Who built the pyramids?

Greedy Jambo

il Duce McTarkin
2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Slaves are hard-working, but they're not skilled craftsmen.

Not all of them needed to be.

Of course it was slaves.

Slavery gets shit done.

Fact.

Dawnrazor
Just now, henrysmithsgloves said:

In a week too😀

Even back then they were known the word over for getting shit done, on time and on budget, just look at the job they did with them Hanging Gardens and Machu Picchu was actually a brickie from Gadansk called Mikołaj Polaco, not a lot of people know that.

henrysmithsgloves
1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

Even back then they were known the word over for getting shit done, on time and on budget, just look at the job they did with them Hanging Gardens and Machu Picchu was actually a brickie from Gadansk called Mikołaj Polaco, not a lot of people know that.

Was that the brickie that done yon wall in china ,took him three weeks?

Dawnrazor
Just now, henrysmithsgloves said:

Was that the brickie that done yon wall in china ,took him three weeks?

Nah, that was his cousin, Marcin.

henrysmithsgloves
1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

Nah, that was his cousin, Marcin.

They look all the same to me😳

periodictabledancer

Built by highly skilled masons who worked in gangs and had their own accommodation  close to the pyramids ( some have been excavated). 

henrysmithsgloves
1 hour ago, periodictabledancer said:

Built by highly skilled masons who worked in gangs and had their own accommodation  close to the pyramids ( some have been excavated). 

That's a secret 😳

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, periodictabledancer said:

Masons need labourers. Slaves = cheap labour.

Maple Leaf
4 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Which pyramids are you talking about?

Sudan has the most, Mexico has the biggest.

1 minute ago, Maple Leaf said:

Yeah, but Egypt has the mummiest. :mw_confused: :cheese:

periodictabledancer
4 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Whoa ! Egypt has the tallest , but "largest" isn't the same thing . 

Those things in Mexico /C America are good but Egypt is best.

Thank you, very much.

:lol:

Maple Leaf
3 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Yeah, but Egypt has the mummiest. :mw_confused: :cheese:

I'm told that mummies invented (w)rap music. :facepalm:

periodictabledancer
26 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

They were highly unionised.

No foreigners. No freedom of movement (actually, not much freedom at all). 

That thing you do
7 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Toblerone built the only pyramids that matter.

The biggest pyramid in the world isnt the great pyramid in Egypt. Its in Mexico. 

Jim_Duncan
3 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I'm told that mummies invented (w)rap music. :facepalm:

How do you use an Egyptian doorbell?

Spoiler

Toot and come in. 

8 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Go to any construction site where they're working on say a 50 storey building. What you're going to see there is labourers far outnumbering anyone else including architects. There is nothing odd about that. It's like saying who built the Suez canal or the Hoover dam, and the answer is mostly labourers.

Incidentally speaking of the Hoover dam there are some good documentaries on YouTube one of which I will post here. Growing up I had always wondered how a dam is actually built because as a kid me and a few others had tried to dam a burn one time, didn't work out well.

A Hoover dam documentary taught me how it's done, how do you stop the water washing over you while you're building your dam. And in relation to this thread it also mentions they had to construct a town out there in the desert, to house the army of labourers it took. They actually refer to it in the doc as the equivalent of an American pyramid.

Edited by JFK-1

il Duce McTarkin
5 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

These guys!

th.jpeg

These guys.

NVtur52HONaBVePGaPOxWBaWcbnU3k0roji5dyQb

Seymour M Hersh
16 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

These guys.

NVtur52HONaBVePGaPOxWBaWcbnU3k0roji5dyQb

Him and his baddies!

th-1.jpeg

Bindy Badgy
6 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Savery existed in Egypt at the time the pyramids were built (they probably still exist there now). However, the general consensus among historians appears to be that the pyramids were not built by slaves.

https://www.discovermagazine.com/planet-earth/who-built-the-egyptian-pyramids-not-slaves

But there is another misconception about pyramid construction that’s plagued Egyptian scholars for centuries: Slaves did not build the pyramids.

Together, these hieroglyphics give archaeologists hints about where the workers came from, what their lives were like, and who they worked for. Nowhere have archaeologists found signs of slavery or foreign workers. 

