Edinburgh Castle Redcoat Restaurant & thick people

heartgarfunkel

Nucky Thompson
17 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

It's been called The Redcoat for years and absolutely nobody gave a toss until the Gaelic Gammonati, smarting from the woeful under-performance of their political independence vehicle, decided to - in classic wounded animal fashion - get all bent out of shape and make a song-and-dance about it.

It's only a loaded term if you're a petty, backward-looking, insular, wank. That's the long-and-short of it.

:biglaugh:

I see that your wit hasn't deserted you :thumb:

17 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

It's been called The Redcoat for years and absolutely nobody gave a toss until the Gaelic Gammonati, smarting from the woeful under-performance of their political independence vehicle, decided to - in classic wounded animal fashion - get all bent out of shape and make a song-and-dance about it.

It's only a loaded term if you're a petty, backward-looking, insular, wank. That's the long-and-short of it.

Needed telt .

Got telt.

Jamstomorrow

2nd Dragoons - Royal Scots Greys, wore red coats back in the day.  The Ensign Ewart could be on a shoogly peg too if the wearing of a redcoat causes those and such as those to hyperventilate! !

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Religion a huge problem.
The Brits being the biggest bigots in Scotland. 
Just look at all the insinuations about Indy supporters being bad kaffliks too. 

Mate I'd say that was true 20 years ago but it's much of muchness now.

The divvying up of voter by proddie/kaflik is gone.

The insinuations go both ways.

Most independence supporters and Fringe support want a m9vement that's inclusive but small c conservative.

Don't buy into all the shite mate.

It's not about tartan ,orange is green.

It's about the potential of the place.

Folk getting all wound up about the history of Edinburgh ffs .

Gundermann
22 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Last time any of us checked, Edinburgh Castle was not in KwaZulu-Natal, and there isn't a Holocaust Cafe in Tel Aviv, nor even a Waffen SS Bistro by your logical extension, so stop talking shite. Cheers.

That's his point FFS though I get that some won't agree about magnitude.

That said, the Redcoats, esp under Butcher Cumberland, were a murderous bunch of knuts. Am not overly bothered about the Jacobites or the Redcoats and their battles with each other but the Redcoats engaged in ethnic cleaning irrepective of whether the victims were Jacobite or not, Catholic or Presbyterian.

Gundermann
18 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Talking about yourself here? Who mentioned Gaelic btw? This isn't Ireland. It's a language with no party political or constitutional leanings. Tories support it FFS.

I don't care too much about the cafe but it's interesting that those who seeth at the protests about it resort to utter BS like your post here.

https://www.highlandconservatives.co.uk/news/donald-cameron-takes-historic-oath-gaelic-and-english-he-sworn-scottish-parliament

il Duce McTarkin
13 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

Talking about yourself here? Who mentioned Gaelic btw? This isn't Ireland. It's a language with no party political or constitutional leanings. Tories support it FFS.

I don't care too much about the cafe but it's interesting that those who seeth at the protests about it resort to utter BS like your post here.

https://www.highlandconservatives.co.uk/news/donald-cameron-takes-historic-oath-gaelic-and-english-he-sworn-scottish-parliament

dFt4Gv.gif

Pop yer knickers back on, princess, and away put the kettle on.

Gundermann
1 hour ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

dFt4Gv.gif

Pop yer knickers back on, princess, and away put the kettle on.

bit-weird-weird.gif

doctor jambo
9 hours ago, Tazio said:

The church you worshipped in.

Indeed - the red coats killed many a catholic.

Can’t be all bad , can you ?

14 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

:sweeet:

15 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Well, there weren't that many catholics in Scotland at the time. Most Jacobites were Episcopalian protestants. Sort of church of England types, watered down Catholicism.

Many high church types in England were the same, they were Tories. Dr Johnson for example.

Whigs were more the successors of the parliament side in the civil war a century before.

I'd argue that Culloden was essentially the curtain call of the civil war/war of the three kingdoms.

