Lockerbie. 5-part drama on Sky, starring Colin Firth as Dr. Jim Swire

Lone Striker

spirt of 98
5 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Coming out next year. Could be quite harrowing to watch, but a tribute to the determination of Jim Swire to uncover the facts which led to the disaster. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland 

Part of the show will be filmed in Peatvill Terrace in Kingsknowe. 

the posh bit

I went out with a lassie at the time who had a cousin who was a policeman from Irvine. He was at the scene, had some truly awful stories. The worst one was the fact that most of his coworkers were dealing with looters in cars who'd travelled from all over the west of Scotland. 

44 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

I went out with a lassie at the time who had a cousin who was a policeman from Irvine. He was at the scene, had some truly awful stories. The worst one was the fact that most of his coworkers were dealing with looters in cars who'd travelled from all over the west of Scotland. 

Looters?  How come I missed that in the news?

the posh bit
7 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Looters?  How come I missed that in the news?

It was reported and people were charged. You can sort of understand why it was kept quiet though. 

3 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

It was reported and people were charged. You can sort of understand why it was kept quiet though. 

Nah.  It'll be in the news.

1 hour ago, the posh bit said:

Lockerbie is a small village in the South of Scotland,fecking miles from the west of Scotland( Irvine 80 miles?)Edinburgh is probably closer,calling bullshit on that.

One council street in lockerbie,looting..???

Slavering  a wee bit ?

5 minutes ago, Tott said:

Lockerbie is a small village in the South of Scotland,fecking miles from the west of Scotland( Irvine 80 miles?)Edinburgh is probably closer,calling bullshit on that.

Slavering  a wee bit ?

It's one of the biggest news stories in the history of UK media.  If people had been charged with looting the tabloids would have absolutely destroyed them, and you'd still be able to look something up about it nowadays.

Also, in 35 years it's the first time I've ever seen looting mentioned, and in 23 years of various iterations of JKB I am as sure as I possibly can be that looting at Lockerbie has never been mentioned on the forum before.

14 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

It's one of the biggest news stories in the history of UK media.  If people had been charged with looting the tabloids would have absolutely destroyed them, and you'd still be able to look something up about it nowadays.

Also, in 35 years it's the first time I've ever seen looting mentioned, and in 23 years of various iterations of JKB I am as sure as I possibly can be that looting at Lockerbie has never been mentioned on the forum before.

Have friends in Lockerbie,lovely wee village.

Looting... never happened.

To suggest it even happened is just crass.

Edited by Tott

John Findlay

Missed it all was in the Persian Gulf at the time, doing other things that were deemed newsworthy at the time.

been here before
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Missed it all was in the Persian Gulf at the time, doing other things that were deemed newsworthy at the time.

Surely not :rofl:

Buster_Merryfield.png.4e6a2f5d7e2dffa7c85060bc547366b0.png

Briefly visited Lockerbie one time. Got nicked on the M74 while heading to visit somebody in Cheltenham and Lockerbie is where the cops took me. Said they wanted to breathalyse me because I told them I had drank 2 pints the night before which was true. Assholes.

John Findlay
20 minutes ago, been here before said:

Surely not :rofl:

Buster_Merryfield.png.4e6a2f5d7e2dffa7c85060bc547366b0.png

You will never know.

been here before
21 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

You will never know.

Or care Albert, or care.

Edited by been here before

John Findlay
6 minutes ago, been here before said:

Or care Albert, or care.

That's a relief 

Fitzroy Pointon
8 hours ago, Tott said:

Slavering  a wee bit ?

Don't know about the looting part but they definitely called in relief police and fire fighters from all over Strathclyde that night. 

4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Thanks for your service :rofl: 

the posh bit
9 hours ago, Tott said:

Slavering  a wee bit ?

They were there to loot the plane you moron. 

Edited by the posh bit

the posh bit
9 hours ago, Tott said:

Have friends in Lockerbie,lovely wee village.

Looting... never happened.

To suggest it even happened is just crass.

I'm not suggesting it happened, I'm saying that a policeman who was on duty that night said it was a huge problem on the night. I still believe the copper, despite two people on the Internet choosing not to. 

It happened and it was reported. 

highlandjambo3
9 hours ago, Tott said:

Slavering  a wee bit ?

I took part in the recovery of people and stayed there for 3 days (in a primary school)……never heard a peep about looters.

Jeffros Furios
1 minute ago, the posh bit said:

I'm not suggesting it happened, I'm saying that a policeman who was on duty that night said it was a huge problem on the night. I still believe the copper, despite two people on the Internet choosing not to. 

Slaver 

the posh bit
2 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Slaver 

You're one to talk you dribbling imbecile 😁

highlandjambo3
9 hours ago, Tott said:

Slavering  a wee bit ?

I took part in the recovery of people and stayed there for 3 days (in a primary school)……never heard a peep about looters.  The picture below was the bit I worked in, this must have been taken after we left as the press were not allowed that close, most of the wreckage has been cleared.  I won’t describe the 40-50 bodies (and parts) that were scattered about that area when we arrived.

IMG_6017.jpeg

highlandjambo3
29 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

Looters would not have had access to any of the main parts of the wreckage.