Edited by Bindy Badgy

RustyRightPeg

Pyramids are a black hole subject for me. Once I start, it takes me several hours to come back up for air.

And no I don't think it was slaves.

The workers on the pyramid of Senusret were housed in Kahun, a small town laid out on a pattern of blocks and streets, thought to be the first ever example of town planning - 5000yrs ago 

AlimOzturk

We are that ignorant and self absorbed today that feats of this magnitude created by less advanced civilisations can’t have happened by very smart humans. Must have been aliens. 😂

Dawnrazor
7 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Agree with that, the brains behind them were unlikely to be slaves, but the donkey work would've been done, partly possibly, by slave labour, imo.

jack D and coke

They’re tooprecise for it to have been slaves surely?
Fascinating stuff anyway.

Dawnrazor
6 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

They’re tooprecise for it to have been slaves surely?
Fascinating stuff anyway.

I'd disagree about the accuracy, but there's no way the Draughtsmen, Masons and Engineers were hauling great lumps of stone to the site and then getting them into place, no way, that's slave labour work.

Dawnrazor
11 minutes ago, OTT said:

Would say a combination of slaves and skilled craftsman. 

Absolutely, like today, the managers, designers, engineers, draughtsman ect aren't on site mixing concrete and laying out bricks.

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I'd disagree about the accuracy, but there's no way the Draughtsmen, Masons and Engineers were hauling great lumps of stone to the site and then getting them into place, no way, that's slave labour work.

Disagree about the accuracy? That’s not true? You only have to think about the 70 tonne stone beams too? They’re hundreds of feet up in some places. How did they get them up there? How many labourers? How long to do this? 
Its fascinating stuff. 

Dawnrazor
10 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Disagree about the accuracy? That’s not true? You only have to think about the 70 tonne stone beams too? They’re hundreds of feet up in some places. How did they get them up there? How many labourers? How long to do this? 
Its fascinating stuff. 

I disagree about the accuracy, you seemed to allude to slaves/labourers being unable to be so accurate, I think they could, they'd get better with experience, the good ones would get the difficult jobs, there was plenty of time for generations of people to become adept at certain tasks. 

Your point about the "70 tonne stone beams" being "hundreds of feet up in some places" makes the point for me, do you think the brains behind the operation were the one doing the heavy lifting? Or would that be labourers/slaves?

How it all came together and the mechanics of the work, I agree, it's a bit of a mystery, but, it must've been done because the Pyramids are there, and I think it's far more likely to have been with human labour rather than "Aliens"!

Edited by Dawnrazor

jack D and coke
21 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I disagree about the accuracy, you seemed to allude to slaves/labourers being unable to be so accurate, I think they could, they'd get better with experience, the good ones would get the difficult jobs, there was plenty of time for generations of people to become adept at certain tasks. 

Your point about the "70 tonne stone beams" being "hundreds of feet up in some places" makes the point for me, do you think the brains behind the operation were the one doing the heavy lifting? Or would that be labourers/slaves?

How it all came together and the mechanics of the work, I agree, it's a bit of a mystery, but, it must've been done because the Pyramids are there, and I think it's far more likely to have been with human labour rather than "Aliens"!

I didn’t suggest it was aliens man haha. 

It just seems unlikely to me labourers were this precise, I’ve worked with plenty 😂

28 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Your point about the "70 tonne stone beams" being "hundreds of feet up in some places"

You should check out Baalbek in Lebanon. The temple there has enormous pieces of stone that they don't have a clue how it was done beyond educated guesswork.

Spellczech
13 hours ago, Ulysses said:

7pofqp.jpg

:whistling: ;)

Funny - why does the British Museum get all the bad press? - I've seen extensive Egyptian collections in Turin, Paris, Munich and Berlin museums...

Spellczech
15 minutes ago, Tazio said:

You should check out Baalbek in Lebanon. The temple there has enormous pieces of stone that they don't have a clue how it was done beyond educated guesswork.

The Ancient egyptians used pulleys, even though Archimedes is accredited with their invention. Pretty sure if you can imagine pulleys then the idea of greased rope to reduce traction is not beyond your engineers either...

Australis

Sure I read an article saying they were no slaves at all and were very well treated fed and watered.

Would love to visit them and the river nile one day.