Restaurant Recommendations

Konrad von Carstein

Konrad von Carstein

We are heading over to Edinburgh in a few weeks for a milestone birthday, so could the JKB bon vivours provide some recommendations?

Decent budget and preferences would be:

Thai

Chinese

Middle East

Sushi/Japanese

Korean

il Duce McTarkin
9 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

We are heading over to Edinburgh in a few weeks for a milestone birthday, so could the JKB bon vivours provide some recommendations?

Thai

Chinese

Middle East

Sushi/Japanese

Korean

1218885481_orig.jpg

il Duce McTarkin
2 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

Dusit is lovely. 

I've always found it to be overly rich and overly sweetened Chinese food specifically tailored to the British palate which is masquerading as Thai.

8 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

I've always found it to be overly rich and overly sweetened Chinese food specifically tailored to the British palate which is masquerading as Thai.

I've never felt it tasted like Chinese good considering it's Thai.

il Duce McTarkin
2 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

I've never felt it tasted like Chinese good considering it's Thai.

I've always found it Thai in name only.

cosanostra

Baba and Jolly Pizzeria are my favourites in Edinburgh. Jolly is beside Vinyl Villains too if you like record shops. 👌

9 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

I've always found it Thai in name only.

I'll admit I've never been to Thailand or China for a comparison.

il Duce McTarkin
29 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

I'll admit I've never been to Thailand or China for a comparison.

If you like what you like then what's not to enjoy? Get battered in, I'm not one for being critical of others' tastes. There's a reason Dusit is so popular! 😊👍

manaliveits105

Not been yet but will be trying - Gratitude Thai Lounge Bar 

Morningside Road - Scottish husband - Thai wife and family - authentic Thai food looks nice and reviews good 

anyone been ? 

il Duce McTarkin
33 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Not been yet but will be trying - Gratitude Thai Lounge Bar 

Morningside Road - Scottish husband - Thai wife and family - authentic Thai food looks nice and reviews good 

anyone been ? 

That sounds encouraging. I'll be visiting at some point in the next month or so.

Edit, just checked the menu and photos, etc online. Looks like good, no nonsense stuff. Looking forward to it.

Edited by il Duce McTarkin

PaddysBar

Time 4 Thai on castle street was good. 

Rendezvous Chinese on queensferry street at the west end has been good every time I’ve been. owned by the same family since the 60s.

periodictabledancer

Thai Lemon Grass on Bruntsfield Pl (family run outfit, always decent and has free on street parking after 18.00).

The Thai on/near Castle St - can't remember  name of it.

For soemthing a bit different , I love Chaakoo on Lothian Rd , like Dishoom but was not as pricey or difficult to book. I love the food here. Iranian/Indian. 

Edited by periodictabledancer

9 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Thai

Chinese

Middle East

Sushi/Japanese

Korean

Depends if youre being fancy or wanting just good grub. Loads of good Asian food around southside and up south bridge area now.

Ichiban is good, Maki n Ramen used to be,but not been for a while.

If you wana be fancy you could go to Tattu, which is really nice space and experience. I liked the food when i went but it is pricey. My wife had been in a group and said it was better (we maybe scrimped a bit cos it was just a cheeky lunch). Their sake list is guid!

Baba in the Kimpton is really good

For Sushi, Umai on Queensferry St is decent, as is Kenji in Stockbridge. Maki and Ramen is still pretty good and locations are possibly more convenient. 

PortyJambo

Ka Pao in the St James Quarter is very good. It's more SE Asian food rather than a specific country, but I've not had a bad dish in there and have been back a few times.

The food critic, Jay Raynor, recommended it, so it must be doing something right.

PortyJambo
11 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Ka Pao in the St James Quarter is very good. It's more SE Asian food rather than a specific country, but I've not had a bad dish in there and have been back a few times.

The food critic, Jay Raynor, recommended it, so it must be doing something right.

Here's Jay Rayner's review, for an idea of what they serve.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/jun/12/jay-rayner-restaurant-review-bold-and-exciting-dishes-at-ka-pao-edinburgh

We love the corn ribs (£7), and one of the vegan dishes, hispi cabbage (£9), is also one of our favourites, even though I'm not vegan or vegetarian. 

