Next week

jamborich

John Findlay

I think, the club maybe thinking.

Scottish Cup Craig Gordon.

League Zander Clark.

If we get 3rd sewn up before the split, then I think they may alternate the two until the season's end.

That way both keep their eye in for the Euros.

AlimOzturk
Just now, Chimp said:

Nah there isn't a massive difference here and I know it. I stick by my point. 

This wasn't about Tagawa, I could have named another striker, it was just an example but you've taken it the wrong way. I never said came on leaps and bounds either, I said did ok, just like Clark has been in goals this season. And sorry but no, Naismith wouldn't just change the whole formation and setup to shoehorn Tagawa in to play alongside Shankland because he'd done ok.

What's long term got to do with anything? We're talking about the here and now and we also have Gordon for another year anyway. Once again, you play your best players and Gordon is still the best we have.

Long term has everything to do with it. Have you seen the state of the goal keepers we have had the nightmare witnessing in the recent past? Joel pereira to be precise? 

If we drop Clark then I can’t see him sticking around for next season. Plenty teams would love a goalkeeper in his prime of his quality in it and there is no guarantee long term we get someone better than him. 

I say it again..the goalkeeping situation is a unique one and long term planning has to take precedence over short term. If Clark’s form changes then that’s different. 

1 hour ago, Chimp said:

Right so say Shankland gets injured, Tagawa for example comes in and does ok, few goals here and there and hasn't really done anything to deserve being dropped. Shankland then returns from injury do you really think he's not going to come back into the side? You'd explain it by saying look we've got one of the best forwards in the country back fit and he needs to play. Same reasoning should apply with Clark/Gordon.

I don't understand this logic of not being able to drop a keeper because he hasn't made made enough errors to deserve it. Why is this same logic not applied to outfielders too? Clark has had a few howlers this season let's not forget that. His positioning and handling is a lot to be desired and Gordon is far superior goalkeeper. It shouldn't matter if Clark personally feels a bit aggrieved, our best keeper should be playing every week, end of. 

Because its a totally different position. I've already said I believe Gordon is a better keeper. But I don't believe at this moment in time SN will drop him unless through errors or injury.

Goalkeepers are in a unique position train together but only one can play. Clarks crime is he isn't craig Gordon who's arguably our best ever keeper. In terms of managing the squad and such like SN isn't dropping him.

If we get to the start of next season there's a decision to make and I'd be surprised if its not craig.

Chill out a bit. People will differ on opinions 

1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

This is sensible. We all love Craig Gordon but we first need to see a dip in Clark's form before we swap keepers. Its just the way it is in the real world. Unless CG is absolutely smashing it in training versus Zander then the gloves are Clark's for the time being and that's that.

Think it's maybe start of next season there's a big decision to make

13 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Long term has everything to do with it. Have you seen the state of the goal keepers we have had the nightmare witnessing in the recent past? Joel pereira to be precise? 

If we drop Clark then I can’t see him sticking around for next season. Plenty teams would love a goalkeeper in his prime of his quality in it and there is no guarantee long term we get someone better than him. 

I say it again..the goalkeeping situation is a unique one and long term planning has to take precedence over short term. If Clark’s form changes then that’s different. 

How is Pereira being mentioned here 😂 

Clark wouldn't leave because he was dropped for a keeper of Gordon's calibre. He signed for the club knowing he was a backup keeper. He'll never play for a bigger club than Hearts and I'm pretty confident he'll still be here next season if that were the case.

We shouldn't just play someone because we're worried that we won't have as good a back up for the following season. Makes no sense. 

Clark has made some howlers this season and even in the games he hasn't he's never fully convincing. His handling, positioning and attempts at coming for cross balls has been poor. As much as he's been good at times. that shouldn't be ignored. He shouldn't have to make major **** ups for the better keeper to play.  Gordon makes saves that Clark can't, and can be the difference. He's a genuine match winner.

39 minutes ago, mscjambo said:

Because its a totally different position. I've already said I believe Gordon is a better keeper. But I don't believe at this moment in time SN will drop him unless through errors or injury.

