Next week

jamborich

William H. Bonney

Gordon will play against morton, then hopefully in the semi and final. 

I can't see him playing in the league, until after the split when 3rd place is secured. 

indianajones
15 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

Has Clark done anything to be dropped? 

He's not Craig Gordon. 

Thems the breaks. 

jamborich
6 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

I can't see him playing in the league, until after the split when 3rd place is secured. 

Do you think that’s fair on Clark not getting a chance to play in the final

jamborich
Just now, jamborich said:

Do you think that’s fair on Clark not getting a chance to play in the final

Can I just say it’s a bit premature to talk about the final but think Clark if we get there deserves it for his performances this season 

the posh bit
16 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

Seems to be what's happening. Bit of a shanner for Zander when we win the cup though. 

I think we will (continue to) go

Clark for league matches until split 

Gordon cup matches 

and a game each post split.

Also might depend on what Steve Clark thinks. It wouldn't surprise me if he has already guaranteed one of our keepers a slot barring a disaster from them. I'm sure each keeper, the club and SC all know the situation and have agreed to it.

Benny Klack

Gordon will continue with all remaining cup games.

Clark will play all remaining league games.

4 minutes ago, Homme said:

Gordon cup matches 

Also might depend on what Steve Clark thinks. It wouldn't surprise me if he has already guaranteed one of our keepers a slot barring a disaster from them. I'm sure each keeper, the club and SC all know the situation and have agreed to it.

This sounds very reasonable. A game each during the split is good. 

pettigrewsstylist
4 minutes ago, Homme said:

Gordon cup matches 

Totally. 

colinmaroon
24 minutes ago, jamborich said:

Can I just say it’s a bit premature to talk about the final but think Clark if we get there deserves it for his performances this season 

Pride cometh before the fall!  Morton will be nowhere near as easy to play against as Airdrie were, and they'll plough the pitch before the game.

It will be much more of a battle.

jamborich
3 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Pride cometh before the fall!  Morton will be nowhere near as easy to play against as Airdrie were, and they'll plough the pitch before the game.

Agree

tartofmidlothian

Like Klopp, whose first choice is Allison but he gives Kelleher all the domestic cup games.

Byyy The Light
28 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Have to agree. That pitch will be horrific 

Gorgie_Rules
7 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

How hard is this.  We play CG from now and then he nicks Clark’s Germany place 😩

Yeah, while its a great situation having two great keepers it is awkward for both of them and Naisy with the Euros looming in the summer.

Reality is, Gunn is likely ahead of the two of them in Steve Clarke’s pecking order, and likely both Gordon and Clark will go and sit on the bench.

However if Gordon gets a run of games and shows he is back to his usual level he potentially takes Gunn’s place. However the game time is at the expense of Clark who arguably doesn’t deserve to be dropped.

Due to the service he has gave us I think most Hearts fans would rather see Gordon back in for Hearts for a crack at start against Germany in the first game at the Euros, however Naisy would have to banish any (small) chance Clark has in the process.

GorgieFifeLife
23 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Clark and Gordon should both be on the plane to Germany. Gunn too.

If Gordon is only going to play cup games until the end of the season I’d say there is next to no chance of him going to Germany.  

1 minute ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

If Gordon is only going to play cup games until the end of the season I’d say there is next to no chance of him going to Germany.  

Disagree. If there are three goalkeeper spaces then he will be on that plane offering experience.

I reckon it's Clark that needs to play his way in.

PaddysBar

Clark in the league. Gordon in the cup. Once 3rd is secured one game each on rotation - they both go to the euros. 

Edited by PaddysBar

Cruickie's Moustache

As far as we can see Clarke's three goalies are Gunn, Clark and Kelly.

As Gordon seems fit enough and is getting game time he must trump Kelly as the 3rd choice based on experience.

HeartsandonlyHearts
2 hours ago, JJ93 said:

No. But you play your best player. Gordon is better than Clark.

HeartsandonlyHearts
1 hour ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Yeah, while its a great situation having two great keepers it is awkward for both of them and Naisy with the Euros looming in the summer.

Reality is, Gunn is likely ahead of the two of them in Steve Clarke’s pecking order, and likely both Gordon and Clark will go and sit on the bench.

However if Gordon gets a run of games and shows he is back to his usual level he potentially takes Gunn’s place. However the game time is at the expense of Clark who arguably doesn’t deserve to be dropped.

Due to the service he has gave us I think most Hearts fans would rather see Gordon back in for Hearts for a crack at start against Germany in the first game at the Euros, however Naisy would have to banish any (small) chance Clark has in the process.

Is Gunn back playing?

I know he was injured but have no idea if he is back playing.