Dante’s in Colington Village. Italian home cooked food and the Boys are dyed in the wool Jambo’s. 

il Duce McTarkin
58 minutes ago, Don Dan said:

Dante’s in Colington Village. Italian home cooked food and the Boys are dyed in the wool Jambo’s. 

Dante's is a wee neighbourhood gem.

Bonnie Prince Charlie

Scran & Scallie and Raeburn hotel across the road in Stockbridge, good Scottish food (not what you asked for but just saying).

awadooningorgie2

Wee Buddha is outstanding - tiny but the food is on another level..... you just can't imagine it can be any better in Thailand

22 hours ago, Bonnie Prince Charlie said:

Scran & Scallie and Raeburn hotel across the road in Stockbridge, good Scottish food (not what you asked for but just saying).

Both of these, I second.

The Raeburn Hotel also has a great bar and, weather permitting, is perfect for outdoor quaffing!

5 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Best sushi place is soul sushi which is on the way into town 

There are quite a few ways into town

muldoon74
On 17/02/2024 at 14:57, Don Dan said:

I deliver to Dante's.. 

Very clean kitchen (not like some I deliver to!) would eat there no worries. 👍

Americana
On 17/02/2024 at 18:01, Day@theraces said:

Out the way a bit in musselburgh, but Lanna Thai is outstanding.

Last time I was in that was on manky wee place, hairs in the prawn crackers and cutterly looked like it needed a second wash, seems to have an amazing rep for take away though.

On 17/02/2024 at 19:00, Konrad von Carstein said:

Thanks gents/ladies I am leaning towards Ka Pao...

I like Ka Pao but Lucky Yu in Broughton Street and Mirin in Leith Walk are both better.

Day@theraces
9 hours ago, Americana said:

Last time I was in that was on manky wee place, hairs in the prawn crackers and cutterly looked like it needed a second wash, seems to have an amazing rep for take away though.

Sorry to hear that. TBF I've only had takeaways from there. Celadon 2 U on Rodney street is another good Thai.

Jamboross

I generally feel quite disappointed by the Japanese places in Edinburgh (although they're getting better) but Hope Izakaya on Queensferry Street is a cracking place. 

Left field suggestion :  Pinciukas, a Lithuanian restaurant and bar on Morrison Street. A lot of meat and potatoes but really excellent quality. 

Rupert Pupkin

Sen Vietnamese on West  Nicolson Street is very good.. Tiny wee place though, so need to book.

CloustonHMFC

Chizuru Tei on Morrison St is amazing for some Sushi or Japanese food - one of the best there is in Edinburgh. Small family run restaurant, 100% need to reserve a table and it's BYOB.

Seymour M Hersh
On 18/02/2024 at 14:20, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Sushi samba bring your credit card👍

Is that the one in the W?

Seymour M Hersh

There is a new Japanese place on the corner of East Fountainbridge and Lothian Rd. No idea what it's like or called though.

Psychedelicropcircle
1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Is that the one in the W?

Aye.

Seymour M Hersh
15 hours ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Aye.

Wife and I went to the bar there just before Christmas (day we beat the tims 2-0 in fact). £36.00 for two drinks!!!

Jim_Duncan
On 17/02/2024 at 02:30, Konrad von Carstein said:

Thai

Chinese

Middle East

Sushi/Japanese

Korean

I know a couple of staff at Harajuku Kitchen, Tollcross. Good, dedicated chefs. 

Never been disappointed in the food there. 

The Japanese guy who signed on loan from Manchester City a few years ago used to go there a lot. 

Greenbank2
39 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

The Japanese guy who signed on loan from Manchester City a few years ago used to go there a lot. 

Award winning - Really, really good.

Jim_Duncan
1 hour ago, Greenbank2 said:

Award winning - Really, really good.

Yep. Thinking about this place has made me drool over good Japanese food. In Istanbul tomorrow - any recommendations for sushi joints there, anyone?! 

5 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Was there at the weekend. Very nice, even the little one enjoyed it and she's a fussy wee shite!