Jeffros Furios
Just now, the posh bit said:

You're one to talk you dribbling imbecile 😁

Your whole existence is a lie Vincent .. a middle aged creep :D

the posh bit
Just now, highlandjambo3 said:

Looters would not have had access to any of the main parts of the wreckage.

You don't need to tell me this. 

highlandjambo3

You don't need to tell me this. 

You said looters were there to loot the plane 🤷‍♂️

highlandjambo3
34 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

🤷‍♂️

John Findlay
1 hour ago, the posh bit said:

You any evidence to back this up?

the posh bit
1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

You said looters were there to loot the plane 🤷‍♂️

I know. What you have to remember is the initial newsflash at the time reported that an aircraft had crashed /exploded around the area. The reports of the the carnage in the town followed. The looters weren't there for the houses. 

You do realise that a Google search will confirm reports of looters. There was a BBC documentary years afterwards that mentioned reports of looters. 

highlandjambo3
6 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

I know. What you have to remember is the initial newsflash at the time reported that an aircraft had crashed /exploded around the area. The reports of the the carnage in the town followed. The looters weren't there for the houses. 

You do realise that a Google search will confirm reports of looters. There was a BBC documentary years afterwards that mentioned reports of looters. 

Aye…….must be true then 😂😂😂😂😂

the posh bit
3 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Aye…….must be true then 😂😂😂😂😂

Now that's just you being silly 😊

highlandjambo3

Now that's just you being silly 😊

No…..I’m just casting my mind back to the 3 days that I spent there with about 500 other soldiers from my unit who spent time combing vast areas (miles) along the aircraft line of decent…….including all the other emergency responders on site at the time, I don’t recall looting or the mention of looting happening but google does ……. silly, yes.

the posh bit
6 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

No…..I’m just casting my mind back to the 3 days that I spent there with about 500 other soldiers from my unit who spent time combing vast areas (miles) along the aircraft line of decent…….including all the other emergency responders on site at the time, I don’t recall looting or the mention of looting happening but google does ……. silly, yes.

I may probably choose to believe the policeman and the reports of looting both at the time and 'recalled' by Google before some Internet sodjur, no offence. 😉

highlandjambo3
7 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

I may probably choose to believe the policeman and the reports of looting both at the time and 'recalled' by Google before some Internet sodjur, no offence. 😉

So no actual facts then 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, the posh bit said:

Anyone charged with looting from Lockerbie would be notorious. The tabloids alone would have seen to that.

You may well believe it happened, but you have no evidence it did. 

Fitzroy Pointon

For anyone interested, the below is raw footage from ABC news cameras of the night and the days following the crash. At one point, a pretty stern copper tells the journalists that they'll be arrested for even climbing a fence to get close to the wreckage. Point being, I think they'd be on top of any looters. 

highlandjambo3
2 hours ago, the posh bit said:

I’m not suggesting it happened, I'm saying that a policeman who was on duty that night said it was a huge problem on the night. I still *believe the copper, despite two people on the Internet choosing not to. 

It happened and it was reported. 

Can you make your mind up please 🤷‍♂️ and, can you point me in the direction of facts that this looting happened, a report that you ‘CHOSE’ to believe is not fact.

There are a lot of people who chose to believe the earth is flat but not one of them can back this up with facts.

*For clarification, I do believe you heard what the police man said on the night about looting but, there is no evidence that this happened.  

Opinion:  we like to gawk at stuff that’s unusual to see, like passing a traffic accident that’s being dealt with, it’s extremely likely that many people were scouring the area after the incident with the best intentions or just curiosity.  The police would have been extreme concerned about evidence contamination.

I was a bit disappointed in your comment about me being an “internet sodjur” completely missing the point that I was actually there picking up dead people…….disrespectful tbh.

been here before
6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Still never caught the people responsible. 

Sounds like you might have a link up your sleeve that you're keen to use...

6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Still never caught the people responsible. 

Let’s just say it’s no coincidence that Lockerbie was less than 6 months after an Iranian passenger jet was shot down “accidentally” by the US navy in the gulf. 

William H. Bonney
4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Let’s just say it’s no coincidence that Lockerbie was less than 6 months after an Iranian passenger jet was shot down “accidentally” by the US navy in the gulf. 

I think whatever angle you look at it you'll find coincidences. 

The timer used to detonate the bomb was made by a company whose office was across the corridor from al megrahi.

That's pretty conclusive yet there are still so many doubts over his guilt. 

52 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

I think whatever angle you look at it you'll find coincidences. 

The timer used to detonate the bomb was made by a company whose office was across the corridor from al megrahi.

That's pretty conclusive yet there are still so many doubts over his guilt. 

The timer was made by MEBO, who's owner rented office space to Megrahi and who was allegedly offered $4million to testify and was described as an "untruthful and unreliable" witness.

The evidence that convicted Megrahi came from Tony Gauci - someone also allegedly paid $2million to testify.

the posh bit
1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

https://www.newspapers.com/article/the-guardian-first-bodies-leave-lockerbi/45264522/

'Four men to face charges but Police say no looting'. 

'There was a rumour that looters were already in the area...' 

BBC News - Lockerbie - BBC News
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/Lockerbie_Scotland_Pan_Am_flight_103

Thanks Chief, for a moment there I was worried Ulysses was suggesting I'd made it up just because I knew something he didn't. 😊👍