā  Risk free but still managed to give up the better chances.

Ā 

Obviously it's harder to break down a fresh team but there were still too many safe recycled passes when we could have been more progressive through the middle.Ā 

Mustā€™ve watched a different first half to me. I thought Hearts were utterly dominant in the first half, control most of the match without being clinical. They had a deflected shot from 40 yards and one brain fart from us. Felt like we played with confidence knowing weā€™d get a goal. And once we got the goal, it couldā€™ve been 3 or 4.Ā 
Ā 

This side is full of confidence and swagger. Itā€™s all really patient when teams come to sit in. I enjoyed yesterday.Ā 

Kirky Jambo

Motherwell came with a clear game plan and executed it well until they got knackered and we put them to the sword. Subs made a big impact.

Ā 

Not dissimilar to the Aberdeen game.

1 minute ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

Mustā€™ve watched a different first half to me. I thought Hearts were utterly dominant in the first half, control most of the match without being clinical. They had a deflected shot from 40 yards and one brain fart from us. Felt like we played with confidence knowing weā€™d get a goal. And once we got the goal, it couldā€™ve been 3 or 4.Ā 
Ā 

This side is full of confidence and swagger. Itā€™s all really patient when teams come to sit in. I enjoyed yesterday.Ā 

We didn't have a shot in the first half.Ā  It was slow and safe, so if you thought we were dominant then absolutely we saw two different games.Ā Ā 

Ā 

We took an hour to get going yesterday.Ā  After that we were very good, but I'll guarantee Naismith wasn't happy with that first 45 especially

17 minutes ago, WDJ87 said:

Didn't hear any boos, so can't have been many. Sit in the Wheatfield.

Same here, I sit in ā€˜Dā€™ and I didnā€™t hear any. There were some moaning about Motherwell anti football tactics but that was all I heard.

Tynecastle Valhalla
3 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

We didn't have a shot in the first half.Ā  It was slow and safe, so if you thought we were dominant then absolutely we saw two different games.Ā Ā 

Ā 

We took an hour to get going yesterday.Ā  After that we were very good, but I'll guarantee Naismith wasn't happy with that first 45 especially

frasersā€™ shot from the edge of the box looked on target in the first halfĀ 

Ā 

Forrest had a shot from a cross that hit the defender on its way to goal as well and it looked like it could have been a hand ball or at least a var checkĀ 

49 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Ā 

Yup.

Ā 

Also there have been plenty games weve smashed teams early but just not scored.

Ā 

But all in all we control games and up the tempo when we need.

Ā 

Listening to Naisy, i think he wants that first half braver and more intense tho, so while our patience is great and working, he obv feels theres another gear or two in the team which is great.

davemclaren
46 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I didn't hear any near me but people were certainly a bit frustrated. Ā It's the burden of expectation. Ā 

10 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

Ā 

But who's to say the second half doesn't happen without the first?

Ā 

Agree Naisy wont have loved the first 45 but at the same time, our team always looks in control imo.

Ā 

Fury sometimes goes out swinging, but more often he boxes until its kill time.

18 minutes ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

Ā 

I agree with this.Ā 
Ā 

first half was fine and we played well without creating much.Ā 

25 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

It's clearly tactical.Ā 

Ā 

Yesterday,Ā  in the 1st half we dominated play and moved the ball around fast, Motherwell well knackered at ht.

We ofc would like to score or test their gk more,Ā  but Naismith is 100% playing the 90 minute game.

Ā 

They " had a go" for about 5-10 mins in tbe 2nd half which resulted in an end to end game until we taken control again and dominated,Ā  this time as Motherwell tired and with the subs we created far more and won the game.

Ā 

Naismith is usingĀ  the squad wellĀ  and this 1st half/ 2nd half pattern is by design.

Ā 

Folk not recognising this probably still won't.Ā  Remarkable.

Good post.

Almost avoided having a go at fellow supporters.

šŸ˜†

16 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

Same here, I sit in ā€˜Dā€™ and I didnā€™t hear any. There were some moaning about Motherwell anti football tactics but that was all I heard.