Checked; back playing. Gives up loads of goals. Gordon is the answer for Scotland in Germany. JMO.

Edited by HeartsandonlyHearts

Opinionated Jambo

Unfortunately for some, nobody expected Hearts or Zander Clark to perform this well this season - especially at the start. In a normal world Craig Gordon would be back in the starting 11 right now since he returned from injury. However, things haven’t went the way any of us would have imagined in terms of the form the squad is in right now, this far in the season. There’s no real reason why Clark should be dropped for Gordon in the league games based on current form. It’s maybe sad for many fans but it’s just the way things are as it stands

It's  really hard one.

Listen I think Gordon is better.

But Clark has a ridiculous number of clean sheets this season and as a manager I think if SN does drop Clark then its potentially him done at Tynecastle. How do you explain to a guy that's kept a ridiculous number of clean sheets that you're out the side. 

Personally I don't see SN dropping Clark for league games at the minute 

Don't think he'll rock the boat, the form is too good. As others have said, the cups Gordon's including the final if we make it. 

CloustonHMFC

We should not and absolutely will not be dropping Clark. As much as folk don’t want to accept it, Gordon isn’t first choice anymore. And to be honest, based on our season he shouldn’t be either. 

It's difficult but at some point Naisy needs to be ruthless.

Zander hasn't let us down and played very well, but on form Gordon is the better goalie by far. The only way Gordon can find form is by playing matches. There is no reserve league.

Last night, Craig made a good save at 1-0 and commanded his box well. He brings a calmness to the whole team. It's time to make the change.

Zander's time will come, he's still got years 

6 hours ago, Opinionated Jambo said:

Unfortunately for some, nobody expected Hearts or Zander Clark to perform this well this season - especially at the start. In a normal world Craig Gordon would be back in the starting 11 right now since he returned from injury. However, things haven’t went the way any of us would have imagined in terms of the form the squad is in right now, this far in the season. There’s no real reason why Clark should be dropped for Gordon in the league games based on current form. It’s maybe sad for many fans but it’s just the way things are as it stands

Agree.  Gordon would’ve been back in earlier in the season if his injury wasn’t for as long as it was because Clark did have a wee spell of clangers over a few matches.

However, since then he’s cut the mistakes out and been solid and dependable.   We aren’t talking about a ropey goalkeeper we are desperate to be ousted again.  The manager needs to think about the long term implications of team spirit, trust and judgement in the eyes of the broader squad.  

If CG decides to retire at the end of his contract in 2025, Clark is our keeper as long as he maintains the standards he’s set/setting.  

Edited by Debut 4

tiger Rudi

Carry on "as is" with Gordon playing in the cup. Zander came here as back up and must surely know that any slip ups will see him lose his place. He deserves to hold on to it for the time being. 

Craig's handling was superb against Airdrie, his reaction save kept us on top too. He will be our number 1 before the season ends IMHO. 

If Naisy carries on giving them both game time, then both will go to the Euros. If Craig does get our number 1 slot before the end of the season, he just might be first pick for Scotland. I'm guessing Clarke will stick with Gunn tho! 

Can see Gordon getting a game in one of the friendlies. 

Personally, I think Gordon is the better keeper and based on what I know and what I've seen, I'd pick him every week.

However, you pick your best players based on what they do in matches and in training. We haven't seen them in training, and they've both been good in matches, so it's hard for us to say. 

1 hour ago, mscjambo said:

It's  really hard one.

But Clark has a ridiculous number of clean sheets this season and as a manager I think if SN does drop Clark then its potentially him done at Tynecastle. How do you explain to a guy that's kept a ridiculous number of clean sheets that you're out the side. 

Right so say Shankland gets injured, Tagawa for example comes in and does ok, few goals here and there and hasn't really done anything to deserve being dropped. Shankland then returns from injury do you really think he's not going to come back into the side? You'd explain it by saying look we've got one of the best forwards in the country back fit and he needs to play. Same reasoning should apply with Clark/Gordon.

I don't understand this logic of not being able to drop a keeper because he hasn't made made enough errors to deserve it. Why is this same logic not applied to outfielders too? Clark has had a few howlers this season let's not forget that. His positioning and handling is a lot to be desired and Gordon is far superior goalkeeper. It shouldn't matter if Clark personally feels a bit aggrieved, our best keeper should be playing every week, end of. 

8 hours ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Disagree. I think he is guaranteed a squad spot. Gunn is Clarke’s first choice. Gordon has immense experience and will take second spot as long as he is fit and playing. Marshall was dropped by his club before Euro 2020, so that won’t be an issue for Clarke. Third spot is between Clark and Kelly, and with Zander’s performances you would expect him to be in pole position.