Goalkeepers are in a unique position train together but only one can play. Clarks crime is he isn't craig Gordon who's arguably our best ever keeper. In terms of managing the squad and such like SN isn't dropping him.

If we get to the start of next season there's a decision to make and I'd be surprised if its not craig.

Chill out a bit. People will differ on opinions 

In other positions, players still get dropped and will be unhappy about it. Not just goalies whether it's a unique position or not.  It happens all the time in football when teams have players that fill in for a superior player if they're out for a while. The better one returns and the guy who's filled in usually drops back to the bench. You play the best you have available to you. Clark gives me the fear at times and should do better for quite a few goals IMO. Feel far more confident and comfortable with Gordon, and makes world class saves to go with it. 

I'm completely chilled. I'm not angry or upset I'm giving my thoughts on this keeper situation. Of course people differ on opinions, just like you are with me 😂 That's what this forum is for...

Edited by Chimp

16 minutes ago, Chimp said:

In other positions, players still get dropped and will be unhappy about it. Not just goalies whether it's a unique position or not.  It happens all the time in football when teams have players that fill in for a superior player if they're out for a while. The better one returns and the guy who's filled in usually drops back to the bench. You play the best you have available to you. Clark gives me the fear at times and should do better for quite a few goals IMO. Feel far more confident and comfortable with Gordon, and makes world class saves to go with it. 

I'm completely chilled. I'm not angry or upset I'm giving my thoughts on this keeper situation. Of course people differ on opinions, just like you are with me 😂 That's what this forum is for...

You’re ignoring the basic fundamentals of professional football and dismissing the length of time Gordon has been out as a factor. Clark hasn’t come in to deputise for a couple of games while Gordon was injured. He has been in goals for over a year, has kept a lot of clean sheets, got into the Scotland team. You don’t drop players in that scenario when the other guy comes back or you lose the respect of the squad. 

18 minutes ago, Dazo said:

You’re ignoring the basic fundamentals of professional football and dismissing the length of time Gordon has been out as a factor. Clark hasn’t come in to deputise for a couple of games while Gordon was injured. He has been in goals for over a year, has kept a lot of clean sheets, got into the Scotland team. You don’t drop players in that scenario when the other guy comes back or you lose the respect of the squad. 

This 100%. If Gordon was out a month and Clark played 3 games and did ok then you would expect Gordon to be eased back in and take over the number 1 spot again relatively quick. The length of the injury makes the comparison from Chimp like comparing Apples and Oranges unless of course in his comparison Shankland was out for a similar time. As things stand, if Shankland were to be injured and out for over a year, theres no way he’s returning the same player and I doubt would replace an average striker scoring 10-15 a season who had stepped in for him.

5 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I'm not dismissing anything. Yes got into the Scotland team and wasn't convincing. Pretty sure the squad wouldn't lose respect if the club captain and best ever keeper takes his place back. He's shown in the cup games he's still capable and can perform to a high standard. The way folk are going on you'd think Clark has been outstanding and in the form of his life. He's still prone to errors and can't perform to the same level.

I'm gona bow out here anyway, Gordon is world class and our best keeper, I prefer it if we play our best players, even if that means Clark might feel a bit miffed. That's the way it goes sometimes. Just because he hasn't cost us games recently doesn't mean he deserves to keep his place IMO. You talk about clean sheets a marker, we've conceded in 21 our of 31 games this season, and in 4 of our last 6..

He just hasn't been that good for me to think I'd rather see him between the sticks than big Craig.

2 minutes ago, Fejka said:

This 100%. If Gordon was out a month and Clark played 3 games and did ok then you would expect Gordon to be eased back in and take over the number 1 spot again relatively quick. The length of the injury makes the comparison from Chimp like comparing Apples and Oranges unless of course in his comparison Shankland was out for a similar time. As things stand, if Shankland were to be injured and out for over a year, theres no way he’s returning the same player and I doubt would replace an average striker scoring 10-15 a season who had stepped in for him.