I see the anti football as a compliment of sorts, frustrating to watch though.

Edited by WDJ87

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Ā 

Agree Naisy wont have loved the first 45 but at the same time, our team always looks in control imo.

Ā 

Ā 

It generally doesn't,Ā  and folk not recognising the pattern of the play are quite amazing.

Ā 

Ā 

HopeDiouf
5 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Ā 

Ā 

He said it in his interview.Ā  Somethig along the lines of 'that formation will work for us at times but players werent quite making enough runs with enough freedom'.

Ā 

For me first half we had full control, but no threat, due to not quite getting enough numbers into the box

Edited by HopeDiouf

ScottieMac17
56 minutes ago, Benny Klack said:

Ā 

1. We have a very good manager who can clearly see the tactical changes required to win gamesĀ 

Ā 

2. We have a strong squad that is big on quality and therefore a subs bench to enable us to easily completely change our set up to see us through games.Ā 

Also that we have a fit squad that can go for 90 minutes. Something I felt was lacking last season and the start of this season.Ā 

Oda be a JT

I said it HT yesterday, it as if that is how we play now. Ok itā€™s frustrating to watch and may seem slow and turgid and gets the fans heckles up but someone above mentioned itā€™s like Naismith uses that to his/our advantage and susses out what they are doing - come half time he addresses it and we come out a totally different team with different ideas.

Ā 

We are like night and day 1st/2nd half, I was one who moaned and whinged before but it seems to be our way of doing things and massive credit to the players, Naismith attitude of keep to the plan it will come to fruition is workingā€¦.

Ā 

How can we/anyone complain when we keep getting wins

FarmerTweedy
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

You only need to look at the first half yesterday where Motherwell were quite happy to allow us all the possession in the world while they sat with 10 behind the ball. Teams are happy to get a draw out of a Hearts game so the numbers make total sense.

I think there's also a tactical element from us of deliberately trying to play a bit more of a controlled passing game in the first half where we look to dominate possession, move the ball about a lot, switch it from side to side, etc, trying to make chances through a combination of more intricate passing moves and pulling opposition players out of position, but also at the same time working those opposition players really hard so we tire them out, then in the second half bringing on subs with real pace to run at, and often past, those tiring opposition players!Ā 

Ā 

Edited to add: one thing I'd say is an issue with how we tend to play in the first half is that with Mckay out injured, we don't really have anyone with the ability to regularly play the sort of precise, deft passes that are required to create really good scoring opportunities on a regular basis while we're playing that way.Ā  I don't know if Scott Fraser has that sort of pass in his locker, but I'm assuming it's one of the things we're going to be looking for from Dhanda next season, assuming the reports of him signing a pre-contract with us are actually true!Ā 

Edited by FarmerTweedy

Armageddon

13th clean sheet in the league this season? Ā Lovely.

Ā 

Clean sheets come in 90 minutes, wins come in 90 minutes.

Ā 

Some folk seem obsessed with this first and second half thing, the object is to win a game anyway you can. Ā Weā€™re winning and now thereā€™s calls for us to be winning first halfā€™s šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Ā 

Some folk shouldnā€™t have internet access.

3 minutes ago, WDJ87 said:

I see the anti football as a compliment of sorts, frustrating to watch though.

Definitely, it shows fear and respect from other teams. I had a visitor to the seat next to me yesterday ( picked up his ticket on exchange) and he was showing a wee bit of frustration, not in a negative way I may add, and I said to him, ā€œ they will sit in and try to hit on the break, we have to find a way of breaking them down, once we get the 1st goal, you will see a different game ā€œ.Ā 

Personally, I wasn't bothered yesterday when it got to half time and still 0-0, in fact i was pleased that we wouldn't have to come from behind to win the game in the second half.

Cruickie's Moustache

While the two cheeks seem to be able to get an early goal now and again I'm guessing a higher percentage of their goals come in the second half when the opposition is beginning to tire and don't have a strong bench to deal with the pressure being applied in the last 45 mins.