I suspect only Gunn will see game time though - which is rough on CG as he deserves to play at a major finals during his career.

Edited by Doc Rob

AlimOzturk
6 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Right so say Shankland gets injured, Tagawa for example comes in and does ok, few goals here and there and hasn't really done anything to deserve being dropped. Shankland then returns from injury do you really think he's not going to come back into the side? You'd explain it by saying look we've got one of the best forwards in the country back fit and he needs to play. Same reasoning should apply with Clark/Gordon.

I don't understand this logic of not being able to drop a keeper because he hasn't made made enough errors to deserve it. Why is this same logic not applied to outfielders too? Clark has had a few howlers this season let's not forget that. His positioning and handling is a lot to be desired and Gordon is far superior goalkeeper. It shouldn't matter if Clark personally feels a bit aggrieved, our best keeper should be playing every week, end of. 

Massive difference here and you know it. If Tagawa if he came on leaps and bounds in Shanklands abscence he would be accompanied and both him and Shankland would play together. With regards to goal keepers that can’t happen. 

Long term, Clark is the Answer in goal. Stability between the sticks. Gordon playing cup games, maybe share European games? Is the answer. 

Unless of course Zander form drops

10 hours ago, JJ93 said:

He doesn't have to - Gordon is the better keeper.

9 hours ago, Benny Klack said:

Gordon will continue with all remaining cup games.

Clark will play all remaining league games.

The way I see it also, it keeps the both of them on their toes, they know one can replace the other.

Pans Jambo
1 hour ago, mscjambo said:

It's  really hard one.

This is sensible. We all love Craig Gordon but we first need to see a dip in Clark's form before we swap keepers. Its just the way it is in the real world. Unless CG is absolutely smashing it in training versus Zander then the gloves are Clark's for the time being and that's that.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I was all for Craig coming back in, but Zander has raised his levels, if he drops them Craig will come back, thought he had a couple of semi nervy moments yesterday, nearly at the halfway line first half though worked out well and he was anxious to mop another up 2nd half that the defender had in hand.

Luxury really to have 2 keepers at the level, McGovern looks mince :lol:

Harry Potter
26 minutes ago, Pingu said:

Personally, I think Gordon is the better keeper and based on what I know and what I've seen, I'd pick him every week.

However, you pick your best players based on what they do in matches and in training. We haven't seen them in training, and they've both been good in matches, so it's hard for us to say. 

Very hard choice having 2 great goalies, a good situation to be in, imho.

Benny Klack
6 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Dropping Clark when he’s been playing well would be poor management. 

If we are being sentimental then Gordon would be straight in but we can’t drop Zander on current form. That would be poor management IMO. 

If he does make a huge error then he’ll be replaced - both players will be aware of this and the positive for Hearts currently is that Zander appears to be thriving under this pressure. 

PapaShango
3 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Very hard choice having 2 great goalies, a good situation to be in, imho.

What a difference to the days of Zlamal and poppadum hands. 

tiger Rudi

As far as the Scotland set up goes, Gunn has also been out injured. It's maybe not a cast iron certainty that Gunn keeps his place. Will Clarke have learned from his last mistake, continuing to play Marshall "just because he got us there"?  Loyalty is a good quality, but not if it's to the detriment of the team. 

CG was obviously the better keeper in comparison to Marshall. 

I expect Gunn will be 1, CG 2 and Clark will be 3rd choice. 

Great position to be in tbh for us and Scotland. A fit Craig Gordon as deputy keeper. Seems wrong even thinking it! 

38 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Massive difference here and you know it. If Tagawa if he came on leaps and bounds in Shanklands abscence he would be accompanied and both him and Shankland would play together. With regards to goal keepers that can’t happen. 

Long term, Clark is the Answer in goal. Stability between the sticks. Gordon playing cup games, maybe share European games? Is the answer. 

Unless of course Zander form drops

Nah there isn't a massive difference here and I know it. I stick by my point. 

This wasn't about Tagawa, I could have named another striker, it was just an example but you've taken it the wrong way. I never said came on leaps and bounds either, I said did ok, just like Clark has been in goals this season. And sorry but no, Naismith wouldn't just change the whole formation and setup to shoehorn Tagawa in to play alongside Shankland because he'd done ok.

What's long term got to do with anything? We're talking about the here and now and we also have Gordon for another year anyway. Once again, you play your best players and Gordon is still the best we have.

OmiyaHearts
10 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

Might be wrong here, but don't Morton have a really good playing surface? Pretty sure their groundsman is highly rated and Celtic used to play reserve games at Cappielow because of the surface.