But then again, it's a unique position as has been pointed out. Goalkeepers don't take the same amount of time to get back up to speed. Or does that not fit here? 

12 hours ago, Benny Klack said:

Gordon will continue with all remaining cup games.

Clark will play all remaining league games.

This unless Clark has a sudden form loss.

AlimOzturk
1 hour ago, Chimp said:

Mate we are all entitled to our opinion and yours I can understand. We all love Gordon and want him around forever. 

I just think finding another Goalie like Clark would difficult and long term he’s our man. Gordon will forever be a club legend however. 

Bull's-eye

With CG signing an extension I'm well at ease with the situation.

That was the key for me. He's happy biding his time and waiting for an opportunity, just as he should do.

Great position to be in when you see some of the other number 1 choices in the league.

We've got 2 cracking keepers 😃

The form Clark was in just prior to CG returning was pretty abysmal. Dundee, St Mirren, Rangers x 2, Aberdeen off the top of my head all involved poor goalkeeping errors that lead to us losing games. I bet at that point Naisy was counting down the days until Gordon was back and felt it wouldn’t be an easy decision to make. Clark certainly couldn’t have had any arguments if it happened. 

I still think Naisy is just waiting on that one **** up that will justify the change. Fair play to Zander who has probably surprised everyone by how good he has been the past couple of months but I think Gordon will be our number 1 again before the split.

Thunder and Lightning

Our coaches while having to have it in mind should not be concerned with who wants to go the the Euros.  Their job is to manage the squad to domestic victories.  Should someone play well enough to be picked for the national team, fantastic.  

There should be no agreements about who plays when, simply the best player for the job on any given day.  If one or other miss out on the Euros then that is sad for them, but I want Hearts to be winning, not mucking about changing keepers if there is no need.  Pick one, and he plays until such time as the other is outperforming him in training.

JamboM003

No disrespect to Clark who has been good for us, the best goalkeeper at the club is still Craig Gordon.  It is a tough one for Naismith to manage but that's what being the manager involves.  I don't think he will make a change this side of the split unless it's an enforced one.  But one thing I know is that if it was between Clark and Gordon for who plays in Germany, I would be more assured if it was Gordon.  Some of that is about ability but mostly it is about experience of handling high pressure / higher level games.

Edited by JamboM003

2 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Might be wrong here, but don't Morton have a really good playing surface? Pretty sure their groundsman is highly rated and Celtic used to play reserve games at Cappielow because of the surface.

Unless it’s changed over the last few years it’s an absolute quagmire. As narrow as Tynie, bobbly and uneven. Bit of a slope too. 

19 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Mate we are all entitled to our opinion and yours I can understand. We all love Gordon and want him around forever. 

I just think finding another Goalie like Clark would difficult and long term he’s our man. Gordon will forever be a club legend however. 

👍

Maybe that's where the difference is, I wouldn't like to see Clark as our long term no1 because I don't rate him that highly. A good back up no doubt but when Gordon sadly retires I'd like to see us get an upgrade. Either way it's great that we have 2 options and not having to rely on someone hopeless if something were to happen to either. Be interesting to see how Harry Stone develops too.

I

3 hours ago, Chimp said:

I'm not dismissing anything. Yes got into the Scotland team and wasn't convincing. Pretty sure the squad wouldn't lose respect if the club captain and best ever keeper takes his place back. He's shown in the cup games he's still capable and can perform to a high standard. The way folk are going on you'd think Clark has been outstanding and in the form of his life. He's still prone to errors and can't perform to the same level.

I'm gona bow out here anyway, Gordon is world class and our best keeper, I prefer it if we play our best players, even if that means Clark might feel a bit miffed. That's the way it goes sometimes. Just because he hasn't cost us games recently doesn't mean he deserves to keep his place IMO. You talk about clean sheets a marker, we've conceded in 21 our of 31 games this season, and in 4 of our last 6..

He just hasn't been that good for me to think I'd rather see him between the sticks than big Craig.