The hunting down and butchering of rebels wasn't a mass genocide of the Highlands, just those clans stupid enough to have been enchanted by the bonny polish Italian lad. 

Not condoning the brutality, but the clan chiefs are responsible for getting their people (serfs?) Involved so that they could potentially line their pockets.

As ever the common folk get the shitty end of the stick 

PaddysBar
3 hours ago, heartgarfunkel said:

Mary, Queen of Scots, born Linlithgow, entered England of her own free will seeking the assistance of her relative, Queen Elizabeth.  Poor women had her head hacked off 19 years later, but that had nothing do with any Scots.  Incidentally, her nephew Francis Stewart, fifth Earl of Bothwell, was so enraged he tried to rally a military expedition to punish England for the execution when it became known in 1587.  Mary's son, and the cousin of Francis, King James VI of Scotland, had him warded in Edinburgh castle to prevent such an enterprise. 

Francis was your late 16th century 'bammer's bammer'.  Phenomenally violent and culturally on the money.  When he wasn't personally killing rather a lot of his 'enemies' with gusto, he was building the superb Italianate facade on his palace at Crichton castle, championing himself as the main man for the reformed Kirk, being embroiled in North Berwick witch trials, becoming a champion of the catholic nobles, attacking the king, fleeing to England to seek support then dying in Naples as a 'notorious necromancer'. I bring him up as an example of how awful lazy, false 'history' is, even dangerous, when you look at Putin's narrative, and our bams here and now demonising a restaurant in 2024 that was perfectly fine in 1992.  To my knowledge there have been no British government soldiers committing atrocities, wearing the 'red coats' that came in with the republican Cromwellian New Model Army in the 17th century, over the last 32 years? There are ACTUAL MSPs annoyed at the 'Redcoat' restaurant!  History is nuanced and involves thinking and tolerance, as does the present. 

:olly:

You missed out the red hot pokers going where the sun don’t shine. FFS man😂

jimbojambo
20 hours ago, Australis said:

Bad English killed them, but Scots couldn't hand them over quick enough.

Depends on your point of view as to who decent and real Scots are.

Westminster and Holyrood now.

Looks like religion is a Scottish problem the same as today.

Hate and divide still rules the roost.

My hate is better than your hate.

Best wee country in the world, riddled with hate, envy and jealousy.

Well said. End segregation in schools and it will soon die out but no politician would ever be brave enough to vote for it

Jamstomorrow
22 hours ago, PaddysBar said:

You missed out the red hot pokers going where the sun don’t shine. FFS man😂

Oh no!   Not the red hot pokers!

Buy Red Hot Poker Uvaria - Kniphofia bare roots

PaddysBar
4 hours ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Oh no!   Not the red hot pokers!

Buy Red Hot Poker Uvaria - Kniphofia bare roots

As Heartgarfunkel so eloquently and knowledgeably described, the 5th earl of Bothwell was a bit of a bam, which possibly wasn’t ideal for his many and varied victims, but surely he can be viewed with a degree of mild admiration now that the mists of time have long ago descended. 

He’d have loved the Gorgie aggro. 

Edinburgh Castle has a bigger problem than the stupid name for a cafe.  

That flag it flies, lording it over all the good people of Edinburgh. 

Know your place. 

John Findlay
18 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Edinburgh Castle has a bigger problem than the stupid name for a cafe.  

That flag it flies, lording it over all the good people of Edinburgh. 

Know your place. 

I think you will find all working Army barracks fly that flag.

Pans Jambo

Edinburgh Castle is for dumb tourists. £19.50 to get in? Mental!

If they want to drink £6 coffee and £7.50 cake in a tourist trap cafe let them!

I agree with the point about the UJ flag though. Despite your allegiances, I don't think American and Japanese tourists come to Scotland and visit Edinburgh castle and expect to see that flag flying above the capital.

No doubt a bawbag will be along shortly to say "but Edinburgh is in the UK". Don't bother, I know.

John Findlay
35 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

I agree with the point about the UJ flag though. Despite your allegiances, I don't think American and Japanese tourists come to Scotland and visit Edinburgh castle and expect to see that flag flying above the capital.