Ā 

As others have said it is now the way we play and while it still feels edgy for those first 45 mins, you have to admit it is working because we have a decent bench and cover over various positions.

FarmerTweedy
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

You can't have a gathering of around 18,000 people in the one place and not end up with at least a handful of idiots amongst them!

FarmerTweedy
52 minutes ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

Ā 

This was exactly what I watched yesterday at Tynecastle. Don't where else Diego accidentally turned up at!

tiger Rudi
1 hour ago, karipidis said:

There werenā€™t loads of boos at all tbf. Crowd definitely becoming more patient, and understanding of the tasks that face us when teams come to tynecastle and just sit in.Ā 

Apart from the guy sitting next to me in the Wheatfield screaming "move it quicker" every fekn 2 minutes!! Sometimes before the ball had even been brought under control, or when it's not even in play Ffs!! I need ear plugs at times. Clueless!!Ā 

I actually quite enjoyed the first half yesterday. Weren't getting the end result but moved the ball around confidently. Looked like every player knew what they were doing, no signs of desperation or panic. Players look comfortable on the ball and are enjoying it. We all should too šŸ‘ it's great being a Jambo!!Ā 

I thought our possession and control first half was really outstanding. Unfortunately Motherwell parked the bus meaning it was difficult to create an opportunity.Ā 

Ā 

Second half we opened up completely, allowed Motherwell a bit of possession knowing our superior abilities would outshine theirs when it's toe to toe.Ā 

Ā 

Fans have to be patient though. We need to have control and possession in Europe and v the OF. We will have to play a patient game sometimes.Ā 

38 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

This was exactly what I watched yesterday at Tynecastle. Don't where else Diego accidentally turned up at!

Probably the same game where Naismith realised we were very pedestrian in possession and made personnel and shape changes at half time because he wasn't happy we were too safe with the ball.

Ā 

The first half was not a particularly good performance.Ā  Well deserved win in the end but we can play better than that

I have started to pay more attention to games and watch what the other teams doing.Ā  Whilst we controlled the 1st half it was obvious motherwell were trying to frustrate us and they always had 10 behind the ball with the big lump up front on his own.Ā  We need to be patient and take the chances we get.Ā  Naisy also has great options on the bench and used them brilliantly yesterday with oda and vargasĀ 

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I commented at h/t yesterday that there was next to no booing for a change when we arenā€™t in front by the break. I think most fans have got used to us winning games in the later stages so arenā€™t being quite so impatient.Ā 

Can't remember the last Hearts manager that could positively affect the game so often by making changes. It's almost every game, he's won us a lot of points by doing so.Ā 

Oda be a JT
2 hours ago, Armageddon said:

13th clean sheet in the league this season? Ā Lovely.

Ā 

Clean sheets come in 90 minutes, wins come in 90 minutes.

Ā 

Some folk seem obsessed with this first and second half thing, the object is to win a game anyway you can. Ā Weā€™re winning and now thereā€™s calls for us to be winning first halfā€™s šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Ā 

Some folk shouldnā€™t have internet access.

I get what your saying and itā€™s a fair point too, but I donā€™t think that is what folk are getting (moaning shall we say) at - itā€™s how we are tactically and I for one will go along with it it.

Ā 

One thing I will say, if us mere mortal fans in the stands are beginning to see it, what will opposition managers start to do to try and counter act it?

Edited by Oda be a JT

Fort Vallance

I want 50% of my season ticket refunded. That way I can spend it the pub until half time. I'd also suggest that Naismith does his half time talk at 2.50. Seriously even the rockets are beginning to realise that the game lasts 90 minutes plus and there's no panic if we don't blow teams away in the first half hour. The injection of pace with Vargas and Oda against a team that had spent most of the game chasing was great management.

highlandjambo3
3 hours ago, Benny Klack said:

Ā 

Ā 

Nail and head šŸ‘

Chillidigits

Was glad Spittal wasn't playing. Might have been behind at halftime if he had been. Not that it would have bothered me in view of our ability to turn the screw second half