If I was pissing in the wind I’d probably bow out too. I think it’s clear the issue is Clark, you just don’t rate him. That’s fine but it’s certainly flawed your logic. 

colinmaroon
6 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Might be wrong here, but don't Morton have a really good playing surface? Pretty sure their groundsman is highly rated and Celtic used to play reserve games at Cappielow because of the surface.

I hope so.  Certainly wasn't in recent past.

The Treasurer

The biggest winner in this is the club. 

We have two top class keepers battling it out for not only the first choice spot for Hearts but also a place in the euro squad. 

Both know they need to be consistently at their best

Said it before but the issue Zander has is he’s going to be unfairly judged as every single game he plays ahead of Gordon, he will be compared to Gordon. I’m guilty of it too but it’s unavoidable. The Jordan McGee goal at Tynie and the Miovski offside goal are two examples of shots Zander couldn’t get near but imo Gordon saves every day of the week. It’s maybe unfair on Zander but anyone directly taking over from CG would get the same scrutiny.

Everyone knew this would happen after Gordon (arguably the best ‘keeper the countries ever seen and we were lucky to have) hung up his gloves. The mad thing is though he’s still at the club!

buzzbomb1958
17 hours ago, jamborich said:

Do you think that’s fair on Clark not getting a chance to play in the final

If we get to the final I’m not wanting the flying flapper in goals , When Craig’s in goal the defence even looks more confident 

ducatiboy

Anyone think Beni was the same player when he came back? No he wasn’t, only now is he getting close to his former self. First it would be unfair on Clark given his form, and secondly is it worth the risk at this stage of the season? A very difficult decision…

3 hours ago, Dazo said:

I

If I was pissing in the wind I’d probably bow out too. I think it’s clear the issue is Clark, you just don’t rate him. That’s fine but it’s certainly flawed your logic. 

Pissing in the wind for having an opinion on our keeper situation and think that we should be playing the best one available, good one mate. There’s not a right answer in this situation even though you clearly think your opinion is some sort of fact🥴 Nothing flawed about my logic at all and i’m sorry you think so. 

I think realistically Clark is our keeper for the next 4 years or so, I would expect a contract extension will be offered and accepted this summer. I am comfortable with that, he is a decent SPL level keeper.

Clearly the cup/league agreement has been brokered at the club and I am happy with that. It may not be a popular opinion but I thought Gordon's form last season was a slight drop off from his Scottish POTY season and he can't go on for ever. Let that arrangement play out till the end of the season and make it a genuine competition for no. 1 next season in preseason.

I honestly couldn't give a toss about Scotland, Clarke will choose Gunn and it's very unlikely either would play. I would rather they had a rest and were both back for our European campaign.

WorldChampions1902
4 hours ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

If we get to the final I’m not wanting the flying flapper in goals , When Craig’s in goal the defence even looks more confident 

Imagine we reach the SC Final and get to penalties again against Celtic. Who would we want between the sticks for the penalty shootout? For me, it’s Craig Gordon.

But I would echo the sentiment on here that we are blessed with two outstanding keepers. I don’t envy Naismith.

Fozzyonthefence
13 hours ago, Chimp said:

Right so say Shankland gets injured, Tagawa for example comes in and does ok, few goals here and there and hasn't really done anything to deserve being dropped. Shankland then returns from injury do you really think he's not going to come back into the side? You'd explain it by saying look we've got one of the best forwards in the country back fit and he needs to play. Same reasoning should apply with Clark/Gordon.

I don't understand this logic of not being able to drop a keeper because he hasn't made made enough errors to deserve it. Why is this same logic not applied to outfielders too? Clark has had a few howlers this season let's not forget that. His positioning and handling is a lot to be desired and Gordon is far superior goalkeeper. It shouldn't matter if Clark personally feels a bit aggrieved, our best keeper should be playing every week, end of. 