No doubt a bawbag will be along shortly to say "but Edinburgh is in the UK". Don't bother, I know.

So what flag do you think a working barracks of the British Army should fly?

Pans Jambo
14 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

So what flag do you think a working barracks of the British Army should fly?

I don't care about that. They can fly the apron if they want. Just not front and centre overlooking the city.

Do they market/sell tickets to visit a working British army barracks now???

Nobody visits Edinburgh Castle from far flung countries because its in the 'UK'. Its because its in Scotland.

John Findlay
21 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

I don't care about that. They can fly the apron if they want. Just not front and centre overlooking the city.

Nobody visits Edinburgh Castle from far flung countries because its in the 'UK'. Its because its in Scotland.

What a load of bollocks.

Pans Jambo
40 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

What a load of bollocks.

No its no (see how opinons work?)

John Findlay
19 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

No its no (see how opinons work?)

Your opinion in my opinion is a load of bollocks.

See how opinions work?

Pans Jambo
6 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Your opinion in my opinion is a load of bollocks.

See how opinions work?

Aye.

2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

So by the same logic the Royal Navy should refrain from using the Union Jack when docked at Gibraltar cos folk going up the rock might see it? 

Tourists go to the castle to see the Castle, mons meg and get a picture of edinburgh from up high, what flag is flying off the front of it matters not a jot to anyone other than the SNP and it's supporters.

Pans Jambo
28 minutes ago, Ribble said:

So by the same logic the Royal Navy should refrain from using the Union Jack when docked at Gibraltar cos folk going up the rock might see it? 

Tourists go to the castle to see the Castle, mons meg and get a picture of edinburgh from up high, what flag is flying off the front of it matters not a jot to anyone other than the SNP and it's supporters.

Aye Gibraltar is a great comparison. Well done :rofl:

On 12/02/2024 at 21:20, il Duce McTarkin said:

They should rename it 'The  Chips on Shoulders', imo.

**** all wrong with The Redcoat. Zulu was a great movie.

Pish.  Never did like Michael Caine 😂

John Findlay
23 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Not a lot of people know that.

Nucky Thompson

I love seeing the Union flag flying high above Edinburgh Castle

What a glorious sight :sweeet:

Greeting about the name of a cafe and greeting about a flag :lol:

il Duce McTarkin
11 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

10 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

:sweeet:

Reading that seethe is like slipping into a warm bath on a cold day.

John Findlay
10 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Anyone in the East Lothian area hearing sirens?

They're always hearing sirens down in that neck of the woods.

23 hours ago, Marvin said:

Also donned the Tartan playing top Jockabite Alan Breck Stewart in Kidnapped.

His accent is a marvel of modern acting.

Actually, Kidnapped, and the sequel Catriona, is a good read and sets out post Culloden Scotland quite well and all the political hypocrisy therein.

41 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Anyone in the East Lothian area hearing sirens?

Battle of Prestonpans visitor centre??? 😋

John Findlay
5 minutes ago, Boris said:

Actually, Kidnapped, and the sequel Catriona, is a good read and sets out post Culloden Scotland quite well and all the political hypocrisy therein.

A good few traitors back then for a certain banned(again) poster to get up against the wall and pull the trigger😉

9 minutes ago, Boris said:

Used to stay on Alan Breck Gardens back when I stayed in Edinburgh. The whole area was named after characters from the novel. 

9 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Used to stay on Alan Breck Gardens back when I stayed in Edinburgh. The whole area was named after characters from the novel. 

Yeah, Hoseasons Gdns etc. Rest and be Thankful on Corrie Hill.

Love the statue at Western Corner.

16 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

A good few traitors back then for a certain banned(again) poster to get up against the wall and pull the trigger😉

Haha, one mans terrorist etc

The Campbells did no favours in terms of peace and reconciliation!

il Duce McTarkin
59 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Hopefully just a temporary ban. Ausseh is a slaver but one of the good guys.