Top midfielders for ball retention under high pressure

jambobas

Gundermann
18 hours ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

Very under appreciated.

Hearts fans are fickle, the work both he does and Boyce brings(when fit) are parts of the game fans don't recognise.

Often find 95% of Hearts fans clueless, and with the knowledge you could write on a postage stamp.

👍

Well done Beni.  :clap:

Gundermann
17 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Color me shocked. But he's too slow and doesn't score screamers from 30 yards.

😄  Yeah, you almost see him freezing with fear when a chance presents himself. It's just not his thing. I guess if he curled in a few pearlers on top of his other work, he wouldn't be with us.

No Idle Talk

I wonder where Jim Bett would have been on this list. He was really good at that. 

1 hour ago, No Idle Talk said:

I wonder where Jim Bett would have been on this list. He was really good at that. 

And scored goals.  Not a dig at Beni before anyone spits teeth but all players have a different trait to their game. 

However, I do think it’s a mentality thing.  Some players are safe and need encouragement and work on the training ground to draw more out them in that respect.  

I remember the distinct change in Andy Irving under Stendel. Here you had a nice passer, but it was mostly a static game.  Under Stendel we suddenly saw him travel with the ball and get into positions his ability to pass could be more telling. 

I’ve never been a fan of stigmatised roles.  “Defensive mid” being one.  It’s a thing bred in the game that says to a player, “I’m not expected to do that”. 

Gillsland jack
20 hours ago, tiger Rudi said:

Or alternatively, is this a list of players so one paced that they are quickly surrounded and resort to passing the ball backwards 90% of the time? 

That was said in jest BTW, before anybody jumps on me! 

Are you the guy who sits behind me screaming, " pass it *** forwards for feck sake" at the top of his voice, as our defenders are passing it along the back line, keeping possession whilst trying to pick a pass?

Don't Worry Tiger Rudi, that was also in jest😄

No Idle Talk
46 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

And scored goals.  Not a dig at Beni before anyone spits teeth but all players have a different trait to their game. 

However, I do think it’s a mentality thing.  Some players are safe and need encouragement and work on the training ground to draw more out them in that respect.  

I remember the distinct change in Andy Irving under Stendel. Here you had a nice passer, but it was mostly a static game.  Under Stendel we suddenly saw him travel with the ball and get into positions his ability to pass could be more telling. 

I’ve never been a fan of stigmatised roles.  “Defensive mid” being one.  It’s a thing bred in the game that says to a player, “I’m not expected to do that”. 

I liked Andy Irving. He was a very good passer. A lot of people weren't fussed when he left but he is a player I was disappointed to see leave Hearts. 

Edited by No Idle Talk

Pete Elliott

I loved Savaltori and Brellier. Had JKB been around in those days they would have been slaughtered by morons for their lack of speed, creativity and goals.

24 minutes ago, Pete Elliott said:

I loved Savaltori and Brellier. Had JKB been around in those days they would have been slaughtered by morons for their lack of speed, creativity and goals.

I’m sure JKB was around when Brellier was playing although maybe on a different server. I agree with your point of course, I think some only acknowledge a decent holding midfielder if they fly into slide tackles which is why many don’t rate Busquets as highly as they should 

22 hours ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

Very under appreciated.

Hearts fans are fickle, the work both he does and Boyce brings(when fit) are parts of the game fans don't recognise.

Often find 95% of Hearts fans clueless, and with the knowledge you could write on a postage stamp.

Oh so true.

tiger Rudi
1 hour ago, Gillsland jack said:

Are you the guy who sits behind me screaming, " pass it *** forwards for feck sake" at the top of his voice, as our defenders are passing it along the back line, keeping possession whilst trying to pick a pass?

Don't Worry Tiger Rudi, that was also in jest😄

🤣 I think everybody that goes to the games has one of those guys sitting behind them. Joking aside, I think when Fraser gets up to speed we shall see more risks being taken finding a forward pass. I also think Dhanda will be a good signing. He's maybe not getting on the ball in forward areas as much playing for a struggling County, but with our high possession %'s, I think he will flourish here. 

43 minutes ago, Smithian said:

Who’s the midfield three when Devlin is healthy?

Beni, Tait, tombola pick

7 hours ago, Smithian said:

Who’s the midfield three when Devlin is healthy?

Depends on who we are playing I guess. 

There’s an argument you play Cam and Beni +1 v the OF. 

There’s a conversation to be had about if we need both v the bottom six teams. Cam’s best work is off the ball and we have a high possession share against those teams. He can only poach the ball back if they have it. 

Would expect Naismith to go Beni, Hoff, Fraser/Grant to start with. Think Cam will need to earn the shirt back - much as I like him. 

On 08/02/2024 at 15:07, RustyRightPeg said:

Color me shocked. But he's too slow and doesn't score screamers from 30 yards.

Never seen him save a penalty either... :angry:

Pete Elliott
40 minutes ago, Boof said:

Never seen him save a penalty either... :angry:

Absolutely. 😡 Far too much of a gamble offering him a new comtract.