Absolutely 100%.  Don’t get me wrong, Zander’s form has improved since Gordon was back fit and he has had a lot of clean sheets.  But I never watch him and think wow he’s pulled off a worldy of a save there.  He makes good saves, Gordon makes world class saves regularly.   Zander is a decent SPFL keeper (who nobody else wanted to sign), CG is a £9m keeper in the SFA Hall of Fame.  

Come to think of it I could say the same about Angus Gunn - genuinely no idea if he is any good, been solid, no mistakes and no doubt Clarke will go with him as first choice because we know how loyal he is to players.  So Gordon has been incredibly unlucky with both Hearts and Scotland (going to miss out on playing in two Euros finals).   Doesn’t Gordon deserve some loyalty from both Naismith and Clarke given how good a servant he has been to club and country, not to mention our best keeper?

Fozzyonthefence
3 hours ago, Jodami said:

I think realistically Clark is our keeper for the next 4 years or so, I would expect a contract extension will be offered and accepted this summer. I am comfortable with that, he is a decent SPL level keeper.

Clearly the cup/league agreement has been brokered at the club and I am happy with that. It may not be a popular opinion but I thought Gordon's form last season was a slight drop off from his Scottish POTY season and he can't go on for ever. Let that arrangement play out till the end of the season and make it a genuine competition for no. 1 next season in preseason.

I honestly couldn't give a toss about Scotland, Clarke will choose Gunn and it's very unlikely either would play. I would rather they had a rest and were both back for our European campaign.

They’ll likely get a rest on the bench anyway and no idea if you’re Scottish or not but if you are why on earth would you not want a Hearts player doing well for Scotland at the Euros in what would be the pinnacle of their career?

5 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

They’ll likely get a rest on the bench anyway and no idea if you’re Scottish or not but if you are why on earth would you not want a Hearts player doing well for Scotland at the Euros in what would be the pinnacle of their career?

Yes I am Scottish and I hope we do well in Germany. The whole Gordon/Clark thing becomes a live issue if one of them is going to start but it's clear they're not, Clarke had to do a lot of persuading to get Gunn to play for Scotland and it's clear he is the number one and Scotland's first choice for the foreseeable. Back up keepers are the least likely to be involved so I am not bothered if they go or not. I doubt the pinnacle of a career is going to a tournament as a reserve.

gnasher75
14 hours ago, Chimp said:

12 hours ago, Chimp said:

Clark has made some howlers this season and even in the games he hasn't he's never fully convincing. His handling, positioning and attempts at coming for cross balls has been poor. As much as he's been good at times. that shouldn't be ignored. He shouldn't have to make major **** ups for the better keeper to play.  Gordon makes saves that Clark can't, and can be the difference. He's a genuine match winner.

I agree 100%.

Craig Gordon is a better keeper than Zander Clark.  It doesn't make sense not to play our best keeper.

Clark has had a huge bonus getting to play for a whole year when he expected to on the bench.

Gordon should play for the rest of this season and be our no.1 next season, until he retires.

Clark can play League Cup games and maybe occasional league games after a European trip.

And then, unless he chooses to move to another club, he will be in pole position to take over from Gordon and be our keeper for several more years.

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Jodami said:

Yes I am Scottish and I hope we do well in Germany. The whole Gordon/Clark thing becomes a live issue if one of them is going to start but it's clear they're not, Clarke had to do a lot of persuading to get Gunn to play for Scotland and it's clear he is the number one and Scotland's first choice for the foreseeable. Back up keepers are the least likely to be involved so I am not bothered if they go or not. I doubt the pinnacle of a career is going to a tournament as a reserve.

Probably true but Gunn could get injured or lose form or get red carded at the Euros.  You never know. 

Clark shouldn't be dropped. Having g a fit Gordon breathing down his neck is good for him he's been excellent as he knows one bad game and he could lose the Jersey. Great position for us to be in. 

Libertarian
On 11/02/2024 at 22:40, JJ93 said:

Has Clark done anything to be dropped? 

No he hasn't and he won't be dropped either. It's clear that with Hearts having two international class goalkeepers that Naismith has elected to try and involve both by retaining Zander Clark for league games while Craig Gordon is first choice for the Scottish Cup 

Robbo-Jambo
22 hours ago, Chimp said:

Absolutely this.

You play your best players and Gordon is a far superior goalkeeper.

Clark has done well in recent weeks but earlier in the season he dropped a few clangers.

Personally think the defence would even more solid with CG behind them.

It's a tough one though and it's all about opinions.

JimmyCant
On 11/02/2024 at 22:33, jamborich said:

Gordon or Clark there’s something in me thinks Naismith wants Gordon but should he change

Naismith doesn’t strike me as the kind of guy who if he ‘wanted’ Gordon’ he wouldn’t just play him

Personally I think it should be left as it is with Clark for league games until 3rd is done, and Gordon for cup games, including the final. Once 3rd is done we can rotate to give both a fair chance of Germany

13 hours ago, Chimp said:

Pissing in the wind for having an opinion on our keeper situation and think that we should be playing the best one available, good one mate. There’s not a right answer in this situation even though you clearly think your opinion is some sort of fact🥴 Nothing flawed about my logic at all and i’m sorry you think so. 

You’re pissing in the wind because you refuse to acknowledge any mitigating circumstances. You’re basing your whole opinion that Gordon is better than Clark, it’s as black and white as that. There are so many variables to your black and white view, the main one being after a year out and a year older we are actually not sure what level CG is at. No one can argue against Gordon was a better Keeper than Clark. After a year out though you simply don’t drop someone who doesn’t deserve to be dropped. You think that isn’t an issue, you’d be wrong. The players including Gordon know this and so does the manager. 

Edited by Dazo

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

You’re pissing in the wind because you refuse to acknowledge any mitigating circumstances. You’re basing your whole opinion that Gordon is better than Clark, it’s as black and white as that. There are so many variables to your black and white view, the main one being after a year out and a year older we are actually not sure what level CG is at. No one can argue against Gordon was a better Keeper than Clark. After a year out though you simply don’t drop someone who doesn’t deserve to be dropped. You think that isn’t an issue, you’d be wrong. The players including Gordon know this and so does the manager. 

Listen mate, I'm not refusing to acknowledge anything, you've just decided that in your own head. You don't agree with me and I don't agree with you, accept it and move on 🙂

9 hours ago, gnasher75 said:

I agree 100%.

Craig Gordon is a better keeper than Zander Clark.  It doesn't make sense not to play our best keeper.

Clark has had a huge bonus getting to play for a whole year when he expected to on the bench.

Gordon should play for the rest of this season and be our no.1 next season, until he retires.

Clark can play League Cup games and maybe occasional league games after a European trip.

And then, unless he chooses to move to another club, he will be in pole position to take over from Gordon and be our keeper for several more years.

👍

1 hour ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Absolutely this.

You play your best players and Gordon is a far superior goalkeeper.

Clark has done well in recent weeks but earlier in the season he dropped a few clangers.

Personally think the defence would even more solid with CG behind them.

It's a tough one though and it's all about opinions.

Yep. And you're right it is all about opinions.

Zander is not irreplaceable. He’s a steady pair of hands who will make saves you’d expect him to make. He doesn’t have the ‘wow’ saves in his locker. See McLaughlin, Alexander, Kello etc. 

Craig Gordon is irreplaceable. We won’t see another like him play for us. He will be the last genuine world class player to play for Hearts. Imo we’ve got another 18 months max of him left so use him whilst he’s here because we’ll 100% miss him when he’s gone. 

Pistol1874

I find it hard to believe any successful club, or any club with the ambition to be successful, would have their best goalkeeper sat watching their games whilst his understudy plays. 

That is tough on Clark who hasn’t let us down of late (the Dhanda goal at Tynie perhaps), but that’s football at this level - play your best players as often as you can.

Craig Gordon is not just our best goalkeeper, he is probably the best in the league. 
Not too much to complain about just now, but not playing him doesn’t make much sense.

To me at least.